• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorg1000

Banned
Jul 22, 2019
So it's looking like thanks to Sinema in particular, Dems will have to waste a reconciliation on the debt ceiling? Will that matter in the long run? Presumably they wouldn't need it anyway?

These complaints over Manchin's houseboat are laughable. Yes, he's rich and corrupt, and he makes $500K a year from a coal company he used to own, which his son now owns. These are real and significant issues. But whining about his houseboat in DC? LOL. He's a 74 year old man who has worked all his life, and you folks here are suggesting he should share a house rental, or what, sleep on the sofa in his DC office? Come on. That's a cheap residence for DC, and Congress people get no housing allowance, which surprised me but there you go. It's why AOC was complaining about being unable to rent a place before her higher salary kicked in. And they have to maintain a home in their district too, so this system already favors the wealthy. Maybe they should have means tested housing allowances for Congress people.

Anyone suggesting that because they can't afford to buy a home therefore a 74 year old who has worked all their life shouldn't either, is ridiculous.

P.S. Betsy DeVos had a $40M yacht, and about nine more boats, and two helicopters, and....

Owning a houseboat in itself isn't the issue, it's the optics of yelling about entitlements from the balcony of the houseboat.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
can you imagine the stories that would come from a congressional dorm

we should build them for that alone

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Jan. 6 committee's Stephanie Murphy on MSNBC: "We intend to enforce our subpoenas, and the first step will be for us to pursue criminal contempt — I fully expect this DOJ to uphold and enforce that subpoena."

Today's the day to see if the committee has any teeth, and if Garland is remotely interested in getting his hands dirty.

I feel...optimistic? Unlike when Trump was president/Barr led the DoJ, the power dynamic is different. Instead of Democrats suing to enforce subpoena power against the executive, Trump's inner circle will (hypothetically) have to sue to get out of jail when they are held in contempt.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
image1.png

www.dataforprogress.org

Poll: Kyrsten Sinema Poised to Lose Democratic Primary in 2024

Sen. Sinema's net approval stands at -45 percentage points, with 70% of AZ Democratic primary voters disapproving of the job she is doing.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017

Can't help old people get their teeth fixed too easy in this country. Gotta make sure they have to jump through some flaming hoops first.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Today's the day to see if the committee has any teeth, and if Garland is remotely interested in getting his hands dirty.

I feel...optimistic? Unlike when Trump was president/Barr led the DoJ, the power dynamic is different. Instead of Democrats suing to enforce subpoena power against the executive, Trump's inner circle will (hypothetically) have to sue to get out of jail when they are held in contempt.

I'm incredibly disappointed in Garland and the paltry 30 day sentences DoJ pursued for the Jan 6th Insurrectionists. He is not even going to pursue any Obstruction charges on Trump from the Mueller probe, even after Mueller clearly determined that Trump can be prosecuted after he is out of office. The statute of limitations regarding Trump payoff to Stormy Daniels expires on 10/27. Michael Cohen did 3 years in the can for his role but Trump is going to walk free in two weeks. DoJ can pursue this, but they're not going to.

Garland is a fucking disaster on anyone hoping he would pursue Trump shit. So it doesn't give me much hope on whatever he's going to do here.

May 26, 2018
I'm incredibly disappointed in Garland and the paltry 30 day sentences DoJ pursued for the Jan 6th Insurrectionists. He is not even going to pursue any Obstruction charges on Trump from the Mueller probe, even after Mueller clearly determined that Trump can be prosecuted after he is out of office. The statute of limitations regarding Trump payoff to Stormy Daniels expires on 10/27. Michael Cohen did 3 years in the can for his role but Trump is going to walk free in two weeks. DoJ can pursue this, but they're not going to.

Garland is a fucking disaster on anyone hoping he would pursue Trump shit. So it doesn't give me much hope on whatever he's going to do here.

Gives you a peek into what kind of Justice he would've been.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.

I honestly don't think they'll really enforce the subpoenas. I would love to see these asshats arrested for defying them, but they won't.
The days of people working (or having had worked) for the government getting arrested and charged is over.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
He has the house boat because he doesn't want to be bothered

That's why protestors are forced to kayak out to him.
Manchin has had that boat since 2013. Was he regularly getting protested before this year? Most of the time he's owned that thing we've been in the minority in the Senate.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020

Can't help old people get their teeth fixed too easy in this country. Gotta make sure they have to jump through some flaming hoops first.

One of the things I really hate about Democrats is that they think of almost every public program as government-sponsored charity for the poor. This contrasts with... pretty much everywhere else, where public programs are more often than not considered universal services. Most other countries have programs for the poor, but they do not treat every program like this.

I swear, if public roads were not so common place already, Democrats would try to build all toll roads and hand out toll-free passes to the poor.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020

It is disgraceful how the Jan 6 domestic terrorists are getting off so easily.

Guess if you're a white, GQP, christian you can get away with anything.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to a couple of lawyers on with Chris Hayes last night, they said that if Trump's cronies defy the subpoena's (which they will) the only real way to put immediate pressure on them to testify anytime soon is for the DOJ to file civil charges against them and ask a judge to expedite their rulings. But the kicker is that those that are charged have to wait in jail until a ruling comes down. At least that's how I understood it.

The other options, they argued, would lead to exactly what we saw during impeachment. The likes of Banon etc will slow walk everything using the courts and run out the clock for a year or more until the GOP will likely be in control. Then there's zero accountability of course.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

Meh if the centrists weren't being assholes we wouldn't have to have this debate, it would all just be included. Arbitrarily lowering the price tag on recon to satisfy some sick obsession with government spending means choices have to be made. I sympathize with someone struggling to decide whether ensuring the Medicaid expansion is in effect even for red states or making benefits more generous for seniors on Medicare is more important.

Elect more Democrats who can drown out Manchin/Sinema/House blue dogs' objections and we get it all.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Yeah, it's really poor. Dems didn't owe Garland anything. It was Mitch who screwed him over.

It's also disappointing that Clown skates on obstruction of justice charges, while simultaneously encouraging more obstruction of justice (telling his former employees to ignore subpoenas), and that he and Cohen are caught for the same crime yet one does three years prison and the other has zero consequences. I can only assume that Clown was a literal saint in a previous life, to win the birth lottery the way he did.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey

should've been doug jones. i really hate the idea of giving garland something because he lost his SC seat.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
I feel like Dems are trying to do everything possible to get costs down, and one way to do that is to do means-testing. It sucks, but it's one option they have to meet the cost restraints of the conservative Dems.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
RNCC emails are getting insane:

No one with even the slightest amount of dignity would positively respond to those communications or make any kind of donation. Hell, I get offended by the ones from Dems sometimes acting like the world is going to end tomorrow if I don't open up my wallet. This is beyond the pale though.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

His campaign is like the snapchat interface, trying to filter out anyone old enough to remember Obama's 2012 campaign slogan.

Manchin has had that boat since 2013. Was he regularly getting protested before this year? Most of the time he's owned that thing we've been in the minority in the Senate.

I've seen plenty of images of Manchin dealing with protestors over the years...remember when people got arrested for squatting in his campaign office for his Kavanaugh vote?

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
If a political party called me a "traitor" for having donated in the past but not recently, I would reconsider my support.

I guess some people like emotional punishment?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
No one with even the slightest amount of dignity would positively respond to those communications or make any kind of donation. Hell, I get offended by the ones from Dems sometimes acting like the world is going to end tomorrow if I don't open up my wallet. This is beyond the pale though.
You think any MAGAts have dignity?

Oct 22, 2020
If we're ultimately forced to choose between closing the Medicaid coverage gap and expanding Medicare benefits, I'm going with the former.

We shouldn't have to choose, but since we likely will, I choose Medicaid.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm assuming with contempt of court charges going out the right will try and both sides this. Both Janet Reno and Eric Holder were in contempt of court and never appeared, correct?

Superbagman

Nov 3, 2017
So, is Manchin really living on that boat whenever he's in DC? Because I sincerely doubt he spends any time in the winter on that boat. That's where I'm skeptical about the whole situation. Because saying "he lives on a modest house boat" sounds great in theory, but something tells me he's not out there in the winter and that would mean another domicile—which looks even worse than just a houseboat.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
So I generally think the media in this country is terrible. Just awful.

So it takes me by surprise when Good Morning America (Seriously, Good Morning America) airs one of the best pieces on the ongoing strikes in the country that I've seen all year.

Status
Not open for further replies.