Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
As long as oil stays low, gas prices will come down. It's a factor of two things: hedging against future price increases, and the classic prisoner's dilemma situation gas station owners are always stuck in. The former will become less of a factor as prices stay down, and the latter will keep going until somebody balks; there's good money to be made keeping prices high for everybody, but HUGE money to be made if you're the first person to drop them significantly.

Matter of time. Just hope it's long enough before the midterms to have an effect on price worries.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
As long as oil stays low, gas prices will come down. It's a factor of two things: hedging against future price increases, and the classic prisoner's dilemma situation gas station owners are always stuck in. The former will become less of a factor as prices stay down, and the latter will keep going until somebody balks; there's good money to be made keeping prices high for everybody, but HUGE money to be made if you're the first person to drop them significantly.

Matter of time. Just hope it's long enough before the midterms to have an effect on price worries.

What about the inflation going on? Is the apparent lowering of oil and gas prices having an effect?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

You give too much credence to market forces and other capitalism fancy words when its nothing but price fixing by oil cartels. Oil prices have fuck all to do with price at pump. Price Per Barrell has been at the rate as it was in 2013-2014 yet the price of gas is high as ever. The price at the pump is ticking downward currently because of the public outcry and the president blaming them. As soon as that stops, they will go back up.

The reason why I say this is because Aramco is still pumping oil. There is no boycott by the middle east on oil exports like there was during the 70s stagflation period. BP, Shell are still drilling in the Gulf and Trump even opened up ANWR for drilling.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What about the inflation going on? Is the apparent lowering of oil and gas prices having an effect?
Everyday expenses probably will. Like Thordinson said, though, rent and housing inflation is unlikely to change until significant state and local reforms happen, but the prices people see at the grocery store will start going down (or at least stop going up for a while).
You give too much credence to market forces and other capitalism fancy words when its nothing but price fixing by oil cartels. Oil prices have fuck all to do with price at pump. Price Per Barrell has been at the rate as it was in 2013-2014 yet the price of gas is high as ever. The price at the pump is ticking downward currently because of the public outcry and the president blaming them. As soon as that stops, they will go back up.

The reason why I say this is because Aramco is still pumping oil. There is no boycott by the middle east on oil exports like there was during the 70s stagflation period. BP, Shell are still drilling in the Gulf and Trump even opened up ANWR for drilling.
Most gas station prices are set locally, though. Cartelization happens, but not on a wide scale - rather, it's a bunch of little cartels, that're mostly local owners talking to each other and trying to figure out if the competition is going to lower prices yet. It's not stable, but like I said, there's a time lag.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Sort of wild to me that people needed to be reminded that Republican means anti-choice
People tend not to believe Republicans actually want to do the things they say they want to do; this is mostly because the media does a godawful job of treating Republicans like they're actual serious actors. When a Republican does offer an attempt at real policy, they get the "wonk" tag and get talked about like they're one of those 5th grade "inventor" prodigies from human interest stories without actually looking into what their policy would do. And when they offer unserious, dangerous policy ideas, they're just "firebrands."

So, for most voters, Republicans get the huge benefit of assumed expertise based on identity, and a lot of slack because people think of them as the party of the status quo - even if they vote Republican to punish Dems, it's not like they'll change anything, surely.

(This is actually the reason why I'm convinced Roe will shift the needle; less because of moral outrage, and more because it reminded people that Republicans actually do have an agenda)

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Most gas station prices are set locally, though.

Right, it's your neighbors who are jacking up the price for the most part.

Here in Brighton, you can see gas prices vary by as much as 50 cents a gallon depending on the month and the gas station. Why? Because some gas station owners take advantage of being near places that out-of-towners visit (like colleges, airports, etc...). The locals shop around but visitors just get ripped off.

In small towns, it's even easier. You got like 3 gas stations so that's just 3 people who have to artificially inflate prices. But as you mentioned, eventually someone balks and cuts the legs out from the other two.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
It might but a large part of inflation is housing costs. Rent isn't really going down. At least, not around here.

Everyday expenses probably will. Like Thordinson said, though, rent and housing inflation is unlikely to change until significant state and local reforms happen, but the prices people see at the grocery store will start going down (or at least stop going up for a while).

I should've clarified about it being the inflation of everyday expenses and not the housing, that's what I was referring to. My bad!

The housing prices are awful though, and it stinks that's not going away anytime soon. It seems voters are more annoyed at the inflation of everyday expenses though...

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I should've clarified about it being the inflation of everyday expenses and not the housing, that's what I was referring to. My bad!

The housing prices are awful though, and it stinks that's not going away anytime soon. It seems voters are more annoyed at the inflation of everyday expenses though...

Rent increasing drastically makes it harder for folks to afford everyday expenses.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Anyone looking for some schadenfreude should be following Boris getting repeatedly stabbed in the back. It's incredibly entertaining. Not sure he'll go today. Not sure he won't. Sure he's fucked though. The only question is if he drags the party down with him by calling an election.

Iron_Maw

Banned
Nov 4, 2021
It doesn't get attention because folks don't get credit for trying. Not only that, I don't think I've seen House Dems talk about what they've tried to pass specifically. They may have but I'm blanking on it right now. Hammering it home might help.

House Dems have definitely talked about some of these bills, probably not share number though. But underscires the problem with Dems not have a left version of Fox News report on all that stuff. But other point of that is just its been difficult for them pass stuff doesn't mean they stopped working.

I keep telling everyone: if we're not talking about how the media ecosystem fucks over dems and supports reactionaries, literally nothing else matters. There's no strategy, no messaging, none of it, that can get through the media wall and figuring out how to fix this is the single most pressing issue of our time. I think its even more important than things like senate reform and court reform, we have got to find a way to effectively influence the mass narrative

Not just that but whole lack of civics education is also as much of a problem on the right as it is on the left too. A lot of folks don't seem to understand that Dems have enough power as much of their numbers and unity on any given issue allows. There is massive difference Dem Congress with 52-54 Senate than 50 Dem Senate because with former a president some actually has wiggle room pass his laws.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
FW_G9t-WAAMwaWH

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sort of wild to me that people needed to be reminded that Republican means anti-choice

The Obama 2012 campaign team literally showed people Romney/Ryan's plan from their campaign website to gut Medicare to pieces and privatize it and those voters literally didn't believe it was real. Well, obviously, the Democrat's aren't perfect, the voters also don't want to believe that the leadership and many voters are that psychotic.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Is it better if activists, Congressional candidates, and local organizers lead the messaging on abortion than the WH?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm old enough to remember when former Pres Clinton speaking privately to the AG one time was a huge, huge scandal. Now Republicans have their own private AG and their own private SC, inter-connections and private dealings everywhere, and it's no big deal.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/AP/status/1544456092545064960

edition.cnn.com

Great Salt Lake is 'in trouble' as level falls to lowest on record for second year in a row | CNN

The Great Salt Lake in Utah has dropped to its lowest level on record for the second time in less than a year as a climate change-fueled megadrought tightens its grip in the West.
The Great Salt Lake in Utah has dropped to its lowest level on record for the second time in less than a year as a climate change-fueled megadrought tightens its grip in the West.

The lake's surface water elevation fell to 4,190 feet on Sunday, according to data from the US Geological Survey -- below the previous record set in 2021 and the lowest it has ever been since it was first measured in the mid-1800s. Before last year, the lake's low record was 4,191.4 feet in October 1963.
Utah officials are now calling for "urgent action" to preserve the Great Salt Lake amid its third straight year of decline.
"It's clear the lake is in trouble," Utah Department of Natural Resources Executive Director Joel Ferry said in a statement. "We recognize more action and resources are needed, and we are actively working with the many stakeholders who value the lake."

Water usage and the climate change-fueled drought are behind the lake's decline, said David O'Leary, investigative studies chief with USGS Utah Water Science Center.

apnews.com

Great Salt Lake hits new historic low for 2nd time in a year

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Great Salt Lake has hit a new historic low for the second time in less than a year as the ongoing megadrought worsened by climate change continues to shrink the largest natural lake west of the Mississippi.
Dwindling water levels at the giant lake just west of Salt Lake City puts millions of migrating birds at risk and threatens a lake-based economy that's worth an estimated $1.3 billion in mineral extraction, brine shrimp and recreation. The expanding amount of dry lakebed could also send arsenic-laced dust into the air that millions breathe, scientists say.
The state's Republican-led Legislature is trying to find ways to reverse the trend, but it won't be easy. Water has been diverted away from the lake for years for homes and crops in the nation's fastest-growing state that is also one of the driest.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think it's just progressives upset with Biden, that's not going to swing it that much because there simply aren't that many out there to begin with even if they all swung at the same time.

I think even among gen-x liberals and moderates there's a growing frustration that the ossified elected leadership of the party just isn't equipped to react to modern challenges of governance. This isn't a variation of the 'Do SoMeThInG' crowd, it's more that you doom stuff like HR1 and BBB to death when it's these giant mega loaded bills assembled from off the shelf policy components, lack of more support for 'Gang of N' brokered deals, younger Democrats fleeing Congress for other jobs due to seniority, etc.

I think moderates are also sort of buying into some of the conservative outreach rhetoric that Democrats in office are co-opted on policy by activists running their staffs and those people serving a wide progressive spread of beliefs and goals and advocate for them to officeholders and candidates. I've talked to people in my area, and the wedge isn't actually social issues (though that is a HOT mess) as much as energy policy. This erodes Biden's approval, but doesn't necessarily erode support for Democrats because those same moderates are aghast at how comfortable the GOP is with illiberalism.

I also still think that no matter that almost everyone thinks Republicans are worse. A lot of people vote out of civic nationalist duty, and even if they aren't "happy" with one party or another they will still vote according to their preferences for who they would like to see administering the government.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/AP/status/1544456092545064960

edition.cnn.com

Great Salt Lake is 'in trouble' as level falls to lowest on record for second year in a row | CNN

apnews.com

Great Salt Lake hits new historic low for 2nd time in a year

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Great Salt Lake has hit a new historic low for the second time in less than a year as the ongoing megadrought worsened by climate change continues to shrink the largest natural lake west of the Mississippi.

This water shortage story should be the biggest story in the country. It has the potential to be the catalyst for the biggest population shift we've seen in decades. Nobody seems to be talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.