Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
His excuse is hilarious.

Never mind that he still hasn't condemned Fuentes. Never mind his own history here ("both sides" etc.) It's insane to be claiming a President can be having dinner with someone that nobody knows is going to be there.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

He isn't better than this and never was. I am so sick of these weasels trying to rehabilitate his image

Fucking sad

Hint - it's because for them it's not about anti semitism. It's about upholding Israeli apartheid at all costs. Trump is a tool for them to do that.

Let's all remember the white nationalists marching saying "Jews will not replace us". That never stopped these AIPAC adjacent folks from cozying up to Trump, because they don't actually care about or value Jewish lives.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say it is demoralizing af when blue ass places like NYC or SF implement bleak ass policies like forcibly institutionalizing people or giving cop's robots lethal explosives.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say it is demoralizing af when blue ass places like NYC or SF implement bleak ass policies like forcibly institutionalizing people or giving cop's robots lethal explosives.
It's what happens when even mainstream, non-Fox News media outlets perpetuate the "big cities are third world hellscapes" narrative. People are buying it.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
It's what happens when even mainstream, non-Fox News media outlets perpetuate the "big cities are third world hellscapes" narrative. People are buying it.

But these people actually live in those places! You can't buy lies from out of towners about the place you live that doesn't even make sense

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's the right decision.

a) The country can't afford a rail strike.

b) Congress shouldn't be jumping in at the last minute to change deals that have been made and agreed upon by companies and unions over a period of many months, in this case where the majority of unions have already voted yes, and somewhere around 50% of all union members have voted yes.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
It's the right decision.

a) The country can't afford a rail strike.

b) Congress shouldn't be jumping in at the last minute to change deals that have been made and agreed upon by companies and unions over a period of many months, in this case where the majority of unions have already voted yes, and somewhere around 50% of all union members have voted yes.

I'll support the workers who voted no striking if they want to. They should absolutely ignore Congress if they don't like the deal.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Even if more than 50% like the deal, you'd still be in favor of a massively damaging strike that results in huge job losses and economic pain across the country.

Yes, if the folks in the unions that don't agree to the deal want to strike. If they don't want to strike and are okay with the deal, then they shouldn't.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Even if more than 50% like the deal, you'd still be in favor of a massively damaging strike that results in huge job losses and economic pain across the country.
I guess the real question is why the railroad workers are being burdened with this decision, and why not the railroad barons? We can easily ask the the bosses and the railroad companies "why do you want to cause huge job losses and economic pain across the country" instead of the frontline workers being forced to work while sick.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I guess the real question is why the railroad workers are being burdened with this decision, and why not the railroad barons? We can easily ask the the bosses and the railroad companies "why do you want to cause huge job losses and economic pain across the country" instead of the frontline workers being forced to work while sick.
You keep saying "forced to work while sick". AFAICT, they can take unpaid days, for which a huge pay raise will be very helpful. I have read there are cases where people can be disciplined for taking days, I don't know the full story there.

Again, somewhere around 50% of union members have already voted in favor of this deal.

infamous5445

Dec 3, 2019
Should have included the 7 day sick leave amendment in the bill. It realllly looks and sounds like Democrats/Biden do not want the railroad workers to have paid sick leave.
Senate will probably vote on Bernie's amendment to do that (which will fail). If they took up a bill that already had that it would be stripped regardless so I don't understand what the alternative was there.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Would that have gotten enough votes in House and Senate from the >50% GOP?
Possibly, if they struck it right. Decoupling it is just a way to drown it in a bathtub.
You keep saying "forced to work while sick". AFAICT, they can take unpaid days, for which a huge pay raise will be very helpful. I have read there are cases where people can be disciplined for taking days, I don't know the full story there.

Again, somewhere around 50% of union members have already voted in favor of this deal.
I highly doubt any of the railworkers will take unpaid days. They will come in to work while sick. Because, who wants to leave free money on the table? I don't.

As for 50% simple majority, that is not how Solidarity works in a union. Lot of the members who agreed to ratify the deal said they will support their peers who did not ratify the deal if they decide to walk off their job.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1598324870315708416

www.thedailybeast.com

Congress Seat Could Flip if Arizona’s Officials Don’t Certify Election in Time

GOP officials in Arizona’s Cochise County’s are stonewalling on certifying the election—and it could imperil a Republican candidate’s victory in the midterms.

Republican Juan Ciscomani's victory should be a lock already. The winner in Arizona's competitive 6th Congressional District, Ciscomani defeated his Democratic opponent by more than 5,000 votes.
But a procedural hiccup stands between Ciscomani and his hard-won congressional seat. AZ-06 contains Cochise County, a solidly red county where officials have refused to certify the midterm results, in violation of a state deadline. If Arizona officials don't have Cochise County's vote totals by the time of their state-level certification next week, all of Cochise's votes could be tossed out, costing Ciscomani his victory.
Don't worry, Cochise supervisors say. They'll have the votes in soon.
"We are gonna certify it," Cochise County Supervisor Peggy Judd told The Daily Beast on Wednesday.
"We're just trying to get some answers to things about the machines. We full well intend to certify it. Why would we not? You know? So we're going to, we're just holding off as long as we can, doing things that are legal for us to do, no matter what they say. It's so weird, we've been kind of dealing with this the whole time. They keep telling us 'That's illegal. You're gonna go to jail,' but it hasn't been so, you know, law is up to interpretation. Only the judge in the end can say."
Those legal threats date back to before the election.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
This is why the paid sick leave is such a massive deal in railroad industry
The answer, in short, is "P.S.R." — or precision-scheduled railroading.

P.S.R. is an operational strategy that aims to minimize the ratio between railroads' operating costs and their revenues through various cost-cutting and (ostensibly) efficiency-increasing measures. The basic idea is to transport more freight using fewer workers and railcars.

One way to do this is to make trains longer: A single 100-car train requires less track space than two 50-car ones since you need to maintain some distance between the latter. More critically, one very long train requires fewer crew members to run than two medium ones.

Another way to get more with less is to streamline scheduling so that trains are running at full capacity as often as possible.

All this has worked out poorly for rail workers writ large. Over the past six years, America's major freight carriers have shed 30 percent of their employees. To compensate for this lost staffing, remaining workers must tolerate irregular schedules and little time off since the railroads don't have much spare labor capacity left.
For shippers, the problems with P.S.R. are twofold. First, and most fundamentally, the dominant rail firms feel little need to pass on the fruits of their "efficiencies" to their customers. Decades of consolidation have left the U.S. with only seven Class I railroad companies. Four of those companies collectively control more than 83 percent of the freight market. And the vast majority of train stations in the U.S. are served by exactly one railroad.
The second problem with P.S.R., from the shippers' standpoint, is that its scheduling is less precise than advertised. Eliminating spare labor or train cars may render railroads more efficient mechanisms for translating investment into profits. But such fragile systems aren't necessarily efficient for bringing freight from one place to another, especially in a world where natural disasters and public-health crises exist.

In early 2021, when the acute phase of the COVID pandemic ended and economic demand spiked, freight carriers' operations were derailed by their own "efficiencies." For a week last July, Union Pacific had to suspend service between Chicago and Los Angeles while it reopened shuttered rail ramps and reconfigured operations in order to keep pace with rising orders. Similar disruptions afflicted the other major carriers, as The American Prospect details.
The short answer is, Capitalism At Work. Sick Leave causes issues in shift schedules. We want to stretch the railroad workers thin by having them ready and on-call for the trains. The thing people should be mad about is, why aren't railroad companies hiring MORE workers to cover the shifts, but instead forcing the few workers to work without sickpay to cover each other's shifts?

nymag.com

Why America’s Railroads Refuse to Give Their Workers Paid Leave

Wall Street’s new robber barons can’t make the trains run on time.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
If their work is as important as you say, the strike shouldn't last long and they'll get their sick pay.
Why would Railroad operators have to cave? They have the backstop of knowing that the federal government will step in. Unions will take the licking in public perception and I guarantee you preventing Unions from holding the country hostage will be a very popular platform for the GOP in the next election.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
[1] I highly doubt any of the railworkers will take unpaid days. They will come in to work while sick. Because, who wants to leave free money on the table? I don't.

[2] As for 50% simple majority, that is not how Solidarity works in a union. Lot of the members who agreed to ratify the deal said they will support their peers who did not ratify the deal if they decide to walk off their job.
[1] Well that's not the same as "forced".

[2] I understand that. I just can't get behind people agreeing to shut the rail down and all the negative consequences of that, over a deal that around 50% of members have already voted yes to. I could understand supporting a shutdown if say only 20% or 25% had voted in favor of the deal, but that's not the case here. It's called pragmatism.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1598349515144282114?s=20&t=ekZ2APJtoeANRqz6YjEQxA

I'M
WITH
HER
SHEL​

DVuEq4B.gif

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Tragically, unless Manchin and Sinema would be OK with doing something about the filibuster (they won't) a 7 sick day amendment would make the bill fail.

The Railroad companies know the general public will (unfairly and wrongly) will blame the workers and Biden if a strike happens and causes major economic disruption.

Couple that with the GOP getting the house next month, and we have a no win situation here.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt any of the railworkers will take unpaid days. They will come in to work while sick. Because, who wants to leave free money on the table? I don't.
There are some pretty awful anecdotes about workers doing just that here:

nymag.com

Why America’s Railroads Refuse to Give Their Workers Paid Leave

Wall Street’s new robber barons can’t make the trains run on time.

Last June, one middle-aged union engineer postponed a doctor's visit for work then died of a heart attack on the job weeks later. A conductor who spoke with the Times began feeling rundown last year but declined to see a doctor for fear of being disciplined for taking an unplanned day off. Instead, he waited months for the next doctor's appointment that aligned with a scheduled day off. He then learned he'd been suffering from an infection that could have been treated with medication weeks earlier but would now require surgery.
Edit: I see you posted the same article 11 minutes ago! Serves me right for replying before getting through the thread. Well, it's a good article that I found very clarifying, so hopefully people read it.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Tragically, unless Manchin and Sinema would be OK with doing something about the filibuster (they won't) a 7 sick day amendment would make the bill fail.

The Railroad companies know the general public will (unfairly and wrongly) will blame the workers and Biden if a strike happens and causes major economic disruption.

Couple that with the GOP getting the house next month, and we have a no win situation here.
Why this is so difficult for the thread in OT to understand is baffling to me. Even if Biden came out and strongly supported the workers' decision to strike, the end result would've been the same because still need 60 votes, right?

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

The cost of gasoline is falling so fast that it is beginning to put real money back in the pockets of drivers, defying earlier projections and offering an unexpected gift for the holidays.
Filling up is now as cheap as it was in February, just before Russia's invasion of Ukraine touched off a global energy crisis. AAA reported the average nationwide price of a gallon of regular Wednesday was $3.50, and gas price tracking company GasBuddy projected it could drop below $3 by Christmas. And all of that relief probably helped drive robust shopping over Thanksgiving weekend.

View: https://twitter.com/BrendanNyhan/status/1598327031950974979

MKXIR2h.png

Oct 27, 2017
Why this is so difficult for the thread in OT to understand is baffling to me. Even if Biden came out and strongly supported the workers' decision to strike, the end result would've been the same because still need 60 votes, right?
Then let Republicans be the bad guy? Why should Biden torch his relationship with Labor all on his own?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Politically, letting the strike happen feels like the right move. It's just after an election, we're not going to get shit done after January anyway, and by 2024 this'll be ancient history. Now is the time to get the biggest change with the lowest political cost.

Due to the highly disruptive nature of the strike in question, it could have significant ripple effects, too. Forcing the railways to actually staff up to reasonable levels will probably improve service, for one. For another, we'd be massively empowering unions, which has all kinds of beneficial impacts down the road.

I get the arguments that the short term pain isn't worth it, but idk, I really think we'd have been better off doing nothing.

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
Yeah, I don't get it either.

Yeah, unless Manchin and Sinema suddenly change their stance on the filibuster, 60 votes are needed.

This is a lose-lose no win situation.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Then let Republicans be the bad guy? Why should Biden torch his relationship with Labor all on his own?
I think you have WAY more faith that the average American will place the blame where it actually belongs than I do. In the same way huge numbers of people around the country blamed Biden directly for high gas prices and groceries and had his approval rating in the gutter, they would directly blame him if the economy implodes just before the holiday period if he had made himself the face of the strike.

We lost a damn Governor's race in blue Virginia in large part because idiot voters believed the CRT scare and that teachers were indoctrinating their kids, for fucks sake. And you think Biden going on TV and saying "they should strike until the billionaire rail barons give in," hence causing hardship for millions wouldn't see him getting destroyed politically?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I think you have WAY more faith that the average American will place the blame where it actually belongs than I do. In the same way huge numbers of people around the country blamed Biden directly for high gas prices and groceries and had his approval rating in the gutter, they would directly blame him if the economy implodes just before the holiday period if he had made himself the face of the strike.

We lost a damn Governor's race in blue Virginia in large part because idiot voters believed the CRT scare and that teachers were indoctrinating their kids, for fucks sake. And you think Biden going on TV and saying "they should strike until the billionaire rail barons give in," hence causing hardship for millions wouldn't see him getting destroyed politically?

View: https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1598323909853683712?s=20&t=ywbgdyBP7tA656q4egbXrA

As for VA Gov, Taking a localized issue in Virginia and applying it to nationwide body politic does not work.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
[1] Well that's not the same as "forced".

[2] I understand that. I just can't get behind people agreeing to shut the rail down and all the negative consequences of that, over a deal that around 50% of members have already voted yes to. I could understand supporting a shutdown if say only 20% or 25% had voted in favor of the deal, but that's not the case here. It's called pragmatism.
Forced by circumstances, forced by situation, or even implicitly forced by the companies on penalty of discipline. Take your pick.

Again, Solidarity does not work in Union world like that. You're taking your political simple majority rules and pragmatism and applying it to a union. Even if one union out of 12 did not agree, solidarity means you stand with them. You dont force a shit deal.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017

Captain_Vyse

Jun 24, 2020
The American people largely support lots of things initially. Then support wanes the longer things go on. I remember BLM protests a couple of years ago polling well at first. Then it completely flipped.
Yep, they support it on principle at first.

However, the second they are feeling the ramifications of the strike, the public will start to turn against the workers. Especially since this will disrupt more than just luxury items.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The American people largely support lots of things initially. Then support wanes the longer things go on. I remember BLM protests a couple of years ago polling well at first. Then it completely flipped.
Or it can grow in support once you tell them what the details are. The poll did not even specify the issue for the strike - Paid Sick Leave.

Regardless - it doesn't matter what polls say or what people at large think. Do the RIGHT thing and give workers their sick days.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Politically, letting the strike happen feels like the right move. It's just after an election, we're not going to get shit done after January anyway, and by 2024 this'll be ancient history. Now is the time to get the biggest change with the lowest political cost.

Due to the highly disruptive nature of the strike in question, it could have significant ripple effects, too. Forcing the railways to actually staff up to reasonable levels will probably improve service, for one. For another, we'd be massively empowering unions, which has all kinds of beneficial impacts down the road.

I get the arguments that the short term pain isn't worth it, but idk, I really think we'd have been better off doing nothing.
If Biden let the strike happen they'd lose 2024 and I don't think even Trump's negativity would overcome just how sour the public would be towards him and the Dems.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Or it can grow in support once you tell them what the details are. The poll did not even specify the issue for the strike - Paid Sick Leave.

Regardless - it doesn't matter what polls say or what people at large think. Do the RIGHT thing and give workers their sick days.
Bet you anything that after a few weeks to a month of huge price increases and shortages the support would not grow.

Oct 29, 2017
He should have come out strongly for the people who voted for him because its the right thing to do, even if they can't get the votes and Congress passes this bill. People are not complete goldfishes and will remember when you stab them in the back. That's why this is a unforced error. The WH should not be leading this.

bruhaha

Jun 13, 2018
"Economic growth" is not all that's going to be hurting. If you phrased the question with "inflation" I'd bet you'd get much different results.

Status
Not open for further replies.