• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
DeSantis can still easily pull this off with the whole Fox News empire entirely behind him.

That said, he could easily install himself as permanent Florida governor at this point (and his legislature would change the law to do so). Not sure why he doesn't just stay.

I think having Fox News entirely behind you can be a double edged sword. It'll show obvious biased against Trump creating skeptism of DeStantis among many Republicans and Trump can weaponize it as an attack by the establishment.

Blergmeister

Oct 27, 2017
I think some people are missing the point of the conversion - it's not that Bush was a great guy and defending his brand of GOP, it's a discussion on why the GOP is seen as extremist now when they were not then. Maybe Bush visiting a mosque was enough a veneer of respectability such that the extremism didn't penetrate "normie" voters the way it seems to be now?

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Sorry but this is wrong. Republicans were always garbage. They were garbage then, and they're garbage now. Trump didn't change anything other than making it ok to bring Republican Talking Points out in the open - Mexicans are rapists, Muslims are terrorists, Black history is false, Black people are criminals, Trans/LGBT community is grooming children, etc. Once Trump opened the door, you had regular GOP fully backing up those points to a T.

You bring up W, the warcriminal that should be rotting in prison as 'good 'ole dubya'. This is the architect of one million dead Muslims - destabilization of an entire region and creator of Stasi Surveillance Regime of Muslims in America (which Obama and others subesquently renewed by the way so don't tell me Democrats are friends here). So, what, he pretended to care about Muslims by visiting a mosque in USA, while dropping White Phosphorous on our brothers and sisters in Fallujah? Don't tell me he did this for Muslims or cared about them - he did this shit for liberal politics in particular because he would rather do what FDR did with the Japanese Americans in US. And if FDR didn't get shit for what he did, I would have been in an internment camp as well during the mid '00s. The fact that Muslim Americans did get scooped up by the surveillance regime is another story but no, W did nothing he wasn't forced to do so out of liberal politics and optics.

The issue is that W's enemies were not Muslims, ostensibly. He didn't invade Iraq to kill Muslims so any further attack on Islamic nations was not needed. Even a dumbshit like W will realize that any sort of attack on Mecca will straight up lead to apocalypse. That was just the racist rabid dogs in the media barking. It was to change regime in Iraq based on lies and deceit, and grant billions of dollars in Oil contracts to his friends, grease the palms of defense contractors and give neocons in Washington their wish to see things go boom on evening news.

In my experience, we outright saw the deceit of Bush in our communities. We did not trust him at all. Him visiting mosque incensed the population further, and Sh Hamza Yusuf got lot of shit for standing with W - which he later regretted doing so. George Bush was enemy #1 of Muslims within America.

Of course you will find idiots that supported him, just like Blacks For Trump, etc. But it was no way a predominant view.
624acb3d9a55d31964d42e31b9af5f11e46bb73f.gif

This nonsense image rehab of Bush has been infuriating.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Sorry but this is wrong. Republicans were always garbage. They were garbage then, and they're garbage now. Trump didn't change anything other than making it ok to bring Republican Talking Points out in the open - Mexicans are rapists, Muslims are terrorists, Black history is false, Black people are criminals, Trans/LGBT community is grooming children, etc. Once Trump opened the door, you had regular GOP fully backing up those points to a T.

You bring up W, the warcriminal that should be rotting in prison as 'good 'ole dubya'. This is the architect of one million dead Muslims - destabilization of an entire region and creator of Stasi Surveillance Regime of Muslims in America (which Obama and others subesquently renewed by the way so don't tell me Democrats are friends here). So, what, he pretended to care about Muslims by visiting a mosque in USA, while dropping White Phosphorous on our brothers and sisters in Fallujah? Don't tell me he did this for Muslims or cared about them - he did this shit for liberal politics in particular because he would rather do what FDR did with the Japanese Americans in US. And if FDR didn't get shit for what he did, I would have been in an internment camp as well during the mid '00s. The fact that Muslim Americans did get scooped up by the surveillance regime is another story but no, W did nothing he wasn't forced to do so out of liberal politics and optics.

The issue is that W's enemies were not Muslims, ostensibly. He didn't invade Iraq to kill Muslims so any further attack on Islamic nations was not needed. Even a dumbshit like W will realize that any sort of attack on Mecca will straight up lead to apocalypse. That was just the racist rabid dogs in the media barking. It was to change regime in Iraq based on lies and deceit, and grant billions of dollars in Oil contracts to his friends, grease the palms of defense contractors and give neocons in Washington their wish to see things go boom on evening news.

In my experience, we outright saw the deceit of Bush in our communities. We did not trust him at all. Him visiting mosque incensed the population further, and Sh Hamza Yusuf got lot of shit for standing with W - which he later regretted doing so. George Bush was enemy #1 of Muslims within America.

Of course you will find idiots that supported him, just like Blacks For Trump, etc. But it was no way a predominant view.
Don't always agree with your takes in here, but this is 100% spot on.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I think some people are missing the point of the conversion - it's not that Bush was a great guy and defending his brand of GOP, it's a discussion on why the GOP is seen as extremist now when they were not then. Maybe Bush visiting a mosque was enough a veneer of respectability such that the extremism didn't penetrate "normie" voters the way it seems to be now?
To people hit with Federal Government's policies - mostly poor, communities of color, Muslims, LGBTQ, etc - Republicans were always extreme. The Federal Government was always extreme. That is my point. The veneer of respectability never existed for us, and we saw through the shit.

White America never had to grapple with the consequences of their government's actions. We have been brutalized, raped, tortured and executed over the past 400 years to no avail. No reparations or acknowledgement. Instead of White America realizing they fucked up and ignored our voices, they shift the topic to how "GOP became more extreme!" because the blowback is now impacting their nice suburban schools or because kids nowadays can organize on TikTok and Twitter.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

Agreed. Nobody's arguing GOP politicians then were any better morally compared to today. It's that they were better at hiding their lunacy and extreme positions and appealing to the average voter. Todays MAGA politicians are not palatable to the public and last year's election proved that.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
To people hit with Federal Government's policies - mostly poor, communities of color, Muslims, LGBTQ, etc - Republicans were always extreme. The Federal Government was always extreme. That is my point. The veneer of respectability never existed for us, and we saw through the shit.

White America never had to grapple with the consequences of their government's actions. We have been brutalized, raped, tortured and executed over the past 400 years to no avail. No reparations or acknowledgement. Instead of White America realizing they fucked up and ignored our voices, they shift the topic to how "GOP became more extreme!" because the blowback is now impacting their nice suburban schools or because kids nowadays can organize on TikTok and Twitter.
The GOP's "outreach" has always been about placating allies, friends and parents of the poor, communities of color, Muslims, LGBTQ etc. It was never about *us*, just performatively pretending not to hate us so that people outside of those groups could vote GOP without thinking they were betraying their friends and loved ones (even if their friends and loved ones were telling them who the GOP really were).

Trump for LGBTQ was about winning votes from suburban moms who have a gay kid, not about winning votes from the queer community.

DeSantis is mask off passing anti-queer, racist, anti-democratic shit that the GOP have always *wanted* but feared they'd lose too many votes if they did.

There's a clear line between the dog whistle and the open bigotry that prevents a lot of *straight white christian voters* from keeping their heads in the sand.

fancyarcher

Oct 29, 2017

Republicans have been garbage for a long, long time, it's just that back then they were less in the open about their terribleness.

Last edited:

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
GWB wasn't a great person at all, but I also think he surrounded himself with the absolute worst people he could and that made things exponentially worse. So many people in his cabinet were just awful.

Aug 12, 2019
Agreed. Nobody's arguing GOP politicians then were any better morally compared to today. It's that they were better at hiding their lunacy and extreme positions and appealing to the average voter. Todays MAGA politicians are not palatable to the public and last year's election proved that.

They were only "Better about hiding it" because they used Ivy League language to dress it up and White Suburban people generally chose to either not give a fuck or supported their racist/fascist policies because they only cared about their localized existence and what impacted that while having an overwhelming fear of the other that the Republicans and Neoliberals have repeatedly used to manufacture consent for a variety of right wing policies.

Like Reagan didn't hide how much he fucking hated gay people and wanted them to cease existing. He didn't hide his AIDS policies. He didn't hide being a racist piece of shit. He didn't hide dismantling every single union or labor law he got his hands on. It's just a massive subset of predominately White Americans didn't give a fuck about any of that and didn't see the objectively extreme right wing policy as such back then. It was more palatable because an extreme right wing position was the standard for many White Americans.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I like how I pretty much said in my post that they've always been garbage, knowing that people would respond with "you're wrong! They've always been garbage!" without actually reading what I said...

They've been a shitty party for decades, as early as the Nixon era, but they've never gotten punished at the ballot box because they actually knew how to keep a level-head...most of the time.

...and even then, some of you still respond with "You're wrong! they've always been garbage!" anyway. Because some of you engage in debates with such a large amount of tunnel vision, reading comprehension be damned, that you're complaining about a post that completely agrees with you!

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as passive-aggressive, but...

tenor.gif

Sigh.

Last edited:

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
I like how I pretty much said in my post that they've always been garbage, knowing that people would respond with "you're wrong! They've always been garbage!" without actually reading what I said...

...and even then, some of you still respond with "You're wrong! they've always been garbage!" anyway. Because some of you engage in debates with such a large amount of tunnel vision, reading comprehension be damned, that you're complaining about a post that completely agrees with you!

tenor.gif

Sigh.

Don't you dare try nuance here. We don't like it!

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't you dare try nuance here. We don't like it!

Yup, like it's not like we're in some debating society. We're all basically to the left of 90% of Americans - do I really need to add 1,000 words about how Bush II was terrible before pointing out that, the current GOP would be even worse in the aftermath of 9/11?

Let me say this now - anytime I mention the GOP, come back to this disclaimer - it's been a terrible, fallen, and evil party since at least 1964, if not before. There, now we can actually discuss the actual differences because there are, and those differences are why Joe Biden is POTUS right now, because enough McCain/Romney voters did actually vote for Biden. Now, I'm aware after the revolution, we won't need those votes anymore, but until it actually happens, the median voter is actually important to appeal to, no matter how yucky it may feel.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We're talking about the white folk switching from them now.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure Fox News ran as fast as they could to report that about Trump. I'm surprised they don't end each report with "Do you know isn't getting indicted? RON DESANTIS!"

*Shows video of him playing catch with Kilmeade*

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

Sigh.
I was not complaining about your post per se. That was the only one before the one from JesseEwiak which did not have a quote, that I wanted to respond. I do take issue with "since Nixon" - they have been trash since reconstruction. I know you are not arguing that "Republicans used to be semi-normal" point that keeps being brought up by Democratic party.
Yup, like it's not like we're in some debating society. We're all basically to the left of 90% of Americans - do I really need to add 1,000 words about how Bush II was terrible before pointing out that, the current GOP would be even worse in the aftermath of 9/11?
I find neocons repugnant. Current GOP is wary of international conflicts. Outside of Afghanistan, I don't see them launching any Oil Wars in Iraq. But it's a hypothetical, and I wouldn't be too sure either way.

At least Trump outright says he hates brown people and wants to ban them instead of hiding behind vague "wAr oN TeRroR" rhetoric. Torture Memos + Gitmo is some of the most extreme, right wing fash stuff that would make Trump/DeSantis very happy. Don't forget, DeSantis was a military intelligence officer who oversaw extreme torture of detainees at Gitmo. He was very much a Bush Administration alumni. There is no good 'ol republican.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I do take issue with "since Nixon" - they have been trash since reconstruction.

During the Civil War era, when the GOP was still relatively new to the scene, they were originally the liberal party, and the Democrats were the right-leaning, conservative party. It wasn't until the 1960s, with the rise of LBJ and the Civil Rights movement, that the garbage people became disillusioned with the Democrat Party and went to the GOP. So, in the 60s, the ideology of the 2 parties switched.

The GOP loves using that part of history to claim "Dems are the real racists! Not us!" but they conveniently leave out the part where the garbage simply changed sides and try to re-write history.

So, that's why I said "the GOP have been trash since Nixon". You're right in that the shitty racist trash politicians have been a thing since reconstruction. However, the trash wasn't always associated with the GOP specifically. Still, that's not to say that the GOP of the 1800s and first half of the 1900s was perfect. They were a moderate liberal party at the time, after all. So even in that era of the GOP, there were still...issues that lefties like us would not be thrilled to see. So, I guess, in that sense, you're right.

It's a technicality more than anything that I'm acknowledging, I suppose. *shrug*

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Sigh.

A lot of people don't really read posts, at least any more than they read tweets or headlines

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody think NY is bringing a little something more than what's already known about the Stormy Daniels hush money payments? It seems strange Bragg would just accelerate this case at warp speed if the facts are completely unchanged from over a year ago. Unless it was simply a matter of finding a more reliable witness beyond Michael Cohen.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody think NY is bringing a little something more than what's already known about the Stormy Daniels hush money payments? It seems strange Bragg would just accelerate this case at warp speed if the facts are completely unchanged from over a year ago. Unless it was simply a matter of finding a more reliable witness beyond Michael Cohen.

Probably some extra obstruction and/or bribery stuff that happened during the investigation.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
If he gets the MAGA Mob to riot again Jan 6th style that would probably be yet another big time positive for Dems next year. Even further turn away moderates and Independent's.

Hopefully nobody gets killed if it's happens, obviously.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sure as shit ain't going out in public on the day he gets arrested or whatever. I live in a red county.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
PIT
This essentially guarantees Trump the nomination if it happens

My hot take: if the only indictment happens is the Stormy one (I really doubt) then I agree with you. But if he gets indicted for J6, the docs, etc then that hurts his changes a ton.

Yeah how many more people are willing to fall on the sword and take a felony on their record for this man?

We are already seeing diminishing returns lmao

Jan 6 was horrible and we must be sober and stare the right wing violence down. But also, it was a bunch of bussed in people from around the country who are "rich" and then it took a sabotaged capital police and national guard to storm the capital. I would like to see the dozen asshole pieces of shit try and start something in downtown NYC - they'd probably complain about the bike riders being too mean to them.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Trump being the nom not only helps Biden tremendously but would it not also be a huge boon to our chances at maintaining the Senate with that brutal map?

Oct 25, 2017
Trump being the nom not only helps Biden tremendously but would it not also be a huge boon to our chances at maintaining the Senate with that brutal map?
Right, I know DeSantis is dipping but I still believe Biden would have a WAY tougher race against him (and there is a chance he may lose) than with Trump.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I already predicted that Biden would crush Trump again and by even more if he was the nominee in '24. But a Trump with multiple criminal indictments and in raging mad mode who is using fascist language like "take back our country" all the time will be even easier for Joe. He'll be more toxic than ever to the very same voters who he turned off in 2020.

Seeing the GOP machine forced to go to bat for a literal criminal after trying hard in some cases to pivot to DeSantis will be hilarious.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
My hot take: if the only indictment happens is the Stormy one (I really doubt) then I agree with you. But if he gets indicted for J6, the docs, etc then that hurts his changes a ton.

I'm of the same mindset. Multiple indictments over serious things are going to eventually push these people to DeSantis. The hush money thing or obstruction won't.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
I really do hope he gets charged with more than just the Stormy Daniels mess, assuming it happens, but I guess we'll see. Not going to lie though, seeing headlines that this may actually be happening this time is...very convincing. If this does happen...next week is going to be quite a sight to see.

View: https://twitter.com/SpeakerMcCarthy/status/1637108358208421888

Oh hey, more pointless investigations! That'll convince those voters who hate that you're doing pointless investigations to come back to the GOP, surely!

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Their hearings on the FBI and whatever else have been humiliatingly bad. So them wasting more time "investigating" this isn't really the threat McCarthy thinks it is.

Nobody watches them, bro.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their hearings on the FBI and whatever else have been humiliatingly bad. So them wasting more time "investigating" this isn't really the threat McCarthy thinks it is.

Nobody watches them, bro.
It would probably be better if people did watch them though. Direct exposure to what a farce these hearings are.

Status
Not open for further replies.