For US politics and election threads

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
I think they're mad because Trump is mostly doing normal conservative politics instead of focusing on important libertarian policy goals like legalizing child marriage, abolishing driver's licenses, and going back to the gold standard.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I don't make political bets, I would've definitely gambled that Trump would've come up with an excuse to avoid this

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Could very well be an act of desperation. It didn't make much sense for him to agree to debates either.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Wild. Apparently they routinely hand out invitations to both Democrat and Republican candidates to speak at their convention but this is the first time an invitation has ever been accepted.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Pissing off Libertarians when they're one of the few margin groups swayable is a brilliantly…. Bad idea

Are Libertarians swayble? Their entire platform and beliefs make it seem like they wouldn't be.

I mean they boo'd their own would be candidate who said driver's licenses should be a thing before.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
Are Libertarians swayble? Their entire platform and beliefs make it seem like they wouldn't be.

I mean they boo'd their own would be candidate who said driver's licenses should be a thing before.

libertarians going for the libertarian candidates instead of the republican candidates is partly how we have ossoff as a senator and why biden won georgia. they took the blame from maga for losing georgia at least.

edit: yep. jo jorgensen did better than the average and her home state (which was the average) in georgia. shane hazel took almost double jorgensen's national average and forced the race to a run-off because neither perdue or ossoff hit 50%. warnock probably would have gotten it on his own. the libertarian candidate in his race did slightly worse than hazel.

Last edited:

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
libertarians going for the libertarian candidates instead of the republican candidates is partly how we have ossoff as a senator and why biden won georgia. they took the blame from maga for losing georgia at least.

edit: yep. jo jorgensen did better than the average and her home state (which was the average) in georgia. shane hazel took almost double jorgensen's national average and forced the race to a run-off because neither perdue or ossoff hit 50%. warnock probably would have gotten it on his own. the libertarian candidate in his race did slightly worse than hazel.

That doesn't seem like they are really swayable then. That makes it seem like they will vote for the libertarian candidate instead of anyone else which is what I thought they would do.

GardenPepper

Oct 28, 2017
That speech was also a clear indication that they are worried about RFK being on the ballot. There is absolutely zero chance he takes that stage if he doesn't think RFK takes votes away from him and hurts his chances in November.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That doesn't seem like they are really swayable then. That makes it seem like they will vote for the libertarian candidate instead of anyone else which is what I thought they would do.
When swing states could be on the margin, losing 2-3% of your potential votes to libertarian joke candidates could be the difference between winning and losing the election. I can understand why Trump and his team are trying to claw back that group, especially if they think it cost them 2020 in GA.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
When swing states could be on the margin, losing 2-3% of your potential votes to libertarian joke candidates could be the difference between winning and losing the election. I can understand why Trump and his team are trying to claw back that group, especially if they think it cost them 2020 in GA.

I don't think they are potential votes for the GOP though. That's the thing. They don't seem like a historically swayable group. Libertarians, like those that go to these conventions, will always vote for the Libertarian candidate.

They are absolutely not swayable, they are completely insane.

Agreed.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Agreed, but it would be foolish to put them in the GOP column regardless.

They're going to vote for their batshit candidate or RFK.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder what their internals are saying to lead to anyone thinking this was a good idea.