Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Most americans by far do not want us abandoning the Kurds. This could be the thing that even Trump supporters will look twice at and be like "uhhh this isnt good."

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
You can waffle about us "blaming the system" but, since you are taking this to a personal level, I literally can't do anything. I can talk to my legislators. I have. I can vote. I did and will. I can attend protests. Done so. There's a limit to what I can do.

sorry, I didn't mean you personally, I'm specifically blaming America "as a nation" here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Why aren't millions of Americans on the streets every day to remove this insane man from office?
Why is public life continuing as if nothing is wrong?
Why did Americans just watch as their democracy and rule of law was taken away from them?
Why is there no visible resistance disrupting public order to remove this fascist from the most powerful office on the planet?
Because it doesn't impact their day to day.
It's not the answer you want to hear but it's the only explanation I can think of.

Like you said

Why did Americans just watch as their democracy and rule of law was taken away from them?

But you have to understand you're paying more attention than your average citizen here. The average American isn't watching shit. They are focused on their life and their problems and their friends and family problems.

The only time I see my fellow Americans care about people in other countries is after massacres, natural disasters and bombings. Some donate money, clothes and blood

But most just use the special FB frame for their profile picture to show support for said tragedy.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm Turkish and I really don't know what to say.

The whole situation is tied to the fact that Turkey repressed (some of, obviously) the Kurds in its own borders into becoming terrorists. The PKK has bombed children and kidnapped teachers, they're not just freedom fighters labeled as terrorists by the state (although that is of course part of it).

It's a dangerously convincing pretext for invading Syria and dismantling Kurdish presence there. I don't want the PKK to continue terrorizing southeastern Turkey but this will only enable more terrorist extremism and cause further Kurdish deaths. I don't know if resettlement will happen (I'm of the opinion that Erdoğan will try to adapt the Syrian refugees into Turkey to enhance his voter base), but I can see Turkey using this for ethnic cleansing.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
People are overworked and can't afford to not work and protest---and maybe risk being in jail and losing our jobs. Especially because health care is often tied to jobs.

Plus, we're incredibly spread out. There are very few places where effective protests could be held. And in terms of getting anything done, those places barely matter. The fact that sparsely populated states like Montana matter far more means that conservative, rural are always going to hold more sway over the political direction of the country. And most of them have been so brainwashed by Fox News that any effective protest is going to be covered in such a way that turns them off to the message of that protest.

So, yeah, sure, those of us who give a shit could mount small protests all over the country but it'll likely wind up with us in jail or fired. And it's not gonna fucking matter to a shitton of the people in this country because they believe Sean Hannity.

Excuses, excuses, excuses.
People in other countries work jobs, too.
The US has 325 million inhabitants and you think you can't even get enough together for proper protests?
Thats pathetic tbh.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly only Turkey and Qatar list the YPG as a terrorist organization, so things are a bit more complicated.

It's not that interesting. Everything about Erdogan's party AKP are funded by Qatar, KSA and Kuwait (mostly Qatar). Even the Special Forces that's readying to cross the Syrian border.

What they're planning is no secret. Arabize the Kurdish regions of Iraq and Syria, build shitloads of housing for Arab speaking people. It's a win win, Erdogan and his contractor friends get super rich by dumping concrete all over the place and Qatar & other gulf nations get rid of Kurdish "menace" and have a completely arabized crescent.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
People in other countries work jobs, too.
The US has 325 million inhabitants and you think you can't even get enough together for proper protests?
Thats pathetic tbh.

It's good we have an expert like you who appreciates and understands the issue intimately enough to not oversimplify and misrepresent it. Truly we are fortunate to be allowed to accept your wisdom.

Dec 31, 2017
I'm Turkish and I really don't know what to say.

The whole situation is tied to the fact that Turkey repressed (some of, obviously) the Kurds in its own borders into becoming terrorists. The PKK has bombed children and kidnapped teachers, they're not just freedom fighters labeled as terrorists by the state (although that is of course part of it).

It's a dangerously convincing pretext for invading Syria and dismantling Kurdish presence there. I don't want the PKK to continue terrorizing southeastern Turkey but this will only enable more terrorist extremism and cause further Kurdish deaths. I don't know if resettlement will happen (I'm of the opinion that Erdoğan will try to adapt the Syrian refugees into Turkey to enhance his voter base), but I can see Turkey using this for ethnic cleansing.
It's good that you are repeating your esteemed President's propaganda that these fighters are PKK.

Last month, your esteemed President was threatening to dump these refugees in the EU.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why aren't you doing anything to change it? Come to the US and start a protest. Unless you don't actually care...? I expected more.
lol You are joking right? Instead of doing it yourself someone needs to come to the US to fix your mess? Keep throwing your hands in the air and act like there is nothing you can do. That sure seems to be the typical "American" way to fix problems.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's good that you are repeating your esteemed President's propaganda that these fighters are PKK.

Last month, your esteemed President was threatening to dump these refugees in the EU.
You misunderstood me. I said it's a pretext for invasion into Syria. (I don't personally know if they are, but the consensus in Turkey is indeed that the YPG is associated with the PKK.)

What I wanted to explain in the above post is how Turkey itself sees what's happening here.

P. S. It's not the first time he's threatened to dump refugees. Last time, he tried to do so to get Schengen zone clearance for Turkish citizens lol

Edit: What 9-Volt said makes a lot of sense so it's entirely possible that the press being repressed is the reason it appears to be a consensus across the political spectrum.

Last edited:

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
It's good we have an expert like you who appreciates and understands the issue intimately enough to not oversimplify and misrepresent it. Truly we are fortunate to be allowed to accept your wisdom.

If a nation like the US is unable to stand up to fascism and watches idly as their democracy and rule of law is being dismantled before their very eyes this is a testament to civic lethargy and can't be excused by people subjective feeling of being corporate slaves who mustn't fall out of line.
This is a ridiculous capitulation and tbh, this sentiment is one major reason why something like Trump could even happen in the first place.

Btw: This is the very center of Berlin today.
Spontaneously blocked for all cars, only pedestrians and bicycles are free to pass.

This will continue to happen, and it will happen ever more often. It needs to disturb public order.
Until the government passes policy that will ensure that we don't go over our remaining emissions budget.

Deleted member 14312

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The situation where a genocide is a very real possibility is not a good time to be hostile or defensive in our inability to do much. Who wanted this to happen it's mostly irrelevant, since it's our collective failure that made this happen and this is our collective responsibility.

Oct 25, 2017
"As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits, I will totally destroy and obliterate the Economy of Turkey (I've done before!). They must, with Europe and others, watch over..."
guys, what the actual fuck

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm proud of you and I hope you can get it together and if you need help with something I'll try to do my best to help but please stop acting like nothing can be done and other people should fix your shit.
I'm not saying they have to fix it, I just think they should be ashamed for sitting there and doing nothing as the world slides into chaos. I guess some people just really don't care about anything but themselves, like 1.21Gigawatts , and would rather make excuses

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Congress will block this and it will be veto proof. And this could be ammunition to invoke 25th

Deleted member 14312

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying they have to fix it, I just think they should be ashamed for sitting there and doing nothing as the world slides into chaos. I guess some people just really don't care about anything but themselves, like 1.21Gigawatts , and would rather make excuses
The people of the world shouldn't be responsible for cleaning up the messes we made ourselves though.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Way ahead of you...
I live in a country where the far right polls below 15%.
I live in a country where 1.4 million people were on the streets just a few days ago to protest against capitalism and an economic system that ruins the planet for future generations.
And these protests will get bigger and bigger and ever more radical with every passing day in which our government doesn't take the necessary action to reform our economic system along the ecological necessities.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Why aren't millions of Americans on the streets every day to remove this insane man from office?
Why is there no visible resistance disrupting public order to remove this fascist from the most powerful office on the planet?

I think most people are still fairly comfortable enough (or struggling enough) to either not really care enough, or just struggling to make sure they have food on their table to rise up in protest.

Deleted member 14649

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a nation like the US is unable to stand up to fascism and watches idly as their democracy and rule of law is being dismantled before their very eyes this is a testament to civic lethargy and can't be excused by people subjective feeling of being corporate slaves who mustn't fall out of line.
This is a ridiculous capitulation and tbh, this sentiment is one major reason why something like Trump could even happen in the first place.

Btw: This is the very center of Berlin today.
Spontaneously blocked for all cars, only pedestrians and bicycles are free to pass.

This will continue to happen, and it will happen ever more often. It needs to disturb public order.
Until the government passes policy that will ensure that we don't go over our remaining emissions budget.

It is happening in London too right now. Trying the same tactic of closing off roads. Not enough being done, but fair play to those out there.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
This is getting out of hand, lives are at stake. Someone 25th amendment his ass.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Way ahead of you...
I live in a country where the far right polls below 15%.
I live in a country where 1.4 million people were on the streets just a few days ago to protest against capitalism and an economic system that ruins the planet for future generations.
And these protests will get bigger and bigger and ever more radical with every passing day in which our government doesn't take the necessary action to reform our economic system along the ecological necessities.
And you don't have the time to move to the US and do the same? Surely the US is more important than your country geopolitically. If you really cared you wouldn't be wasting your time at home when you could be making a bigger difference in the US.

just saying...

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France
He sounds like a cartoony evil character. Too bad there are no real superheroes since we learned in this very thread that the Americans are too busy to care about their own country, democracy or genocide and the world in general.
Coming from France, this apathy does feel unreal. I guess we must keep faith in the US way of dealing with it. I'm optimistic they will find a legal mean to make him fall.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Idly? I guess we can just makeup whatever we want on top of forming arguments out of ignorance.

Lol the fact you cite population size as a reason it should be easier to do what you ask is hilarious. You have no idea what's happening, why what you want isn't happening or how to make it happen. Before sharing your pronouncements to us all it would be appreciated very much if you could give a shit about understanding the factors at play here. In addition, lazy hyperbole about anyone being idle is probably something you should stop. And I mean in the case you're actually trying to say anything useful. If this is merely aimless, futile flailing about the world not being the way you wish it was and lazy assumptions that there must, must be a way to fix it easily and in the timeframe you desire then go ahead and continue doing what you're doing. It's all everyone else's fault and you're an expert who sees what we can't.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
So how is Fox and other Republicans reacting to this? Is it safe to assume they're now saying, "YEAH, SUCK IT KURDS! THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE BAD GUYS AND NOW WE'RE HELPING OUR ISIS FRIENDS!!" and insisting that real heroes that fight for justice promise to help allies, then betraying them and that only morally degenerate liberals make allies and then have their backs?

McConnell is probably already trying to figure out how he can block the Democrats in the Senate from fighting this.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
that makes no sense in general, in the US the president can send troops wherever he wants without Congress authorization but to get them out he needs Congress. thats a weird, broken system.
Its checks and balances. In this case Trump did something stupid. Congress is the balance to correct that mistake.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how the geniuses that live in countries where people can spontaneously and easily locate a single hub for their entire country to shut down in response to the politics of that country chime in every fucking time to tell Americans how pathetic they are. Each state can be the size of a country. What exactly do folks living in some blue state achieve by shutting down NYC? Probably a sensible chuckle from every Republican in bumbfuck nowhere that has the voting power of 1000 of those NYC citizens. The closest thing the states has to some type of location that would be swayed by body power is DC, which is also basically a fortress constantly under surveillance. Basically, that requires a whole lot of money for people to decide they want to fly from all parts of the country and stay their for days etc. Most couldnt afford it. Those that can, attend the organized marches and events that we also do here.

Deleted member 10747

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should probably stop thinking that the US is the center of the world. We all have our own Countries problems. Our Countries aren't perfect and need fixing too and we are actively trying to fix problems in our own Countries. So before you start thinking that we should care for your cause first perhaps care less how your country is perceived and just do something about it, instead of searching for excuses.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how is Fox and other Republicans reacting to this? Is it safe to assume they're now saying, "YEAH, SUCK IT KURDS! THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN THE BAD GUYS AND NOW WE'RE HELPING OUR ISIS FRIENDS!!" and insisting that real heroes that fight for justice promise to help allies, then betraying them and that only morally degenerate liberals make allies and then have their backs?

McConnell is probably already trying to figure out how he can block the Democrats in the Senate from fighting this.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should probably stop thinking that the US is the center of the world. We all have our own Countries problems. Our Countries aren't perfect and need fixing too and we are actively trying to fix problems in our own Countries. So before you start thinking that we should care for your cause first perhaps care less how your country is perceived and just do something about it, instead of searching for excuses.
Oh, I thought the cool thing to do was shame people for things you know nothing about

DonaldKimball

Oct 28, 2017

Pretty sure he is trolling. He has done it before in other threads if I remember correctly.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017

To me, it's one additional benefit for the GOP of having your voting base in 95% of the geographic United States where still millions upon millions of people live.

If there are riots in NYC, LA, Boston, etc., that's just blue cities preaching to the choir at that point. You aren't going to be able to disrupt the lives of the middle of nowhere, USA as much because those people simply don't see the issue and it's really damn hard for people in blue cities to get out to these remote areas to make red voter's lives miserable.

I love how the geniuses that live in countries where people can spontaneously and easily locate a single hub for their entire country to shut down in response to the politics of that country chime in every fucking time to tell Americans how pathetic they are. Each state can be the size of a country. What exactly do folks living in some blue state achieve by shutting down NYC? Probably a sensible chuckle from every Republican in bumbfuck nowhere that has the voting power of 1000 of those NYC citizens. The closest thing the states has to some type of location that would be swayed by body power is DC, which is also basically a fortress constantly under surveillance. Basically, that requires a whole lot of money for people to decide they want to fly from all parts of the country and stay their for days etc. Most couldnt afford it. Those that can, attend the organized marches and events that we also do here.

Or basically this.

We're not living in Europe or most other developed nations where most large population centers are located within a 30-45 minute train ride.

You could shut down the entire Eastern Seaboard and people in Bentonville, Arkansas are still showing up to work at Walmart HQ like nothing is happening probably shaking their heads in unison as they watch Fox News.