• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly, even the example in the op she won a competition and set a STATE record. Like what a fucking advantage is that which you can't even set a country or worldwide record?

I mean, if you've ever done competitive sports you realize that most people are using PEDs. Unlike the popular stereotype, steroids don't make you instantly amazing at sports and super huge. The people that are getting crushed in state level competitions are still full of gear, so basing the efficacy of a drug on the performance of a single subject is not a good metric. The correct argument against the transphobia seen in this thread is to use the IOC standards and the studies mentioned earlier, not rely on what trans athletes have done or not.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I'm fine with the IPF standards they always seemed fair to me. US just doing this because the one lady wants to compete and they had nothing stopping her so they knee jerked, prob whipped this out in 5 minutes.

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ban is not justified based on the data and I also don't think men should have any say regarding this issue, myself included.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I mean, if you've ever done competitive sports you realize that most people are using PEDs. Unlike the popular stereotype, steroids don't make you instantly amazing at sports and super huge. The people that are getting crushed in state level competitions are still full of gear, so basing the efficacy of a drug on the performance of a single subject is not a good metric. The correct argument against the transphobia seen in this thread is to use the IOC standards and the studies mentioned earlier, not rely on what trans athletes have done or not.

I agree, but exactly like that xkcd comic about how high quality cell phone cameras slowly proved that UFOs and bigfoots don't exist, the fact that trans people existed for a long time should prove that there isn't an advantage simply by having little trans people winning stuff

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After reading the mod post it seems like transgender women should be able to participate in women centred events so this ruling by USA Powerlifting is pretty wrong.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
The article goes in depth on maybe why the ban is being implemented.

"The "bone density" red herring has been thrown out there for years, at least since MMA fighter Fallon Fox appeared on the scene. The bone density of black women is, on average, significantly higher than that of white women. In fact, some studies have shown the bone strength of black women to be higher than that of white men."

"Yet we don't see any great rush to divide lifting categories by race, proving this bone-density argument to be nothing but a canard designed to specifically target trans athletes."

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
User banned (1 week): transphobia, ignoring the modpost
So what is the hard science? Does a trans-woman that went through male puberty have any notable advantages in the sport that other women do not?

I keep seeing opinions posted, what are the facts?

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Train with male testosterone levels for years then compete against woman.... It's not a level playing field so this is the correct call.
I am a trans woman. This is me one year after I started HRT at age 38. 5'7" 122 lbs.. Back when I was trying to live as the wrong gender--the gender they told me I was only because of my genitals-- the most I was ever able to bench was 80 lbs..

nBw7T27m.jpg

Where is my "natural advantage"? How do you justify banning someone like me from competing against others of my correct gender? (Lest you think me a mere "freak", I have many trans friends and acquaintances who are smaller just like me.)

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The article goes in depth on maybe why the ban is being implemented.

"The "bone density" red herring has been thrown out there for years, at least since MMA fighter Fallon Fox appeared on the scene. The bone density of black women is, on average, significantly higher than that of white women. In fact, some studies have shown the bone strength of black women to be higher than that of white men."

"Yet we don't see any great rush to divide lifting categories by race, proving this bone-density argument to be nothing but a canard designed to specifically target trans athletes."
Don't give them any ideas.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
you underestimate how much people hate trans people. You cant even argue that those people would be ashamed of their fragile masculinity if they dressed like women. I live in a country that murders trans people by the hundreds for no fucking reason at all. People go to great lenghts to make their lives hell here. Im not saying we shouldnt have trans friendly bathroom. I just think there should have some sort of rule to it. Like, having to change their gender in their I.D.
I don't know what country you're from so perhaps your post was made with good intentions, but in the US this would be a disaster policy. Not only are you punishing the victims, but you're giving extra ammo to those who have ill intentions against the trans community. If your goal is to stop harassment then you can't create a special law that only one group of people have to follow, and also allow anyone to report them to the police based on 'suspicion'.

Also, there isn't actually a trans bathroom crisis in the US like Republicans lead people to believe. There don't need to be any rules to trans people using the bathroom. It's never been an issue until Republicans realized they can fear monger their base to get votes over it. The only problems are the ones created by hateful people and the victims aren't the ones who should be punished.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you explain why you think this? Everything in me thinks that such a ban would in fact force the conversation even more. Look at this thread. If anything, forcing the separation should push the issue of getting the research that proves the ban is ridiculous to begin with. And once thats out we fix things. I can't really see how either way would slow down the likelihood that research on this topic would be pursued.

I think this is a bad idea. We should just do the research. Its hard to believe it hasnt already been done. But theres either an advantage or there isnt. We don't need more "categories" IMO.

We do create lots of different categories already without too much controversy* - or rather, there are more binary options - age categories for Tennis, for example, or various agreed upon categories in the Paralympics that rely on "like" physical differences. With gender and sex, there's only currently two binary categories in the Olympics (itself a competition with no shortage of drama)

* That's a word used from a position of ignorance - but speaking relative to the amount of media coverage - and for groups who are already better protected by law at least in the US - I'm of course sure there's disagreements happening in that sphere too and that internationally it'll be extremely complex.

As to research - of course! Like, it should be happening now. But there are athletes right now who want to compete today, and athletes who want straight answers in order to train and compete.
The agreed upon position from the trans community is that trans woman are woman and this is non negotiable.

I have no idea why do you think that the IOC guidelines does not solve "the problem at hand". Also being trans and fitting the IOC guidelines is already so hard and fuck your life that if any man wants to have gender dysphoria and become a 3rd rate citizen I think they deserve to fit the category. It is not the category is woman only anyway since lots of trans men played in woman divisions before transition =P

I think you've misunderstood my post and at least the intent my question. If anything, I intended the opposite of how you framed my question - and I accept that it's likely my fault and phrasing. If you can look past any erroneous semantic phrasing from me - my underlying question is about what's happening generally in the trans world as it relates to this discussion. It's obviously much easier to understand the historical situation because it already happened, but this is an ongoing situation and struggle with global implications as well as local ones. And I think I'm asking a pretty basic question I just want to be hyper clear that I'm not concern trolling or being disingenuous. I also don't expect you or any other poster to officially speak for a giant spectrum of people, but you (and loads of other people in the thread) are obviously more knowledgable than I am on this.

To put it super plainly: Is there a broad agreement in the Trans community generally, on the correct solution to the specific issue generally? Is that position that a person's identified sex or gender are sufficient and that (barring weight classes, age and other specific divisioning of a sport above and beyond gender) the solution is to let that be qualifier? I don't know the answer. I do (I think) know the answer as it relates to how people should be identified legally and properly, in employment, law, marriage, military service, bathrooms etc. There - at least in my corporate world, the employee tells us that fact and that's the end of that - we don't accomodate that, it's just .

This one seems more complex in part because sport already does micro categorization based solely on physical differences - weight age height etc. Even to the point of left-handedness, let alone something as fundamental and basic as their sex, gender and identity. There are multiple sports where those height, weight, reach distinctions are meaningful and some where they're absurd and an artifact of cultural norms or economics and demographics. I literally don't know what the broad trans community (including trans athletes) thinks the correct approach to either forcing or fighting for those changes is, or what the momentum is (lobbying, legislating, publicizing, arguing) driving any such movement. And I have no reason to believe there necessarily IS a "majority" opinion. Which is why I'm asking.

And maybe I'm not understanding the situation properly - from reading the IOC regulations (and maybe they've changed) it seems Trans men (a person born female who has physically transtioned to or established that they are male) are allowed to compete but that no solution or framework is currently regulated or permitted for Trans women (folks born as a woman who have transitoned to identifying as a man, regardless of the nature, timing or specific of that transition).

And I'm being careful and likely clumsy about the semantics here, because I don't want to offend or confuse anyone, or look like I'm being sneaky on purpose -- and it's a complex issue even in terms of pronouns, so apologies if my parentheses are wrong-headed, backwards or insulting - that's not my intention - which means there's a solution in the IOC's view or acceptance of one specific type or category of trans person, but no current solution for others or even future planning for such.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
So what is the hard science? Does a trans-woman that went through male puberty have any notable advantages in the sport that other women do not?

I keep seeing opinions posted, what are the facts?

The hard science is that any advantage goes away within 2 years max of testosterone and estrogen within normal levels for the desired gender.

The only thing that remains is bone size, which means at best a bigger bone with less density which makes easier to break. Like cis girls that had unbalanced growth hormone

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Is there/should there be a minimum amount of time, or some sort of threshold for being on hormone therapy before competing? A bone density or muscle mass level? It becomes difficult, because then you are creating a situation wherein cis women could easily not meet the standards either, and then what are we even doing? Could cross-gender height and weight categories be the future? I don't know.
I am a trans woman. This is me one year after I started HRT at age 38. 5'7" 122 lbs.. Back when I was trying to live as the wrong gender--the gender they told me I was only because of my genitals-- the most I was ever able to bench was 80 lbs..

nBw7T27m.jpg

Where is my "natural advantage"? How do you justify banning someone like me from competing against others of my correct gender? (Lest you think me a mere "freak", I have many trans friends and acquaintances who are smaller just like me.)
I think it may depend on the sport, and gender may not be the right criteria for every sport. The person you were replying to did say "train with male testosterone levels for years". If you were training as a powerlifter for years before your transition, it surely would have gone differently and been on a different timeframe.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Is there/should there be a minimum amount of time, or some sort of threshold for being on hormone therapy before competing? A bone density or muscle mass level? It becomes difficult, because then you are creating a situation wherein cis women could easily not meet the standards either, and then what are we even doing? Could cross-gender height and weight categories be the future? I don't know.

I think it may depend on the sport, and gender may not be the right criteria for every sport. The person you were replying to did say "train with male testosterone levels for years". If you were training as a powerlifter for years before your transition, it surely would have gone differently and been on a different timeframe.
Training as a powerlifter for years before transitioning has no effect on what hormones do. If you trained and got big-ass muscles before hormones, those muscles will be much smaller after 2 years because your body can't maintain the same muscle mass no matter how much you work out. If the same trans woman only started training as a powerlifter after hormones, her muscle mass ceiling would be the same as if she transitioned after powerlifting for years. Generally 2 years is the time frame I hear most.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We do create lots of different categories already without too much controversy* - or rather, there are more binary options - age categories for Tennis, for example, or various agreed upon categories in the Paralympics that rely on "like" physical differences. With gender and sex, there's only currently two binary categories in the Olympics (itself a competition with no shortage of drama)

* That's a word used from a position of ignorance - but speaking relative to the amount of media coverage - and for groups who are already better protected by law at least in the US - I'm of course sure there's disagreements happening in that sphere too and that internationally it'll be extremely complex.

As to research - of course! Like, it should be happening now. But there are athletes right now who want to compete today, and athletes who want straight answers in order to train and compete.

I think you've misunderstood my post and at least the intent my question. If anything, I intended the opposite of how you framed my question - and I accept that it's likely my fault and phrasing. If you can look past any erroneous semantic phrasing from me - my underlying question is about what's happening generally in the trans world as it relates to this discussion. It's obviously much easier to understand the historical situation because it already happened, but this is an ongoing situation and struggle with global implications as well as local ones. And I think I'm asking a pretty basic question I just want to be hyper clear that I'm not concern trolling or being disingenuous. I also don't expect you or any other poster to officially speak for a giant spectrum of people, but you (and loads of other people in the thread) are obviously more knowledgable than I am on this.

To put it super plainly: Is there a broad agreement in the Trans community generally, on the correct solution to the specific issue generally? Is that position that a person's identified sex or gender are sufficient and that (barring weight classes, age and other specific divisioning of a sport above and beyond gender) the solution is to let that be qualifier? I don't know the answer. I do (I think) know the answer as it relates to how people should be identified legally and properly, in employment, law, marriage, military service, bathrooms etc. There - at least in my corporate world, the employee tells us that fact and that's the end of that - we don't accomodate that, it's just .

This one seems more complex in part because sport already does micro categorization based solely on physical differences - weight age height etc. Even to the point of left-handedness, let alone something as fundamental and basic as their sex, gender and identity. There are multiple sports where those height, weight, reach distinctions are meaningful and some where they're absurd and an artifact of cultural norms or economics and demographics. I literally don't know what the broad trans community (including trans athletes) thinks the correct approach to either forcing or fighting for those changes is, or what the momentum is (lobbying, legislating, publicizing, arguing) driving any such movement. And I have no reason to believe there necessarily IS a "majority" opinion. Which is why I'm asking.

And maybe I'm not understanding the situation properly - from reading the IOC regulations (and maybe they've changed) it seems Trans men (a person born female who has physically transtioned to or established that they are male) are allowed to compete but that no solution or framework is currently regulated or permitted for Trans women (folks born as a woman who have transitoned to identifying as a man, regardless of the nature, timing or specific of that transition).

And I'm being careful and likely clumsy about the semantics here, because I don't want to offend or confuse anyone, or look like I'm being sneaky on purpose -- and it's a complex issue even in terms of pronouns, so apologies if my parentheses are wrong-headed, backwards or insulting - that's not my intention - which means there's a solution in the IOC's view or acceptance of one specific type or category of trans person, but no current solution for others or even future planning for such.

To start with, trans women are women. It would be pretty strange to go through all the effort to have our identities respected and still be called men.

The general sentiment among the trans community in my experience is that trans women should compete with ciswomen. The Olympic guidelines have been in place since 2004 and while those have been strict, there has been no crazy flood of transwomen taking over or countries cheating in that way.

Oct 27, 2017

After a year on HRT, all that goes out the window.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
That 80 lbs. bench personal best was after a year and a half of intense strength training. When I started, I could only bench 40 lbs.. (I was born with Androgen-Insensitivity Syndrome, as are a great many trans women*.)

* Not at all to say that the numerous trans women absent this condition are any less trans. My point is to put to the lie the common image of the trans athlete or potential competitor invariably as "large and muscular", as the 'phobes love to cite.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, people acting like there's going to be a sudden influx of trans-women who are going to dominate weightlifting? It's not how things work.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To start with, trans women are women. It would be pretty strange to go through all the effort to have our identities respected and still be called men.

The general sentiment among the trans community in my experience is that trans women should compete with ciswomen. The Olympic guidelines have been in place since 2004 and while those have been strict, there has been no crazy flood of transwomen taking over or countries cheating in that way.

Again, I never suggested otherwise. But the IOC regulations seem to be inconsistently, sometimes unfairly applied to otherwise qualified Trans athletes and only (as far as I can tell) deal with one set of circumstances. Anyway this is the second time I've inadvertently irritated someone or been unclear and that's not my intention so I will just shut up now.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I think the fairest way to go about solving this problem is to abolish gender-based divisions altogether and just have tiered divisions based on athleteles' actual performance... A Division, B Division, etc.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Training as a powerlifter for years before transitioning has no effect on what hormones do. If you trained and got big-ass muscles before hormones, those muscles will be much smaller after 2 years because your body can't maintain the same muscle mass no matter how much you work out. If the same trans woman only started training as a powerlifter after hormones, her muscle mass ceiling would be the same as if she transitioned after powerlifting for years. Generally 2 years is the time frame I hear most.
After a year on HRT, all that goes out the window.
I see. That makes sense that your body just couldn't maintain the muscle mass.
That 80 lbs. bench personal best was after a year and a half of intense strength training. When I started, I could only bench 40 lbs.. (I was born with Androgen-Insensitivity Syndrome, as are a great many trans women*.)

* Not at all to say that the numerous trans women absent this condition are any less trans. My point is to put to the lie the common image of the trans athlete or potential competitor invariably as "large and muscular", as the 'phobes love to cite.
I didn't mean to paint trans women as large and muscular in general. It's just that powerlifting is all about building muscle mass and strength, so I was curious about how that would translate over while transitioning, but as Driggonny and BuddyDharma said, it makes sense that your body would not be able to maintain the muscle mass without the same pre-transition hormones.

ConHaki66

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): transphobia, ignoring modpost
could just make a trans category for them to compete with each other

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
I think the fairest way to go about solving this problem is to abolish gender-based divisions altogether and just have tiered divisions based on athleteles' actual performance... A Division, B Division, etc.
This is the only solution I can see.

I remember years and years ago, the world #1 ladies tennis played something crazy like world #800 in the men's and could not beat him. Male builds have a complete advantage.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the only solution I can see.

I remember years and years ago, the world #1 ladies tennis played something crazy like world #800 in the men's and could not beat him. Male builds have a complete advantage.
^ it was one of the williams sisters. the man was some forgettable player, she still trash talked him after losing if i remember correctly.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
More concerned about limiting transgender rights than they are fixing doping/sexual assault/bribery.

Seems about on par for USA national.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed with the sentiment in this thread

If we are going to institute parameters for competitions let them be tied to genetics, weight, height whatever

Individually balanced physical factors only. No more of this gender sniping bullshit

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I didn't mean to paint trans women as large and muscular in general. It's just that powerlifting is all about building muscle mass and strength, so I was curious about how that would translate over while transitioning, but as Driggonny and BuddyDharma said, it makes sense that your body would not be able to maintain the muscle mass without the same pre-transition hormones.
Understood. But countless advocates of banning us from competing against cis women seem incapable of grasping that a great many of us don't come close to physically conforming to their go-to portrait of the "linebacker-like" trans woman athlete. As I mentioned, a not-insignificant number of us are also born with AIS, which means we're literally incapable of developing prodigious muscle mass even before starting HRT. (For instance, during my school years, I was out arm-wrestled by cis girls multiple times.) So for these cases, it's more than just being able to "maintain" gains following transition--we're even starting at a similar threshold as our cis counterparts. How then can bans like this possibly be justified??

Rostinet

Aug 20, 2018
The hard science is that any advantage goes away within 2 years max of testosterone and estrogen within normal levels for the desired gender.

The only thing that remains is bone size, which means at best a bigger bone with less density which makes easier to break. Like cis girls that had unbalanced growth hormone

This is a very interesting subject.
Just to bounce on the scientific basis elements.
The articles from the mod post a page ago state that differences remain regarding muscle mass.
The abstract of the EJE (from the mod post) article nicely elaborates on that reflexion:

The conclusion is that androgen deprivation in M–F increases the overlap in muscle mass with women but does not
reverse it, statistically. The question of whether reassigned M–F can fairly compete with women
depends on what degree of arbitrariness one wishes to accept, keeping in mind, for instance, that similar
blood testosterone levels in men have profoundly different biologic effects on muscle properties,
rendering competition in sports intrinsically a matter of how nature endows individuals for this
competition.

Have there been other piece of evidence regarding this matter?
I apologize if I it has been posted and if I have not seen it.
(I am just willing to know more about the subject, especially on the physiological side)

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So much hand-wringing over competitive advantages, trans rights are trans rights, period. Transwomen should compete with ciswomen. There are other ways of ensuring fair competition without discrimination, as others have suggested.

The fact that the first post of the thread "I'm very pro trans-rights, but-" shows we have a long way to go.

OP
OP

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Before it was the invading of bathrooms and now they're invading our true measure of masculinity! Aaaah!!!
The men's bathroom, the apparent social hub of masculinity for every man where no one talks and is just going about their business. Its not like the real reason they don't like trans people isn't obvious.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich

That would further knock down women's sports. The sex-based division makes sense because it emphasizes sports-achievements relative to at least this basic distinction.

Ban is not justified based on the data and I also don't think men should have any say regarding this issue, myself included.

This generally shouldn't be a question of opinion.
In professional sports it should be a question of scientific data and it currently looks like they have no ground to stand on for their ban.

But at the end of the day, professional sports are a way to determine who is "the best", not exclusively asking "who trained the most or who put in the most effort?", but asking who is best after a combination of genetics, effort, talent and luck.
Its a way of determining superiority that fundamentally rejects the concept of equality.
There never was an even playing field, but now that trans people try to get involved people are suddenly talking about a concept of fairness and equality in sports that never existed.

Its important to distinguish between general differences and competitive advantages directly related to GRS or hormone therapy, because if these exist they could be filed under doping, because these are genuinely external factors.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Well, this is was a very informative thread. Thanks for debunking harmful myths.

No offense to sports fanatics, but sports is not about winning gold medals, it's about overcoming your OWN limits. Do we really need reward cookies (gold medals) to push ourselves? I don't think so.

So maybe we should take a baseline performance for a person when they decide to start competing. And then we can measure how much stronger/faster/accurate-er the athlete get over the years. Gold medals can be given to those who improve the most, regardless of the actual performance numbers or something in that vein. Kinks will have to be worked out but you get the idea:

Yes, yes. I know what I'm saying is shocking, but seriously. No human can run faster than a cheetah, or lift more than a gorilla, or jump better than a cat, or whatevs. So who gives a flying fudge about absolute records? Humans are born losers when it comes to physical prowess (with maybe the exception of long distance running, but maybe camels beat us there too?)

I think that as time goes by and genetic modifications get way, way, WAY wilder, what I'm saying will sound less and less strange.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
The biggest deal here for me isn't the initial study, but how that very study has been corroborated by others. The more studies that corroborate the initial means the quicker that this debate can hopefully be put to bed.

I'm looking forward to reading them as well.

Bliman

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
I love him by the way. Such a strong women both in heart and strength.

Last edited:

Yayate

Banned
Feb 8, 2018
Lmao I can't even carry groceries anymore after getting on HRT.

HRT will destroy any 'physical advantage' a transwoman would have pretty fast. There's been enough studies done on this for this to be complete and utter nonsense :v

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
That would further knock down women's sports. The sex-based division makes sense because it emphasizes sports-achievements relative to at least this basic distinction.

It wouldn't knock down women's sports, it would eliminate it. It would also eliminate men's sports too. We'd just have sports, and the only emphasis would be on individual achievement. Which is really the fairest way to go about it... having separate divisions for men and women is tantamount to having separate divisions for black and white.

If sex is a factor for performance, then people will just naturally fall where they need to with performance-based divisions, without unnecessarily limiting anyone who is perhaps above average for their sex. And if sex isn't a performance factor, then there's no need to pretend like they can't compete with one another with different divisions for the sexes.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the studies in the OP. Easy to assume otherwise without looking into it or pausing for a second, and it seems like a good chunk of the banned did.

USA Powerlifting should fix their dumb ban.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
But at the end of the day, professional sports are a way to determine who is "the best", not exclusively asking "who trained the most or who put in the most effort?", but asking who is best after a combination of genetics, effort, talent and luck.
Its a way of determining superiority that fundamentally rejects the concept of equality.
There never was an even playing field, but now that trans people try to get involved people are suddenly talking about a concept of fairness and equality in sports that never existed.
There are some inherent problems in the conception of women's sports that we haven't sorted out yet. That is, the arbitrary lines we (rightly) drew in the interest of fairness are a lot fuzzier than we expected.

In men's sports someone with the relative ability of Caster Semenya would he hailed as some sort of heroic Adonis instead of being subjected to scrunity over whether his body is fair and being asked to limit himself. I expect the trans athlete discussion will go the same way in the short term. If they dont overlap with the cis bell curve 100% people will keep complaining and calling for the lines to be redrawn even though they're ultimately arbitrary.

If sex is a factor for performance, then people will just naturally fall where they need to with performance-based divisions, without unnecessarily limiting anyone who is perhaps above average for their sex. And if sex isn't a performance factor, then there's no need to pretend like they can't compete with one another with different divisions for the sexes.
I guess the main flaw of trying to divide people based on performance is that whoever is drawing the lines gets to decide who is at the top and bottom of every division.

DSN2K

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
User Banned (3 days) Modwhining
I'm bit troubled by ban given to opening post, genuinely don't think excluding them from thread/forum going to help educate them to know better, they gave their view, it's clearly uneducated view, really don't think it had any malice behind it, but banning them so they can't read the findings posted or be allowed to follow on with the discussion doesn't help

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I read all the linked research and PDFs, and it looks like they pretty ambivalent. Very little hard data, either to show that trans women have an advantage or to show that they don't.

It's hardly surprising how little data there are when it's so difficult for trans women to compete against other women, though. I think the best thing would be to allow trans women to compete against cis women with zero restrictions for, say, five years, and then see whether trans women do, in fact, end up being disproportionately successful.