Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
I've been rewatching Friends as background noise while I get other things done in the evenings, and my god the guys wear such terrible clothing.

a12bbb6d12570f07d706dad28767f9a3.jpg

Why were guys wearing things at least two sizes too big?? I don't get it.

Also, Ross is an asshole and Phoebe is the best thing about the show.

DoggosPuppersWoofers

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been rewatching Friends as background noise while I get other things done in the evenings, and my god the guys wear such terrible clothing.

Can't wait for the thread about skinny clothes in 20 years.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

what country you from where they werent wearing baggy in 90s?

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It was the natural succession of 80s clothing tastes innit.

Baggy clothes as a thing seemed to continue to the early to mid 2000s.

I think in future they'll wonder why the 201X period involved people wearing obscenely tight clothing.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was just rewatching some Friends a few days ago too.

For the most part, most of their wardrobe back then was fine, but hooo man, once they started wearing the suits...

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Donald Trump still wears baggy suits.

Seriously, it looks he buys his suits off the rack. Why does somebody that rich not get them tailored?

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
We all had big dreams back in the 90's.

Now we have very tiny dreams that fit in our very tiny pants.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I don't know, I hate it, lol. I hope it never comes back. I also don't approve of spray-painted clothes, just, how about something that is a good fit for your body? Seems obvious enough.

Oct 25, 2017
Compared to what I expected to see when I clicked this thread, those aren't really that bad. Joey's looks comfortable as fuck.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Imma be straight up. When I was in high school, seriously no person would be caught dead in skinny jeans(this was late 90s/early 2000s). You would have just been beat up or at a minimum harassed. I can't recall a single man ever attempting it. And in retrospect it was 100% a gender/sexuality thing, and it's really weird, it's this weird hang up where like the big jeans showed how comfortable your big swinging balls were. It was a dumb moment in dumb fashion.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990s_in_fashion

The anti--fashion movement in urban and black fashion and the grunge movement popularized by Seattle musicians.

It was a decade of shedding a lot of what made the 80s the 80s while simultaneously naturally carrying on some of the color and textural trends.

Current fashion is influenced by European designers that prefer tighter cuts and athletic wear brands made for men that workout. I believe the biggest already brand in the world is Nike. And H&M, a Euro brand, dominates the fast fashion market, a segment most Americans wear.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Imma be straight up. When I was in high school, seriously no person would be caught dead in skinny jeans(this was late 90s/early 2000s). You would have just been beat up or at a minimum harassed. I can't recall a single man ever attempting it. And in retrospect it was 100% a gender/sexuality thing, and it's really weird, it's this weird hang up where like the big jeans showed how comfortable your big swinging balls were. It was a dumb moment in dumb fashion.

We've redefined masculinity a bit as a culture. It happens all the time, of course, but visible muscles are what's in. Indivuality and body confindence is in. Comfort is out for men.

And thanks to advancements in textiles, particularly in synthetics, people can be comfortable in tight clothing.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
We've redefined masculinity a bit as a culture. It happens all the time, of course, but visible muscles are what's in. Indivuality and body confindence is in. Comfort is out for men.

And thanks to advancements in textiles, particularly in synthetics, people can be comfortable in tight clothing.

Yeah, that's all maybe valid, but it was 100% a cultural/masculinity thing when I was in high school at least.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I always assumed it came about because baggy clothes could be worn no matter how big or small your body type is or becomes, thus allowing for less spending on clothing over time compared to if you bought a lot of *snug* clothing that your gut outgrew in a year or two.

Something like how parents usually get bigger sizes for small children.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I just want 90s baggy sports jerseys back

W020130711346390681269.jpg

Vs

BsS_bzHCAAARv1I.png:large

Players went from looking like superheroes with their capes flapping in the wind to looking like teenagers in a mecha anime

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, it may surprise you to realize you ask this question now, but you will be asking the same question about fashion trends of today in a few years time as well

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I always assumed it came about because baggy clothes could be worn no matter how big or small your body type is or becomes, thus allowing for less spending on clothing over time compared to if you bought a lot of *snug* clothing that your gut outgrew in a year or two.

Something like how parents usually get bigger sizes for small children.

Honestly, that probably is truly where it emerged in black culture. But Aaliyah, Jodeci, every mainstream rapper, Boyz II Men, TLC, etc. started wearing black cuture as it started to signify masculinity in the 90s and there was no looking back. I still see black men dressing like that.

X1 Two

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's not like today's clothing is superior. Look, I can cut 2/3rds of my jeans and wear it.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I just want 90s baggy sports jerseys back

W020130711346390681269.jpg

Vs

BsS_bzHCAAARv1I.png:large

Players went from looking like superheroes with their capes flapping in the wind to looking like teenagers in a mecha anime

This is what I mean when I say the fabrics have improved enough for clothes to be tighter on men.

Modern synthetic fabrics actually perform better when they lay closer to the skin. Polyester and nylon suck up fluid like a straw to draw it away from the skin and can move it to a different layer of the fabric.

Cottons can't quite do that and remain light. So they had to be baggy.

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
Baggy, loose clothes are awesomely comfy and I'm sad the fashion police are out to murder anyone not wearing tight fitting clothes now :(

And people wearing way too big a shirt is oh so sexy to me

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I still like baggier shirts. I'm just more comfortable in them.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kids today think they are fucking geniuses because they can pull out theor phone and google what kind of ugly ass polo shirt Daniel Craig is wearing.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
At least from my recollection of middle and high school in the late 90s/early 00s, a lot of wanting baggy clothes was to avoid looking "gay". Fashion and personal hygiene were seen as the territory of gay dudes, which in the 90s hyper masculine period, was definitely not something you wanted to be compared with.

By the late 00s there was a sea change and fashion suddenly started seeping back into the main stream, which also coincided with a new wave of gay-friendliness.

As someone who avoided tighter clothes because of the uncomfortable feel, stretch fabrics are a godsend. Feel/look great in tight shirts and jeans now.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I don't like baggy clothes but man fuck this era of ultra-tight bodysuit clothing, especially when it comes to pants.

Relaxed fit for life.