NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Suits were pretty baggy in the 80s too. The mainstream acceptance of baggy casual clothing in the 90s seems like it came from hip hop and evolved from their as the decade went along.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Rather my clothes big two sizes bigger than two times smaller for my body. Don't know how you guys fit everything into new clothes.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I loved oversized stuff. Felt like it hid my body and I could go around in disguise. Like wearing robes outside. Put my oversized hoodie up and I was basically a melodramatic, emotional wizard.

Now I'm so fat I can't find huge clothes that are even my size so I miss that.

sam huge

Oct 27, 2017
Me (far right) in 8th grade at the end of the year dance. This would have been 1997. Those pants!

26536_1396300266723_6078891_n.jpg

Wow you absolutely destroyed the other three young men. If you wore that today on the street, it would still kill (but probably only if you looked as young)

Edit: to those lamenting the 'current skinny trend', you are revealing yourselves to be out of touch. Style-conscious people have moved past it a very long time ago. Anybody looking like they work at the Diesel store, 2008 or whatever, looks pretty silly.
6SrWFZJ.jpg

from the last page of a style forum, https://care-tags.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=7740

Last edited:

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
How else was I supposed to convey that I was a skater punk if not by wearing oversized jeans and birdhouse t shirts?

Deleted member 33597

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I've seen it evolve from skinny (late 70s /80s) to baggy (90s/00s) and now back to skinny. I'm pretty sure in a year or 10 we'll be back to baggy and you will look like a damn fool if you are still wearing skinny.
I kind of doubt this, to be honest. I can't see excess material and oversized clothing becoming nearly as much of a thing as it was in the 90s because if anything, we're moving towards it being hip to care about stuff like waste from using too much material in clothing. Fits may relax a bit as a sort of response to how everything turned slim fit in the 2010s, but a full-on return to baggy clothing isn't happening. I mean, everything from suits to sweatpants is slim fit nowadays. It was never like this before, suits were comparatively baggy in the 80s for example.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
There's looking sharp and well dressed, and then there's looking ridiculous. I just have a hard time suppressing laughter at ridiculous fashion.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely not a US thing.

Why does this shit cost $168 today?

FgNWt9a.jpg

I'd take laughably-large clothes over this shit any day of the week.

Likewise, why did this cost $18000 in 1996?

gTrnAjI.png

i'd rather take slim fit over this any day. People wearing this in my high school were so ridiculous.

In other words...

Eh....... this isn't really a comparison. Do you walk down the street and see people wearing these...? These items aren't really sold at department stores/storefronts, they're held at them because the storefront carries that designer.

Post modern fashion is an equivalent to post modern art, or music, or film, etc. It's just a different expression, and it's not for most situations.

Last edited:

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Wow you absolutely destroyed the other three young men. If you wore that today on the street, it would still kill (but probably only if you looked as young)

Edit: to those lamenting the 'current skinny trend', you are revealing yourselves to be out of touch. Style-conscious people have moved past it a very long time ago. Anybody looking like they work at the Diesel store, 2008 or whatever, looks pretty silly.

from the last page of a style forum, https://care-tags.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8&start=7740

i've noticed that look a lot too, but i ain't a fan

looks kinda slobby

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I despise figure hugging clothes. They're not made for 90% of people.

This is a common myth and it can feel that way if you're a bigger person, but it usually works the opposite. I'm a very average sized person, e.g., overweight by about 20lbs or so (6'3", ~225 these days, kind of athletic-ish but not fit at all, quintessential dad bod+).

I don't wear "skinny" clothes, but I wear fitted clothes usually, and it's a miracle how fitted clothes make you look much better than baggier, loose-fitting clothes, that make you look shorter and squatter. I dunno if you have Netflix but an episode from the latest season of Queer Eye (called "Unleash the Sexy Beast") has a protagonist who is an overweight guy (guy second to the left here), he's a chef at a bar/restaurant, and typically dresses in really baggy clothes because he thinks he has to hide his shape. When they put him in fitted clothes, with pants that weren't oversized at the hip or shins, and then put a sport jacket over him, he had the effect of slimming him out... Makes him look much more proportional.

I had never watched Queer Eye before until my wife binged these latest couple seasons and it's not doing anything radical, but what I like about the show -- fashion wise -- is that it sort of addresses this criticism of contemporary "smart" clothes... they're not for skinny people, they work for average and plus size people, and following simple guidelines can work for all body styles. When bigger guys wear long shorts (past the knee), long baggy shirts (down to their thighs), and wide or pleaded pants, these styles widen someone out, and they end up accentuating the parts of our bodies most of us kinda don't want to accentuate, while drawing your eye away from the parts that bigger guys might want to accentuate.

Last edited:

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
you shoulda seen the 80s

14399443.gif
Dang - beaten on one of the rare situations I thought of a gif to post.

Also fashion by definition always looks off after a period of time - then of course loops right back around again in no time.

We haven't changed shape much as a species in our fashion history but we've sure had fun using clothes to either change or shape (mainly the big or form changing trends) or accentuate it (mainly the slimmer fit and form hugging trends).

I've settled for shorts, no socks, comfortable loose fit deck shoes and nicely understated T-Shirts possibly matched to a nice open shirt with a pattern as the true peak of timeless fashion. I can't wait to stop working and kick around dresses as such until the day I die and never bother changing fashion style again.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
B.U.M. Equipment was my jam in the 90s.

It's really comfortable to wear baggy clothes. I'd wear robes everyday if it were socially acceptable.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad baggy clothing for men is over. It always looked like trash. It obviously had its origins in grunge and hip-hop (and from less-privileged communities that didn't have access to fitted clothing, I would guess), but I think part of the reason why it stuck around for about 20 years is because of the rise of the obesity epidemic (men's clothing tends to still be way less fitted in areas where the epidemic is still the worst) and because of hyper-gendered fashion trends that stemmed from toxic masculinity and gay bashing (women must wear clothes as tight and revealing as possible to appease men, while men must hide their form as much as possible to contrast from women and to avoid being thought of as "looking gay").

Men's fashion has come leaps and bounds since then, but there are still loads of dudes in the countryside and suburbs who still look like Sora from Kingdom Hearts.

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like pic in the op isn't a great example. Chandler's shirt gets any smaller it would basically be skin tight around his torso/stomach.

Joey is wearing a sweater. Sweaters tend not to be going for that slim fit look, or I'd rather they didn't. Sounds hot and uncomfortable especially if wool.

I actually think the 2010s have taken slim fit clothing way too far. Like do I maybe look better in slim jeans and a medium shirt? Maybe. I actually think it's debatable vs regular fit levis and large shirts, and it's 100x more comfortable.

AliceAmber

Don't dream it, be it
Administrator
May 2, 2018
This is a common myth and it can feel that way if you're a bigger person, but it usually works the opposite. I'm a very average sized person, e.g., overweight by about 20lbs or so (6'3", ~225 these days, kind of athletic-ish but not fit at all, quintessential dad bod+).

I don't wear "skinny" clothes, but I wear fitted clothes usually, and it's a miracle how fitted clothes make you look much better than baggier, loose-fitting clothes, that make you look shorter and squatter. I dunno if you have Netflix but an episode from the latest season of Queer Eye (called "Unleash the Sexy Beast") has a protagonist who is an overweight guy (guy second to the left here), he's a chef at a bar/restaurant, and typically dresses in really baggy clothes because he thinks he has to hide his shape. When they put him in fitted clothes, with pants that weren't oversized at the hip or shins, and then put a sport jacket over him, he had the effect of slimming him out... Makes him look much more proportional.

I had never watched Queer Eye before until my wife binged these latest couple seasons and it's not doing anything radical, but what I like about the show -- fashion wise -- is that it sort of addresses this criticism of contemporary "smart" clothes... they're not for skinny people, they work for average and plus size people, and following simple guidelines can work for all body styles. When bigger guys wear long shorts (past the knee), long baggy shirts (down to their thighs), and wide or pleaded pants, these styles widen someone out, and they end up accentuating the parts of our bodies most of us kinda don't want to accentuate, while drawing your eye away from the parts that bigger guys might want to accentuate.

THANK you. Great Queer Eye episode to bring up.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
The 90s was a REALLY bad decade for fashion. No one actually wore their size, and the color palette was a drab as it gets. Early 90s Hip-Hop style was a bright spot though.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
Watched FEAR this weekend and could not get over how baggy all the mens clothing was. You're for real playing racquetball in a shirt that is at LEAST 3 sizes too big? Why?

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My point is there's shit clothing styles in every single era of fashion. We're also going to get mocked by the youth of the 2030's.

I actually don't think so. '90s fashion aged super quickly. Friends moved away from that stupid fashion long before the end of its run. It only took them a few years to realize it was shit. This, however, was 14 years ago and it still looks great:

o-REASONS-WE-LOVE-THE-OC-facebook.jpg

This was 17 years ago and it doesn't look ridiculous:

857-web-cb6e61.T1164904255.jpg

So it's definitely not every era. '80s and '90s fashion is just terrible.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fashion designers put it on the runway. This is usually the answer to any question of 'why clothes trend'
1616_GQ_FERU06_04_The_Most_Influential_Runway_Shows_Of_All_Time_23.jpg

Armani 1990
This is nonsense. The baggy clothes trending in pop culture came from African Americans and Contemporary R&B/Hip Hop culture. It's why the NBA and College Basketball went from tight short shorts to longer baggier shorts.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
This is nonsense. The baggy clothes trending in pop culture came from African Americans and Contemporary R&B/Hip Hop culture. It's why the NBA and College Basketball went from tight short shorts to longer baggier shorts.
No, those shorts got longer cause more black people were playing....

;p joking of course

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No we're the first ones to get it right. Trust me.
LOL.

Yeah the whole skinny jeans thing (especially on dudes) is absolutely horrid. It was horrid then, now, and will be in the future.

For dudes, fashion is pretty easy. Stay classic, and you will never have to worry too much about fashion. So long as it fits. Its not too tight, its not too baggy...you are golden.

Deleted member 907

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Everyone wants to be black, but nobody wants to be black. Lots of whitewashing when it comes to fashion.

I don't understand why anything resembling a Capri even exists.
Because most of the world doesn't have an issue with it. Only the US.

Deleted member 29676

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Baggy clothes are on their way back in. Might not reach 90s levels but you see the trend in this year's fall fashions already.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
LOL.

Yeah the whole skinny jeans thing (especially on dudes) is absolutely horrid. It was horrid then, now, and will be in the future.

For dudes, fashion is pretty easy. Stay classic, and you will never have to worry too much about fashion. So long as it fits. Its not too tight, its not too baggy...you are golden.
This doesn't mean anything.