Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
As mentioned in the past, Game Freak & TPC usually wait at least a year before they dedicate resources to a new system for Pokémon so said system has time to build up an install base. If you mean Legends Z-A passively piggy-backing off the Switch 2 thanks to it having backwards compatibility, then that makes more sense. But that only really applies to Ehoavash, I remember Atheerios expecting the game to be primarily marketed as a native Switch 2 game.
Yes I'm still expecting that. There's no point in using the past as too many things are different this time.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Mario Kart 9/10
3D Mario
Metroid Prime 4
A new top-down Zelda in the style of the LA remake
Visions of Mana
Street Fighter 6
One of the EA Sports games
I could also see a 3rd Party timed exclusive, like another game in the 2DHD style from SE.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Literally nothing is different and they've already done the legwork of confirming that by announcing the next game coming next year is for the switch
We will see :)

And yes, they announced the Switch 1 version before so that there's not an Ounce of doubt on people's minds this is also coming to SW1 and not an exclusive to SW2. That's what I think.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I think the first-party ones will be:
  • New 3D Mario announced for a launch
  • Mario Kart X releasing within a few months of launch
  • Luigi's Mansion 4 to release October 2025.
  • BOTW and TOTK will get next-gen patches, available at launch for free for those with NSO, $10 for those who don't.
  • New Fire Emblem to come in 2025 (not a remake of 4)
  • Animal Crossing noted to be in development
  • Pikmin 5 also noted to be in development (I think (more hope I guess.) they'll see the breakout of this one on Switch as a chance to make it much bigger, it's so merchandisable that it's be silly if they didn't).
For third parties:
  • Dragon Quest XII gets its first proper trailer, III remake gets one too. DQXII will be given an early 2026 date for Switch 2.
  • Yakuza (yes all of the modern ones) is getting ported to Switch 2. Surely SEGA won't miss the gravy train this time.
  • Persona 3 Reload will release at launch with Switch 2.
  • SEGA announces all of their Super Games are coming to Switch 2.
  • Street Fighter VI will be a launch title, there'll be some special costumes or character for Switch 2 users.
  • Resident Evil Village and 4 Remake are coming over to Switch 2.
  • Microsoft will pop up, announcing that Fallout 4 and Fallout 76, as well as Sea of Thieves will come to Switch 2.

NinjaLooter

Oct 1, 2023
Metroid Prime 4
Cyberpunk 2077
Alan Wake 2
new Smash game
new Kart game
RE2 and RE3 remakes + 7, Village, and 4
fighting games like SF6 and Tekken 8

VR mode

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Nintendo rarely ever goes back on their word when it comes to systems games are announced for.
I've seen these words verbatim so many times that it's getting silly. At this point it sounds like one of the dozens of "rules" Pokémon fans cook up that are true until they're not, every generation.

This seems almost entirely based around TP and BotW getting last-gen versions and is now Internet law because someone observed that once.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
I think they'll have:

The "big" game: A Mario game
The party multiplayer game: Mario Kart
The casual crowd pleaser: IDK they can come up with pretty much anything for this lol
The remaster/crossgen: Metroid Prime 4
The third party reassurance: something Assassin's Creed

Just for the reveal trailer.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I've seen these words verbatim so many times that it's getting silly. At this point it sounds like one of the dozens of "rules" Pokémon fans cook up that are true until they're not, every generation.

This seems almost entirely based around TP and BotW getting last-gen versions and is now Internet law because someone observed that once.
Even if we put aside history, Metroid NEEDS that 141+ million install base. We're talking about a series whose current peak is just over 3 million. Granted, that's not terrible & Nintendo usually has reasonable sales expectations. But if they want the best chance of success for MP4, they're gonna need that Switch 1 audience. And even then, Nintendo still lists MP4 as being for Switch 1 in their investors briefings.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
OP covered pretty much everything I could imagine actually happening.

Random other stuff I'd love:
  • F-Zero GX Remake: I know a remaster keeps being rumored, but what if they went all out with a full remake?!
  • Yooka Laylee 2: A new Banjo Kazooie-like for the launch would be great to see.
  • Automatic improvements with certain Switch 1 games: Some Switch 1 games seem like they have uncapped framerates or variable resolutions that with some extra power could probably have a lot more consistent performance. Or maybe if the Switch 2 auto upscaled games that could be cool.

Re-Tails

Aug 16, 2020
I don't think we're seeing Splatoon 4 until at least 2027. After the massive success of New Horizons, EPD 5 has no reason to double dip in ink again (not necessarily the same team, but definitely the same division with some shared staff). Plus updates for Splatoon 3 would've ended too recently, & it's not like we're in another Wii U situation.
Splatoon 3 only has content updates for 2 years, same as Splatoon 2. They said that already, I would be very surprised if Splat4 isn't out by mid-2025.

That said, what do you expect to launch with the system if it's not 3D Mario? Metroid isn't exactly a big enough seller to be the marquee launch title.
That's the thing, I'm not expecting many major titles to launch with the system, at least not Mario/Zelda. It's practically confirmed Switch purchases are carried over, I expect them to emphasize hard on existing titles (Nintendo and third-party) at higher resolutions/framerates for the first year.

Actually, Mario Kart 9 is a pretty safe guess. MK8D was the best-selling game for a long time, easy money.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Even if we put aside history, Metroid NEEDS that 141+ million install base. We're talking about a series whose current peak is just over 3 million. Granted, that's not terrible & Nintendo usually has reasonable sales expectations. But if they want the best chance of success for MP4, they're gonna need that Switch 1 audience. And even then, Nintendo still lists MP4 as being for Switch 1 in their investors briefings.
Prime fans are the kind of hardcore players who either 1) will pick up a new console day 1 or 2) will pick up said console if it means playing Prime.

Install base isn't the end-all-be-all regardless. The Switch bump kicked in LONG before the Switch was at 9-digits, while Prime was doing the same numbers on the Wii's 100 million as it was on the GCN's 25.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I expect them to show something BOTW or TOTK related, be it a patch or demo of enhanced performance. MP4 and likely something Mario related will also be present.

Dec 5, 2017

Super paper Mario and donkey Kong barrel blast were both announced for GCN before moving to Wii.

This is also likely true of Kirby GCN.

Truth is there haven't really been enough cases to demonstrate this.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Super paper Mario and donkey Kong barrel blast were both announced for GCN before moving to Wii.

This is also likely true of Kirby GCN.

Truth is there haven't really been enough cases to demonstrate this.
Right, exactly. Kirby Air Ride also started out on N64 before moving to GCN. The Zelda games were unique because Nintendo knows people bought GCNs and Wii Us specifically based on the TP and BotW trailers, and they'd piss off the fans that got them through the GCN and Wii U eras if they abandoned them. Prime 4 had a title screen drop over a half-decade ago and not nearly so fervent of a reaction, Nintendo's not going to be as compelled to appease.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The most I'll guess about the gimmick is that the magnetic joycon allow for different orientations of the switch. So you can place it vertically with the joycon on the sides to emulate DS games. The date is revealed to be February 14th, 2025.

Beyond that, I think the reveal goes like:
(December 2024 Nintendo Switch 2 Showcase): Starts with the unveiling of the hardware itself, followed by brief sections to detail the following. All of which are Launch day games.
  • Super Mario Universe
    • Combining the ideas introduced in Super Mario Wonder with the world design of Bowser's Fury. The game takes place in multiple large open areas that grow and change as you progress. The "Wonder" idea is that there are special "World Stars" that can trigger a "Universe Shift" in which you are moved to an alternate universe where things are a bit different. Say, there is a world where everyone and everything is made of shadows, so you can move around a wall previously blocking your path. Or you face an impossible enemy, but find a "World Star" in which everyone is a goomba.
    • My other idea for a 3D Mario would be "Super Mario Timesplitters" in which Mario travels through different eras to fix the timeline. He could go back to the classic DK era and team up with himself to catch Donkey Kong. Or go into the future and defeat a Robot Bowser's army of mecha Koopas.
  • Untitled Casual Game
    • As with most Nintendo hardware, this will be a casual game based on the new gimmick of the console. Follows the precedent of games like Wii Sports, Nintendo Land, and 1-2 Switch.
  • F-Zero Rampage
    • A new F-Zero game that follows a similar concept to F-Zero 99. The main gimmick is a mode in which 100 players race simultaneously until 1 is left. But this takes place in modern 3D graphics with more in depth vehicle customization, items, and destructable environments to contend with. A limited version of the 100 Racer mode is free to play for NSO subscribers (fewer vehicles and customization but it places every player in the same pool to boost the potential player count). There is also a story mode with action beat-em up combat in the vein of classic Yakuza development in collaboration with RGG Studios. It's a fairly short 8-10 hour campaign with some races in between the action combat. We get more backstory on Captain Falcon as a character, and beating it once unlocks a mode where you can play through the same levels as Jody Summers but without the story/cutscenes.
  • The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition II
    • A sequel to the popular GameCube release but with more recent games. This collection of games comes with A Link Between Worlds, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess.
  • DS on NSO
    • One of the gimmicks of the Switch 2 is that in handheld mode it can be oriented vertically for DS emulation. TV mode is like on Wii U where multiple screens are on the TV simultaneously.
    • Has teases for New Super Mario Bros, Nintendogs, Animal Crossing Wild World, The World Ends With You, Professor Layton, and Rhythm Heaven.
Then we get a Third Party sizzle reel with:
  • Elden Ring
  • Persona 3 Reload
  • Yakuza 0 and 1-8
  • Hi-Fi Rush
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Tekken 8
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • Overwatch 2
  • Genshin Impact
  • Guilty Gear Strive
Not all of the third parties make day one, but they all release before July. So we have a big Mario Platformer, a combination of action and racing while also reviving a cult classic with F-Zero, our casual party game, and Zelda in the form of a few remasters. Not too pie in the sky, but still very respectable, especially when you include the third party games. We are told that the next mainline Kirby and Smash Bros will release shortly after launch.

In early March we get another Direct. This time detailing the Spring line-up. That being:
  • April's release is a new 3D Kirby game. Like most Kirby games, this game has a substantial minigame side mode. This time it's a new version of City Trial that comes with a free to play version for NSO subscribers.
  • Late May is the launch of Super Smash Alpha. The removal of the "Bros." Tag and using of the Greek alphabet is to reflect the differences with this installment. This version is a 3D third person arena fighter. But instead of something like Overwatch, it's still a 1v1 fighting game, but arenas are larger, characters have health instead of percentages, and movement is similar to an Overwatch genre of game. Characters have lots of elaborate skins, and Nintendo plans to release multiple seasons and battle passes of content. Nintendo unveils their own competitive tournament circuit with this game as the front runner. It will also contain Splatoon and Pokemon as the big three events.
  • July sees the release of Mario Hoops Dunked development in partnership with Square Enix.
  • The Direct ends with a reveal of Mario Kart X coming Holiday 2025.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Splatoon 3 only has content updates for 2 years, same as Splatoon 2. They said that already, I would be very surprised if Splat4 isn't out by mid-2025.

That's the thing, I'm not expecting many major titles to launch with the system, at least not Mario/Zelda. It's practically confirmed Switch purchases are carried over, I expect them to emphasize hard on existing titles (Nintendo and third-party) at higher resolutions/framerates for the first year.

Actually, Mario Kart 9 is a pretty safe guess. MK8D was the best-selling game for a long time, easy money.
But again, why would they double-dip in Splatoon after how massive New Horizons was? 32.5% of ACNH's staff worked on Splatoon 3. It's not the majority, but it's also not insignificant (especially compared to EPD games from different divisions). If anything, Splatoon could use a little bit of a break.

As for your other point, Furukawa usually plays things safe. And given one of the sided reasons for the internal delay was to buy more time for first party games to be made, he likely trying to replicate the Switch 1's first year in terms of a steady stream of software. One of the big things that helped was a major release on Day 1, & 3D Mario would fit the bill.

Prime fans are the kind of hardcore players who either 1) will pick up a new console day 1 or 2) will pick up said console if it means playing Prime.

Install base isn't the end-all-be-all regardless. The Switch bump kicked in LONG before the Switch was at 9-digits, while Prime was doing the same numbers on the Wii's 100 million as it was on the GCN's 25.
Not really? Metroid is the kind of game you'd buy because you already have a system, not the other way around. As I mentioned earlier, it's becoming apparent that the goal is to replicate the Switch 1's success as much as possible. They need a heavy hitter on Day 1 for that to happen, something that appeals to all audiences (mainstream & hardcore). Not only does Metroid only really cater to the hardcore, it specifically caters to the Western hardcore fans.

While I don't deny the possibility of a Switch 2 port, I'd put money on the Switch 1 version coming out. The last time Nintendo went back on the word regarding platforms was Super Paper Mario (GCN -> Wii), which was a long time ago.

It it doesn't launch with ARMS 2 I'm going to riot.
Gotta wait for the bigger EPD 9 seller (Mario Kart 10) to drop first. But given Studio 2's history of assisting with EPD 9 projects, their "3D action game" could very well be ARMS 2 (seeing as Studio S's "side-view action game" is likely Smash 6 considering their track record).