Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
1st choice: Utah Freeze.
The sport is hockey and Utah is a great winter state.

2nd choice: Utah Yeti
Its fun to say, its also winter-based, and the yeti mascot could be as cute or as terrifying as they want to make it & still work.
images

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been saying this for awhile: it should be the Utah Grunge. It makes as much sense as a team here being the Utah Jazz. They can have a whole music genre theme going.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
Should really be Utah Raptors like MoonsaultSlayer said earlier.

Utah Pioneers too hokey? I figure that would be big with the LDS or is that too much a rival name with Denver U?

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
If they become the Yeti, will the Kraken change their mascot to an actual tentacle monster? I know Buoy is a sea troll, but they are just gonna look the same. If so, that gets my vote. I want my squid boy mascot.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Utah Yetis is the only good option. I imagine their mascot just being Gritty but blue.

Swig

Oct 28, 2017
I live in Utah.. voted for Yeti and Outlaws.. I hope it's Yeti. I could mostly care less about professional sports, though.

Oct 26, 2017
Utah Yeti, Utah Hive and Utah Swarm are the best names. Utah Yeti rolls off the tongue the best, but Utah is also the beehive state, so Hive and Swarm are fitting names.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Utah Powder sounds like a fake street name for a made up drug your local news would do a scare story about. Voted for that one.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Yeti mainly for the mascot possibilities. The names are pretty lame overall, though.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Swarm makes me think of the Georgia Swarm lacrosse team

jd13158*900xx5184-2922-0-533.jpg

hq720.jpg

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
My personal analysis that's ultimately worth absolutely nothing

NLL Teams that currently exist:

• Colorado Mammoth
  • Georgia Swarm
Sounds like rejected 90s expansion names:
  • Squall
  • Fury
  • Freeze
  • Venom
  • Blizzard
Just corny really:
  • Caribou
  • Ice
  • Glaciers
  • Frost
  • Blast
  • Powder
  • Canyons
  • Mountaineers
Unique but not great:
  • Black Diamonds
The "Washington Football Team" or we want to be football attempt:
  • Utah HC
The best of the batch:
  • Hive
  • Outlaws (was an XFL team but whatever)
  • Yeti
My top three from these options:
  1. Yeti
  2. Swarm
  3. Outlaws
I'd pick Swarm first if they didn't already currently exist in another sport, and it might still be the best option honestly. The bee theme is right for being regionally thematic and the Blue Jackets have largely moved away from it as a theme. I think they can make the colors work despite concerns of black/yellow already being used a bunch in the league. Sort of surprised "Stingers" isn't an option, but it is admittedly sort of corny. Yeti is great for a million reasons, though, from logo/mascot potential to just sounding succinct and unique. Outlaws is sort of generic but has a good feel despite this.

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
Presumably keeping "Coyotes" would be considered cursed? 🙂 It's not like they don't have coyotes in Utah.

I guess Yeti is the best of the options. I generally prefer more personified, plural names to singular, "conceptual" names like "Squall" or "Wild" or whatever. It's also alliterative with "Utah", which sounds nice.

("Utah HC"—no. That's not the convention in the NHL.)

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Next season starts in <5 months. They are going to need to have a super fast turn around time to have all of the team jerseys, marketing, and some fan apparel in place by October.