rac

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't even call this a survival game, it kinda gives off the wrong impression of what it is.

good point

kinda like an open world metroidvania, where the metroid parts are just crafting
if that makes any sense

edit: i was thinking about buying/playing breath of the wild and i think this game is scratching that itch in a better way

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like Terraria. It's a crafting game that's about progression moreso than survival.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Also the graphics are really something else. I thought it looked really bad from the trailers and screenshots, but once you see it in action it has this painterly effect that is really quite stunning and unique. The graphics are a choice, not a limitation. It also runs well, is bug free, and will be easy to add new assets too.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
My group is very into checking this out once it leaves early access or matures more, looks very cool.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I thought an open world game that is this pretty would be a lot bigger than 1 gig. That really surprised me. I guess it's the graphic style that takes little memory.

Jun 13, 2018
yeah, I think the graphics work incredibly well. helped by the pulled out camera and the focus filtering for the further away distance. love those crisp unfiltered textures up close. hopefully the animations will get a lot better, not a huge fan of those. hehe.

Anton Sugar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought an open world game that is this pretty would be a lot bigger than 1 gig. That really surprised me. I guess it's the graphic style that takes little memory.
Is this also because it's procedural? Deep Rock Galactic is 100% procedural (outside of a few late-game activities) and is pretty small, too.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Honestly I wouldn't even call this a survival game, it kinda gives off the wrong impression of what it is.
good point

kinda like an open world metroidvania, where the metroid parts are just crafting
if that makes any sense

edit: i was thinking about buying/playing breath of the wild and i think this game is scratching that itch in a better way

So is building a house even necessary? If not to protect from cold and stuff?

Or is it still needed to protect from mobs?

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone playing this on a lower spec machine? I have a 650ti boost (which is covered in minimum requirements), but with people complaining about top of the line GPUs struggling, I'm a little worried.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
200.gif

Reading more and looking more into it now turned me over from "Nah, don't care, look how it looks" to "Ah god dammit, the graphic is a choice and not a flaw and the procedural world is interesting and the price is perfect for a hurtless blind buy....."

And since it's Steam, if it doesn't run that good for me I can still give it back.....

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
Is any of the crafting permanent? Or do your weapons and tools break after a while?

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
So is building a house even necessary? If not to protect from cold and stuff?

Or is it still needed to protect from mobs?

If you want to build a bed, (save point basically) and a crafting workbench, it needs to be inside a shelter. So you have to build a house.
Besides, what heathen plays a game like this and doesn't make a dope house?

Is any of the crafting permanent? Or do your weapons and tools break after a while?

yes they can break but it is one click, no material repair at a workbench

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
If you want to build a bed, (save point basically) and a crafting workbench, it needs to be inside a shelter. So you have to build a house.
Besides, what heathen plays a game like this and doesn't make a dope house?

Lolol ok, so it does have a practical function and the pleasure of building a virtual house!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Mhhhhh, it runs pretty crappy for me unfortunately.

I have a Laptop with an i5-8300H (8CPUs), 16GB Ram 2.30GHz and a GTX 1050 and everything on max in 1080p runs with 15fps. Everything on low barely hovers between 25 and 30.
But I read from people with basically the same specs on their laptop, even slightly worse CPU and they're having the game run in 60fps with 1080p max settings.

What is the secret here?

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Mhhhhh, it runs pretty crappy for me unfortunately.

I have a Laptop with an i5-8300H (8CPUs), 16GB Ram 2.30GHz and a GTX 1050 and everything on max in 1080p runs with 15fps. Everything on low barely hovers between 25 and 30.
But I read from people with basically the same specs on their laptop, even slightly worse CPU and they're having the game run in 60fps with 1080p max settings.

What is the secret here?

Unity engine is such a fickle bitch. Maybe check graphics drivers?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is this as a single-player game?

I bounce off most survival games but I sure love Subnautica.

rac

Oct 25, 2017
also the combat kind of feels clunky to me but in a arcadey way that is charming

edit: guess what im saying is they could've just copy pasted dark soul's mechanics but i would've liked it a lot less

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Unity engine is such a fickle bitch. Maybe check graphics drivers?

The newest driver is installed.

I read about a great tip that says:

For those who want to run the game with more fps and don't mind not being able to use alt + tab all the time use "-window-mode exclusive" for native full-screen resolution mode in the game's launch parameters. It will run much smoother than in borderless window mode which is the game's default setting.

And it indeed improves the FPS a lot. But I have the problem now that the screen or FPS skip every few seconds so heavenly that it's unplayable. Anyone with an idea what could cause this?

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Got my community server set up now. If it doesn't gain some traction in a couple days, I can share it here too :)

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Any more thoughts on solo play? I'm quite interested but I don't think my friends are sadly.

Oct 28, 2017
We've played now for 16 hours and it's hard to stop.

The game is beautiful, too. Don't underestimate good lighting/wind/sound/water effects. And very dense foliage/grass.

We have a winner here.

Oct 28, 2017
The game is insanely good looking thanks to the lighting.
It turns into a turd if you turn the lighting off, but with it enabled it is an amazing, weirdly magical thing.
It's also PS1/Quake 2 graphics more than PS2.
The PS2 could also never render so many trees / grass / items / player constructed buildings etc.
The comparison doesn't make sense at all.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The game looks great in motion, I don't think screenshots do it justice.

Also, base shot.

yyiTA4c.jpg

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to the lighting and the foiliage, the game has an amazing atmosphere, its so nice looking at night.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Just heard about this today and it sounds really awesome.

Do we know if there's plans for it to come to consoles? I don't see it on the roadmap so I dont I dont know if it's something they're thinking about

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Is this game doable solo?
I love the look and sound of it but some of these games are fine/good solo and some you just can't really cut it lol

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i promised myself i wouldn't buy anymore of these games, i always drop off pretty hard and fast. but this one... *sigh* okay you got me

might wait around for a discount but it's doing so well on steam that's probably moot unless i want to save two bucks or something

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
It's chill. Janky but chill, and the jank isn't necessarily bad - sometimes. Some really cool aspects though that I loooove.

Dec 23, 2017
This game is absolutely stunning, and the water physics are fantastic.

Not to mention the sound quality, it's great. Thunderstorms feel really convincing too.

CB98A668E463D32B40F7ADC284AE2E6086B9AB38

9D79C2183FDAC86CA118AE3D97E5BC00B93668BD

unknown.png

Dec 23, 2017
So as I was looking around for the Swamp area, instead I ran into the dreaded Deathquitos I've heard about. Apparently the Meadow I was in was right next to the Plains...

One of them got a hit on me and almost took off all my health, I ran like hell. Two of those Deathquitos were following me but I was able to actually bow them both down after dodging their attacks.

Not going close to Plains again.

SpillYerBeans

Oct 25, 2017
If I were to join friends who are already playing will I be left in the dust with the content they are on since there is progression in enemies/skills?