• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

The picture was made last year for the game's release, but re-used today to thank players for the support and since it's still the 10th anniversary of the franchise.

As usual, still recommend to get this excellent game, it's been regularly 50% off already on all platforms (it was the case on Steam this weekend, and I think still the case today on PS4 and Switch), and its DLC has been on sale for the first time this week.
Hopefully they managed to get a profit out of it despite the bad release date, and the franchise will get a fifth game...

Bonus recent illustration for White Day:

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
And I'm still only halfway through it, I'll go back one day....maybe
Hey the DLC is on sale on switch, Squad 7 nostalgia hour worth a look?

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I ended up buying the original first before playing it. I've finished it though, so I'll probably pick it up soon.

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think VK4 was great but I think VK5 must change the way it handles exposition. Comic book style become tiresome after 30 hours. I just want to fight!!

Oct 27, 2017
Great game, but still wish it didn't feel so copy-and-paste from Valkyria Chronicles 1, and the character and stories were not so generic.. Here's to hoping the next entry is more innovative.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Fun game, but I really didn't like many of the characters. Some of the minor ones in the Squad Stories I played were nice, though.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
My second most played game of 2018 in terms of total hours spent.

While I didn't enjoy it as much as VC1 (largely due to the cast being less endearing and memorable overall), I still had a great time with the updates to the battle mechanics. Hopefully we'll get a VC5 before too long!

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Oh right Japan.

Regardless of will or will not happen in the future, they gave it an honest shot at least and I was satisfied with the conclusion of the story.

Noel

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Connecticut
I'm glad they went back to the Valkyria 1 way of doing things, as the original was one of my favorites of all time. While VC4 was my GotY 2018, I'm really looking forward to them pushing the envelope while still keeping true to that combat formula I love so much.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
tied with XC2 and torna as best RPG this gen

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It's in my backlog still, but really excited to play it. I'm finally playing through VC1, and while it's a lot different than I expected I am enjoying my time with it.

Altera

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I've had this game since last year. Finally playing through it and it's fantastic!

Arkai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great game and really hope we get VC5. Deserves a ton more sales.

OP
OP
Eolz

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Great game, but still wish it didn't feel so copy-and-paste from Valkyria Chronicles 1, and the character and stories were not so generic.. Here's to hoping the next entry is more innovative.
To be fair to that, VC Rev was panned, VC2 was disliked by most people, and VC3 never released in the west (and didn't sell that well in Japan).
It made sense they'd stay close to the VC1 formula after a remaster and a long time since VC3 to try to make the franchise popular again.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
It was my first Valkyria Chronicles game. Hopefully not the last.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
To be fair to that, VC Rev was panned, VC2 was disliked by most people, and VC3 never released in the west (and didn't sell that well in Japan).
It made sense they'd stay close to the VC1 formula after a remaster and a long time since VC3 to try to make the franchise popular again.

Yeah honestly, the feedback I've heard saying it's another VC1 has me really excited to play it eventually.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I still need to finish it when I have more free time but I absolutely love it so far. If I remember right the issue with VC2 was that a lot of people pirated it for the PSP and it sort of failed commercially which led to VC3 never being localized.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh, it sold bad? That's a shame

I'm playing through 1 on Switch for the first time now and I'm having a pretty good time. Might follow it up with some others after it
... I guess I'm gonna have to follow it up with 4 then, lol.
What was so bad about VC2 (and the others to some extend)?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Such an amazing game, absolutely loved it.

Couldn't have asked for more from a new console VC.

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
I wouldn't call it an underappreciated series and as a matter of fact I know people who thought it was the best game of 2008 which was a really incredible year already in general for games.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Oh dang didn't realize the numbers weren't great. Got sucked into the franchise with the demo for 4 and am playing through the first game right now. Definitely planning on picking this up at some point.

Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Downplaying depictions of sexual harassment as discourtesy
Where does this sexist accusation come from?Raz made this rather impolite gesture towards Kai and he got beat in the next second...
Anyways I'm in Chapter 15. Hopefully I will finish it by the weekend,so as to proceed with Sekiro.
Interested to hear about the dlc too...

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I bought it during the Steam sale in November, still need to play it.
You should, it's great.

Yeah honestly, the feedback I've heard saying it's another VC1 has me really excited to play it eventually.
If you liked VC1 there's IMHO almost no way you can dislike VC4.

The improvement in mission design and variety is particularly apparent, and there are actually a lot of new gameplay mechanics introduces gradually that significantly change how you play.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've always found it annoying when English based forums or websites originating in the US or Europe act like Japanese release dates are the universally known dates. I saw some gaming Twitter account this week trying to say that Castlevania SOTN came out on this day 22 years ago but it's like no it didn't, that game came to the US in October of 97.

Also drives me crazy when I see people talk about games getting release dates and then you click into it and find out is a date for Japan while any sort of western release is still up in the air. Super annoying.

Anyway yeah, VC4 is great. I told Sega in the recent survey to make another one and don't release it in the most crowded time of year against numerous heavy-hitters and maybe it will sell.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Excusing harmful sexual objectification and dismissing concerns surrounding sexism
Where does this sexist accusation come from?Raz made this rather impolite gesture towards Kai and he got beat in the next second.
Its the complaint that just won't die. People love using it as an example of how the game is awful because Raz should never have slapped her butt, but then they completely fail to talk about how this makes Raz look like an asshole in front of everybody and it also allows Kai to demonstrate how she doesn't put up with bullshit when she puts him on the ground for it. If you're going to complain, pick your battles correctly. The game has other examples of embarrassing fan service (which I enjoy and don't have any problem admitting) but this butt slap ALWAYS comes up.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
One of my more frustrating recent gaming experiences. There's so much potential to this franchise, and VC 4 actually did a shockingly good job at fixing some of the shortcomings of its predecessors (namely in terms of mission design and gameplay, which is one of the most important parts of a good SRPG). Which was shocking to me, because the other VC games were usually pretty terrible in this regard.

But it feels like for every step these games take forward, they take like 10 steps back. Particularly with the story and cast, which have only been getting worse and worse since the first game.

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
It was a great game. I enjoyed it. Hoping for VC5. And I will be perfectly okay if it gives the same game without any updates with a different story. The gameplay is really great

Deleted member 35011

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Man, I loved the original VC1 but every game since has been "I love parts of it but..." for me. Like they come so close to being my jam but end up being just okay at the end.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I finally got round to playing this a couple of days ago, and it's been excellent thus far. It is basically the first game all over again but with added snow though. Which in this case is fine, because after years of waiting, most of us just wanted a conservative follow-up to VC1 in the end.

If the game didn't sell well, look on the bright side, it clearly didn't cost much to make. It has the exact same production values as a game that came out in 2007.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
I bought it at release but just started it up yesterday. The DLC episodes are on sale right now. Worth it?

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
An amazing game that more should play. I'll also take heart from the fact that Valkyria Chronicles was name dropped on a recent SEGA survey as one of "our most popular series" alongside Sonic and Yakuza.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I'm slowly playing the first one. I thought it was supposed to be an easier strategy game!

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
Half price on the eshop - was close to buying it but decided against it after many reviews saying it doesn't stray enough from the formula of the first one. I'd expect the 4th iteration of a series to at least not be the same game I played (VC1) but with a different set of characters.

Didyme

Oct 29, 2017
Excellent game. The story and characters may be not as good as those of VC1, but the gameplay benefits from some great improvements.