• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A playable demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 is out now on the Japanese PSN.

From Gematsu:

Gematsu said:
Sega will release a demo for the PlayStation 4 version of Valkyria Chronicles 4 via the PlayStation Store in Japan on February 26, Sega announced.

The demo, which is based around the opening parts of the game, will feature an exclusive mission, and its save data can be transferred the full game.

Also provided was a 17-minute direct-feed video of the game from IGN Japan:

Lastly, there was also a Q&A during the aforementioned play test event. (translation provided by Xenosaga )

some rough translations for Q&A stuff

Q: how long was development?
A: about 2 years for actual development. Much more for planning and pre-production stuff

Q:Why add new Grenadier class?
A: It's not just guns in battlefield. There are explosions too, so we added Grenadier.

Q: Why snow theme?
A: Because it fits the main theme of the game, "accomplishing the mission". Snow map consists of about half of the game's overall map.

Q: Any restrictions on share function/streaming?
A: There are no restrictions for share function

Q: There were additional classes added in VC2&3 that are not present right now. Are they going to be in the game?
A: No

Q: Any plans to add classes like Fencer as DLC later?
A: No. class like this doesn't fit the huge battlefield of VC4.

Q: Is there a class that can counter the Grenadier?
A: Grenadier has weakness. For example, it's very weak at interception.

Q: Edy is in the game as preorder bonus. Any relationships with VC1 characters?
A: Edy is just bonus. For more on this please play the Collectors edition DLC stuff with VC1 characters.

Q: Any plans for VC3 MC to appear?
A: There are no plans for any of VC3 characters to appear.

Q: Why does Tank only cost 1 now?
A: Because people didn't use the tanks that much in previous games.

Q: Any plans to sell the Collector's Edition exclusive DLC later?
A: No

Q: Is Maximilian going to be in this? Future plans for DLCs?
A: There is still time until release so please wait for more info. Also we do plan future DLC stuff

Q: Since the map is really big this time, isn't that a big disadvantage for class like shocktroopers?
A: You can ride the vehicles to move, or use the command system from VC3 (I don't know what this is exactly)

Q: Grenadier's interception is terrible. Does this improve later on?
A: Yes

Q: Now Snipers can do interception fires. If you give them anti-material rifle, will they intercept and destroy Tanks?
A: No it's not possible. But there is special anti-material interception weapon.

Q: We saw a weird masked shocktrooper ... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DWx6H84VQAACdIV.jpg
A: Just like previous games, there are normal soldiers and some weird ones. The VA is quite famous person for this particular one!

Q: This CANVAS engine was developed for PS4. How will the game work on the Switch?
A: (moment of silence) Honestly we don't know ourselves. All we can say is that we will try our best.

might have missed few.
https://twitter.com/Ryohei_Kancolle

Q&A Update:

Just to add on that Switch thing, this event was PS4 specific event and the PR person also said please dont ask regarding other hardware version. So they probably couldnt talk about any detail and had to give vague non-answer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Whelp, guess I'm skipping the Switch version then

That's a hot take if I've ever seen one.

Because the game has been in development for two years and the Switch has only really been out for one, doesn't it make sense that they'd develop it for their primary platform first and then port it to the newer, weaker platform once the base game was complete?

Just makes sense for to me.

Isn't the engine basically the same VC1 uses?

Yes, but there are multiple improvements to the weather effects, number of polygons, dynamic lighting, character and vehicle detail, textures, map geometry, and more.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Just to add on that Switch thing, this event was PS4 specific event and the PR person also said please dont ask regarding other hardware version. So they probably couldnt talk about any detail and had to give vague non-answer.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's a hot take if I've ever seen one.

Because the game has been in development for two years and the Switch has only really been out for one, doesn't it make sense that they'd develop it for their primary platform first and then port it to the newer, weaker platform once the base game was complete?

Just makes sense for to me.

Yes, but there are multiple improvements to the weather effects, number of polygons, dynamic lighting, character and vehicle detail, textures, map geometry, and more.
Switch devkits didn't start existing when it launched, the other user has entirely good reason to be worried.
It is better to have this in the op before more people start being worried about the switch version of the game

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to ask which version to buy but this answers that. PS4 version day one.

It just means they haven't touch much for the game on the Switch. It doesn't really indicate if the game runs horribly or well yet.

Now if they were saying it was extremely tough porting it then I'd be worried.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy

Sounds more like a developer giving an honest answer and the PR rep stepping in to stop further questions.

That being said, I'm not sure why people are surprised. It's pretty obvious that the Switch version is still fairly behind in development. Otherwise, it'd be released on the same day as the PS4 version, or at least it'd have a release date.

In any case, if anyone is worried about visuals, the Switch version (of any game, this one included) is probably not what they're looking for to begin with.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more like a developer giving an honest answer and the PR rep stepping in to stop further questions.

That being said, I'm not sure why people are surprised. It's pretty obvious that the Switch version is still fairly behind in development. Otherwise, it'd be released on the same day as the PS4 version, or at least it'd have a release date.

In any case, if anyone is worried about visuals, the Switch version (of any game, this one included) is probably not what they're looking for.
Yeah that could be the case as well. Maybe other team/studio will be handling the porting to Switch version so they might not know the details. They could decide to start on Switch version after finishing the game, since there will be like 4+ month gap they could work on it.

It's just way too early to make any sort of judgement on the Switch version.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I'll try the demo, but a potential purchase will be on the Switch, because the gameplay in this series is perfect for on the go.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What was the framerate of the first game on PS3 and 360? I recall someone saying it was 60, so maybe the Switch version might be that?

That was personal opinion based on how smooth the cinematics and gameplay seem to have been so far in trailers.

If true, framerate will be the first thing they sacrifice to make the game look as good as possible on switch. (From 60fps to 30fps)

Switch devkits didn't start existing when it launched, the other user has entirely good reason to be worried.

It is better to have this in the op before more people start being worried about the switch version of the game

That's true, but they also didn't go out early enough in Valkyria Chronicles 4's development to avoid being delayed compared to the base game. At the very least we can expect a 3-6 month delay for the system due to this.

Also, the note has been added to the OP.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
My body is ready. What time does the Japanese PSN store usually update for this sort of thing in Japan time? If it's midnight Japan that means I can play the demo right when I wake up.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My body is ready. What time does the Japanese PSN store usually update for this sort of thing in Japan time? If it's midnight Japan that means I can play the demo right when I wake up.

Was going to include a time - assuming it was at 12:00 AM - but I'm not sure.

If someone could clarify/verify, that would be appreciated.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This game won't be bad.

The simple reason for that is that it's basically the first Valkyria Chronicles with a different story.

100% agreed, though it seems like they've made some changes to the gameplay as well, so assuming the story remains solid, it could even be better.

Normally Sega releases demos at noon Japan time, which means around 10 PM EST on the 25th.

Alright - I've added this information to the OP. Thanks for that.

Abriael

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Milano - Italy
100% agreed, though it seems like they've made some changes to the gameplay as well, so assuming the story remains solid, it could even be better.

They have, but from all I have seen for now, they're marginal. The only substantial difference is bigger maps.

Which I am entirely happy with.

The only thing I wish they changed the rush-inducing scoring system, but I don't believe I've seen the scoring yet.

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I wish they changed the rush-inducing scoring system, but I don't believe I've seen the scoring yet.

We'll be able to see what changes there are when we're playing it tomorrow, but I agree that I hope they add more nuance to the scoring system.

Original game was 720p 30fps on PS3. Who knows how that translates to the new game

It's on more powerful systems now, both on PS4 and Switch, so as I've mentioned on a previous post it's my personal expectation that the game will perform at the following benchmarks:
  • PS4 & XB1: 1080p Native @ 60fps
  • PS4 Pro and XB1X: 4K Checkerboard/Native @ 60fps
  • Nintendo Switch Handheld Mode: 720p Native @ 30fps
  • Nintendo Switch Docked Mode: 1080p @ 30fps

Last edited:

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Last thing I want to do is worry anyone about the quality of the game - it looks like it'll be great - but remember, they released two demos for Valkyria Revolution, and that turned out... sub-optimal.

Oh.

New rule: 1 demo is a show of confidence for the quality of the game. 2 demos is desperation because they know it's not good.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Can't see the Switch struggling with any of that except maybe the more vague weather effects. Honestly Expecting it to run 1080p 30fps given the Original game was 720p 30fps on the PS3.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
We'll be able to see what changes there are when we're playing it tomorrow, but I agree that I hope they add more nuance to the scoring system.

It's on more powerful systems now, both on PS4 and Switch, so as I've mentioned on a previous post it's my personal expectation that the game will perform at the following benchmarks:
  • PS4 & XB1: 1080p Native @ 60fps
  • PS4 Pro and XB1X: 4K Checkerboard/Native @ 60fps
  • Nintendo Switch Handheld Mode: 720p Native @ 30fps
  • Nintendo Switch Docked Mode: 1080p @ 30fps*
* = Possibly 60fps due to CANVAS Engine enhancements. Unlikely, but possible.

Better hope PS4 and XB1 are 60fps

OP
OP
BRSxIgnition

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would keep expectations on this extremely low, unless they curb visuals radically from the PS4 version.

You're probably right. I've gone ahead and removed that. The Switch is good but it's not 1080p 60fps good.

Even if a toaster could run the original VC at 60fps on PC, doesn't mean the Switch can if there are other graphical updates to the engine on top of it - as has been shown.

Can't see the Switch struggling with any of that except maybe the more vague weather effects. Honestly Expecting it to run 1080p 30fps given the Original game was 720p 30fps on the PS3.

Agreed - they may end up having to reduce some of the dust effects or post processing for the Switch to make it run at 1080p based on what we've seen, but there's been plenty of time to optimize the CANVAS engine, so it's likely possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Can't imagine it's too demanding since it looks similar to the PS3 version. Would be nice if they would've actually started the porting process before announcing it, but hey, I can wait