• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1734699691818770723

Valve has a message to all you folks (myself included) who love huffing your Steam Deck exhaust fumes: Stop it. Please.

Have you ever taken a break from playing your Steam Deck to sample the complex fragrances emanating from its exhaust vent? If so, you aren't alone. Since the release of the handheld PC, many owners have reported that they can't stop sniffing the fumes that waft out of the Steam Deck during play. It's become a bit of a meme among Steam Deck owners, with folks often posting online how much they enjoy the distinctive aroma. I'm one of those sickos, sticking my nose right above the exhaust and taking a big whiff each time I play. But someone finally asked Valve about this, and it turns out the company wants you all to knock it off.

On December 12, Reddit user Metapod100 shared a screenshot showing them asking Steam Support if it was "safe to inhale the exhaust fumes" from the Steam Deck's top vent. The user pointed out that people enjoying the smell has become "somewhat of a meme" and admitted many folks really like doing it.

jcgk8LP.png

Oct 25, 2017
That last sentence from the Steam rep is a modern version of "if all your friends were jumping off a cliff, would you do it too?"

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Mine doesn't have the smell anymore but that first time I turned it on, it was so pleasant.

WBacon

Capcom USA
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
California
dang. And I thought I was in the minority with this kink behavior.

I glide the vent area under my nose as if playing a harmonica. The vent up top is practically asking for it.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I very rarely ever swap out Switch games because 98% of my library is digital, but when I do, I give the cartridge a little taste. I know it's terrible but the intrusive thoughts win every time.

If I buy a steam deck one day I'm gonna be huffing the shit out of that thing.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
no
i will keep doing it health implications be damned

Crissaegrim

May 23, 2018
Shit smells terrible, I can't see what everyone else likes about that smell. It's like warmed up plastic smell or something, idk.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
People who like the smell of the vent fumes on Steam remind me of the people who say they like the smell of gasoline. Fair enough, but I just don't get it.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
would love to smell it when you sell them here valve
i'll keep licking my switch cartridges wounds

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Someone backwards engineer the smell and make a killing on scented gamer candles!