• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still attribute that change in their views on Kaci.
Kaci joins Valve > They start communicating like crazy

OP
OP

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
I hope people dont waste time/space asking stupid HL3 meme questions or asking for story spoilers.

Good questions are things like why was Merle Dandridge recast and why was smooth locomotion only added in recently.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm poor but I play lots of video games. Don't underestimate me.

So why underestimate the guy that will wait a while for cheaper hardware and cheaper game to show up?
Not the same thing, but lots of people don't buy a console / game day 1.

On PC this is also true, an enthusiast platform with a ton of people at all ranges of the spectrum in terms of hardware and money they are willing to spend on whatever interests them. But a very significant subset will be up for the cutting edge thing, which in this case is true for HL:A and VR hardware for the PC they already have / upgrade / all new at a cost that fits them.

Why does it even need to be a thing everyone has to be able to get into off the bat?
Don't underestimate everyone else

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
So why underestimate the guy that will wait a while for cheaper hardware and cheaper game to show up?
Not the same thing, but lots of people don't buy a console / game day 1.

On PC this is also true, an enthusiast platform with a ton of people at all ranges of the spectrum in terms of hardware and money they are willing to spend on whatever interests them. But a very significant subset will be up for the cutting edge thing, which in this case is true for HL:A and VR hardware for the PC they already have / upgrade / all new at a cost that fits them.

Why does it even need to be a thing everyone has to be able to get into off the bat?
Don't underestimate everyone else

I've read this three times and have no idea what you're trying to say.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally going to forget about this tomorrow as it's happening, but I'm sure I'll see the aftermath if any juicy questions are answered.

I'm anticipating that the biggest ones will be: "When is the actual release date and time?" and "Will there be more after this is out?"

I don't expect either one of these will be given proper answers though. Prove me wrong, Valve!

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there is any chance for Valve to drop a new trailer or video walkthrough before this AMA to set the stage? I'd really like to see what they had planned to show during TGA.

Oct 25, 2017
Alyx is Half Life 3 in the same way Birth By Sleep was basically Kingdom Hearts 3 before the actual Kingdom Hearts 3 IMO.

This is a good comparison. Half-Life: Alyx is the next Half-Life game, unquestionably, but it is not Half-Life 3 in the sense that everyone thinks about it. In reality, it may be silly at this point to think much of anything about a Half-Life 3. I mean, is Half-Life 3 actually Half-Life 2 Episode 3? Is it a sequel, a prequel... is the thing that concludes the story of the combine Half-Life 3? Who knows. Maybe Alyx will be everything we could have ever wanted out of a Half-Life 3; maybe it answers all the lingering questions we've had. And maybe there will be 4 more Half-Life games, and none of them will be called Half-Life 3. It just doesn't seem like a question worth pondering anymore.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I just want to know what exactly happened to Episode 3, there's gotta be more to this story than just ''it didn't work out''

What exactly changed Valve after HL2 EP2 release? What causes them to walk away from singleplayer games? I want to know every single detail.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Besides all the Half Life 3 stuff, the first thing i would ask is: will you release a standard version in the future for people who don't like VR?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I wonder if there is any chance for Valve to drop a new trailer or video walkthrough before this AMA to set the stage? I'd really like to see what they had planned to show during TGA.

Possibly. Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, I think Valve skipped the TGAs not because the game wasn't in a state conducive to the creation of an uninterrupted gameplay trailer but because it didn't really make sense to play that card just three weeks after a relatively meaty announcement trailer.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
This is a good comparison. Half-Life: Alyx is the next Half-Life game, unquestionably, but it is not Half-Life 3 in the sense that everyone thinks about it. In reality, it may be silly at this point to think much of anything about a Half-Life 3. I mean, is Half-Life 3 actually Half-Life 2 Episode 3? Is it a sequel, a prequel... is the thing that concludes the story of the combine Half-Life 3? Who knows. Maybe Alyx will be everything we could have ever wanted out of a Half-Life 3; maybe it answers all the lingering questions we've had. And maybe there will be 4 more Half-Life games, and none of them will be called Half-Life 3. It just doesn't seem like a question worth pondering anymore.
They said in the interview with Geoff they would like to make Half Life 3 but want to see how Half Life Alyx does.

Oct 25, 2017
They said in the interview with Geoff they would like to make Half Life 3 but want to see how Half Life Alyx does.

That's great! But I still think it'd be fair to say that whatever a Half-Life 3 would be, it's not likely to be ... exactly what people think. Enough time has passed that I'd think the vision there has changed, and Alyx will probably shift expectations around at least a little bit. I just think it's silly at this point for people to still be begging for a game that they essentially know nothing about, and that absolutely is not the game that *was* in development at some point that they wanted back when it was clearer what it would be if it came out (Essentially Half-Life 2 Episode 3).

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
That's great! But I still think it'd be fair to say that whatever a Half-Life 3 would be, it's not likely to be ... exactly what people think. Enough time has passed that I'd think the vision there has changed, and Alyx will probably shift expectations around at least a little bit. I just think it's silly at this point for people to still be begging for a game that they essentially know nothing about, and that absolutely is not the game that *was* in development at some point that they wanted back when it was clearer what it would be if it came out (Essentially Half-Life 2 Episode 3).
The story is what they want. The gameplay was never very good.

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US