• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Remember Steam Machines? Valve seems to be trying to forget its bid to get everyone playing games on expensive little boxes from Alienware, Asus and the like, as it's removed the Steam Machines section from Steam. It's been a while since anyone really talked about the living room PCs, but this looks like the final nail in the coffin.

Steam Machines never really got their big moment. Valve envisioned a new ecosystem following on from Big Picture mode, where people would play PC games in their living room using a Steam Machine, Steam Controller and SteamOS, but the big launch at the end of 2015 only saw a handful of the boxes appear, and none of them exactly tempted people away from their desktops or consoles.

The issues were myriad. There were the delays, cancellations, high price points, and then there was the fact that people weren't really interested in SteamOS. The linux-based operating system was originally a draw, but it was delayed and then finally released with bugs and a poor frame rate when compared to Windows 10. Steam Machines ended up having to offer Windows alternatives.
https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-gets-rid-of-the-steam-machine-section/

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I think steam machines could have been cool if there was a way of having it be something that wasn't just an expensive small PC for in front of your TV. I can move my PC into my bedroom and get the same effect, and not have to spend extra. I can see why it would be nice in some situations, but the cost for something half way decent was extremely high (which makes sense as they are just PC's) and they didn't have enough variety to entice people. It was a good idea just not executed all that well.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe they bungled steam os as badly as they did same for the machines. Don't even see why they bothered they weren't serious about fixing some issues.

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having multiple companies trying to sell STEAM machines that all performed and looked differently was not a smart move. I'm not one for closed platforms, but I'm not against homogeneity when it comes to hardware. It saves on cost, easier to market, and the consumer knows what they're getting.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Valve does come up with some cool ideas, like the Steam Machine and the Steam Link, but they do fuck all to support them and then let them die off. I don't get why, except that I guess when your company literally prints money by doing nothing, you don't really have to care.

Hovac

Jan 30, 2018
What a shame. Valve could have cleaned up even more than they do already if they had done this thing right.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
You know its bad when Ouya seemed more successful than something.
Steamlink and Steam controllers have been nifty though. I popped a Steam link in my Retropi bartop arcade so I can switch from classic gaming goodness to streaming pc stuff. Great for those moments when you want some Shmup remakes.

quotethis

Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I wonder how many resources Valve have to exhaust for Steam machines and Steam OS to become a reality? They could have been making games. But, hey, STEAM!

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Steam Machines failed, but at least Steam lives on with a rock solid console style experience for those of us with HDMI output to TV or Steam Link.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
The initiative was doomed when Valve decided against releasing its own system. I understand that was done because it didn't want to undercut OEMs, but Steam Machines were never going to work as such products due to manufacturers needing to make money on the hardware itself.

Unseen

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like SteamOS was still updated in January. It'll slowly fade away or is there any worth to it...? How much of a userbase did it even gather?

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
Once Valve decided on Steam OS, it was DOA. They should have gone with a Windows back end and launched into a remade console like Steam overlay UI.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Alienware were the only company to make a good go of it but the state of SteamOS means this was never going to be a success regardless of the available hardware.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Always wondered why SteamOS didn't include some kind of integrated compatibility layer like WINE for the back catalog of older PC games. Too much of a legal grey area, perhaps?

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's a shame. I was hopeful Valve could break the Windows stranglehold on PC gaming, but they couldn't pull it off. And if they cant, who can?

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame. I was hopeful Valve could break the Windows stranglehold on PC gaming, but they couldn't pull it off. And if they cant, who can?
They did it way too soon. They should have waited for Vulkan support to get more wide spread like it is now and then go in on it.

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
I mean they didn't even try to make this one into a success. All they did was spend an enormous amount of time and resources on building and iterating on the Steam Controller, which was an eventual failure. On top of that, they didn't even bother putting in the appropriate resources on their crappy Steam OS. The final nail in coffin was the offering of Steam Machines that weren't even subsidized by Valve so that building PCs was as cheap or often cheaper than buying from a 3rd party. The whole thing was just a train wreck from start to finish. It's no wonder they're trying to phase this project out.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
How much do you think valve lost on this?

Not an amount worthy of retrospection, even if you were to play devil's advocate and assume that the associated actions to strengthen Linux as a gaming-oriented OS bore no fruit. Outside of the prototypes that were sent to select Steam Community members, Valve didn't manufacture its own system, so this isn't a uDrawesque situation where Valve has thousands upon thousands of unsold units sitting unloved in a warehouse somewhere.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
When Valve were first working internally on Steam machines, they made these small form factor, compartmentalized cases that were so cool looking and easy to build in. It seemed like a real forebear to the niche high end mITX cases that has gained popularity over the years. When they sent those out to random people for testing, I think the thought was that Steam machines would be something more like Valve's test product. Instead the manufacturers made a bunch of pretty ugly boxes which were scant on specs details. What I'm saying is, they should just sell that sweet case they made.

Edit: The Alienware Steam machine was actually pretty cool though. I remember seeing dozens at PAX.

Doctor Drew

Jan 9, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Among all the numerous things others have pointed out in this thread, I also feel like Windows 10 not sucking (and being pretty good!) really hurt this whole initiative a lot, too. I remember a lot of doom and gloom over Windows 8 and the MS Store that was driving the idea of going to a different platform like SteamOS. Except Windows 10 righted the course (or at least righted it enough) that the feeling that you might need to abandon ship subsided dramatically.

But hey, at least Steam Link is solid and Big Picture Mode still makes it versatile enough to use on a TV, so not everything is lost. Hopefully they're actually focusing on something that's more practically substantial, like a UI overhaul of the desktop app and new features.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well it was a nice try. Unfortunately I just have no interest in merging the console and PC when I prefer to have the full strengths of both.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When Valve were first working internally on Steam machines, they made these small form factor, compartmentalized cases that were so cool looking and easy to build in. It seemed like a real forebear to the niche high end mITX cases that has gained popularity over the years. When they sent those out to random people for testing, I think the thought was that Steam machines would be something more like Valve's test product. Instead the manufacturers made a bunch of pretty ugly boxes which were scant on specs details. What I'm saying is, they should just sell that sweet case they made.

Edit: The Alienware Steam machine was actually pretty cool though. I remember seeing dozens at PAX.

Sooo much this. The original concept seemed to be custom small form factor cases and accessories to make tv friendly PCs. The rather dumb take on gaf from console gamers who thought this was about making a steam console was always rather ridiculous. This was always about making it easier for PC gamers to make tiny, stylish machines for living room gameplay, or to facilitate streaming from your tiny pc to a tv in another room.

But their designs and prototypes never made it out to partners, or at least they didn't seem to want to follow them. Instead we got over priced, under performing fully built systems, instead of more form factor and style options.

At least we got the steamlink and steam controller out of it.

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
The idea of a small and silent gaming-PC is still viable, and with power-consumption and heat on GPUs going down quite a bit over the last years might now be more realistic than ever.
But the stupid "PC-masterrace" idiots had nothing better to do than shout at every single one of those, saying they had bad specs or were to expensive, while posting PC-builds of noisy minitowers and thus missing the entire point of those small formfactor PCs.

Funnily, PS4 and XB1-hardware ended up pretty close to the optimal Steam-machine spec- & pricewise.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It wasn't the year of gaming on Linux just yet, it seems.

They have made gaming on Linux way more accessible tho, they should be applauded for that.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Once Valve decided on Steam OS, it was DOA. They should have gone with a Windows back end and launched into a remade console like Steam overlay UI.
Half the reason (maybe 90% of the reason actually) Steam Machines and Steam OS were a thing was to break PC gaming's reliance on Windows. Remember this was back when everyone was paranoid Microsoft was going to close the ecosystem and make PC apps only purchasable from the Windows store.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually surprised it lasted this long.

As soon as we knew it was Linux based, I knew it was DOA.

Ja-

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The Steam OS initiative was nice with all the shit MS was doing with windows, but the hardware partnership was a huge disaster - way too expensive for the console peeps that wanted to jump to PC gaming.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Having multiple companies trying to sell STEAM machines
that all performed and looked differently was not a smart move. I'm not one for closed platforms, but I'm not against homogeneity when it comes to hardware. It saves on cost, easier to market, and the consumer knows what they're getting.

I believe this was one of the biggest issue with the Steam Machines, alongside them being Steam OS based with some Windows Machines alongside them. I would have liked to have seen something like the prototype Steam Machines made available instead of the Steam Machines from various different companies, some of them were incredibly limited or just bad too. I feel that if Valve released finalized versions of the Prototype Steam Machines they would have done much better, although having Windows would be ideal for game compatibility reasons.

The Prototype Steam Machine models were upgradable and some of them had pretty nice hardware in them for their time, IIRC some had GPUs in them like GTX 780s and CPUs such as the i7-4770 and i5-4570.

Having a solid baseline for a Steam Machine would be great as it ensures those who buy even the lowest priced model, if hypothetically there were multiple models, that many games would be compatible on the system for years to come and offer performance and visuals above consoles, with room to upgrade if you desire. It would make entering PC Gaming so much more accessible for people if the lowest priced model was essentially a mid-range PC.

I'd also love it if these hypothetical Steam Machines made PC Gaming a more affordable entry route through Steam Machines, compared to a total custom build. Like if Valve were able to source the hardware and offer the whole machine at lower price point or something, like how console companies are able to bring consoles to market because they're getting things at lower prices, or even by making money off the software. Valve gets a 30% cut of all Steam sales so I think the latter option could work well in their favour.

If Valve were to launch their own Steam Machines today, I'd like to see something like this:

Base Model
CPU: i5 8400 (6 cores at 2.8-4.0GHz)
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB/RX 480 8GB
Memory: 16GB 3000MHz (2X8GB)
Storage: 1TB HDD + 128GB SSD for OS and Software)
PSU: 500-600W (Gold, 80 Plus? - This leaves headroom for GPU upgrades, etc.
Operating Systems - Windows 10 + optional dual boot Steam OS?
Price: £600-800?
Yeah I know, GPU and Ram prices are kinda messed up these days... My gosh I just had another look at ram prices, wow!

I don't know really, the concept of Steam Machines really intrigues me, I believe there is tons of potential and it could also make mid to high-end PC Gaming more approachable and mainstream.
Of-course, there's so much things that could be said about such a concept, such as the feasibility of it, how Valve could work with developers etc.

Edit - Expanded post and corrected spelling mistake.

Last edited: