• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
We sampled two decks. The spells you play are limited to the color of whatever hero(es) are in a given lane. So we played one round as red/black. one round as blue/green. (Those are the four current colors.) No cards we saw worked like "traps," but they could be activated to trigger at the start of every round, or to mount bonuses based on how long a certain hero stays alive.

Thanks. The color mechanic sounds interesting.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's an actual reason power is tied to rarity in games like Magic - it's not just a cash grab (mostly) it's about controlling the draft format. Guess this game won't have that?

I'd also agree with the general sentiment that an entry fee probably renders this DoA. It'd be one thing if it was a deckbuilding game, but as a TCG? Nah, son.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am at Valve HQ right now. I'll have a story up at Ars tomorrow. I can try to field questions in the meantime!

How is the card collecting going to work? How will they control supply if they allow cards to be sold on the market place, that is, what's to stop people from selling rare cards for high amounts(Rare as in, cards that don't drop alot, because there WILL have to be those kinds of cards).

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
it's not f2p?
wow that's a real surprise
i mean dota is f2p, why not make this game f2p as well?
really strange decision

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not f2p?
wow that's a real surprise
i mean dota is f2p, why not make this game f2p as well?
really strange decision
That's the thing I'm most worried. I mean, it does makes the "experience" as close to an actual TCG as possible, as you do have to buy a starter deck. But with this competition I don't really think that's a good idea.

Pepito

Dec 11, 2017
As someone who plays Dota 2 on the reg, I'm really digging all of the new art.

Wow.

Norgler

Nov 13, 2017
Sounds like a more realistic card game being able to sell trade cards.

I'm curious how that will work though. Will you buy packs and then sell what you don't need. Sound like it could be a real money sink.. or money maker if played right.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Just a FYI, Richard Garfield didn't have a stellar track record developing card games after MTG. Most died very quick deaths.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're charging for the game and then you also have to buy cards on the marketplace? Lmao

Pass

Fahzzy

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Jan 21, 2018
I'm actually interested in this. I'm down for a more skill based card game. Hearthstone is a joke.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Oh god, that "bargain hunting" line.

$900 ultra rare foil Pudge on the Steam Marketplace. This is everything Valve's ever been building towards.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
wait so you have to buy the game AND the cards? huh

Also when they first announced it what day9 described was nothing like this, this is more like MtG/Hearthstone game than they first led us to believe.

they're trying to mimic paper game but the main reason digital card games are popular is because they're not cost prohibitive like the paper games. I can't see how this won't be P2W and not end up much more expensive than a game like Hearthstone to get into.

Letting steam marketplace to dictate card prices is sketchy at best and then they say they have no rotations/blocks forever, you sure about that? That is guaranteed to be retracted later.

Last edited:

Iced_Eagle

Dec 26, 2017
Seems interesting I suppose. A bit surprised it's not F2P. TBH, I only have a somewhat passing interest with card games like Hearthstone, etc, and only play them when I get bored. It does make it less likely I play this, unless I didn't need to worry about grinding for cards or shit like that.

Using their marketplace to trade cards makes sense for Valve, but it's a big red flag for me to make their game depend on it so heavily from what I can tell. I'd assume they'll have something like buying random booster packs with real money, but if you'd want a specific card you go to their marketplace and direct trade with other users with cash? Bleh.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Since they're saying there is no rotation and cards are legal forever I assume they will do buffs and nerfs on cards regularly like it's dota2.

They say they want to keep players' investments in the cards so what happens when your cards is nerfed? The price plummets on the marketplace and viceversa when buffed. They're not launching a card game, they're launching an stock market. I'm sure it will work great for Valve but I'd be wary of getting into this lol.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That looks very uninteresting tbh, but at least they don't seem to be going the p2w route. But the whole trading and bargain hunting makes me think there'll be super rare cards you can find like one in a million packs and then trade off for thousands of dollars. And, of course, those cards will happen to be OP as shit. Not sure I'm into that. Gotta admit the lane thing seems interesting though.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually I'm just gonna flip-flop and say if their business model is the same as classic cards games, where you buy a "pack" of cards which are unknown until you after you've made your purchase, then this is just Loot Box redux; the same immoral predatory business practices that we've all been pushing back against.

it's not predatory or immoral. just because you don't like thing doesn't make it so.

and loot boxes are booster packs redux, not the other way around. the practice has been around for years and is alluring to a lot of people, which is why mtg has them since inception and always will. only difference is the physical nature and in regards to cosmetics, utility.

They say they want to keep players' investments in the cards so what happens when your cards is nerfed? The price plummets on the marketplace and viceversa when buffed. They're not launching a card game, they're launching an stock market.

card games do this, too. including the one made by the guy making this.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
I wonder if this will get Steam Community Marketplace integration to help determine card value. It'll have to have some sort of upper-level control so that it doesn't turn into a P2W obviously, but it'd be an interesting way to gauge card popularity, card usage, and rarity.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Having more of a normal secondary market potentially puts a high price ceiling on the best cards, but it lowers the price floor to practically nothing. Should make for a very different economy than Hearthstone and its competitors, more like MTGO.

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
it's not predatory or immoral. just because you don't like thing doesn't make it so.
Can't see what you are actually buying, you are hoping for something better than what you'll likely get and you can pay more to gamble again? If so, that is inarguably predatory. Immoral is a more personal take, but I could agree with that too.

If Artifact works like this (we don't know yet), then I'm not interested. F2P hooks belong in "free" games, and nowhere else.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Garfield on board is a very good thing.
Not sold on the business model, but he never said they're going to sell random packs of cards. What if the cards have to be bought directly from a store? Too good to be true? Too terrible to be true?
hmmmmmm....

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
The business model for this is making me extremely worried. There's no way I'm playing a game where I'd have to spend like 200$ on a single competitive deck. And since this sounds like Valve wants to emulate real physical card games, that might actually be the case.

Particularly when there's so many free to play games this will be competing with, including the upcoming MTG: Arena.

As for Garfield being involved, I wonder how much of a hand he had in actually making this. His name just seems to pop up on so many underwhelming card games recently. Like Solforge or Spectromancer.

Oct 27, 2017
The business model for this is making me extremely worried. There's no way I'm playing a game where I'd have to spend like 200$ on a single competitive deck. And since this sounds like Valve wants to emulate real physical card games, that might actually be the case.

Particularly when there's so many free to play games this will be competing with, including the upcoming MTG: Arena.

In theory, the paid games must give you way more cards than F2P ones. Knowing Valve, the game is going to get 1 expansion per year. Dota 2 gets like 2 heroes every year...

Paid Package + Low amount of new content = Low upkeep

However, the market scavenging and player-driven economy sounds like the usual trading card game. I would imagine that being within a single card market, there will be so much fuckery and price-manipulation where it will be card-sharks and profiteers squeezing money from the players who just want to build competitive decks. There will be bots whose entire purpose is to snipe X cards below Y price, hoard them, and basically build the schemes on repeat.

Either Valve is going to flood the market with cards (like Dota 2 items), or they are going to create a mythics/hats/knives scarcity scenario of competitive/rare cards in Artifact.

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't see what you are actually buying, you are hoping for something better than what you'll likely get and you can pay more to gamble again? If so, that is inarguably predatory.

how when you're consciously buying into this with the hopes of getting something better? you're not being tricked into "gambling."

it's not exploiting you if it tells you exactly what the game is and you're aware of what you're buying into. games usually do a solid job of introducing the concept of the packs and the randomness within.

some people like the randomness of lootboxes. shouldn't be surprising considering the games with random loot, like destiny, diablo, the division, path of exile, etc. video games at their core are exploitive in some sense. crafting games a lot of times are exploitive. i'm guessing a lot of the hate comes from a lack of self-control. i'm looking at a person spending thousands of dollars on skins/packs the same i'm looking at a person that dies from playing WoW or something.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I interpret the "not F2P" as the game being set up more like a traditional card game where a person buys in with a starter deck or something along those lines. If there's any company that has the tech foundation to create a virtual card game that emulates a real card game's economy it's Valve. Interested to see how it plays out.

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
some people like the randomness of lootboxes. shouldn't be surprising considering the games with random loot, like destiny, diablo, the division, path of exile, etc. video games at their core are exploitive in some sense. crafting games a lot of times are exploitive. i'm guessing a lot of the hate comes from a lack of self-control. i'm looking at a person spending thousands of dollars on skins/packs the same i'm looking at a person that dies from playing WoW or something.

You said it yourself, they make money by exploiting your weaknesses, how is this not predatory? Some people are weaker than others, does this mean it's OK to fuck them over?

Rembrandt

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You said it yourself, they make money by exploiting your weaknesses, how is this not predatory? Some people are weaker than others, does this mean it's OK to fuck them over?

because it's hard for me to think of something on sale that doesn't attempt to exploit a person's weakness(es) - it's capitalism.

when it comes to something as trivial as digital items, I would categorize that as a super first world problem.

this is a card game. how many trading card games don't have booster packs?

loot boxes replaced actual predatory microtransactions that actually exploited you by actively limiting your base gameplay unless you paid, sometimes rendering your purchase useless. this isn't that.

Oct 27, 2017
how when you're consciously buying into this with the hopes of getting something better? you're not being tricked into "gambling."
it's not exploiting you if it tells you exactly what the game is and you're aware of what you're buying into. games usually do a solid job of introducing the concept of the packs and the randomness within.

giphy.gif

Please stop this derailing of the thread, it is about Artifact discussions and not the morality of lootboxes again. There are so many threads for that...