carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Daily Hive Vancouver: Woman launches into racist tirade against staff at Burnaby Shoppers Drug Mart

Screen-Shot-2019-10-29-at-8.11.14-AM.png

In front of what is presumed to be her son, a young woman freaked out and insulted staff at the Shoppers Drug Mart in Burnaby.

She tells them to "speak English in Canada", calls the staff "stupid", etc.

--------

I'm from Vancouver BC and have lived in Burnaby before. I wonder which location this is. Unfortunately Canada (and obviously basically anywhere) isn't exempt from racist bullshit like this.

Still a bit shocking to see this, even if it really isn't that uncommon.

There are racist assholes everywhere.

Last edited:

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I saw a vinyl sticker on a rear window the other day with a Canadian flag and the words 'fit in or fuck off.'

It was beyond classy.

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I go to that Shopers Drug Mart. Everybody on social media are also blaming the people for not standing up to the employees. The guy just filmed, uploaded and did nothing to say thats wrong. Society nowadays just films and does nothing

OP
OP
carlosrox

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I go to that Shopers Drug Mart. Everybody on social media are also blaming the people for not standing up to the employees. The guy just filmed, uploaded and did nothing to say thats wrong. Society nowadays just films and does nothing

Which one is it?

Edit: How did I miss it in the very article I linked lol..

Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
in for the ruin of that lady and the inevitable "im sorry, thats not who i am" apology.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
The dude in the light blue shirt was also either a manager or night supervisor depending on the time... so she basically was dehumanizing him by suggesting there was someone of higher authority than him.

He had full power to tell her to fuck off into space.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
I live by here and go to that Shoppers Drug Mart from time to time they're always super nice in there. Not surprised though it wouldn't be the first time I've heard that in public.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
it´s sucks because one of my favorite things about The Couve was hearing multiple leangues while walking around downtown

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can already see her apology.

"I'm sorry if I offended people"
"I was tired that day because (insert sob story about her kid)"
"This does not represent who I am"
"I'm not racist, I eat Chinese all the time"
"etc."

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
White woman complains to two workers on unceded land in a majority non-white city to speak only one language in a country with two official languages.

There's so many layers here.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
People can be better than this, but no matter how much racism is exposed it still comes out of them

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
i hope she gets fired from her job.

that'll teach her.
I don't know how I feel about this. Her outburst was uncalled for by all means, but sometimes I feel like internet vigilantism mob mentality takes it too far. Maybe it's a case by case basis, but is her losing a job and effectively ruining her prospects of future jobs (essentially ruining her life) really justice? She has a kid to take care of and he will be impacted the most. I dunno. She will make an apology no doubt, and she might get fired by her employer because it could make them look bad. What I just don't like about it is harassing the business with phone calls to get her fired and the death threats. I get the internet upload thing, but the death threats and what not are too much. Sigh

She should be punished but I wish she can apologize and learn from it vs getting fired right off the bat and having her life ruined.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Daily Hive Vancouver: Woman launches into racist tirade against staff at Burnaby Shoppers Drug Mart

Screen-Shot-2019-10-29-at-8.11.14-AM.png

In front of what is presumed to be her son, a young woman freaked out and insulted staff at the Shoppers Drug Mart in Burnaby.

She tells them to "speak English in Canada", calls the staff "stupid", etc.

--------

I'm from Vancouver BC and have lived in Burnaby before. I wonder which location this is. Unfortunately Canada (and obviously basically anywhere) isn't exempt from racist bullshit like this.

Still a bit shocking to see this, even if it really isn't that uncommon.

There are racist assholes everywhere.

When I see this kind of crap in real life, I almost can't believe these people actually exist outside of TV or film.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
This is the country where every product sold is legally mandated to have two languages on its packaging...

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
She should be punished but I wish she can apologize and learn from it vs getting fired right off the bat and having her life ruined.

I think she'll be okay. It'll likely pan out in a similar fashion to Kelly Pocha - she'll apologize that she was caught on camera, her employer will fire her in a public manner and then they'll rehire her after everyone has forgotten about it.

realSentientStone

alt account
Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Just the escalating ego backlash against the system's adoption of reliable foreign labour in favour of the local labour.
Of course, the many visibly wealthy Asians in the area and in media farther causes the feeling of divide. Then of course, this narrative in the hearts of the population causes social unrest and can be used to gain election votes, etc. We are all one. :/

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
what a fucking idiot.

pretty much everyone and their descendants in this country except the first nations are fucking fobs and were one at some point. and this racist is an idiot and embarrassment

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
I can already see her apology.

"I'm sorry if I offended people"
"I was tired that day because (insert sob story about her kid)"
"This does not represent who I am"
"I'm not racist, I eat Chinese all the time"
"etc."

Haha I like you and "I eat Chinese"

I'm going with what you said and add in:

"I'm a community member"
"I was drugged"
"I'm married to an Asian"

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
It's ironic that this happened in Canada, doubly ironic that it happened in Vancouver of all places.

I honestly think Vancouverites, Canadians (not new immigrants) not just this woman are getting tired of seeing housing go high, more and more people not speaking English. Just driving around Richmond, you can also see there's a language war going on between Chinese lettering in stores and English lettering. Same with Indian immigrants in Surrey. I'm starting to see more and more immigrants not integrate within Canadian culture and would rather "be with there people" so as to say. I use to see this type of rhetoric in the US due to latinos but now Canadians are getting frustrated with new Asians.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how I feel about this. Her outburst was uncalled for by all means, but sometimes I feel like internet vigilantism mob mentality takes it too far. Maybe it's a case by case basis, but is her losing a job and effectively ruining her prospects of future jobs (essentially ruining her life) really justice? She has a kid to take care of and he will be impacted the most. I dunno. She will make an apology no doubt, and she might get fired by her employer because it could make them look bad. What I just don't like about it is harassing the business with phone calls to get her fired and the death threats. I get the internet upload thing, but the death threats and what not are too much. Sigh

Man...it really isn't fun to be on the receiving end of racism. Thanks for making us think of her feelings though.