• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

St. Eam the 3rd

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 18, 2022
Smaller than Steam Deck and detachable controller are the main things we wanted to hear!! Let's go for the superior form factor:)

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
Wonder how the magnets would work? Hard to imagine them being strong enough not to risk accidently pulling off or bending away - and if they were it'd be tough for them to be released!

Exciting that it'll be a bit bigger, hopefully means better (or at least the same) battery life.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Magnetic connection doesn't seem anywhere near strong enough to hold while playing handheld.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Basically:
  • Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it.
  • Every manufacturer agrees the console won't release this year and will release Early 2025.
  • A bit bigger than the current Switch models but nowhere close to the Steam Deck's size.
  • Joy-cons will change their attachment system from rails to a magnetic system, and the current ones won't be forwards compatible.
  • The current Pro Controller will work on Switch 2.

Seems like 2025 it is, then!

Larger than current Switch is fine by me, good that it's not as big as the Steam Deck - that seems a bit too bulky for my tastes.

Magnetic attachment and no forward compatibility for existing joy cons is interesting. Double confirmation of similar form factor with remove-able controllers but hopefully this new revision is more sturdy and the larger size of the console overall will help here for sure.

Thank GOD the current Pro controller is forwards compatible at least.[/url]

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Please dont cut corners again Nintendo.

I don't know as if anyone else was getting the kind of power out of something with that form factor (certainly not at that price) when it launched seven years ago.

I appreciate that the Switch feels 'underpowered' in today's market, seven years after it launched. But I don't remember feeling that at launch at all. It was magic seeing what it could do as a handheld.

I suppose you could argue that they cut corners in aid of the form factor. Like, it was underpowered compared to a PS4 Pro because it was about as big as a large phone. But that seems reasonable?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I remember before the N64 was fully announced or whatever, when journalists would visit certain studios working on games for it, the devs would play their games for them with the controller in a box, to avoid leaks.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
2LQMW0o.gif

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
I don't know as if anyone else was getting the kind of power out of something with that form factor (certainly not at that price) when it launched seven years ago.

I appreciate that the Switch feels 'underpowered' in today's market, seven years after it launched. But I don't remember feeling that at launch at all. It was magic seeing what it could do as a handheld.
Outside of Smash and Mario Odyssey I always felt is was compromised. BOTW felt okay but when Genshin came out it opened my eyes as to how much I was not a fan of how it looked. Great for a handheld sure... but I wanted a dedicated nintendo console which I did not get. I was fine with the switch at first, being a handheld/ console hybrid was novel, but cracks started to show for games I was supposed to love by the time Arceus/ New Horizons came out. New Horizons was especially grating for me because of the terrible load times for online features and the rendering times for terraforming and indeed switch games look and feel best in every way you can play outside of switch.

It wasnt until Steam Deck came out that I realized I can have an amazing handheld and a much more robust console experience. I never asked for it before, but its the reality we live in now. I want to know how its going to compete. Alternately Id be fully on board for a non-handheld console. Options are nice.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
It's in air quotes, and probably not referring to literal touching it blindfolded or in a dark box or something silly. Given that this is from accessory makers, they were probably given dimensions and such, told how many parts there were, how things connect, etc. The stuff you need to know to start making bags, cases, chargers, etc.
Went back to the podcast where they explain this more in detail. I transcribed and translated what Rubén said.

"Every manufacturer we talked to said they had touched it. And I asked, well, "touch and see, right?" and no, they only said they touched it. They were able to put their hands into a black box, which was completely opaque and closed, and they were able to only touch the console itself. Why? Because they didn't want pictures or videos to leak out, or have the exact dimensions leak based on pictures and such to start developing stuff before Nintendo allows them. Everyone has told us the same thing, they haven't been able to see it and they've only been able to get an idea of the dimensions and feel only by touching the console in this way."

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Way back at my job were developing apps for the yet to release Amazon Fire Tablet.

The model we had to work with was basically the tablet which was encased in a giant generic black casing and we could only access the screen.
If we returned it with the casing busted we would be in deep shit. And the casing was designed that if you busted it open you couldn't put it back together again.
This is the only way this leak makes any sense lol.

But even then the part about magnetic joycons makes it super weird too

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
So accessories manufacturers, the people that actually have to see the physical specs of the product to produce accessories have to... rely on the sense of touch ?

It does sound a tad weird, but considering the thing is almost a year off at this point, and I do not see claimed at which time the said accessoiry manufacurers were allowed to "touch" it, so could have been months ago by now, they likely still have plenty of time to get their ducks in a row, and eventually will at least get to see it to be able to produce the accessoiries needed ( I hope lol). I can see maybe 1 or 2 of them that will have stuff ready for Switch 2 launch, like it was for Switch 1 as well. And I gather a bunch of them will take a wait and see aproach as well, to see how hardwae sales pan out first.

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪
Went back to the podcast where they explain this more in detail. I transcribed and translated what Rubén said.

"Every manufacturer we talked to said they had touched it. And I asked, well, "touch and see, right?" and no, they only said they touched it. They were able to put their hands into a black box, which was completely opaque and closed, and they were able to only touch the console itself. Why? Because they didn't want pictures or videos to leak out, or have the exact dimensions leak based on pictures and such to start developing stuff before Nintendo allows them. Everyone has told us the same thing, they haven't been able to see it and they've only been able to get an idea of the dimensions and feel only by touching the console in this way."

Hmm, I mean, I get it but what's the point in doing this?
Not seeing so that there aren't leaks I get that, but you gotta let them know the dimensions at least if you want them to start developing accessories for that device.

cursed beef

Jan 3, 2021
Love my Steam Deck but definitely looking forward to having a good-sized handheld that won't completely fuck up my wrists again

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Wonder how the magnets would work? Hard to imagine them being strong enough not to risk accidently pulling off or bending away - and if they were it'd be tough for them to be released!

Exciting that it'll be a bit bigger, hopefully means better (or at least the same) battery life.
Imo a magnetised rail makes a lot of sense, the plastic release tabs broke on one of mine

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle

Seems silly, but that's good to know.

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
steam deck is far too big, but also in the same breath i treat my switch as a console and never use it handheld

looking forward to the switch n snap

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really doubting this based on the magnets. I don't think magnets would be solid enough to hold the weight of the tablet and withstand all the force being exerted when holding during play. And if they were strong enough, it would be a pain in the ass to get them off

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
Magnetically attachable does not have to mean theres an additional click in system for extra sturdiness. For instance I have a magnetic bike mount for my S24 Ultra that has additional bits that snap and keep it in place, and its quite sturdy too, you can mountainbike with these over rough terrain without them falling off, and that is with a small square shaped surface area, the Switch 2 will like be magnetic alongside the entire side, which probably will have more surface area then my boke mount. And I assume itll have a similar system of pushing in a button to disable the current the electric magnetic field it likely uses for u to get them off easy.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
That "Switch Attach" or "Nintendo Attach" name might actually be real. It could be a console where you can attach a number of peripherals through magnets: joy-cons, a second screen, another console console for tabletop multiplayer, a camera and so on.
I was thinking the same thing...

Hopefully it's called something different.