• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

g.a.u

Oct 31, 2017
Way back at my job were developing apps for the yet to release Amazon Fire Tablet.

The model we had to work with was basically the tablet which was encased in a giant generic black casing and we could only access the screen.

If we returned it with the casing busted we would be in deep shit. And the casing was designed that if you busted it open you couldn't put it back together again.

So not just nintendo do this huh

rubidium

Oct 25, 2017
When I saw the word "magnetic" in the title I immediately imagined the hall effect joysticks lol.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
That "Switch Attach" or "Nintendo Attach" name might actually be real. It could be a console where you can attach a number of peripherals through magnets: joy-cons, a second screen, another console console for tabletop multiplayer, a camera and so on.

I always thought we'd get a bunch of cool peripherals, especially controllers, with the OG Switch.

Never happened. 🤣

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's totally illogical nonsense that manufacturers get it shown off like this as it would be totally pointless. Do you think stuff gets tooled and manufactured based on a random touchy feely black box sesh or with you know, CAD drawings or the like with extremely precise down to the mm measurements?

There will be multiple stages to the process: getting manufacturers excited about the potential for new categories of accessories, or used to the conceptual changes in design so that they can start production planning - but obviously actual prototypes or detailed manufacturing designs will require more information.

Controlling leaks is essential to keep the Switch selling. The partner rollout will be in stages, with committed partners getting CAD designs, likely all at the same time to avoid complaints about competitive advantage.

Oct 31, 2017
I think that the *Touch* word is significant. Is the gimmick like someone already said you only need to "Touch" the console with various peripherals and it connects! This could be true maybe of AR/VR!

I am excited for Nintendo *TOUCH*

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
It's pretty standard in many industries.

Car parts manufacturers often also receive prototype cars in an all black "case" where you can only see the silhouette/form factor of the car but not even the logo of the manufacturer or anything that's still supposed to be a secret, interiors, design etc etc.

Source: I've seen some of these.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Is it believable though? Like seriously? Think for more than a second.

Yes, 100%.

Think about it, for it not to be true either the guys at Vandal made it up, or all the different sources made it up.

Clearly all the sources wouldn't make something like that up, so thats out of the question

Now the guys at Vandal, why would make that up? Makes no sense, irregardless of their proven track record, they have nothing to win making some bizarre shit like that. Now you add their track record and it would be totally out of character.

So again, it's weird, but the alternative is even more outlandish. Just some critical thinking.

Last edited:

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
  • The current Pro Controller will work on Switch 2.

tumblr_oylv09iG7n1vbcnq8o1_500.gif

Nov 13, 2017
It's very common in the tech industry, it just doesn't get talked about much for obvious reasons. There's some cool stuff out there about iPhone prototypes being worked on in isolation with each department not knowing what the device would look like. They would work with wooden boxes connected to cables or nondescript boards. In some cases teams would see the final design at the same time as the public.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If the two sides can magnetically attach to the sides of the new Switch, could each controller connect to each other to create what is effectively a normal controller?

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of Smash and Mario Odyssey I always felt is was compromised. BOTW felt okay but when Genshin came out it opened my eyes as to how much I was not a fan of how it looked. Great for a handheld sure... but I wanted a dedicated nintendo console which I did not get. I was fine with the switch at first, being a handheld/ console hybrid was novel, but cracks started to show for games I was supposed to love by the time Arceus/ New Horizons came out. New Horizons was especially grating for me because of the terrible load times for online features and the rendering times for terraforming and indeed switch games look and feel best in every way you can play outside of switch.

It wasnt until Steam Deck came out that I realized I can have an amazing handheld and a much more robust console experience. I never asked for it before, but its the reality we live in now. I want to know how its going to compete. Alternately Id be fully on board for a non-handheld console. Options are nice.

Ehhhh...in terms of mass market appeal Steam Deck isn't competing with Nintendo and never has (and both companies know it). Steam Deck releasing so long after Switch + the price it has + using versions of games that naturally have hardware scaling due to PC requirements also means that they aren't totally comparable like that anyway.

Switch 2 is rumored to be roughly as powerful as a PS4 Pro which is going to be more than enough for the general market that is interested in the Switch now/got it to be the sales juggernaut it is. They just have to nail price + games and make sure people want to transition from their Switch to their new system, but right now the ball is firmly in their court.

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
The more I think about this the less I believe it; magnets CAN be really strong! They can't possibly use strong enough ones to connect controllers without them being dangerous to kids.

DocScroll

May 25, 2021
I can believe the weird black box thing as it seems Nintendo have become increasingly frustrated with leaks but also what would the purpose be of letting people touch but not see the Device?

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
1. we don't know if it's real
2. "It COULD be [...]"
3. you still we able to play your games normally

so don't be silly and doom about a system we didn't even see

1. Yes, but we have more than enough clues and rumors and copyright patent stuff about it that something to some degree will be real, unless they really scrapped everything about that besides the joycon connection. But that would surprise me. It would be so fitting if it won't be "just" a Switch 2 but rather something with a stupid name and a gimmick.
I know on what I would put my money on if I had to bet.

2. Basically 1.

3. You basically also could with the Wii U but here we are.

LCD is not necessarily shitty, and OLED isn't necessarily perfect.

This is funny to me. People say this as a defense for decades. And yet, I still have to see a single one that doesn't look like shit. Especially in the handheld sector.
People said this over and over again about the first Steam Deck, then it came out and, surprise surprise, the screen was dogshit. LCD bleeding, colorless dogshit.
I have both Steam Decks still here and my god what a difference.
And like I said, people said the exact same thing as you right now before the Deck came out.
Sure not every OLED is perfect, but oh boy was the Switch OLED an absolute bombshell. Probably still the most high end high tech looking thing Nintendo ever released.

Oct 31, 2017
I think because its Nintendo ( i know its that again!) it has to have something more than just raw power!

Nintendo always innovate! Welcome the Nintendo *TOUCH*

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Why not just show a 3D-printed replica with identical dimensions but all the fine details removed?

Oct 31, 2017
Think about the keyword! Touch!
First Switch because thats what you do and now TOUCH even faster than switch!

I feel this is the latest one word that will really catch on like Switch, but the way they will do it, it will use various add ons.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Also each Switch 2 that they could touch but not see was chained to a model's waist.

Nintendo is such a weird company.

Oct 27, 2017
Magnets doesn't sound believable to me.
So it's probably true, because I would have doubted the legitimacy of many of Nintendo's console features and form factors over the decades.

"What do you mean the Gamecube has a handle? Sounds wrong to me."

"A handheld with two screens? Why?"

"The console is called the Wii and the controller looks like TV remote? Yeah, sure /sarcasm"

Etc...

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
That's what I was hoping to see. I'm not sure how magnetic joycons isn't a disaster waiting to happen. Unless there's an extra lock mechanism in place.
I'm sure there will be. I mean the current joy-cons slide down the rails and then lock in place. Chances are the joy-cons still lock in place with a mechanism,with the magnets largely used to ensure the joy-cons are kept stable.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
The twist is that the pro controller will only work on backwards compatible titles just like the Ps5 and the ps4 controller.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Basically:
  • Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it.
I know Nintendo can be a bit out there but this sounds like absolute bullshit.
What would manufacturers gain by being able to feel it if they can't see it? Why just not let them touch it at all.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see. A magnetic connection seems unlikely to me as it would be quite difficult to design in a way that would be both strong enough to work and not also potentially unsafe for users. I could see it as a way of further securing the controllers, in addition to a rail like on the Switch, but not as the main method of attachment.

machtia

Oct 29, 2017
The more I think about this the less I believe it; magnets CAN be really strong! They can't possibly use strong enough ones to connect controllers without them being dangerous to kids.
Thought the same thing.

If it's some ultra strong neodymium magnet, it's gonna crush kids' fingers. This is Nintendo. Their legal department is so defensive they mandate that every piece of marketing only use phrasing like "The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom game for the Nintendo Switch family of systems." They're not going to allow this if there's a whiff legal exposure.

If the magnets are weak enough to be safe, there'll be a separate form of attachment, which makes the whole thing pointless. An electromagnet makes no sense unless it drains the battery nonstop. Otherwise people will have to detach the joycon whenever they turn the system off, which is a nightmare for portability.

OP
OP
--R

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
What would manufacturers gain by being able to feel it if they can't see it? Why just not let them touch it at all.
It's not the first time Nintendo has done this and you have multiple people here that say it happens in different industries. It's not crazy at all.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Thought the same thing.

If it's some ultra strong neodymium magnet, it's gonna crush kids' fingers. This is Nintendo. Their legal department is so defensive they mandate that every piece of marketing only use phrasing like "The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom game for the Nintendo Switch family of systems." They're not going to allow this if there's a whiff legal exposure.

If the magnets are weak enough to be safe, there'll be a separate form of attachment, which makes the whole thing pointless. An electromagnet makes no sense unless it drains the battery nonstop. Otherwise people will have to detach the joycon whenever they turn the system off, which is a nightmare for portability.
Can't you make it work so that it only activates when the controllers are directly pushed against the console, so with fingers blocking that it would not work? Doesn't sound too impossible to me.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

It could just be a shell they can use for measurements and start planning out their own stuff.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I hate the Joycons and their trash design, magnets..is an odd choice. Sure they'd be strong but still I can't imagine they won't come off accidentally during 'vigorous' gameplay..and wouldn't they get randomly stuck to anything metal around she in your entertainment center and not exactly be the most practical for young kids?

I'm pressing X to doubt.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Wonder if this means no analog triggers for the Switch 2.
Man, I didn't even think about that. With the Switch 2 potentially being an AI upscale powerhouse and MS looking to port everything and it's brother, I could see Nintendo wanting analogues, but perhaps the forward compatibility would just turn those triggers into two position buttons.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds crazy to me they can get accessory partners on board and they can't even show them it and they have to feel it within a box, what? Madness.
Otherwise, surprised to hear its only slightly bigger than a Switch and "nowhere near" a Deck. I was expecting to be close to Deck size if it's aiming for similar spec. Interested to see/hear what the machine will be capable of.

vlix

May 23, 2018
We'll see. A magnetic connection seems unlikely to me as it would be quite difficult to design in a way that would be both strong enough to work and not also potentially unsafe for users. I could see it as a way of further securing the controllers, in addition to a rail like on the Switch, but not as the main method of attachment.

Magnet + Locking Mechanism

Nintendo SnapLock™