• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I didn't know that existed! Does seem like it'd solve one problem with this design.
I think, with a clever software, it would solve all issues. Make it a super strng magnet (not a safe one if you have your fingers in between!) but only activate it if the software detects direct contact both on the upper end and the lower end of the joycon with the console. You cannot crush your fingers then.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
I think, with a clever software, it would solve all issues. Make it a super strng magnet (not a safe one if you have your fingers in between!) but only activate it if the software detects direct contact both on the upper end and the lower end of the joycon with the console. You cannot crush your fingers then.
Yeah, that is what I thought of. Would solve any problems you could think of pretty much.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
What's the point of sending a touch only version of the console to accessory manufacturers?

Just make a different casing design for that and even then what would be the point?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
What does that even mean?
8grO.gif

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
Joycons not carrying forward is a shame. I think I own 6, and there are definitely people who have a lot more than that.

I bet they still work as controllers at least

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Great that they decided to leave current Joycons behind (if true), they're one of the worst controllers ever and their failure rate is way too high. Hopefully the new ones will be better in pretty much everything.

vlix

May 23, 2018
I know Nintendo can be a bit out there but this sounds like absolute bullshit.
What would manufacturers gain by being able to feel it if they can't see it? Why just not let them touch it at all.

Pehaps this happened during an accessory manufacturer fair, behind closed doors.
To generate excitement and word of mouth.
Marketing gonna marketing..

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I am actually surprised how many doubt the magnet part. To me thats a logical improvment over the slide-in it currently has.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
So if the joycons are magnetic, would that mess with a Hall Effect stick? I recall the reason the ROG Ally didn't put Hall Effect sticks in was because of the magnets in their analog triggers. Makes me think the new Joycons won't have hall effect sticks. I could be way off base, though.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The size seems fine. I like the Steam Deck. Despite its size, it's quite comfortable to hold and use.

I don't buy the magnetic joy-cons, though. There's no way that will be sturdy enough to play games on, unless the magnets are merely supplementing another attachment method that they haven't shown yet.

sha1ashaska22

Sep 4, 2020
Great that they decided to leave current Joycons behind (if true), they're one of the worst controllers ever and their failure rate is way too high. Hopefully the new ones will be better in pretty much everything.

Yeah, they better not mess up as badly with the replacement (my expectations are low though). But I'm glad that Joycons will be banished to the Netherrealm where they belong.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for a Joycon revision since I think they're one of the worst controllers ever but the whole magnetic thing sounds like it could be a nightmare for younger players unless there's a lock feature after being attached.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
What would be the benefit of magnets over rails? Like I dropped my Switch once and fucked one of the joycon rails up for a sec (it popped back in) but I dunno that that's a common problem. Are magnets somehow cheaper? Would they make other peripherals that connect via magnets as a more universal method the gimmick this time around? Honestly even if they did that I'd doubt they get much mileage out of it considering how these gimmicks rarely shake out to their full potential.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
Resetera at it's best judging about things that probably is a common practice I imagine.

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020
Although the Deck is heavier than the Switch, it's comfier for long playtimes because of the full size controls that fit much better in (an adult) hand. But it is significantly less portable than the Switch... It's a design tradeoff no matter what. But I think I prefer the size of my Steam Deck.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Although the Deck is heavier than the Switch, it's comfier for long playtimes because of the full size controls that fit much better in (an adult) hand. But it is significantly less portable than the Switch... It's a design tradeoff no matter what. But I think I prefer the size of my Steam Deck.

Indeed, an adult hand. How many kids own Steam Decks :D

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Between the 12 SMs on the SoC & now the reports of the Switch 2's size, I'm starting to doubt that they're using 8nm. If so, why bother putting 12 SMs on the chip when you wouldn't be able to use all of them?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Accessory manufacturers have been able to touch the console but not see it.
Yeah, that sounds like an extremely Nintendo thing to do.
Along with finding a new way to sell you more Joy-Cons.

More or less bizarre than when they revealed and previewed the 3DS attached to models waists.
In case anyone forgot how utterly bizarre that was:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hci-dDCcHwg

Steam Deck is much bigger than a Switch OLED. Especially thicker.

693976531.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg
It's not that much bigger if you're using after-market Joy-Cons that have full size analog sticks.

Binbok Joy-Cons

dOtVkiI.png
DdBUKcm.jpeg

More importantly, it's a lot more comfortable in the hand.

Last edited:

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I find that it really depends on the person. The weight is a big problem for people with less forearm strength, and the size is too large for people with smaller adult hands. I can use it just fine, but I've had many friends say "fuck this." After using it for 5 minutes.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Just release it already....I feel like I have been hearing all about the Switch 2 for 5 years now. Starting to think it doesn't actually exist.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
I don't believe the magnet attachment at all. That would not offer enough strength to not just come apart during use, especially if using gyros. It would be a huge liability and just bad design for durability, something needs to be there to lock the controller in place.

syphonblue

Apr 29, 2022
Man, I didn't even think about that. With the Switch 2 potentially being an AI upscale powerhouse and MS looking to port everything and it's brother, I could see Nintendo wanting analogues, but perhaps the forward compatibility would just turn those triggers into two position buttons.
I would kill for Nintendo to start using analog triggers again

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
1. Yes, but we have more than enough clues and rumors and copyright patent stuff about it that something to some degree will be real, unless they really scrapped everything about that besides the joycon connection. But that would surprise me. It would be so fitting if it won't be "just" a Switch 2 but rather something with a stupid name and a gimmick.
I know on what I would put my money on if I had to bet.

2. Basically 1.

3. You basically also could with the Wii U but here we are.

This is funny to me. People say this as a defense for decades. And yet, I still have to see a single one that doesn't look like shit. Especially in the handheld sector.
People said this over and over again about the first Steam Deck, then it came out and, surprise surprise, the screen was dogshit. LCD bleeding, colorless dogshit.
I have both Steam Decks still here and my god what a difference.
And like I said, people said the exact same thing as you right now before the Deck came out.
Sure not every OLED is perfect, but oh boy was the Switch OLED an absolute bombshell. Probably still the most high end high tech looking thing Nintendo ever released.

I mean I love my Switch OLED, but I also have a ROG Ally, and that screen is fantastic. I had a LCD Steam Deck as well, and I agree the screen was complete junk, but it is certainly possible to source a very good LCD screen as the Ally proves. To be honest, I was more in line with your thought process up until I bought the Ally. Now I know it's possible to source a good one so that's on Nintendo. I will say, even a mediocre OLED will have perfect blacks and vibrant colors so it's probably easier to get 'right' than a LCD.

Last edited:

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
So if the joycons are magnetic, would that mess with a Hall Effect stick? I recall the reason the ROG Ally didn't put Hall Effect sticks in was because of the magnets in their analog triggers. Makes me think the new Joycons won't have hall effect sticks. I could be way off base, though.
Seems likely, doesn't it?

I'd assume it would likely also rule out one of their more innovative patents in recent years...magnet fluid haptics..

.. where magnetic fluid surrounds the sticks and a small electric charge goes into the fluid...which could change it's viscosity...allowing for force feedback and haptics in the stick itself, so in a game like Splatoon the stick would be harder to move when walking through an opponents ink, and you'd feel push and pull to the stick when trying to catch ghosts in Luigi's Mansion etc. I can't see that working if the joy-cons are magnetic.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017

nded

Nov 14, 2017
If we're imagining kids full on torquing the thing as they play then I would think the magnets would do less damage as it would just come loose and snap back instead of bending or breaking like the old rail system.

Re-Tails

Aug 16, 2020
ooh magnets, that sounds exactly like Nintendo. High probability they'll have their own 'click' sound as well.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
dont assume every adult has big hands
More importantly, it's a lot more comfortable in the hand.
not really
also it is much heavier

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
The size seems fine. I like the Steam Deck. Despite its size, it's quite comfortable to hold and use.

I don't buy the magnetic joy-cons, though. There's no way that will be sturdy enough to play games on, unless the magnets are merely supplementing another attachment method that they haven't shown yet.
The problem I have with the Steam Deck is that I find it way too heavy. I especially can't play this thing while laying on the couch, my arms (and mostly wrists) hurt real soon. I never had this problem with the switch (or prior handleds I owned)

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
Put me in the "this rumour is too weird and specific to NOT be true" camp. Not that I was expecting them for the new joycons anyway, but I wonder how magnetic rails would affect the possibility of adding hall-effect joysticks either native or aftermarket.