• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Going by various reports, the delay was relatively last-minute. Some heard that it was so Nintendo could buy more time to work on first-party software, others heard it was to avoid hardware supply issues. I'm thinking it's a bit of both.

No source would know anything regarding Nintendo's first-party software. They're referring to third parties

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I can't imagine a reason they'd let you touch it but not see it?

That would essentially mean there is something new, surprising and very visible on the console that they don't want known or leaked yet, but that it can't be felt so they're ok with people gripping the controls and seeing how everything else is.

But that doesn't make much sense, I can't come up with a single idea of new tech that would fit that.

Extra Sauce

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"we can confirm is that the current Pro Controller will be forwards compatible with Switch 2"

cover3.jpg

Condwiramurs

Nov 10, 2020
dont assume every adult has big hands

not really
also it is much heavier
i have tiny hands and find the switch joycons extremely uncomfortable, to the point where I get hand cramps after 20minutes playing monster hunter rise
they are thin and flat/angular at the sides with tiny face buttons 🤷‍♂️

the deck feels even more comfortable than my xbox controller

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure out what feature could be kept secret while allowing touch, yet would be given away if you could see the thing. I feel like touching it gives a pretty good mental image. What is it, like a 3D screen again or something?

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that sounds like an extremely Nintendo thing to do.
Along with finding a new way to sell you more Joy-Cons.

In case anyone forgot how utterly bizarre that was:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hci-dDCcHwg

It's not that much bigger if you're using after-market Joy-Cons that have full size analog sticks.

Binbok Joy-Cons

dOtVkiI.png
DdBUKcm.jpeg

More importantly, it's a lot more comfortable in the hand.

I guess I'm one of those oddities that found the Steam Deck to be very uncomfortable.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022

That would essentially mean there is something new, surprising and very visible on the console that they don't want known or leaked yet, but that it can't be felt so they're ok with people gripping the controls and seeing how everything else is.

But that doesn't make much sense, I can't come up with a single idea of new tech that would fit that.
Analog triggers.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
That "Switch Attach" or "Nintendo Attach" name might actually be real. It could be a console where you can attach a number of peripherals through magnets: joy-cons, a second screen, another console console for tabletop multiplayer, a camera and so on.

This is such a bad name when "Switch Up" is right there waiting to be used by a concept like this.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

Return of the Orange Port.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

Based on the actual podcast transcript shared earlier in the thread, it's just that Nintendo doesn't want to give a competitive advantage to any manufacturer. They probably have lots of demos like that over months to different manufacturers, but CAD files will eventually be released at the same time for everyone.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
would be cool if they did a Switch 2 Pro Controller. I like the current Pro Controller but I'd be interested to see if Nintendo could make a better one.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Does magnetic imply that the Joycons will still be operating wirelessly when attached maybe? Not sure what type of contact it'd use otherwise?

Just wondering if that spells the end of cheaper third party joycons that don't have the wireless.

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
If they're right about the Switch Pro controller being forward compatible that means once again, no analog triggers.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Can we stop making these bigger??? It's a handheld. I got a steam deck recently and it's massive. I miss the days when handhelds weren't iPad Pros

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hope the engineering on the magnetic connection is really well thought out. The eventual Joycon wobble in portable mode really bugs me with the original Switch and I sorta feel like magnets risk worsening the issue if it's not done well.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
It's not that much bigger if you're using after-market Joy-Cons that have full size analog sticks.
It's gigantic in comparison. I'm not even saying that's good or bad. But the Steam Deck is firmly in my category of _much bigger_ and your pictures show the same thing to me. Almost nobody uses after market joy sticks. I'm fact I've only ever seen this here on resetera never irl

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Sure hope those magnets keeping the joycons on are are strong, otherwise I could see that being a big pain butt with the controllers constantly popping off.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Cool. Magnets doesn't sound like it'll provide a solid enough connection, but I'm slapping a satisfye grip on it asap

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like magnetic might mean there's still something to slide into, not just stick em on the side. But the locking mechanism won't have moving parts idk.