• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't know. I hope it's 4nm...
People were speculating for the longest time that if it was 8nm it would have to be pretty damn close to the Steam Deck in size in order to disperse the excess heat due to how power hungry the mode is which is why I said that.

That's why I was happy to hear it isn't close to the Deck's dimensions. The 4, it means hope.

Nintendo plssss!

Oct 28, 2017

ce011a3c-e3d4-43b1-847d-6778ab03f2e3_text.gif

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

evilromero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mag joycons would be an improvement since I hate the rail things. I never use the system in handheld so when I need those shitty little joycons for multiplayer I have to reach into my TV cabinet and awkwardly slide the things out while pressing a whittle button.

gblues

Oct 25, 2017
Tigard, OR
Magnets seems like an awful design. Either they're too weak and the joycons will just come off during gameplay, or they're too strong and will be an accessibility nightmare for people with low grip strength.

Oct 25, 2017
While the current joycons are in need of a redesign, magnets alone wouldn't be very secure. That's asking for broken consoles and/or pinched fingers. If that turns out to be true, I imagine there is still more to the story.

Like, perhaps they could still have a sort of rail, but now they're held into position by strong magnets instead of a physical tab that requires manual activation to remove them (which were always a bit fiddly), just a smooth slide in. I know the article says "instead of rails" but it's easy for things to get lost in the game of telephone, especially when nobody was even allowed to look inside the box.

Whatever it is, there's gotta be some extra wrinkle to this attachment method (if true).

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I never bought a Pro Controller and at this point I was waiting to see if it might carry over to Switch 2. Interesting that might be the case.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Magnets seems like an awful design. Either they're too weak and the joycons will just come off during gameplay, or they're too strong and will be an accessibility nightmare for people with low grip strength.
Can't you make a magnet that deactivates or activates by pressing a button, depending on whether the electric current passes?

Like, you press a button and it comes off, you press it again and it sticks.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
The magnetic rails are interesting... I guess my only question would be if they still have to 'hold up' the main console if you're playing in mobile mode. That is, are the magnets strong enough that just holding one of the controllers sufficient to keep the rest of the console up? Could certainly be magnetic but still have some sort of locking mechanism in place to keep the link strong.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Stole from this person

www.resetera.com

New Nintendo Hardware Speculation & Rumors |OT| Primed & Ready for the Next Generation of the Nintendo Switch Rumor - Nintendo - OT

Tweet just appeared randomly on my TL and I don’t know them but random chip leakers seem to appear everywhere these days, but no clue if they have any legitimate history. https://x.com/orexda/status/1783769461457404376?s=61&t=L0bPXDdqdqQM-JyYURxVeQ They do say as early as H2 this year, which...

He posted on discord and I stole from him
You say stole from someone but you're linking to another thread with the same tweet??

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stole from this person

www.resetera.com

New Nintendo Hardware Speculation & Rumors |OT| Primed & Ready for the Next Generation of the Nintendo Switch Rumor - Nintendo - OT

Tweet just appeared randomly on my TL and I don’t know them but random chip leakers seem to appear everywhere these days, but no clue if they have any legitimate history. https://x.com/orexda/status/1783769461457404376?s=61&t=L0bPXDdqdqQM-JyYURxVeQ They do say as early as H2 this year, which...

He posted on discord and I stole from him
you don't have to post every random tweet. Even modiz said that they don't know who this person is.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Interesting...I guess that user on fami is correct.

www.businesskorea.co.kr

New Nintendo Device after Eight Years: Mainly Built with Samsung Components

The upcoming Nintendo Switch 2, the first new gaming device from Japan’s Nintendo in eight years, is expected to incorporate a significant amount of technology
This seems to be sourced from or by the same Twitter user I and Angie posted, as it has the same details.

Edit: actually this article predates both with the same information:
www.mk.co.kr

It is expected that Samsung Electronics' technology will be installed in Nintendo Switch 2, a new ga.. - MK

It is expected that Samsung Electronics' technology will be installed in Nintendo Switch 2, a new gaming device introduced by Nintendo of Japan for the first time in eight years. As Samsung's products..

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Interesting...I guess that user on fami is correct.

www.businesskorea.co.kr

New Nintendo Device after Eight Years: Mainly Built with Samsung Components

The upcoming Nintendo Switch 2, the first new gaming device from Japan’s Nintendo in eight years, is expected to incorporate a significant amount of technology
Nintendo Switch 2 is expected to launch as early as the second half of this year.

It is likely that the Tegra T239 chip from Nvidia, manufactured using Samsung's 7LPH process, will be used. High-value-added memory will also be manufactured by Samsung Electronics, with the fifth-generation V-NAND expected to be incorporated into game cartridges and internal memory.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I would bet it's real because the black box thing is too insane and too Nintendo to make up

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
This seems to be sourced from or by the same Twitter user I and Angie posted, as it has the same details.

Edit: actually this article predates both with the same information:
www.mk.co.kr

It is expected that Samsung Electronics' technology will be installed in Nintendo Switch 2, a new ga.. - MK

It is expected that Samsung Electronics' technology will be installed in Nintendo Switch 2, a new gaming device introduced by Nintendo of Japan for the first time in eight years. As Samsung's products..
So this may actually be legit.

The Korean source doesn't mention anything about OLED screens btw, only that Samsung won the contract

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
So this may actually be legit.

The Korean source doesn't mention anything about OLED screens btw, only that Samsung won the contract
The original article in Korean does bring more information regarding display:
translated via DeepL said:
A key component, the display, also reportedly went to Samsung over China. Nintendo had previously been using Taiwan's Innolux LCDs. However, the company began using Samsung Display's panels when it released the Nintendo Switch1 OLED model in 2021.

For this next generation OLED model, Nintendo reportedly considered panels from China's BOE, but ultimately decided to use Samsung Display's panels. Although BOE's panel price was lower than Samsung's, the company reportedly considered patent risks. However, if Nintendo decides to launch only LCD models rather than OLED models first due to price, it is likely to use Chinese panels.
m.mk.co.kr

“일본 국민 게임기, 이재용이 접수”…8년 만의 닌텐도 신작은 ‘메이드 바이 삼성’ - 매일경제

핵심 두뇌인 칩셋 제조하고 5세대 V낸드 메모리 탑재 OLED 패널도 삼성이 낙점 첫해에만 1천만대 판매 전망 “갤럭시 신작 출시 효과 맞먹어”

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The original article in Korean does bring more information regarding display:

m.mk.co.kr

“일본 국민 게임기, 이재용이 접수”…8년 만의 닌텐도 신작은 ‘메이드 바이 삼성’ - 매일경제

핵심 두뇌인 칩셋 제조하고 5세대 V낸드 메모리 탑재 OLED 패널도 삼성이 낙점 첫해에만 1천만대 판매 전망 “갤럭시 신작 출시 효과 맞먹어”
Doesn't that go against the reports of Nintendo going with LCD for the Switch 2 to cut costs?