• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Launch game
7GhFc5B.png

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
Probably with the press of a button, not that difficult.

Maybe.

But I still refuse to believe that they want to cheap out on the screen and use LCD again but then want to use super strong super expensive magnets to solve a "problem" that the Switch 1 Joycons never had.

You know what, scratch that, that is so dumb, it has Nintendo written all over it. They would absolutely do this.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Maybe.

But I still refuse to believe that they want to cheap out on the screen and use LCD again but then want to use super strong super expensive magnets to solve a "problem" that the Switch 1 Joycons never had.

You know what, scratch that, that is so dumb, it has Nintendo written all over it. They would absolutely do this.
I was told Kit & Krysta said that Nintendo thought of magnets with Switch 1 aswell, but ditched it. So it's apparently not that far fetched.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I hope the joycons sticks are fixed for good. I'm glad pro controllers will be compatible, curious to hear about the Switch 2 Pro controller

Oct 27, 2017
I do love support for pro controller but hope for improved haptics and adaptive triggers in first party Nintendo games. If it's not meant to be that's fine tho. As I love the Pro controller so I am not mad to keep using it

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
For me? Yeah, I never use it. I'd love to use motion controls in a game like Splatoon but the gyro on the pro controller will always feel off for me, so I just don't use it. It's a bummer because I love the Wiimote pointer (and VR aiming, which feels like an evolution of the Wiimote).

But I'm sure many disagree since they play Splatoon and other games just fine.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There is no way it is simply only a magnetic connector. There has to be some sort of click locking mechanism to anchor it in place because a magnet alone would give way to flexing and normal use unless the switch has a thickness that would keep that from happening. Otherwise the magnet would have to be fairly strong and could create a pinch point for children getting their fingers pinched connecting the joycons.

If this is actually true and not fake news, the magnets are likely fairly weak to simply hold it in place and charge through the magnet, combined with another locking mechanism to keep it in place.

Nintendo is not going to create a piece of tech where a large part of their target audience might get hurt using their device.

And it could also just be a beta kit with the form factor and controller layout so people could give them feedback on ergonomics and use a simple magnet because nobody would be able to easily use a joycon track connector just by feel anyway.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I see a lot of people questioning the magnet thing, don't numerous devices already use this idea now?

I have this telescopic controller for phones with little attachments for varying phone sizes that magnetically clipped on and they're a pain to remove with force. If the nujoycons are half as resistant then I'm good.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
people appalled by the magnet stuff, it's not like the mechanism now holds the joycon well. mine was falling off a few months in
i really hope nintendo does better in that department, my launch unit broke apart little by little to the point it doesn't even works as a portable anymore, like, the main gimmick of the damn thing
it's a shame cause it's probably my favorite console ever

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Did you never work with strong magnets in school? They can be sheer impossible to detach from another with just manpower.
Those magnets also take fingers off when they attach to things. Do you think Nintendo, the company that coated Switch carts in a bitterant to keep kids from eating them, are okay shipping a system with neodymium magnets holding shit together? This info is fake as hell.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
If the info's real.

Going to guess its some sort of magnet+lock mechanic for the updated joycons. Not just the system controls free-floating on magnets alone off the side of the tablet.

So not the old rail joycons that slide into place with rails and need to press a button to unlock it mechanically, it would instead use the magnets to "lock" the Joycons into place after sliding/pressing it down the side of the system which would have designs/features that would allow it to reliably stay together (maybe like how the Alienware UFO concept device controls were designed).

If those magnets are Magsafe-like in strength/quality I don't see that big an issue. Just hope Nintendo uses ones that don't lose its strength for a while.

Last edited:

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
Those magnets also take fingers off when they attach to things. Do you think Nintendo, the company that coated Switch carts in a bitterant to keep kids from eating them, are okay shipping a system with neodymium magnets holding shit together? This info is fake as hell.
You people lack a bit of imagination :P that's not a problem you can't solve with some kind of mechanism that only allows to attach when Joy-con and console are directly aligned and connected.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure specifically, I feel some mobile devices and such have tried this trick before, but I never buy that kind of stuff so it's something I've only read in passing. I'm almost certain Nintendo is not the first to mess with this though, but maybe others can find more concrete info.

None of those devices are designed to allow kids to use it without being removed, especially a handheld gaming device. Just think about how you hold a switch during gaming sessions (with one hand even during quick breaks) and tell me what kind of magnet would allow that to work and not be hugely expensive or downright dangerous

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I can see there being a latching mechanism on the console/controllers to help it stay attached. Maybe something that slides over one or the other for support.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
You people lack a bit of imagination :P that's not a problem you can't solve with some kind of mechanism that only allows to attach when Joy-con and console are directly aligned and connected.
The problem with magnets is that they're always on, unless they're electromagnets. If they work something out with electromagnets I'll eat my hat.

Lightsong

Nov 11, 2022
The problem with magnets is that they're always on, unless they're electromagnets. If they work something out with electromagnets I'll eat my hat.
Sometimes Nintendo is surprisingly cutting edge, always with stuff gamers don't really care about, lol. So I would not be surprised if they had some kind of eleborate system for it.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
None of those devices are designed to allow kids to use it without being removed, especially a handheld gaming device. Just think about how you hold a switch during gaming sessions (with one hand even during quick breaks) and tell me what kind of magnet would allow that to work and not be hugely expensive or downright dangerous

It's hard to say without seeing the idea, some kind of inner rail that goes into the system and is withheld in part with magnets is an example off hand I could imagine works. It might not be perfect, but the reality is the current ones are far from perfect and are broken all the time by children as is. If you've ever had the pleasure of interacting with a current Switch that was owned by a somewhat reckless child, it likely isn't in the condition one you or I own. Broken rails, rails that can't hold a Joy-Con anymore, etc, are quite common.

Switch is amazing, but durability is not the first thing to come to mind with the Joycons for many reasons. The Pro controller on the other hand is basically a weapon in build.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Putting your ear buds on their charging case.

The magnets are probably there to make the cons align properly with the tablet. There will be a mechanism probably.

In any case it's naive to think of issues that Nintendo didn't. They have been developing that device for years.
* stares in joy-con *
* stares in dock that didn't come with ethernet cable *
You're saying this about a device you haven't seen that'll likely be revised twice.
That's not naive, that's foresight.

NukeRunner

Feb 8, 2024
* stares in joy-con *
* stares in dock that didn't come with ethernet cable *
You're saying this about a device you haven't seen that'll likely be revised twice.
That's not naive, that's foresight.

Pretty sure in the case of the ethernet port, Nintendo very much thought about it, and opted not to pay anything to include it initially. Adding one to the OLED basically gave them a pitiful bullet point to help push a few people over to buy another Switch, but to my understanding the ethernet port was never standardized to the other docks. They basically created a 'Switch Premium' there.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I posted a Switch like device that uses magnets on the previous page. I don't think it's something that crazy to imagine really.

ternarybanana

Apr 5, 2024
So I'm guessing hall effect anything are out of the question?

Nintendo: You're going to take your stick drift and you're going to like it.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Magnets are exactly what I wanted and have been saying since the railing system has been iffy.

I'm sure it'll slot in yet somewhat, but be secured by magnets and connect by some sort of NFC instead of pins and a lever+button.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nintendo must be locking this system down but….then….

Hackers will use some magnet polarity to exploit some kernel to gain access to the thingamajig file system and Nintendo is gonna flip.