• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/02/inside-elizabeth-holmess-final-months-at-theranos

For Holmes, the dog represented the journey that lay ahead for Theranos. As she explained to colleagues at the company's headquarters, in Palo Alto, he was named after the world-famous sled dog who, in 1925, led a team of huskies on a dangerous, 600-mile trek from Nenana, Alaska, to remote Nome, Alaska, bearing an antitoxin that was used to fight a diphtheria outbreak. There is even a statue of Balto in New York's Central Park, Holmes told one former employee. The metaphorical connection was obvious. In Holmes's telling, Balto's perseverance mirrored her own. His voyage with the life-changing drug was not so different from her ambition.

Immediately after returning to California, Holmes decided that Balto would hardly leave her side on the quest to save Theranos. Each day, Holmes would wake up with Balto at the nearly empty Los Altos mansion that she was renting about six miles from her company's headquarters. (Theranos covered the house's rent.) Soon after, one of her two drivers, sometimes her two security personnel, and even sometimes one of her two assistants, would pick them up, and set off for work. And for the rest of the day, Balto would stroll through the labs with his owner. Holmes brushed it off when the scientists protested that the dog hair could contaminate samples. But there was another problem with Balto, too. He wasn't potty-trained. Accustomed to the undomesticated life, Balto frequently urinated and defecated at will throughout Theranos headquarters. While Holmes held board meetings, Balto could be found in the corner of the room relieving himself while a frenzied assistant was left to clean up the mess.

A lot of the article is a broad overview of Theranos and Holmes but there's some more good nuggets in there.

TemplaerDude

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime I think I've read every rinkydink, loony load of bullshit this scam artist did I'm convinced I've read it all. Dog must have been allergic to lies.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have any interest in theranos and Elizabeth Holmes, you should start listening to "The Dropout" podcast. She is batshit crazy

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Well, if you're going to prison might as well make someone clean up after your puppy for a while, I guess.

OP
OP

Deleted member 15440

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
HBO has one coming out next month.
she wants to make one from her perspective too lol

Holmes, for her part, still doesn't seem to think the work of Theranos is finished. Like her dog's famed namesake, she still wants people to know that Theranos was going to save the world. But in order to do so, she needs to share her side of the story. She has recently held more meetings with filmmakers to try to collaborate on a documentary about her "real" story. And Holmes desperately wants to write a book. In Holmes's eyes, according to former employees, this is only the beginning of yet another redemption story—possibly one that is too good to be true. As for Balto, Holmes still tells people he's a wolf.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The whole thing is a scam, why and how is it still going?
Around this same time, Holmes says that she discovered that Balto—like most huskies—had a tiny trace of wolf origin. Henceforth, she decided that Balto wasn't really a dog, but rather a wolf. In meetings, at cafés, whenever anyone stopped to pet the pup and ask his breed, Holmes soberly replied, "He's a wolf."
By late 2017, however, Holmes had begun to slightly rein in the spending. She agreed to give up her private-jet travel (not a good look) and instead downgraded to first class on commercial airlines. But given that she was flying all over the world trying to obtain more funding for Theranos, she was spending tens of thousands of dollars a month on travel. Theranos was also still paying for her mansion in Los Altos, and her team of personal assistants and drivers, who would become regular dog walkers for Balto.
When I asked the former executive close to Holmes if she has come to regret what happened, the response surprised me. "Elizabeth sees herself as the victim," this person said. "She blames John Carreyrou, she blames David Boies, and she blames Heather King." Boies, the star lawyer, had sat on Theranos's board, and represented the company during the Carreyrou crisis. King, Theranos's general counsel for 15 months, overlapped with this period. (King now works at Boies's firm.) Holmes, according to the former employees, blames the lawyers for giving her bad advice, and their inability to contain the bad press stemming from Carreyrou's reporting. According to this person, Holmes thinks that she could have somehow convinced a Pulitzer Prize–winning reporter into believing that Theranos was going to change the world despite the fact that its core technology didn't work. "She often confuses the message for the messenger," the former employee told me.
Was she just a young person who got in over her head? Or, more dramatically, is something more serious afoot. Is she a sociopath? "I'll leave it to the psychologists to decide whether Holmes fits the clinical profile," he writes, "but there's no question that her moral compass was badly askew." Former employees raise this question with frequency. One pointed to a formative experience: Holmes's father, Christian, was an executive at Enron, and the family's finances were affected by its collapse. Did Holmes, scarred by this experience, vow to revive the family's fortunes at all cost? Was she a hustler or a con artist, or merely a staggering Mr. Ripley? "One of Elizabeth's superpowers is she never looks back," this person said.
She's like a young WASPy Trump.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Honestly when we realized that the lady running a health startup was patterning her mannerisms after a dude who died from a treatable pancreatic cancer we should have ended it all right then and there

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
" As for Balto, Holmes still tells people he's a wolf. "

Gonna need to see a pic of this dog...I mean wolf asap.

She's possibly even more of a liar than Donald Trump.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Balto kind of a fraud too? Or at least, heavily built up relative to what he actually did?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since that article criminally gave us no pictures of Balto, I decided to pull up random husky pup pics.

Siberian_Husky_SERP.jpg

"He's a wolf"

171-How-to-Potty-Train-a-Husky-Puppy.jpg

"Smol wolfy boi here"

663725-bigthumbnail.jpg

"Awoooooooooo"

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It's staggering that she believed she could do the things she wanted with such lax scientific principles.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am the Wolf, and you call me insane. You are privy to a great becoming, but you recognize nothing. You are an ant in the afterbirth. It is your nature to do one thing correctly: before me, you rightly tremble. But fear is not what you owe me, Mr. Carreyrou . You owe me awe.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Man, she must have had S tier charisma to pull off what she did.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
The whole thing is a scam, why and how is it still going?

She's like a young WASPy Trump.

I remember reading a few in-depth articles about Holmes and Theranos back in late 2016, and the fraud had basically all been laid out that that point. My understanding is that she was allowed to continue working at Theranos at that point just to close up operations, yet in the article she was still going strong and acting the fool one year later- and it took another year to shut the whole mess down. Not sure how the authorities can justify this laxity (probably because white and white-collar).

For me, she's incredibly similar to Billy McFarland (Fyre Festival creator). He just exposed himself with an incredibly stupid scheme, where she was able to maintain an air of legitimacy longer.

Thank you! I'm really eager to get more info on how she was able to maintain this con for as long as she did.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Theranos sound like someone that would come to earth to conquer it

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
LoL her fake voice is so godamned awful... like what a dumb person thinks a lower voice in a girl would sound like. Sounds super forced. I never would have been able to be in a meeting with her and not side eyeing the rest of the room the whole time "..... are we all fuckin hearing this?"

Also this lady is fuckin loony tunes. hope her strong voice helps her run the cell block.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Theranos sound like someone that would come to earth to conquer it
Funny bc apparently one of the first scientists to start looking into her company was a professor who was greek. He saw the name and thought it was odd bc it reminded him of Thanatos (Death) and Tyrannos (Tyrant). He wondered why a company would want to associate itself with such ominous words.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that adopted Siberian Huskies, I do not like when people call them wolves. It creates a scary image and makes people trust them less. I've heard too many stories of them getting killed by gun owners because people thought they were a threat.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So while youre in a meeting at your shitty company, the company mascot is literally taking a shit in the corner of the boardroom.

nice.