• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The first movie was great and did a fantastic job at establishing Shazam (in my opinion) but it's clear as day that Shazam isn't a franchise worthy character, which is perfectly fine! He could be a fantastic supporting character with standout moments in other movies but going forward, we don't need more Shazam movies
Yeah I liked the first film well enough but in reality where actors age it should have just ended there really.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The first movie was great and did a fantastic job at establishing Shazam (in my opinion) but it's clear as day that Shazam isn't a franchise worthy character, which is perfectly fine! He could be a fantastic supporting character with standout moments in other movies but going forward, we don't need more Shazam movies

When you look at the reception to Shazam in totality both critically and box office wise it's the perfect example of a super hero movie that didn't need more. You established him, got a minor success, now go put him in other DCEU stuff.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's sad how far this character has fallen. Shazam is a great concept, but this new film was sent out to die. Hopefully they can try again (but not for a long time).

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Wait wtf

They kept the kids as secondaries this time around?? The good things the first film had is the Stranger Things / Goonies similarities it found in its family side of things, and it's pretty much all gone???
Yeah the kid dynamic was the only reason I saw the first one. I like watching movies and tv shows like that. Remove it and might as well be something else entirely.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I liked the first film well enough but in reality where actors age it should have just ended there really.

Yeah, realistically I think Shazam probably works best either as a one-off character for live action film or as a character rooted in an animation series, where showrunners can hire professional voice actors to voice the kids and not have to worry about rapidly recasting the Shazam family every few years.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Wait wtf

They kept the kids as secondaries this time around?? The good things the first film had is the Stranger Things / Goonies similarities it found in its family side of things, and it's pretty much all gone???

No, that's the funny part, all the other kids are there, Freddy and Mary play big parts too. But Billy remains transformed into Shazam acting like a clown for most of the movie while what little Billy there is is shown as more calm, mature and worried about losing his newfound family after turning 18.

It doesn't work well at all

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Soon it's Kraven Time.

Yeah, you need the kid dynamic to get the movies to work and it doesn't apply as much here, add in Levi and Angel being 2 different characters and it's wonky.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Shazam is lucky The New Mutants exists. If not for The New Bomba, Shazam, if it grosses around 150m, would be the lowest grossing Marvel/DC super hero live action film since Jonah Hex.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
The first film, and the first Wonder Woman film were both go to examples of how WB *can* make good DC movies, and both of their sequels were disasters.

What the hell happened.

Bacalao

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...this doesn't come as a surprise after the terrible trailers. Then you had the studio head basically saying that this movie doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, director saying that he knew it was going to bomb, actors saying that they only appeared in it for a paycheck, other actors telling journalists to not ask them about the story, and it just seems like absolutely no one involved in this movie gives a single solitary fuck about it so why should I? It's a completely pointless sequel.

KezayJS1

Apr 25, 2021
Shazam to me was like Guardians of the Galaxy. Until the DCEU and MCU respectively I knew nothing of either franchise. I absolutely love Guardians and Shazam was great. I want to see the sequel but it's a shame that it's not working out at the box office.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017

WB PR

575.jpg

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
If only The Rock's ego hadn't got the best of him, they could have had a fun movie that probably would have made more than this and Black Adam combined.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it a bit more than the first one (which I liked a lot). But I knew this was going to flop long ago.

At least I got two rewatchable Captain Marvel Shazam movies out of it.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
it is clearly about how this movie was sent to die both in the sense that the universe is being rebooted, it is kinda of a sequel to the bad Black Adam and how the actor fucked up the hype to the movie by being an asshole

The idea the average viewer sees any real connection between this and Black Adam seems like a massive stretch.

It's why I don't think a Shazam vs. Black Adam movie is a guaranteed smash hit. That pairing means nothing to most people.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
These mid-tier characters like Shazam or Ant-Man didn't need sequels in my opinion. First film to establish the character, next film have them join the A-listers like Supes, Aquaman, WW, Captain America, Spidey, etc for an ensemble film. That's how they did it with Doctor Strange, and his sequel almost took in a billion.

southwest

Sep 15, 2022
The idea the average viewer sees any real connection between this and Black Adam seems like a massive stretch.

It's why I don't think a Shazam vs. Black Adam movie is a guaranteed smash hit. That pairing means nothing to most people.
Yeah the vast majority probably have no idea about Shazam and Black Adam other than their costumes look slightly similar

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
As someone largely unfamiliar with comics, a person who transforms into a super hero by saying Shazam sounds like the dorkiest premise ever.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
The idea would've been to have Shazam 2 introduce Black Adam and how he fits within the lore. Add some Mister Mind fuckery and you'd have a pretty solid sequel.

But yeah, Rock's ego got in the way and he had to have his own origin movie. Would it have made more than what we got? Idk, but I'm much more motivated to go watch that confrontation over whatever it is we got now (nothing against Mirren or Liu)

Oct 27, 2017
It was clear interest just wasn't there for this film from the beginning. I don't think superhero fatigue is here just yet, but we're not at the peak anymore. Not sure the market is there yet for any obscure character to get their own film, let alone a sequel.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I'm just so happy I don't have to see the dog shit trailers for this movie anymore. Worst cape shit marketing in recent memory.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big DC fan and struggle to think of heroes I care less than Shazam

I actually do like the character, even from back when he was called Captain Marvel, but the character Zack Levi is playing does not resemble the comic character in any way whatsoever. In terms of adapting Shazam, both films are huge swings and misses. They do nothing to make you care about the version of Shazam in the films, and because they reinvented him so thoroughly they have to do that for both fans and people who have never heard of him before. Both films more or less fail to do that.

The trailers for this one being absolutely awful and running incessantly for months in front of every major release probably didn't do it any favors, either.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the vast majority probably have no idea about Shazam and Black Adam other than their costumes look slightly similar

The Rock as a bad guy bouncing off Shazam may have at least led to a more focused marketing campaign and may have generated some interest

As it stands the Shazam sequel is left trying to sell itself with completely original villains with no real discernible hook

The Rock showing up as Black Adam, playing the role seriously and menacingly to contrast against Shazam is at least a better set up.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The idea would've been to have Shazam 2 introduce Black Adam and how he fits within the lore. Add some Mister Mind fuckery and you'd have a pretty solid sequel.

But yeah, Rock's ego got in the way and he had to have his own origin movie. Would it have made more than what we got? Idk, but I'm much more motivated to go watch that confrontation over whatever it is we got now (nothing against Mirren or Liu)

The thing is I don't think the Rock was wrong that in a world where Black Adam was a success that made like 700m worldwide, the Black Adam vs. Superman sequel would have been way bigger than Black Adam vs. Shazam.

The thing is Black Adam didn't come close to making what it needed because of a bloated budget and The Rock not being the megastar he thinks he is.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The trailer for this movie was so fucking obnoxious with a god awful song that it actively pushed me away. I hated the very idea of this movie after that.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
All these mid tier characters in mid movies lol. I hope this is the end of the over saturation. The amount of spinoffs and sequels are out of control in Disney land.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
It probably wouldn't have done great either way, but Gunn announcing the rebooted DCU in January really killed whatever hype this movie had left.

Oct 26, 2017
Two bad, mid-tier comic book movies bombing does not a fatigue make.

Now if GOTG3 and Spider-Verse 2 underperform (knock on word), then we'll start talking.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Bob Iger hit the nail on the head when he said not every character needs two or 3 movies. Just stop and move on. This movie should have never been greenlit.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shame, as it was a pretty fun movie. Really got me at some points with the emotional hits, but I enjoyed it a lot.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
David F. Samberg Twitter account is at least fun to read. He's sharing some of the behind the scenes stuff filming and whatnot.