Oct 26, 2017
Via Variety:
After years of exploiting his position of power at Pixar and Disney, pressure from the Me Too movement recently ousted John Lasseterfrom his post as chief creative officer. But Pixar has yet to address how John's sexist attitudes permeated its culture for decades, giving men license to mistreat women and sideline their careers.

I was a graphic designer at Pixar during the second half of my 20s. I know people are saying that the climate there wasn't "that bad." I'm here to tell you that it was, and more than likely still is.

At Pixar, my female-ness was an undeniable impediment to my value, professional mobility, and sense of security within the company. The stress of working amidst such a blatantly sexist atmosphere took its toll, and was a major factor in forcing me out of the industry.

When I started at Pixar as an intern, I thought I'd landed my dream job. But my excitement was quickly tempered by a flood of warnings about Lasseter's touchy-feely, boundary-crossing tendencies with female employees. It was devastating to learn, right from the start, that women were open targets for disrespect and harassment –– even at a world-renowned workplace in the most liberal-leaning city in the country. I was likewise told to steer clear of a particularly chauvinistic male lead in my department. Much like John, this man's female targets had been reporting his vulgar, unprofessional behaviors for years, but his position and demeanor remained much the same.

I had my first uncomfortable encounter with this department head in a company kitchen, just two weeks into my internship. He cornered me with sexual comments while openly leering at my body. Over the next five years, I white-knuckled my way through many unwelcome, objectifying interactions with him, with Lasseter, and with other men; was physically groped by another male coworker; and was sidelined from projects by the unofficial boys' club casting system.

Just after starting on "Cars 2," I was told by a superior that I would be uninvited from all our weekly art department meetings because Lasseter "has a hard time controlling himself" around young women. I was crushed to have my participation in the filmmaking process –– and subsequently my career trajectory –– thwarted simply because I was female. It was clear that the institution was working hard to protect him, at the expense of women like me.

But Lasseter didn't need an intimate setting to make female employees uncomfortable. He would give me, and countless other women, lecherous up-and-down looks (or unwanted hugs and touches) almost every time we crossed his path on campus. These tactless encounters made it clear that we were sex objects to him. The entire Pixar workforce witnessed the sleazy spin that John brought to Pixar's Halloween bash. If he found a woman attractive when she got on stage, he'd ask her to spin around while he made suggestive comments, turning the event into yet another lewd spectacle.

Lasseter's open sexism set the tone from the top, emboldening others to act like frat boys in just about any campus setting. I'll never forget the day a director compared his latest film to "a big-titted blond who was difficult to nail down" in front of the whole company, a joke that received gasps of disapproval.
Much more at the link. Please read the whole thing. I can totally see and agree with why Pixar/Disney aren't bringing back Lasseter. I hope this means some actual change in the culture over there but we'll see.

Also this was adapted from a longer post the author made on Medium.

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Just after starting on "Cars 2," I was told by a superior that I would be uninvited from all our weekly art department meetings because Lasseter "has a hard time controlling himself" around young women.

Disgusting. Disney needs to speak up about this.

Oct 27, 2017
How the fuck did they calculate that John's value to the company was worth the reputation damage and opening themselves up to lawsuits?

This is what happens when executives aren't seen as replaceable.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Fuck, man, what a rough read. For over a decade I had the false image of Lasseter being a real creative individual and inspiring leader in my head, and now I know it was all a lie.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
This is why the female empowerment message in I2 fell flat for me. Putting his name at the end of that movie really muddles the message

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna be a long time before Pixar's image is repaired. I used to really look up to this company and its leadership and I'm disgusted to learn that they were mostly pieces of shits.

This is why the female empowerment message in I2 fell flat for me. Putting his name at the end of that movie really muddles the message

Also the gratuitous ass shots of Elastigirl didn't help.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
That's terribly depressing. I can't imagine what it must feel like to get your dream career in such a seemingly positive, artistic field that brings so many people joy only to discover the people behind it all are largely trash. I had a feeling there would more awful people at Pixar than just Lassetter, there's no way someone brazenly gets away with the stuff he did for so long without others actively enabling and/or participating in the same behavior in some way. I wonder who these other people are who she is referring to in the article (such as the "department head" who cornered her and the guy who made the disgusting blonde/tit joke/comparison)? These people need to be named.

Last edited:

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the audiobook for Creativity, Inc. and since then I've seen nothing but terrible, disgusting info coming out about the Pixar camp. What a disappointment.

I watched a mini doc on Lasseter and this bit already seemed a bit creepy:

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, two threads about this. Copypasting what I wrote in the other thread:

When will people accept the fact that this isn't about Pixar or Hollywood or your favorite rap or rock artist but a systemic issue that plagues women EVERYWHERE in almost EVERY context of their lives? Men are the problem, and don't give me that shit about "speak for yourself", every single one of us is responsible for upholding this awful status quo. If you're actively working against it like I am, good for you and know that I appreciate it - but never forget to look inward and reflect on your own behaviors and thoughts while walking that path.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

When will people accept the fact that this isn't about Pixar or Hollywood or your favorite rap or rock artist but a systemic issue that plagues women EVERYWHERE in almost EVERY context of their lives? Men are the problem, and don't give me that shit about "speak for yourself", every single one of us is responsible for upholding this awful status quo. If you're actively working against it like I am, good for you and know that I appreciate it - but never forget to look inward and reflect on your own behaviors and thoughts while walking that path.

I agree, I keep saying all men are guilty of it at some level or not and some want to say speak for your self bud. We either are enabling it or actively doing it. So if Men are not actively anti-sexual harrassment the behaviors will continue. Its the same for when we bring up race and people recoil back to well not me! instead of saying how am i in my daily life being anti sexism, racism etc.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I was a kid I remember wondering why Disney animation etc. seemed so male dominated when you heard about animators or saw behind the scene stuff in making ofs.

It's so damn sad that this is the explanation.

Not only mistreated but even shunned when they display skill :/

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, I keep saying all men are guilty of it at some level or not and some want to say speak for your self bud. We either are enabling it or actively doing it. So if Men are not actively anti-sexual harrassment the behaviors will continue. Its the same for when we bring up race and people recoil back to well not me! instead of saying how am i in my daily life being anti sexism, racism etc.

No one is immune to prejudice - we're genetically wired to compartmentalize unknown factors in our environment as potential threats to our way of life. This means that whenever someone claims that they don't have a racist/sexist/homophobic bone in their body, I just go :thinkingemoji: so hard that my head falls off.

Lesson 3: Never have heroes.

Nah.

Lesson 1: Learn from their mistakes
Lesson every other lesson ever: Listen to women

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Everything about this is so disheartening. It's even worse than I initially thought.

I looked up to John as a kid and thought he was this masterful and ingenious person that cared more than anything about the future of animation. Turns out he was a piece of shit that clearly put more effort into getting away with sexual harassment than anything else.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I finished reading the whole thing, including the Medium article.

What that poor woman has endured is mind-blowing and infuriating. The part about one of her earlier jobs as a waitress, where she accidentally got a female supervisor in trouble for confiding in her about the sexual harassment (said supervisor complained, and was fired by the restaurant), and how this incident informed her that speaking up at work was a bad idea and caused her to endure this in silence all those years, is incredibly depressing. Not mention all those other instances of sexual assault of course.

I wish they had named that creepy guy who kept ogling at her. I'm not blaming her for not naming him, I'm sure there are valid legal reasons for that, but from all appearances that slimy sack of shit never got in trouble for his behaviour and might still even work there. Gross.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, Lasseter's a fucking scumbag.

I just finished the audiobook for Creativity, Inc. and since then I've seen nothing but terrible, disgusting info coming out about the Pixar camp. What a disappointment.

I watched a mini doc on Lasseter and this bit already seemed a bit creepy:

Yep. I remember watching this for the first time and being really weirded out at how he would basically engulf every person, especially the women, with these giant bear-hugs every time he saw them. Really that should have been the first sign that something wasn't right.

Talk about shattering though, I wanted to be an animator for the longest time growing up and Lasseter was one of my heroes.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck did they calculate that John's value to the company was worth the reputation damage and opening themselves up to lawsuits?

This is what happens when executives aren't seen as replaceable.

More than that it's the mentality from the people at top making excuses and minimizing complaints because they themselves don't see it as a problem. Boys will be boys and all that.

Pimienta

Oct 25, 2017
Lasseter is a huge ass creep. I've seen this kind of enviroment in real life, and it is even more disheartening.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how any man can treat women like this and then hide behind a "I can't control myself; boys will be boys!" excuse. Youre essentially saying you're an uncivilized, primitive piece of garbage unable to act like a fucking human. You're ok with that?

Oct 25, 2017
I'd really love to read a piece about men who are decent human beings in and out of the work environment for once.

You can read that after men finally take care of business and band together to excise toxic masculinity from mainstream culture. Until then, I can live without those types of articles personally - we don't deserve them.

Last edited:

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how any man can treat women like this and then hide behind a "I can't control myself; boys will be boys!" excuse. Youre essentially saying you're an uncivilized, primitive piece of garbage unable to act like a fucking human. You're ok with that?
Look who's running 'murica and how fast people brushed off his locker room talk bullshit. Enabling this shit has to stop.

Mar 10, 2018

Careful saying things like this here, next thing you know people will call you "sexist" and accuse you of having an "agenda." Whatever the hell that means.

Oct 25, 2017
Careful saying things like this here, next thing you know people will call you "sexist" and accuse you of having an "agenda." Whatever the hell that means.

Oh trust me, I hope they do. Those people, from past experience, can barely form half an argument. Ask them to cite sources and they, best case scenario, deliver biased cherry-picked misquoted info from studies they haven't even read. Point this out and they run away with their tail tucked between their legs. Every god damn time.

They are right about one thing; I certainly have an agenda. Crushing male dominance over society into the ground. No need to guess, I'm spelling it out for you.

Oct 25, 2017
Framing their actions as "mistakes" is a mistake.

Fair point, was just thinking it's an incredibly basic start anyone can easily adopt.

Look, we all need to stop doing this shit. This lottery/I-bet-you shit.

We have a gender image problem. We need to focus on that rather than "who's next?".

Amen.

I'd argue it's better to look at it as a position of unlearning what's normalized in society. A small difference perhaps, but it changes the framing from a collection of single events into something bigger.

If you read my other posts in this thread you will hopefully notice that that is exactly my point. These aren't isolated incidents committed by "the baddies out there", this is systemic violence and oppression that every man contributes to whether they want to or not. Facing that fact head-on is a good start.

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a fascinating (and long) read that was. I went through it all. I'm both horrified and amazed as to how a company that has produced so many things I've admired for two decades could have a work culture as shitty as that.

I'm one of those who always thought Brave was better than what the internet told me. It wasnt the best but it certainly was better than any of the Cars films, A Bug's Life, and A Good Dinosaur. I knew it had behind the scenes troubles but its infuriating to now know that those problems were related to sexism with its female director and it had to happen in a film centered about a girl and her mother.

I lamented Lasseter having to leave when we knew little to no details about all of this but now? Good riddance to the lecherous asshole. Was he married? How can people be this shitty?