• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
variety.com

Inside Victoria Alonso’s Shocking Exit From Marvel Studios

Behind the shock termination of veteran Marvel Studios executive Victoria Alonso.
While the cause of Alonso's termination is unclear, the sources said, the decision was made by a consortium including Disney Entertainment Co-Chairman Alan Bergman, to whom all of Marvel Studios reports. Alonso's longtime boss and Marvel chief creative officer Kevin Feige was not involved in the process, another person familiar with the exit added. Feige, who felt mired in an impossible situation, ultimately did not intervene. Alonso was blindsided, another insider added.
Numerous sources familiar with Marvel pointed to the tremendous pressure the unit has been under over the past few years to deliver compelling content not just to theaters, but in the form of new streaming shows intended to bolster Disney+. In 2021 and 2022, Marvel unloaded an unprecedented torrent of comic book adventures, releasing 17 titles — seven movies, eight streaming series and two TV specials — over 23 months.

That breakneck distribution schedule, a product of the pandemic and the need to constantly feed Disney+, was not of Alonso's making, and Marvel was far from the only studio tasked with delivering feature-level content for a newly launched streaming service. But it was Alonso's job to get each of those titles through Marvel's gargantuan post-production process, and by the summer of 2022, cracks began to show in the company's seemingly impervious armor.
"The show I was on really struggled because it was an established character whose powers they were reconceiving for the MCU," the artist said on the condition of anonymity. Most complaints, they said, came down to one refrain: "Marvel doesn't figure shit out beforehand."
A different senior VFX artist threw cold water on the idea that Alonso would single out individual artists: "The idea of a very senior exec terrifying rank and file artists, per some reports, feels a bit off," they told Variety. Above the line, three different up-and-coming actors in the MCU agreed that Alonso was only a supportive force on set.

"She was the epitome of professional, and knows her stuff," said one former Disney film executive.
Would honestly recommend just reading the full article, tough one to select excerpts from

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Maybe the announced slowdown of content will help in some capacity, but it won't fix shit like this

"Marvel doesn't figure shit out beforehand."

It's such a deeply inefficient process if you're constantly redoing stuff along the way. This is not one person - this is the pipeline, and it's fucked.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Also kind of cowardly of Feige considering a lot of this shit is his fault due to scheduling and not pushing back against the content tsunami being asked.

ZW33

Oct 25, 2017
She really did get fired over Quantumania.

Orc7n7G_copy.png

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The article says a lot we've heard before about VFX and stuff but nothing specific.

Was she not delivering enough? Did Disney want more?
Was the quality an issue?
Was the way VFX being treated the issue?

It's all conjecture still.

Above the line, three different up-and-coming actors in the MCU agreed that Alonso was only a supportive force on set.

"She was the epitome of professional, and knows her stuff," said one former Disney film executive.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The studio revered for their unbelievable forethought and long-term plans is terrible at exercising forethought and developing concrete long-term plans. Shocking.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Also kind of cowardly of Feige considering a lot of this shit is his fault due to scheduling and not pushing back against the content tsunami being asked.

Who knows what happened here. A lot of studios but off more than they could chew during the streaming wars.
Maybe they thought they could do it and underestimated the work involved.

She really did get fired over Quantumania.

That seems possible, if only she was cut loose as a scapegoat.
Wouldn't be the first time they pin the blame on a woman.

Oct 27, 2017
I think I speak for most vfx artists and prod when I say "fuck Victoria Alonso"

Yep. Co-signed. They can trot out all the anonymous sources they like to say, oh, Alonso never did this, always professional, etc. - but anyone who is in the position to know (i.e., a position further down the ladder), knows all too well the truth. A fellow executive having kind words for her means nothing.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
No, I asked how do you know this: 'considering a lot of this shit is his fault due to scheduling and not pushing back against the content tsunami being asked.'
How do you know what he did or did not do? Was just curious.
Do I know if he sent out emails complaining about the scheduling? No. He however as lead of the MCU is responsible for the products and scheduling of the TV shows and movies being released. If we're giving credit to him when things are going well then he deserves blame when they things are going poorly.

Also judging by the article, the execs know the scheduling is a problem but Alonso also is essentially the fall person for the MCU's current issues.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Please spill the tea. I have a nephew interested in computer art and wants to do vfx for a living. I'm trying to steer him to more lucrative and less stressful areas in compsci.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Commentary
Variety calling Victoria Alonso "a woman of color" made me do a double take. She looks pretty fucking white to me.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Please spill the tea. I have a nephew interested in computer art and wants to do vfx for a living. I'm trying to steer him to more lucrative and less stressful areas in compsci.
Not a vfx worker but, VFX are the only ununionized part of a hollywood production. They are overworked and under payed, and directors, not just marvel, often treat VFX as some magical part of the process where they can just change whatever they want at will, instead of the craft it is. Leading to alot of work having to be either thrown away completely or redone multiple times.

UnderSiege

Mar 5, 2019
Do I know if he sent out emails complaining about the scheduling? No. He however as lead of the MCU is responsible for the products and scheduling of the TV shows and movies being released. If we're giving credit to him when things are going well then he deserves blame when they things are going poorly.

Also judging by the article, the execs know the scheduling is a problem but Alonso also is essentially the fall person for the MCU's current issues.
I agree, he's certainly responsible. But just like I'd hold Iger more responsible for the immense pressure to produce the sequel trilogy extremely quickly than Kennedy, I'd be very curious how those conversation went between Feige and Iger, or Feige and Chapek.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
In 2021 and 2022, Marvel unloaded an unprecedented torrent of comic book adventures, releasing 17 titles — seven movies, eight streaming series and two TV specials — over 23 months.

Disney machine said make-a the content. Things got shaky to meet the content demands. Then faceless executives they pointed out the scape goat. And now they are delaying all the projects.

onyx

Dec 25, 2017
I'm sure there are many sides to this story. My corporate world experience makes me want to side with the complaining workers.

If we're giving credit to him when things are going well then he deserves blame when they things are going poorly.

That's how I feel about it. Even if he wasn't the main problem ( who knows) he still shares the blame.

Oct 27, 2017
Can you share some stories that counter that?

Most of us have stories (and swap them over beers), but to get a half-decent sense of it, it's easier to point to the r/vfx thread: reddit

As someone with 20+ years in the industry, I assure you - experiences with this person were not the norm (there is such a thing as a good client, rare though it may be), and in general the worse the story about how Alonso ran her shows and the teams under her, the more true it likely is.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
She has been honored by media watchdogs and visual effects communities alike and is about to publish a memoir about her corporate ascent, the aptly titled "Possibility Is Your Superpower" (which is still set for release at the Disney book label Hyperion Avenue).
Awkward.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the "three up and coming marvel actors" and the "disney executive"? I guess not.
Not that I don't believe you but Variety also clearly quotes a vfx artist

A different senior VFX artist threw cold water on the idea that Alonso would single out individual artists: "The idea of a very senior exec terrifying rank and file artists, per some reports, feels a bit off,"

I'm most curious about the blacklisting rumor. If she didn't provide support and unduly pushed the vfx firms of her own volition (as opposed to being forced into it by higher execs) that's enough to say fuck her but it's a whole different can of worms to be personally fucking up the lives of low level artists

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From a friend who works in the VFX industry, including some recent Marvel projects, he and his coworkers would disagree with a lot of the article. They are not a fan of her and made their jobs extremely difficult.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what further 'adjustments' they plan to make. So far only the TV shows have been affected.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think some stuff might have been out of her control, like the huge demand of content, but then things were made even harder on the VFX teams when they had so many different people in charge approve and give notes on shots. That's the kind of area I imagine she could have eased pressure instead of adding.

Patch — who most recently worked as an associate visual-effects producer on the Jordan Peele horror-comedy Nope — says he was surprised to discover that Alonso and Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige insisted on personally approving shots that require visual-effects work. "You wake up, and the first review would be set for 7:30 on a Sunday, because you're dealing with Kevin's schedule, you're dealing with vendors all over the world: London, Bangalore, Australia, China," he says. "Then everyone has to adjust based on the needs of whoever's reviewing the shot: the director, the showrunner, the producers. Everybody's giving their opinion, and sometimes they're giving multiple notes on the same frames. You're like, 'What direction do I go with this?'" (Marvel declined to comment on Feige's involvement. An insider close to the company, however, says that Feige does not approve every VFX shot.)
www.vulture.com

Inside the VFX Union Brewing in Hollywood

Visual-effects technicians have never been more vital to movies and TV. Can studios like Marvel accept that?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Commentary
This article had like zero meat, barely anything new or interesting to be quite honest
Variety calling Victoria Alonso "a woman of color" made me do a double take. She looks pretty fucking white to me.
marvels-co-president-victoria-alonso-notoriously-known-as-kingmaker-exits-the-company-after-working-for-17-years-001.png

Being from Argentina is all it takes I guess? lol