Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I think people just put on the end and watch the cool fight with the music. Most of that movie is so boring.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
I painstakingly downloaded the trailer over many hours in what I think was quicktime format. I bought my tickets early. I waited in line for 2 hours to get a good seat.

I was sitting in the the theater thinking, "wow, this is so great!" but by the time I got to the car with my dad it was more like, "wait... was it?" I was so pumped for it and desperately wanted to like it. But it was bad. And it's still bad.

ahoyle

Feb 16, 2018
It ranks 4th of all SW movies for me, after 5,4,6. It's not perfect by any means, but it's world building is amazing. Duel of Fates is easily the best fight in the whole series. And the Pod race is immensely underrated.

Decision to kill off the 2 best characters outside the OT was perplexing though.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I like most of Phantom Menace🤷‍♂️
Qui gonn, Darth Maul, young Obi Wan. All good with me.

I still say you grab an older Anikan and tone back JarJar and it's a solid movie.

Oct 27, 2017
If not for Rise of Skywalker, Phantom would be the worst Star Wars movie in my opinion. I'll just copy my thoughts from my March rewatch:

Yeah, Ani is bad, Jar Jar is worse, and the racial stereotypes are fucking bizarre, but the most offensive element to me is how stitched together the narrative is? Like the editing is objectively bad, as if certain moments were mistakenly omitted. We cut from Darth Maul heading out on his speeder to Qui-Gon mid-sprint, Maul right on his heels. We jump from the Naboo landing to the sacred Gungan area to the battlefield to the castle. Of course you don't need to show every little thing, it's easy enough to connect the dots, but the way it unfolds is just so sloppy. George's disinterest in directing is absolutely evident, and it's a shame, because he let the other craftspeople down (ILM absolutely knocked it out of the park, shouts to Doug Chiang for the impeccable art direction).

fl1ppyB

Jun 11, 2018
Highest highs and lowest lows of the prequels IMO. Also the only one that is somewhat pleasing to look at.

Dec 17, 2022
Upon release I was disappointed by it.

But in the current climate, I've long since realized how much heavy lifting PM and prequels have done for the franchise. We just had a show (Bad Batch) end depicting the conclusion to the clone saga and Hayden is still showing up in recent properties (Ashoka and Obi-Wan). It's amazing.

The line "It's woooorking" is still uber-cringe, though.

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023
Genuinely thinks standards have fallen to the point it doesn't seem as bad as when it first came out. It's no worse than the average MCU movie for example.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely thinks standards have fallen to the point it doesn't seem as bad as when it first came out. It's no worse than the average MCU movie for example.

Nah. PM is a technical mess of a film and nearly every actor is giving a bad performance.

I think it's one of the most shockingly inept blockbusters ever made... and somehow Attack of the Clones is even worse.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
It's working, it's working!

All that riding on the RLM bus was for nothing, nerds.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shitty movie. Its insane production values do a lot to salvage it, though.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Revenge of the Sith was my first Star Wars movie in theaters and I loved it, it's what made me a Star Wars fan.

I need to rewatch the movies but Phantom Menace was alright from what I remember. Attack of the Clones was a movie I never watch to the end.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
Agree with anybody pointing out that it's Episode I. I imagine most people think it's good enough and are moving on to the others, but I could also see a lot of the audience dipping after since it doesn't really do much to grab you and keep you in the series.

TheBee

Oct 18, 2023
Nah. PM is a technical mess of a film and nearly every actor is giving a bad performance.

I think it's one of the most shockingly inept blockbusters ever made... and somehow Attack of the Clones is even worse.

Oh I agree.

My point was that other blockbuster films being even worse has made people think this film isn't as bad as people thought when it's just that people's standards have fallen so much.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It makes sense, D+ orders the movies chronologically so easy to imagine people starting at 1.

Sep 7, 2018
The prequels might not have good acting or dialouge, but they delivered when it comes to world building. Lucas and his team did amazing work on expanding the world and concept design for ships and vehicles. John Williams also delivers the best tracks of the series for the prequels. I will take taxation of trade routes any day over the dreadful world building of the sequel trilogy.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i saw this one recently, i gotta say i thought it was generally capable but not very interesting and constantly missing good opportunities which is just generally how i feel about all star wars movies i've seen

Karsha

May 1, 2020
I don't remember this movie at all other than the awesome poster and marketing and the final duel which imho is one of the best, if not the best, in the series

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
It's a really bad movie, and I love it. As mentioned, tone back Jar Jar and have an older Anakin, and you have a much more solid movie. I hadn't realised until watching the theatrical release recently, why does the Naboo ship have the capability to scan and assess midichlorian counts?

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
It's a fun movie to watch IMO even if it isn't as good as the OT. I have a lot of friends who love SW and we tend to watch the prequels more as it's just a good time.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
More power to folks who can rewatch that one. I can't. I can and do however rewatch Clone Wars. I loved it as a kid in the theater and I still love it now.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I'd say the real test here is how many then go on to watch the rest of the PT VS how many end up like me and decide nah, I'm good.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Man it's gonna be one hell of a wake-up call to the Gen Xers and Millenials who despise the sequel trilogy when, in 10-15 years time, Zoomers who grew up with those movies as their Star Wars enter their 30s and start getting all nostalgic for them. They'll receive mass fan re-appraisal like the prequels have, just watch.

Every line of dialogue that people hate and clown on now ("They fly now?!") is gonna be meme'd into being good, like Anakin's diatribe about sand.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I do think the quality of the blockbuster, led by the MCU has dropped. This movie has far more stakes (far more than most all mcu entries), a couple good performances, and more tonally even than something like Multiverse of Madness

Actually watched it last night in theater (first time). Never was a defender of it before.

Pros: worldbuilding (excellent extras, machinery, sets, and diversity of interesting locales), Darth Maul's design, Qui-Gon/Padme/Anakin as protagonists whose fate we're invested in, podrace sequence, the soundtrack, Duel of Fates sequence (having Obi-wan a backseat character the entire film have to suddenly assert himself in crisis), a few impressive visuals, the broad narrative strokes

Cons: Any sense of nuance, Jar Jar, inconsistencies like establishing the force run but not having Obi use it with Qui-Gon, overly politically focused, some dead performances, too much cg in a few instances, on the nose dialogue, and so on

I think it largely works because of the broad narrative strokes. You can overlook how clumsy it is with the right sound/visuals, during a visceral screening. At home tv volume, its a much less bearable viewing.

GoodGrief

Jan 24, 2024
Man it's gonna be one hell of a wake-up call to the Gen Xers and Millenials who despise the sequel trilogy when, in 10-15 years time, Zoomers who grew up with those movies as their Star Wars enter their 30s and start getting all nostalgic for them. They'll receive mass fan re-appraisal like the prequels have, just watch.

Every line of dialogue that people hate and clown on now ("They fly now?!") is gonna be meme'd into being good, like Anakin's diatribe about sand.
It's gonna be great, the sooner we get to that point the better.

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
"I wanna get into star wars! Guess I'll start at 'episode one'! 😊 "
"....I don't think I want to watch any more of this 🤢"

Soybean

Nov 12, 2017
Forgive me, I'm going to complain about the tiniest thing: I can't stand the way this article is written. A few paragraphs in it refers to "the streamer" without having once referred to Disney+ or the Disney company at all. What streamer? What the hell is a streamer anyway (nobody I know refers to streaming services that way)?

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Yeah, it's 100% due to people who never watched Star Wars deciding to check it out, starting with episode 1, and then deciding it's not for them.

I checked out the re-release last weekend and as an adult with better analytical skills it was easier to see why the movie just doesn't work.

That said, it's still the best of the Prequels. It's not good, and way behind both the OT and ST, but yeah. Best of the Prequels.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
I mean denial is a strong drug and nostalgia will blind even the most devout.

It was fun to watch again but I guarantee you when the 25-year anniversary for the attack of the clones comes....

-_-

It gets everywhere...

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly don't expect that will happen like it has for the prequels.

The sequels just aren't supported at the level the prequels were that pushed them on people so heavily.
They also set themselves up so badly for it that the scope of the sequels is so focused it doesn't feel like a thing you can throw so many additional things into.

Toys, games, shows... they went all in on prequels
latest
81N3fe4DrpL.jpg
Star_Wars_Obi_Wan_x-box_cover.jpg
ep1racergbc-sq-1644008649749.jpg

latest
latest
latest

1H6Ov6Hf7a8mkJHm37jSeuMmSJoCHLNA.png
fab1f19dc8fff23549c8650e11b9f3f3758e4cfbb470b76481982d685fda830d

023272327750.jpg

Like the prequels were all of Star Wars for over a decade,
The sequels were 3 of 5 movies and a failed animated series, and then CW returned and Mandalorian came out and Andor and Obi-Wan and Ahsoka now Acolyte....

Rey, Finn and Kylo will be popular and probably become more popular but I don't think the sequels as a whole will

Last edited: