• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021

variety.com

What Spell Did Marvel Cast on the MPA for ‘Doctor Strange 2’ to Receive a PG-13 Rating?

How did Marvel's first horror superhero movie receive a PG-13 rating, instead of R despite graphic imagery and brutal violence?

The ratings board acts as this systemic buffer for art reaching the minds of children, whether the MPA wants to admit that or not. Even though the rating system is voluntary, most theaters refuse to show unrated or NC-17 features. In effect, the rating system is often the make or break for financial success, and determines what stories are greenlit by studios.

MPA ratings also can't take into consideration the fact that films affect everyone differently. "Arachnophobia" (1990) received a PG-13, but for someone like me who is deathly afraid of spiders, it might as well have earned a hard X.

Other horror classics avoided an R but have aged gracefully, including the desert monster comedy "Tremors" (1990), the paranormal flick "What Lies Beneath" (2000), the ghostly American remake "The Grudge" (2004), the Statue of Liberty head-throwing "Cloverfield" (2008) and the child-killing monsters that don't like rocket ship toys "A Quiet Place" (2018). Even one of Raimi's most inventive films, "Drag Me to Hell" (2009), shockingly avoided the scarlet R rating while blending body horror and actively funny sequences.

"Doctor Strange" is yet another example that with movies that target the widest possible audience, the MPA seems too worried about profanity but allows "intense violence" to slip on by with a PG-13.

While my parents would have surely brought me to see the MCU sequel without batting an eye, and as a father of an 11-year-old, I'd do the same, not every parenting style is equal. The MPA should reflect that more consistently.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Clayton Davis said and it's an very interesting article about how arbitrary the MPA can be. After seeing Sam Raimi's Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and comparing even withJames Gunn's The Suicide Squad (which got an R Rating), I'm equally flabbergasted and pleased that Sam Raimi got away with this PG-13 rating with this much horror elements going on.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Nothing in the movie comes close to warranting an R rating

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
In comparison to a lot of its peers it kinda pushes the limits from time to time, but honestly it's still not that bad that I'd say it ever comes close to R. It's pretty thoroughly PG-13. Most of the time it's either cartoonish (eyeball), implied (shield), or not overtly gorey (fence post).

I think people are more just surprised to see it in a Marvel movie, which are typically pretty sanitized and often lean closer to PG. Even Star Wars tends to push things a little further than the typical Marvel film.

NinjaGarden

Oct 25, 2017
PG-13 was created for movies just like this.
While my parents would have surely brought me to see the MCU sequel without batting an eye, and as a father of an 11-year-old, I'd do the same, not every parenting style is equal. The MPA should reflect that more consistently.
It literally means Parental Guidance for children under 13.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
An R rating would be very silly lol pg 13 is just right.

The film is pretty tame compared to what we saw in the 80s and even the 90s.

The issue is studios have candy cottened family movies so much these kind of things seem 'scary'

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, PG-13 seems right. I wasn't thinking it warranted an R after seeing it, myself.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
gmPVViT.png

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If The Batman is PG-13 with some truly gruesome and realistic deaths while having a genuinely dark tone and no comedy, I don't see why this would be Rated R.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
The violence in the movie is definitely not as bad as people are making it out to be. PG-13 absolutely seems like the right rating.

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
There was nothing in this movie that would earn an R rating lol
If there wasn't nothing on Multiverse of Madness to warrant an R rating, I'd argue the same thing I've said this on the OT: I just can't see how anything on James Gunn's The Suicide Squad would warrant an R rating either. In a lot of ways, I see Doctor Strange in the Muitiverse of Madness more inspired by Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell than anything he has ever done on his Spider-Man trilogy.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all remember the two trexes in The Lost World ragdolling that poor guy then tearing him in half?

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If there wasn't nothing on Multiverse of Madness to warrant an R rating, I'd argue the same thing I've said this on the OT: I just can't see how anything on James Gunn's The Suicide Squad would warrant an R rating either.

... I'm not sure you remember what happened in that movie. They're incomparable.

If there wasn't nothing on Multiverse of Madness to warrant an R rating, I'd argue the same thing I've said this on the OT: I just can't see how anything on James Gunn's The Suicide Squad would warrant an R rating either. In a lot of ways, I see Doctor Strange in the Muitiverse of Madness more inspired by Sam Raimi's Drag Me To Hell than anything he has ever done on his Spider-Man trilogy.
Huh? The Suicide Squad is filled to the brim with very bloody and incredibly gory violence in it that definitely pushes hard into the R-rating. Hell, one of the first things that happens to anyone in the film is Pete Davidson's head gets blown off in graphic detail before they go to town on the rest of the B-team, and it persists all the way through the end. And that's even before we get into all the profanity.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
The R rating is stupid to begin with when a few extra blood squibs and swears can earn a movie that rating, but I also don't think a movie having "scary" or "horror" elements should classify it as a R rated movie. It somewhat implies that there is some sort of positive merit in the rating by itself, as if a movie being PG-13 is a problem.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lol it wasn't even close imo. There were a couple of "disturbing scenes" and some more gory violence than what we usually see jn marvel movies. It's definitely not the movie some parents thought they were coming to see though lol

OP
OP
Mancha

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
The R rating is stupid to begin with when a few extra blood squibs and swears can earn a movie that rating, but I also don't think a movie having "scary" or "horror" elements should classify it as a R rated movie. It somewhat implies that there is some sort of positive merit in the rating by itself, as if a movie being PG-13 is a problem.
Agreed.

Huh? The Suicide Squad is filled to the brim with very bloody and incredibly gory violence in it that definitely pushes hard into the R-rating. Hell, one of the first things that happens to anyone in the film is Pete Davidson's head gets blown off in graphic detail before they go to town on the rest of the B-team, and it persists all the way through the end. And that's even before we get into all the profanity.
And it's played with a comedic tone. I was scared and tense throughout a lot of Multiverse of Madness, but not really for anything happening in The Suicide Squad. I do understand that James Gunn's The Suicide Squad, but I do agree with the article I've posted on the OP: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness got away with a PG-13 rating and while I'm glad it did that, I'm not sure if I would take kids to watch this one.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
And the full frontal male nudity.
And the Cronenberg-esque body horror of Starro.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
If there wasn't nothing on Multiverse of Madness to warrant an R rating, I'd argue the same thing I've said this on the OT: I just can't see how anything on James Gunn's The Suicide Squad would warrant an R rating either. In a lot of ways, I see Doctor Strange in the Muitiverse of Madness more inspired by Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell than anything he has ever done on his Spider-Man trilogy.

You may need to re-watch The Suicide Squad. It is incredibly, graphically violent, features a lot more swearing, and briefly shows full frontal male nudity.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, I didn't get that either. SS leans into the R rating. That is Gunn letting lose and it's no question earns it's R rating.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe more films should be this loose with pg13 ratings :)

It was pretty dope though

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I only thought it was pretty violent for a Marvel film. And that some kids were gonna have nightmares for sure.

But nothing in it was to the level of changing the rating.

And it's played with a comedic tone. I was scared and tense throughout a lot of Multiverse of Madness, but not really for anything happening in The Suicide Squad. I do understand that James Gunn's The Suicide Squad, but I do agree with the article I've posted on the OP: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness got away with a PG-13 rating and while I'm glad it did that, I'm not sure if I would take kids to watch this one.
Just because it's played with a more comedic tone doesn't mean the MPAA is going to give you leniency based on that, or else something like The Wolf of Wall Street would be the most drug-fueled, sex-filled, potty-mouthed PG-13 ever.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
This movie did not push the boundaries of the pg13 rating, we are just too used to summer blockbusters being overly sanitized.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My 13 yr old wasnt creeped out or thought it was particularly gory, and she loved it. I dont think its anywhere near an R in either respect.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia

The Suicide Squad was literally a big budget splatter comedy. It clearly deserved its rating.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Just because it's played with a more comedic tone doesn't mean the MPAA is going to give you leniency based on that, or else something like The Wolf of Wall Street would be the most drug-fueled, sex-filled, potty-mouthed PG-13 ever.

Or ED2 and Re-Animator. Can you imagine? 😂

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
This is very silly. There is nothing that makes the rating of this movie scandalous at all. It's graphic and intense for a Marvel movie but not for a PG-13 horror film. Like it's not nearly as scary as The Ring and not nearly as gross as Drag Me To Hell (Sam Raimi's last horror movie), and both those movies are PG-13.

It's also nowhere close to as gory, violent or raunchy as The Suicide Squad so that is a point of comparison I find completely baffling.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
The eyeball thing would've scared the shit out of kid me. I really hope that's not a thing going forward, the CGI was so bad. The eyeball and the church scene in particular. It's PG-13, an unpleasant PG-13 mind you, but still.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Eh Jurassic Park showed severed arms and people getting chomped in half. This only implied the gore for the most part but I loved it.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you really try to compare The Suicide Squad to this? Why would you do this if they're not even remotely comparable in terms of violence? The Suicide Squad is known for having endlessly off-putting realistic gore, swearing, and nudity, just like Peacemaker on HBO.

At the end of the day, Disney still wanted this to fit in with MCU. If anything, all the other MCU movies should have been PG because they were extremely obviously aimed at children with their corny humor and tone, and this one more at teenagers. Drag Me To Hell was PG-13 and it made sense. Creepy faces and makeup doesn't mean R Rating.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Agreed.

So you just straight up do not understand the film rating system at all and think it is used to gauge how scary movies are?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Did we forget PG13 can go almost as far without it being an R?

PG legit had nudity before PG13
And of course

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
It's not very gory, language isn't anything you can't see on late night network tv, and there's no nudity. No reason to be R.