• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

These are just three of them, there are even more that AShadowLink was able to uncover on Discord from Amazon (which the US Nintendo site uses) in addition to one I personally uncovered…
  • Paper Mario: The Origami King
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
  • Pikmin 3 Deluxe
  • Metroid Dread
  • Kirby Star Allies
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Fire Emblem: Engage
  • Yoshi's Crafted World
  • WarioWare: Get it Together!
  • Nintendo Switch Sports
  • Super Mario Odyssey
  • Splatoon 2
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Mario Strikers: Battle League
Most of these are older releases that shouldn't be a huge surprise to see be out of print, but FE Engage is the odd one out considering it was only released a year ago. Likewise, none of the Top 3 for first-party Switch releases (MK8D, New Horizons, & Smash Ultimate) are going out of print. Maybe they're bringing back Nintendo Selects this year? Who knows, but we can't really say anything definitive for right now.

Sources: Nintendeals (Twitter), AShadowLink (Discord, via Amazon)

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sad to see, but glad I own everything that I want from this list already.

I do hope that some, if not all, come back in some form.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
I guess this kinda sheds light on the Switch 1 v Switch 2 SKU thing?
As in, will they be reprinted with "Works with both" or something?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I bought Xenoblade 2 a few months ago physical, and I noticed it was pricier than I expected.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Mario Odyssey is extremely surprising. NSMB I get, since Wonder kinda replaces it.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
Switch games go in and out of print frequently. Hard to draw any real conclusions from this.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
This is so unfortunate, man. I know this type of shit happens regularly, but like, I didn't think we'd see fairly recent games like Fire Emblem Engage on this list. If I had to guess though, the next potential victims to go out of print fairly quickly is Master Detective Archives Rain Code, Dragon Quest Monsters and possibly, Another Code Recollection. I just don't see that game getting the mass print treatment it may deserve or it possibly going out of stock by the end of the year.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Ah, fuck.

I've been considering replacing my Wii U copy of Pikmin 3 with a Switch copy since the whole franchise is available there now. Guess I missed the boat.

Also was gonna pick up Metroid Dread eventually. Guess that ain't gonna happen now.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a mix of games going out of print and the holidays emptying stock. It happens, there's only so much room on store shelves.

Jul 14, 2023
That's a shame, damn. Was hoping I could gift my nephew a physical copy of Mario Odyssey for his birthday later this year. Hopefully they come back as Selects or something similar.

rewkol

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We're at the point where this very well good be something happening, but I think I need one more wisp of smoke before I start raising the alarm. As has been said in the OP, many of these have been out of print before so it is nothing new for these titles.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this kinda sheds light on the Switch 1 v Switch 2 SKU thing?
As in, will they be reprinted with "Works with both" or something?
The successor isn't even close to its launch, way too early to do this. Just confuses consumers, mentioning a system on the box months before its release.

Since they're already out of stock, whatever to replace them should have very close release date. "Selects" makes more sense but that doesn't explain Engage there.

Last edited:

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Back into the Nintendo vault so they can rerelease it in a few years.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
FE Engage must have pretty bad legs for them to pull it so soon. Very surprised with Odyssey and Switch Sports. I'd imagine they want some of this stock off shelves for Nintendo Selects or something before the Switch 2 this fall.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
The successor isn't even close to its launch, way too early to do this. Just confuses consumers, mentioning a system months before its release.

Since they're already oıt of stock, whatever to replace them should have very close release date. "Selects" makes more sense but that doesn't explain Engage there.
That's a good point, considering what a realistic timeline would be before they'd have a need to do any S2 related marketing. Assuming of course these things are getting reprinted sooner rather than later and they're not just gonna let things be in limbo for a while.

Noog

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 1, 2018
I wonder if they're working on a new type of "Nintendo Selects" line?

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
The successor isn't even close to its launch, way too early to do this. Just confuses consumers, mentioning a system months before its release.

Since they're already oıt of stock, whatever to replace them should have very close release date. "Selects" makes more sense but that doesn't explain Engage there.
Iirc engage's legs are terrible so it going Selects this soon would actually make sense still.

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping it's just the return of Nintendo Selects. With promotion that it works on Switch 2.
*huffs the copium*

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
Man, Engage got pulled already? We knew it didn't have good legs, but I didn't think sales were that bad. Yikes.

Odyssey's also a surprise -- you'd think they'd keep that and Mario U on shelves to capitalize upon the movie's explosive success. Unless there's a 3D Mario ready for Switch 2, I'd like to think a Select rebrand would make sense.

ezidro3

May 31, 2021
Dread, Engage, and Sports are surprising. They're not that old.

I think a Selects line is coming sooner rather than later.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
FE Engage must have pretty bad legs for them to pull it so soon. Very surprised with Odyssey and Switch Sports. I'd imagine they want some of this stock off shelves for Nintendo Selects or something before the Switch 2 this fall.
If it had such bad legs it would be out of print tho, it would still have plenty of unsold copies available

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I'll echo the hopes that it's the return of Nintendo Selects.

As for the list, the only one I would probably regret not picking up is maaaaaybe DK Tropical Freeze and Pikmin.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
If Nintendo Selects is not making a comeback, could Nintendo be redesigning the artwork of previously released games to signify they are still backwards compatible with the upcoming hardware? If the naming of the new platform strays far away enough from the Switch brand, it would seem wise to inform prospective customers that these games still work.

A similar situation occurred earlier in the Switch's life with amiibo. Brand new ones still showcased Wii U alongside the 3DS and Switch on the back of the box. With time, the Wii U graphic was slowly diminished, before being removed entirely.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
This has been happening to 3rd party Switch games for a while. E.g Octopath Traveler, Doom, TWEWY Final Mix, NMH: Travis Strikes Back, etc. Certain 1st party games have been gone for some time too, like Bayonetta 2, Astral Chain, Xenoblade 2, etc.

Point is don't wait too long to pick up a physical that might be on the niche side.