• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Interesting discussion, the thread lives!

off-topic: I am on cardiac rehab and while it was not very difficult or weird to get a vegan diet for 3 or 4 weeks during clinic stay, it is totally weird seeing the food buffet and choices made here.
It is a rehab for lung and cardiac issues (congenital defects or heart degeneration like mine, bypass, lung/heart attack etc.)
They do not offer plant based alternatives, at all.

I asked why I have to pick my soy yogurt or oat milk/drink up separately every single day, and why it's simply not offered to all people on the buffet (the benefit would be no cholesterol for example) - the answer was simply "people would not pick it".
And it's so weird to see people with these issues eating their ham, butter, cheese and whatnot in the morning. It makes me a bit angry even, as we are in a clinic with workouts etc to strengthen heart and lung - yet they do nothing regarding food alternatives.
Strangely, the lectures they offer aren't that bad - even suggesting plant based or "less meat" - but then doing the complete opposite for the food offering.

But I do not get the people either - my case is weird since there is not much I can improve anymore. But people with high cholesterol, multiple heart attacks - they can't wait to "get home and drink beer and eat steak" again (while they do get tons of meat here, lol).
Asshole, you are getting this treatment for free, be happy and don't moan..

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Interesting discussion, the thread lives!

off-topic: I am on cardiac rehab and while it was not very difficult or weird to get a vegan diet for 3 or 4 weeks during clinic stay, it is totally weird seeing the food buffet and choices made here.
It is a rehab for lung and cardiac issues (congenital defects or heart degeneration like mine, bypass, lung/heart attack etc.)
They do not offer plant based alternatives, at all.

I asked why I have to pick my soy yogurt or oat milk/drink up separately every single day, and why it's simply not offered to all people on the buffet (the benefit would be no cholesterol for example) - the answer was simply "people would not pick it".
And it's so weird to see people with these issues eating their ham, butter, cheese and whatnot in the morning. It makes me a bit angry even, as we are in a clinic with workouts etc to strengthen heart and lung - yet they do nothing regarding food alternatives.
Strangely, the lectures they offer aren't that bad - even suggesting plant based or "less meat" - but then doing the complete opposite for the food offering.

But I do not get the people either - my case is weird since there is not much I can improve anymore. But people with high cholesterol, multiple heart attacks - they can't wait to "get home and drink beer and eat steak" again (while they do get tons of meat here, lol).
Asshole, you are getting this treatment for free, be happy and don't moan..

There is a disconnect in regards to personal health and the opportunities to improve or reverse diseases. These things should be common sense but unfortunately the profitable food industries are too powerful to be challenged by health institutes. There is no interest in long term health solution than short term medical interventions. It both frustrates me and makes me sad that there exist proven diets that improves bad cholesterol, improve gut diseases and gut microbiom, lowers heart pressure and inflammation levels. Food addiction is bad and people are in denial, even vegans stuck on ultra processed foods..

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
I do think it's dangerous and I like to cook and eat a ton of wholefoods bringing into this argument with Veganism when by definition it's an animal rights thing. We get a lot of people putting people off with such things in the groups and whilst I get my 5+ a day veg, eat a bit of processed Vegan kebab or falafel with it (Often in small amounts, prefer my pickles and stuffed veg) it's better to lead and show people good stuff than to put people off on the better diet and I'm better.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Okay - that was great, I missed this video the first time, shame on me.
This is kinda wierd one as she is an actor and eats meat. (It feels weird but I get it).

If on Facebook. I'm only semi affiliated in a way it's the biggest seitan based group and he was once banned from my mates (Who I now run group and he's still not in) but we both do stuff on Facebook and chat and slag off the platform. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1504318369588752 (The seitan appreciation society; I got him to coin the term pizza appreciation society too but I'm an admin and ignore that because I don't have the time).

One of those talented groups; pics come up so meat based like and I've petty much never eaten meat I have to see if it's mine do I have to double check it is real.

Qotop

Nov 4, 2017
Anyone struggeling to stay motivated? I've been vegan for almost 10 years but for the last couple of months I've felt so unmotivated. Like, I just want to be able to go out for dinner and not have to worry about vegan options for once. And not be or feeling excluded when it comes to food. I didn't use to have any problem with that before.

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Anyone struggeling to stay motivated? I've been vegan for almost 10 years but for the last couple of months I've felt so unmotivated. Like, I just want to be able to go out for dinner and not have to worry about vegan options for once. And not be or feeling excluded when it comes to food. I didn't use to have any problem with that before.
For me it's less about being motivated, it's more about being pragmatic.
I will forever be a strict vegetarian, but if a colleague brings a home made cake to work to share and it's not vegan I'm not going to beat myself up, chastise them, or exclude myself from the party. You have to pick your battles. Same when we go out, I will always prioritize going to vegan or vegan friendly restaurants, but it life brings me to one where my only vegan option is a dry iceberg... well, I will be content to find something vegetarian.
Anything we cook at home is vegan, when we host a potluck with friends, everything everyone brings is vegan. Most of my friends are vegan or at least very veg-friendly so we're very luck in that sense.
I know plenty of strict vegans that see this differently & take issue with this stance and I totally get why. But if the alternative is you dropping off the band wagon entirely or feeling socially isolated and excluded I don't see how that helps anyone or any animal.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017

The temptation is always there, my entire environment is a giant funnel trying to steer me towards fast food, frozen dinners, and junk food.

If I want to eat a healthy meal without animal products I have to cook every single meal myself, there's some services out there but it's too expensive to consistently rely on that stuff.

Just gotta do the best you can, even if you break down one day or even mess up accidentally not realizing something isn't vegan you gotta remember the big picture, if you've been vegan for a decade you've saved countless animals lives and drastically reduced your environmentally harm, nobody is perfect.

OP
OP
dude

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
For me it's less about being motivated, it's more about being pragmatic.
I will forever be a strict vegetarian, but if a colleague brings a home made cake to work to share and it's not vegan I'm not going to beat myself up, chastise them, or exclude myself from the party. You have to pick your battles. Same when we go out, I will always prioritize going to vegan or vegan friendly restaurants, but it life brings me to one where my only vegan option is a dry iceberg... well, I will be content to find something vegetarian.
Anything we cook at home is vegan, when we host a potluck with friends, everything everyone brings is vegan. Most of my friends are vegan or at least very veg-friendly so we're very luck in that sense.
I know plenty of strict vegans that see this differently & take issue with this stance and I totally get why. But if the alternative is you dropping off the band wagon entirely or feeling socially isolated and excluded I don't see how that helps anyone or any animal.
I think veganism should be seen like any other type of activism - the more you do, the better, but overall - but there's a sliding scale you can go up and down in. Being 50% vegan is better than2 0%, and 80% is better than 50% etc. (This can manifests in period of time when you're less vegan, conditions such as eating out when you're not vegan - or whatever works for you.)
I think for people who are "all or nothing", being a strict vegan is easier. If you're someone who had trouble with strictness, giving yourself outs is easier. At the end of the day, the idea is to reduce harm, so any reduction is better than no reduction.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
And let's remember, veganism is a spectrum of activism and everyone falls in different places. At the top echelons some people don't eat honey, or brown sugar, or don't drink beer or wine filtered through isinglass. Those are all different points of friction in our daily lives which can lead to a sense of frustration at the various industries still using these products and frustration at having to be vigilant about everything you buy or order. So everyone has to decide for themselves where on the spectrum of veganism they feel comfortable committing to in a philosophical/emotional sense and a pragmatic sense.

It certainly would be more difficult for me on a daily basis if I didn't live in a very vegan-friendly city like Los Angeles. Then again I've been vegan for over 20 years now so it gets easier as the years go by.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
In fairness there is a definition and animal products do not fall into Veganism full stop and I feel we can't really dilute that ("Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals." ).

Stict Veganism fine, is what it is but it isn't Veganism whatever is for each and there own and I don't partcicularly participate in activism but in a poor Northern UK city (Hull) it's easy to find easteries (We have 3 Thai places with a massive menu, 1 really good Indian place, every other bar has options, including some old pubs, handful of 100% Veggie and Vegan places, the Veggie places catering heavily on the Vegan side) and food shopping is fairly easy even in local frozen food/convenience stores among the many supermarkets and beer especially is easy (60% at least of beer is Vegan in every pub; cider easier).

And now I'm poorish again (Money on bills) so back to living in the bargain frozen food stores and meals consisting of legumes, rice/pasta, tins of tomato, frozen veg and spices/herbs for a few months. With the odd home made pizza over the weekend or whatever decent bargains (There will no doubt be Vegan burgers on my travels on offer dirt cheap; picked up a bag of Vegan meatballs for 99p today).

Last edited:

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017

Never once but to me not eating animals is more important than social norms. But if it makes you feel less stressed become a flexiterian. It is better to have some exceptions than go all vegetarian.

It sucks to go out but it is worse when your friends and family do not respect your choices. It is worse when you eat gluten free, like me, but not following my principles would make me feel worse, not better. I also prioritise homecooking and health, since the options out here are non existent!

It is possible to think less about these things and be more on autopilot. But dont waste time beating yourself over this. It sounds like you have exhausted yourself by now.

Out of curiousity, why was this easier before if you have been doing this for 10 years? different community or lived somewhere else?