Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
And developing a game using which engine exactly? Decima, he got from Guerrilla Games for free?!!

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Kojima just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Kojima's next game for any system, nor will they purchase any of Microsoft's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Kojima has alienated an entire market with this move.

Kojima, publicly apologize and cancel your unannounced game for Xbox or you can kiss your business goodbye.
High risk
Why the f*** would Kojima have to apologize for anything? He can make games wherever he feels like FFS.
High reward

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I can't see that. They're a very small studio.
From last year:
www.gamesradar.com

Hideo Kojima discusses new Kojima Productions projects

The interview was published in the February 6 edition of Famitsu

As far as games go, Kojima Productions "is planning to work on multiple game projects, one of which would be a 'big' game". But Kojima is planning on making some smaller games, too, including episodic and digital-only titles.

We don't know which one of those projects this Microsoft partnership would be and what the fate of those other projects is. That's why forming some narrative about Sony getting annoyed is premature, especially when we have insiders rumoring that KojiPro is working on a Death Stranding 'definitive' edition with possible extra content.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Haha, I love that Venturebeat actually made an article about that joke-thread.

Speaking of which, I always feared Kojima would head elsewhere after Death Stranding's reception... I loved the game, personally.

Guerilla Games and Kojima Productions talking about building upon Decima and future games together were certainly exciting times. It's really unfortunate that the game didn't do better.

That being said, Kojima is one of my favorite developers and he absolutely should keep making AAA-games. If Sony isn't willing to fund his games, I'm happy as shit seeing someone do it!

As should any fan of his be.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe? This narrative that it's like a messy divorce seems whack lol. They're independent. It's just business.
Serious. You didn't see anywhere this level of shit-talking in the thread about Sony having a Remedy exclusive in the works, despite their long affiliation with Microsoft. Some folks are just WAAAY too invested in the console war.

Oct 27, 2017
Sony should relinquish the Death Stranding IP to Kojima as a sign of good will. I would love something else from Kojima-sama on PS. (Preferebly not Death Stranding related.)

trapt777

Oct 25, 2017
Why the f*** would Kojima have to apologize for anything? He can make games wherever he feels like FFS.

🎵Don't Be So Serious🎵

But thanks for the laughs. Everyone please lay off poor Earvin x Hunter, the meme is almost 13 years old now and not everyone is going to know it.

I was hoping the 'cancel your unannounced game for Xbox' was just ridiculous enough to tip off even the uninitiated but I must've just missed the mark.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I saw Earvin x Hunter at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn't want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, "Oh, like you're doing now?"

I was taken aback, and all I could say was "Huh?" but he kept cutting me off and going "huh? huh? huh?" and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like "Sir, you need to pay for those first." At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually "to prevent any electrical infetterence," and then turned around and winked at me. I don't even think that's a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

Reads like Shakespeare.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Dusk Golem said Sony considered Death Stranding a flop right? That lines up with Kojima having to search for a new publisher, so why not MS?

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Does that Jim guy hate japan that much? How can you let Kohima go? Lol whatever I hope he makes an awesome though I wish he would do something for the switch too

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After Death Stranding my interest for Kojima games is near rock bottom levels. He hasn't made a game I truly liked since Metal Gear Solid 3.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony going all in on western AAA titles with a few moneyhatted Square games and such is gonna bite them in the ass someday
Death Stranding doesn't seem to have been a huge sales success and probably was fairly expensive to develop. Japan Studio's last commercial hit was in, like, 2005. I like Japanese games and I want Sony to keep funding them, but Jimbo is following the money. From a business perspective you can't really fault him for that.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting if true. Wonder what engine they will use? Probably UE4/5. Would be rather stupid of Sony just to basically give him an engine and then not set parametres on where he can use it.

I still need to get through DS at some point...I like what I played but it is pretty expansive, minimalist and slow paced. I also petered out on MGSV.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
Same, although I made the decision a few weeks ago. Just waiting on supply now.

Gamepass finally got to be too good of a deal for me, a doubter, to ignore.
I was actually boycotting any Microsoft console since the RROD shitshow but I don't get anything from holding that grudge and many things have changed ever since. On top of that it seems that STALKER is PC and XBOX exclusive and being one of my favorite franchises makes the decision even easier.
As soon as consoles are available I'm getting one.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I was actually boycotting any Microsoft console since the BSOD shitshow but I don't get anything from holding that grudge and many things have changed ever since. On top of that it seems that STALKER is PC and XBOX exclusive and being one of my favorite franchises makes the decision even easier.
As soon as consoles are available I'm getting one.

BSOD? You mean the RROD?

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Why current Sony hates japanese talent so much? Jesus, what a disaster to lose Kojima too

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm... not sure what this means?

Well the rumor was already known for some time now. Still, it's a pretty stark difference in terms of reaction.

Most of the reaction seems to be coming from PlayStation fans because of the ongoing Japan narrative stuff, lol.

I continue to be too tired to make heads or tails of these dynamics. Kojima had a project that utilized streaming... Microsoft are pushing into streaming. Seems like a pretty logical partnership. All of the other speculation and doomsaying is just white noise to me.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Between MLB and this I feel like Sony is going to start getting annoyed lol.
Honestly? Good. That's competition and MS is making these kinds of moves because Sony has been aggressive all of last gen and started this gen off being aggressive (as long as we ignore that it's mostly because MS actually shot themselves in the foot in 2013.) Seeing the fact that MS needed to actually compete and gain back some market lead to Game Pass and day one games on it as well as the expansion of their first party. I'd love to see what Sony does when forced to compete and be aggressive like this.

With competition, we the consumers mostly benefit.

🎵Don't Be So Serious🎵

But thanks for the laughs. Everyone please lay off poor Earvin x Hunter, the meme is almost 13 years old now and not everyone is going to know it.

I was hoping the 'cancel your unannounced game for Xbox' was just ridiculous enough to tip off even the uninitiated but I must've just missed the mark.
Tbh I'm entirely convinced that they knew what they were doing with that and wanted the entertainment too.

The meme is great though, I'm not even from the old place but somehow I still new it before coming to this site

VermillionA

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 29, 2019
Does that Jim guy hate japan that much? How can you let Kohima go? Lol whatever I hope he makes an awesome though I wish he would do something for the switch too
PlayStation doesn't own Kojima, he can work with whoever he wants. Just like PlayStation can choose which developers they want to work with.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Last edited: