• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox exclusives projects and publisher buyout are like Smash reveal now.
Hahaha this has been a fun month for the Xbox brand. It's the most excitement the industry has seen in a long time. I guess it all started with Bethesda. I still mostly care to see Ninja Theory's next game honestly. Wasn't there a rumor that Kojima Productions was working with them too? Oh boy.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
That's on them for making such baseless assumptions.
And? Seriously? It's amazing how people are trying to downplay this. Probably a coping mechanism honestly...

And no, it's really not a "baseless assumption" when Sony released a video like this.

Even they were trying to hype it up as something big.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Shinji Mikami x Hideo Kojima horror game.

Greatest idea ever? Creative disaster?

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
And? what does that have to do with anything? And stop acting like Sony fans haven't been saying, "Oh Sony is going to buy Kojima Studios", "Oh can't wait for the next Kojima game with Sony". This is an L.
That's a major loss for the fanboy mindset. Fanboys should learn that their dreams may not become a reality. I still don't see this as a major loss for Sony's brand, especially with how well they've treated Kojima with Death Stranding.

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
lol what? He signed a deal and delivered the product. He doesn't own Sony anything and Sony doesn't owe him anything past that.

Ueda has Epic funding, he'll be fine.
I know they don't, but still. And I don't think a deal with Epic is the same thing as working with Microsoft or Sony

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
kai4bNl.png

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Has my interest. Kojima is a legend. Still need to play Death's Stranding.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if Kojima is the kind of developer that would struggle to find a publisher that isn't a platform holder, but I do hope Microsoft is indeed going all in with plans to invest more heavily in japanese games. It would be nice to see more higher budget games that aren't from the usual publishers. Some of the people who recently started their own studios could really use Microsoft's funding for their next titles, like Toyama or Nakamura. They could also be a good potential partner for genDESIGN, assuming their deal with Epic will be a one time thing, and they'll go right back to shopping for a publisher once their next game is released.

I'm not sure if the japanese market will ever come around on the Xbox, but PC gaming is indeed on the rise there, and Microsoft could definitely establish itself as one of the bigger names there with Game Pass and a strong first party catalogue that appeals to people who aren't as well versed in western games.

Not sure how much that is worth for the company in general, it's not that big of a market in overall numbers, but when it comes to AA/AAA games, it's pretty safe to assume that whatever grabs that market will have pretty strong worldwide appeal. So working to have a stronger presence in Japan with the actual goal of being one of the major suppliers of that particular niche for global audiences doesn't sound too bad.

I think most Publishers would be willing to work with Kojima, but I don't think most non-platform holding Publishers would be willing to give him a blank check to do whatever project he wants. Video game publishers live and die by revenue from software, and while software revenue is also important to Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo - I think things like curating a diverse library to broaden consumer appeal to the platform itself is as equally important. I don't think EA or Activision would have been throwing their wallets at Kojima for him to make Death Stranding for example.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
This was ERA's plan all along to cause such a shitstir within the rumormill that Grubb's hand was forced to drop bombs.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
The console war stuff on era feels out of control lately.

I'm curious to see what his next game is! Death Stranding wasn't really for me but I've loved his previous work.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
That's a major loss for the fanboy mindset. Fanboys should learn that their dreams may not become a reality. I still don't see this as a major loss for Sony's brand, especially with how well they've treated Kojima with Death Stranding.
I'm just seeing it how it is, I don't care at the end of the day, I have a PS5 and I have gamepass on PC.

Was it you who told me a while Kojima was 100% making his next game with Sony or was it someone else?
Not me.

Redbarrel

Sep 10, 2020
Kojima productions exclusives for Xbox and Remedy's for Playstation. Oh my lol how far the tables have turned

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
And? Seriously? It's amazing how people are trying to downplay this. Probably a coping mechanism honestly...

And no, it's really not a "baseless assumption" when Sony released a video like this.

Even they were trying to hype it up as something big.

I don't think many people - if any - require a coping mechanism for the possibility that Kojima won't make a Playstation console exclusive game.

Reizzz

Jun 19, 2019
Microsoft making moves but Sony still making games people wanna play. Both seem to be in a great spot tbh.
Yeah but like my main interest is FF16 and I'm pumped for it. Just it's exhausting to hear Microsoft make such great moves (good for them) and Sony being very quiet. I need a major state of play in my life soon lol