• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
venturebeat.com

Hideo Kojima’s deal with Xbox reaches key milestone

Hideo Kojima and Microsoft are closer than ever to a deal to publish the Metal Gear Solid creator's next game for Xbox.
Hideo Kojima and Microsoft have signed a letter of intent that states the two parties intend to work out the details on a publishing agreement for a new Xbox game, according to sources familiar with the matter. This is a key step in the negotiations between the Metal Gear Solid creator and the Xbox company. This signifies that both parties have agreed to a generalized deal while lawyers continue hashing out the finer points.

Microsoft and Kojima's teams have spent months discussing a possible partnership, and now it is more likely than ever that those conversations will bear fruit. The deal is so close that Microsoft has begun preparing for what Kojima will need to make his new game.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Let's goooooo

giphy-downsized-large.gif

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Most interesting to me is when the author says that the partnership is more to cater to the creative mind of Kojima rather than to greenlight any one specific pitch

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Really reaching for scraps if you're reporting a letter of intent after the talks were already revealed. Don't really see the benefit when this is years away from something manifesting from it.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
"(Opening checkbook) now that's you've gotten Death Stranding out of your system..."

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy to see Xbox and Kojima together. I loved Death Stranding, really curious to see where this will go. Hopefully it's cloud native like Flight Sim, as in the cloud makes a lot of cool stuff possible, but it's actually playable offline.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
This is great news overall (coming to PC day 1 yay), but I just hope his future games will be more fun to play than what we got in Death Stranding.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's rather a weird description, sure that's how it goes but it's just weird reporting, deal or not. Can't we just get the game announcement instead when that comes.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most interesting to me is when the author says that the partnership is more to cater to the creative mind of Kojima rather than to greenlight any one specific pitch

Makes sense. Kojima is the kind of guy you want to write a blank cheque for and just let him do his own thing. Konami made the mistake of not letting him finish The Phantom Pain, but Microsoft isn't going to repeat that mistake.

Markratos

Hermen Hulst's Secret Account
Feb 15, 2020
It will be interesting if Kojima is doing also a PS5 exclusive. Not a lot of studios work for both companies at the same time.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
If it's a cloud game, it'll probably be the game he was working on with Stadia. Makes sense, interested to see what it's going to be.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
That's exactly what they want you to think! The truth has been abandoned.

insert dun dun duuuuun sounds

Or I dunno, some random crap about a random game that people were going bonkers just few days ago.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday: Konami & Bloober Team have signed a strategic cooperation agreement

Today: Hideo Kojima's deal with Xbox reaches key milestone

Soon: Konami & Xbox have signed a strategic cooperation agreement

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Era thread with official announcement is going to be legendary.
I think at this point, the news has been out in the open long enough for people to be mostly rational about it. I think most of the toxicity you'd expect from this announcement occurs from people who are convinced KojiPro is going to be a constant Sony partner, suddenly being told the next game won't be on PS5. I don't think there's a ton of people left to be shocked by this development.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
You know they're gonna let him do whatever the fuck he wants too. There Is literally nothing to lose for Xbox here.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
So it's going to be a while until anything new from him. :-/

have they just been working on DS:DC all this time?

The Omega Man

Oct 25, 2017
ehhh........

Honestly, I was kinda impressed with how quickly Kojima got Death Stranding off the ground when his deal with Sony started, about 3 years if I recall correctly.

Definitely playing the next Kojima game in the next 1 or 2 years, but 2023-2024 is reasonable.
there is a different he already had some concepts basic stuff done, he just needed an engine and it was his only project at that time, now he has multiple games brewing? I feel like this is not going to be a 3 years and done kind of thing.