• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I dunno if Sony can eat a 100$ drop in price just by removing the disc drive, I'm sure MS could do the same to Lockhart and drop the price to 200$
I'm basing that price point on the rumored manufacturing costs of $450 (which probably also was for the PS5 with disc drive since it wasn't announced yet and the article made no mention of it) so the one with disc drive should come in lower. And yes I know that even then it would still be sold at a loss, but that would be made back due to increased digital sales.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I would say, now that both console names have been revealed from both platform holders, I prefer Sony's naming scheme: PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 5 All Digital Edition vs Microsoft's Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X.

Sony makes it clear that both versions are the same generation and both have the same power. With Microsoft's consoles, that isn't necessarily the case, the Series S doesn't necessarily scream out "less powerful." The mainstream consumer is going to be confused when they see both the Series X and Series S on digital shelves come this holiday. This won't be the case with Sony's more streamlined SKU lineup.

I guess, what I am trying to say is they Sony has the better branding and cleaner lineup.

Thoughts?

I disagree. All Microsoft is doing is migrating their existing branding strategy of S = slim/entry-level and X = high-end/premium from the Xbox One generation to the Xbox Series generation.

By the time mainstream consumers are actually in the market for these new consoles, there will be Series S boxes next to Series X boxes on shelves and they will be clearly labeled just as the One S and One X boxes are now (S = HD gaming, 4K streaming; X = 4K gaming, 4K streaming).

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
"Robot" White? I don't get it, what is white about robots? I get Rose Gold or Jet Black but Robot White?

But yeah looks like Series S is confirmed.
Do you not look at this and think 'yeah that's robot white'?
39891228293_13c532f352_o.gif

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Classic case of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Xbox One controller was already great so I'm happy with this.

Though they are fixing it. They made it a little smaller, gave it USB-C, tweaked the bumpers and Dpad. I ain't complaining though.

I wonder what this will mean for Xbox Design Lab? Presumably the new controller won't be available on there for a bit but one would assume it would eventually replace the Xbox One controller form factor at some point but I wonder when and if they would essentially start over with the designs you can choose from?

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I'm basing that price point on the rumored manufacturing costs of $450, which probably also was for the PS5 with disc drive so the one with disc drive should come in lower. And yes I know that even then it would still be sold at a loss, but that would be made back due to increased digital sales.

That's a fair assumption! Though that being said I do believe that the Series S under the same philosophy could MSRP around 200 or 250. I can't see why MS would build a graphically less-capable console to sell around 20% less of the cost of a disc-free PS5 but stranger things have happened!

Regardless, I'm in the market of Series S being 200-300, even if tomwarren says I'm wrong, predictions don't cost a dime :P

It's probably safe to assume that Xbox series S will have hdmi 2.1 and VRR?
Yes, I think that's a safe assumption.

Mr. Lemming

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna hold off on getting new controllers but Robot White is pretty slick looking so... have another $60, Microsoft.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
XSX isn't gonna be $100 more lmao. My prediction:
PS5 & XSX: $499
PS5 DE: $399
XSS: $299 no controller included
Yeah, I agree with this. Still skeptical of the "controller not included" rumor though. The cost to build an Xbox controller at this point has to be dirt cheap. People are worried about the Series S name confusing people, but imagine not bundling a controller with a console?

felixdat

Alt account
Banned
Jul 2, 2020
I dont think having a price advantage over PS5 is going to do much, it hasn't this gen (xbox always being 100 cheaper) so not sure if it would make much difference next gen. Unless we get another 599 problem loll.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
It isn't about the price of the disc drive, but locking that person into purchasing all titles from their own marketplace. That along is HUGE and warranting the $100 price drop.
But how many ppl are already buying entirely digital NOW on ps4 when they can buy physical? A $100 savings isn't needed. People already buy digital

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
I'm kinda whatever about the name. People seem to know Apple Iphone names pretty well and that to me is more confusing when it gets off the numbered ones.
As a 'casual' when it comes to phones I have absolutely no idea what the most recent iPhone is called.

Numbers make it easy but microsoft have chosen different.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, I agree with this. Still skeptical of the "controller not included" rumor though. The cost to build an Xbox controller at this point has to be dirt cheap. People are worried about the Series S name confusing people, but imagine not bundling a controller with a console?
It's a lot easier when the Xbox One controller is 100% compatible with the Series S, unlike the PS4 controllers on PS5. That being said, I still don't buy the no controller thing.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I hope it has a disc drive. $25 savings isn't much in the long run and the price conscious consumer who normally waits for $100 price drop would be more included if they know they can buy discounted games at retailers and resell them

It won't have a disc drive, I can't see it mattering hugely. This is aimed at the mass market, a large and growing chunk of whom are already all digital. People who buy and trade games regularly are going to be big videogame fans with limited budgets, which probably isn't a huge number of people, not enough to potentially add 10% onto the sticker price for.

Besides, if you're a budget-conscious gamer, there's always GamesPass.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
If this thing looks like the Series X but shorter (ala gamecube) I will have no choice but to go with this one.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
At this moment I would only worry about if there's any other product from Microsoft or any other company that uses the same symbol as in "Xbox Series X|S".
In alphabet, first comes S then X. Also in that manual of use, we only see an Xbox Series X.
There are 2 (or more) cases:
1) It's a top quality fake and they forgot to add Xbox Series S design.
2) Xbox Series S has same design but just different components.

There are many possible cases and I believe more in 2nd situation I wrote.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah I have to admit I'm skeptical about that too. The Xbox One controller apparently cost like $15 to manufacture and I don't see why this controller would be significantly more than that.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
No

No way you save$100 with the disc less version. What's a disc drive cost sony? $10? You'll save$50 at most

The argument is the money lost on hardware is a long term investment on software revenue. If Sony gets 30% of every digital sale and there is no option to buy physical, they make up that money over time,

But I do agree that $100 less would be surprising. Pretty big loss on a 399 PS5 when you factor in shipping/distribution and any cut the retailer takes, on top of BOM.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
Why are they so bad at naming things? Just awful.
I don't see a problem with naming, why people stick to much with it? There are chinese smartphone like (just an example as a joke): Xiaomi 10 Max Lite Pro or a real one ... Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G.
You will buy a console to play, why name matters much for you? If someone buys the wrong product later, then it's more of consumer problem. Also Xbox didn't went with numbers because it was Xbox vs PS2, and Xbox 4 vs PS5 wouldn't sound well.

Edit: I'm amazed about how people complain about this small things but don't complain about bigger ones.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
Yep. All One accessories work on the S/X. Controllers, headsets, fight sticks, etc

Thanks. Now i understand the speculation of the series s having no controller. Still seems unlikely but damn if they could make the thing $250 cheaper than a series x....
I have three or four xbox one controllers.I would grab a series x for my girlfriends son without a seconds thought if it was $200/250 USD.

Oct 27, 2017
This is aimed at the mass market, a large and growing chunk of whom are already all digital. People who buy and trade games regularly are going to be big videogame fans with limited budgets, which probably isn't a huge number of people, not enough to potentially add 10% onto the sticker price for.
I don't think that's a very accurate statement for low and middle class families buying one console for their kids or themselves imo. Trading games is still very big and simply having the option is huge. We will see next gen with digital only models how well those do. If they don't do as well as people here think, and even if digital keeps being around 50%, that would lead me to believe that consumers may be fine with digital but not as their only option.

it just seems like an unnecessary thing to cut imo.