• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The versions tested were 1.01 on the PlayStation 4 systems and 1.0.0.2 on the Xbox One systems.

Xbox One X renders at a native resolution of 3200x1800.

PS4 Pro renders at a native resolution of 2560x1440 and downsamples from this resolution when outputting at 1080p with forced supersampling disabled.

PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080.

Xbox One renders at a native resolution of 1600x900.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
yeesh, that driving sequence really tanking. guess streaming in assets is a problem? Also figured this would be 60fps w/ that kinda fidelity

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Between the uneven performance and plethora is bugs and glitches in it's current state, this remaster should be avoided until substantially patched.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite understand why the PS4 Pro version performs so much worse than the regular version. Sure it is using higher resolution, but still... You'd expect maybe some slight deviations, not a 33% gap in cutscenes.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Backwards compatibility and original version for comparison as well:

It's why I believe it's still important for Xbox BC team to enhance some BC 360 and OG Xbox games that have received Remasters/Remakes. Enhancing this game in 4k, with increased filtering, machine learning HDR, and the preserving of original assets and effects would still make it the definitive console version. Same would go for Halo CE, Halo 2, Bioshock Collection, Batman: Arkham (Knight, City, and Origins), Bayonetta, Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection, Saints Row 3, etc...

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
It's why I believe it's still important for Xbox BC team to enhance some BC 360 and OG Xbox games that have received Remasters/Remakes. Enhancing this game in 4k, with increased filtering, machine learning HDR, and the preserving of original assets and effects would still make it the definitive console version. Same would go for Halo CE, Halo 2, Bioshock Collection, Batman: Arkham (Knight, City, and Origins), Bayonetta, Assassin's Creed: Ezio Collection, etc...

The back compat version is incredible aside from the low resolution. If they enhance it, I'd have everything I want.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Looks pretty bad. Performance on the Pro needs to be patched before I'd even consider giving this a second look.

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
this doesn't bode well for Mafia 1 Remake.
I keep forgetting it's Hangar 13 remastering these games...

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
This hasn't been handled well, it seems like they were basically forced to release something in May while the collection was probably ready to be released in late August.
Hopefully Mafia 1 remake won't have such many issues since it's the only game I want to play and plan to buy. I liked Mafia 2 a lot but a simple (half baked) remaster is not enough to make me buy and play it again while Mafia 3 was just a bad game, one of the most boring and repetitive open world ever conceived.

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Still surprised to see remaster of PS3/360 games at 30fps.
Due to them being single or dual threaded engines build for 7th gen hardware with three cored CPU's. Tested both Mafia 2 and Saints Row 3 and they're mostly single threaded and use one CPU core at a steady 80% to 90% usage. Even today it's hard to multithread game engines without sacrificing game-logic. Don't expect miracles next-gen.

#Carmackwasright

Last edited:

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Due to them being single or dual threaded engines build for 7th gen hardware with three cored CPU's. Tested both Mafia 2 and Saints Row 3 and they're mostly single threaded and use one CPU core at a steady 80% to 90% usage. Even today it's hard to multithread game engines without sacrificing game-logic. Don't expect miracles next-gen.

#Carmackwasright
Thanks for the explanation.

OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

#Carmackwasright
What type of miracles are people expecting next-gen?

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
What is their current state ? Did they get patched / improved from launch ?

I'm not sure if they ever got fully sorted out because I finished both before the patches finished. On the PS4 the first game got up to patch 1.03 and Shenmue 2 got to 1.04.

The notes say basically the same things. Fixed graphical issues, audio quality improvements and various performance and stability improvements.

I do remember at launch it had some sound problems similar to this Mafia 2 remaster. So hopefully that and the performance problems will be first up to be fixed.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I just reinstalled the classic version on steam given all the bugs and issues people are reporting, and it has given me all the DLC free in that version too (99% sure I didn't have any of it). Playing at 1440p 60fps at max settings, the game still looks wonderful.

man the initial call of duty mission is such a misstep tho, starts the game off on completely the wrong note 😑

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
What type of miracles are people expecting next-gen?
That 8 core 16 thread CPU's even at 3.8 Ghz will not automatically yield great performance or interesting use of the power in contrast with current gen. Of course it will offer a performance boost on software that already enables multicore support, but as you've noticed with these older titles, throwing more cores and threads at it does not automatically boost performance. Multithread engine and game-logic design had always been really really difficult. Engine guru John Carmack mentioned this in an old talk that is still relevant today. He mentioned that multicore CPU's do not necessarily solve a lot of technical problems, it usually adds more. It's just a reality of modern CPU design, that engine programmers have to cope with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
litebrite

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That 8 core 16 thread CPU's even at 3.8 Ghz will not automatically yield great performance or interesting use of the power in contrast with current gen. Of course it will offer a performance boost on software that already enables multicore support, but as you've noticed with these older titles, throwing more cores and threads at it does not automatically boost performance. Multithread engine and game-logic design had always been really really difficult. Engine guru John Carmack mentioned this in an old talk that is still relevant today. He mentioned that multicore CPU's do not necessarily solve a lot of technical problems, it usually adds more. It's just a reality of modern CPU design, that engine programmers have to cope with.
Which is why Xbox's BC team for BC 360 and OG Xbox games have been phenomenal in maintaining the original state of the game while being able to boost everything else without adding more technical problems and often times fixing older technical problems such as frame pacing, screen tearing, and unstable framerates.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
God, this looks terrible.

This is literally just driving through a tunnel.

8ImAbRi.jpg

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Both PS4 versions seem to be worse off than their Xbox counterparts.

There's already a ton of glitch/game breaking videos for the PC version on youtube as well. Looks like very little effort was put into the port.

g7Fdb8I.jpg

Sunnz

Apr 16, 2019
Mafia 2, normal PS4

I'm onto chapter 9 so far.

Overall it looks good, it's not a remake or a remaster, it's mainly a higher res with some texture and graphical updates, almost nothing else has changed, if anything some areas are worse such as physx.

The two biggest gripes are the fps drops when driving, it's so bad and noticeable, you turn and it drops to 20,very noticeable.
The other is the audio in cutscenes when wearing headphones. Just the voices only, as they come from the left side only.

So far I have not experienced much else except a few silly graphical bugs and such.
You can tell it was not checked properly but still not too bad.
I just wish we had some of the cut content added back in and it was 60fps
Also the police seem to be dumbed down, don't chase or stop you if speeding or run red light.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Pro seems to be using double buffered Vsync, that flat 20FPS line is a dead giveaway.
Good news is that it means performance can be improved massively with just turning on triple buffering as the GPU is idling a lot doing nothing when it drops to 20FPS.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Also the police seem to be dumbed down, don't chase or stop you if speeding or run red light.
They will definitely come after you for speeding. I paid a ticket last night. 😅 I don't remember if they came after you for running a red light in the original release like in Mafia 1 but I have been doing that and they don't care.