HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I think they are going to eliminate the need to go to Bifrost at all, you could unlock a new item or something and the realms could have parallel design so they would overlap (they already kinda do, but they could even more), and you could jump between them on the fly. You could have some nice puzzles that way, too.

Kratos just punches the air and rips a hole in space and time to his next destination.

Dec 8, 2018
The SSD absolute focus from all fronts after XSX reveal was really magical for them, a masterfully executed spin.
Many kudos to Sony PR team.

We'll see how it will translate with actual games very soon anyway.

Guess who is back downplaying the ssd once again. It's Sony PR and spin now again is it. You should talk to Matt about it perhaps and how much of a spin it is.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
This is very important. What is INSTANT on PS5 (say, 0.1-0.2 seconds) will take 0.2-0.4 seconds on XSX.
This is going by theoretical SSD speeds, while PS5 does a lot of extra stuff to actually reach that speed, XSX doesn't do as much, ie, PS5's practical speed will be closer to its theoretical one than SXS is.
Also, even if this is the end result, double the speed isn't much with loading screens, but in, say, a game where the maximum speed in which you can traverse the world is balanced around how fast can the data be streamed(like most open world games right now), what would be the solution? Moving at 50% slower speed in the XSX version? Lowering the data(models/textures) to keep up when moving at top speed? Unless they balance around XSX, differences will be noticeable.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, its obviously hyperbole but it does make me wonder about games that are developed first and foremost for the PS5 with no thought of any other system. Then later decided to be ported to the SeriesX (there have been a few this gen).

I didnt think about this but thats an interesting point. With the midgen refreshes, Sony can up the TF and bring about better resolutions, RT and effects while still having the 5.5GB/s baseline. MS can go ham with the IO for a midgen upgrade along with TF but their games will still be tailored to work on 2.5GB/s and what ever their increase is. May not be as big of an issue as they will still have to be tragetting PC and they cant rely on the faster IO baseline anyway?
I didn't think about that either. Very smart move on Sony's part.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
The SSD absolute focus from all fronts after XSX reveal was really magical for them, a masterfully executed spin.

Its been the absolute focus since first Wired article. What are you talking about?

EDIT: banned again. Ah well, never mind.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
I didnt think about this but thats an interesting point. With the midgen refreshes, Sony can up the TF and bring about better resolutions, RT and effects while still having the 5.5GB/s baseline. MS can go ham with the IO for a midgen upgrade along with TF but their games will still be tailored to work on 2.5GB/s and what ever their increase is. May not be as big of an issue as they will still have to be tragetting PC and they cant rely on the faster IO baseline anyway?

I pointed this out a few months back.. 😔

sleepr

Banned for misusing pronouns feature
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Yes a masterfully executed spin...

There is nothing "PR" about the PS5 IO solution.

It's really, really fucking fast.
There are certainly things developers can do with the PS5 that can't be done the same, as fast, or as well on any other consumer hardware at the moment. That's also a fact.

The PS5's IO is a big deal that will lead to actual results in games.
I'm saying it.

It's so strange to see gamers downplaying technology that will help make games better. That this tech exists is an objective good, there is no downside, only upside. There is no other consumer solution that compares to this setup, and we should want companies to push the boundaries of technology for our benefit.
There is no comparison.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the SX's IO or the speed you can get on a PC, and moving to any SSD based solution as a baseline is an incredible upgrade over the past that all games and gamers will benefit from.

But the PS5's IO is on another level. It does basically everything significantly faster than any competition in the consumer space. It is easily and by far the largest difference between the two next gen consoles.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched Cerny's presentation, Cherno's reaction to it, read some stuff as well. What could I watch/read to get the gist of the direction MS has chosen? I was wondering how Xbox's architecture compares to PS5's architecture.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Yes a masterfully executed spin...

To be fair, Matt also said:

As I have said before, I expect the difference in third party titles to be modest, as they can't be designed around a faster solution. Maybe the PS5's IO advantages will be as noticeable as the SX's TF advantages in those titles.

That doesn't make the talk about the SSD "spin" but I feel that quote shouldn't be left out.

Raven Prime

Oct 31, 2017
I've watched Cerny's presentation, Cherno's reaction to it, read some stuff as well. What could I watch/read to get the gist of the direction MS has chosen? I was wondering how Xbox's architecture compares to PS5's architecture.

www.youtube.com

Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

This is it. The video you've been waiting for - we've got the complete specification of the Xbox Series X from top to bottom, we've been hands-on with the un...

www.youtube.com

Xbox Series X | The real next gen Game changers! Let's Talk

With Sony keeping mum, Microsoft have been making hay with all kinds of info and brand building. Beyond the 12 Teraflops, I take a deep dive into the real th...

These will get you started, but pretty sure there is enough to be found also going more into the comparisons between the two.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I just realized that the inevitable God of War sequel for PS5 will be mindblowing; just imagine using the Bifröst to smoothly and spectacularly travel between the realms with barely a hitch.

HNNNNGGGGGG
Could be something like Kratos raises the Bifröst and Atreus shoot it with a magic arrow infused with the travel rune and it glows and ta-da they're on another realm. With that they could add travelling as a mechanic to reach some chests and areas.

Yaqza

Oct 27, 2017
www.youtube.com

Xbox Series X Complete Specs + Ray Tracing/Gears 5/Back-Compat/Quick Resume Demo Showcase!

This is it. The video you've been waiting for - we've got the complete specification of the Xbox Series X from top to bottom, we've been hands-on with the un...

www.youtube.com

Xbox Series X | The real next gen Game changers! Let's Talk

With Sony keeping mum, Microsoft have been making hay with all kinds of info and brand building. Beyond the 12 Teraflops, I take a deep dive into the real th...

These will get you started, but pretty sure there is enough to be found also going more into the comparisons between the two.
Thanks!

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Kratos just punches the air and rips a hole in space and time to his next destination.
Maybe a scene where
Thor begins to lose the fight against Kratos, then he takes Atreus and kidnaps him to Asgard. Ideally you'd think "now Kratos need the travel rune to Asgard", but no, Kratos enters Spartan Rage and rip the fabric of reality and makes a portal to Asgard. Thor looks in disbelief and Ragnarök begins.
I believe that would be a GOTY moment.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Matt also said:

That doesn't make the talk about the SSD "spin" but I feel that quote shouldn't be left out.
Yeah, like others have said, like you said that doesnt make what Sony did with the SSD, and ppl taking about it spin.

If we take that quote by Matt at absolute face value.....it means both machines will be closer than any console before...like him and others with info have been saying.

But some ppl want to see things differently. That quote and similar by him should stop any console warring.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
People who think that the hype around Sony's solution is "PR spin" are in for a rude awakening once we see their first party stuff, I feel. GT7, HZD2 and Spider-Man 2...I can only imagine how amazing they're going to look.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I must admit, the tech in the PS5 looks fantastic but I really want to see the UE5 demo running on Series X, just to actually see what we are dealing with. Personally if feels many people are focusing around the PS5 SSD speed and ignoring all of the other potentially massive changes that the Series X has as well. This is not to discount the obviously great tech Sony is working on but people do seem a little quick to discount MS on this side. Maybe its just some fanboys doing what they do but I do think most people are underestimating now only what MS can do but also what Sony can do.

Hopefully we will get a better viewpoint in the coming weeks, since all we have really seen is trailers and tech demos. Seeing actually gameplay is always the solid first step.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I must admit, the tech in the PS5 looks fantastic but I really want to see the UE5 demo running on Series X, just to actually see what we are dealing with. Personally if feels many people are focusing around the PS5 SSD speed and ignoring all of the other potentially massive changes that the Series X has as well. This is not to discount the obviously great tech Sony is working on but people do seem a little quick to discount MS on this side. Maybe its just some fanboys doing what they do but I do think most people are underestimating now only what MS can do but also what Sony can do.

Hopefully we will get a better viewpoint in the coming weeks, since all we have really seen is trailers and tech demos. Seeing actually gameplay is always the solid first step.
I don't think this is going to happen. You may see it on PC when UE5 releases, though. Epic said the demo scales hard with GPU and NXGamer noticed some pop-in on the demo, even with the mighty PS5 SSD. What does this tell? Nothing, the engine is not even ready. I believe the best comparison would be seeing first party UE5 games on the future, maybe Days Gone 2 vs anything from MS.

Rabalder.

Dec 8, 2018
but what does it mean for 3rd party titles, which is where the majority of sales are.
Your guess is as good as mine. What we do know is that Sony has like 7/8? 10 million+ sellers this gen which is a huge deal. First party titles aren't some niche market that only hardcore gamers are interested in.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
It's been stressed that PS5 has been built to completely eliminate load times (or have it be sub-second), while XSX hasn't so there will be some differences there. Oversimplifying the SSD and I/O solution difference, you'd expect Xbox to handle the same things in roughly 2-3 seconds. The question then, is why would Microsoft choose their first load time demo to be a game that takes 8 seconds, and Sony have one that takes 0.8 seconds. I mean it can't be that extreme surely.

Microsoft's State of Decay demo showed a 5x faster load while Sony's Spider Man demo showed a 10x faster load. That's pretty much what you'd expect looking at the raw numbers.

I actually really like Microsoft's demo because it shows someone loading in and playing while the One X version is loading. It still doesn't feel next gen fast but it's more of a back compat showcase.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think this is going to happen. You may see it on PC when UE5 releases, though. Epic said the demo scales hard with GPU and NXGamer noticed some pop-in on the demo, even with the mighty PS5 SSD. What does this tell? Nothing, the engine is not even ready. I believe the best comparison would be seeing first party UE5 games on the future, maybe Days Gone 2 vs anything from MS.
I am sure Epic has had it running on Series X, just to make sure the engine works on teh system. Maybe they just cannot show it or MS does not want it shown yet but its only a matter of time before the UE5 Tech stuff appears on Series X. Personally, if it showed a better res but maybe lesser details due to the reliance on SSD, I would be perfectly fine. Its not like one consoles is going to massively suck and the other will dominate. The specs are so similar, I just cannot see either having a massive boost over the other.

Lys Skygge

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Arizona

15%-20% increase in graphics isn't exactly interesting. It'll be similar to what we currently have with the Pro and X1X. When it comes to graphics, the PS5 and XSX are extremely close. But Sony's I/O and SSD solutions are things that have never been doe before, so it's a bit more fun to speculate.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
15%-20% increase in graphics isn't exactly interesting. It'll be similar to what we currently have with the Pro and X1X. When it comes to graphics, the PS5 and XSX are extremely close. But Sony's I/O and SSD solutions are things that have never been doe before, so it's a bit more fun to speculate.
I guess so. I think most of us are in speculation mode because we don't really have access to it yet. I do feel many are discounting what MS is bringing to the party but we really won't know until we all get to play some new games! Damn this wait is so long lol.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
I am sure Epic has had it running on Series X, just to make sure the engine works on teh system. Maybe they just cannot show it or MS does not want it shown yet but its only a matter of time before the UE5 Tech stuff appears on Series X. Personally, if it showed a better res but maybe lesser details due to the reliance on SSD, I would be perfectly fine. Its not like one consoles is going to massively suck and the other will dominate. The specs are so similar, I just cannot see either having a massive boost over the other.
Yeah, the engine runs on the XSX, that's Epic whole point of scalability. We will see the same demo on the XSX? I doubt since it's too attached to the PS5 marketing somehow, but if we see it, will it matter? I think the end result is the biggest thing to compare because the engine is just not ready.

Chille

Jan 7, 2018
Prediction for 3rd party: game has higher res and better ray tracing on xbox. Game loads faster on ps5.

And every thread will be a shit show of people arguing about high resolution vs diminishing returns, depending on which plastic box they bought.
Tbh not enough difference in power for resolution differences that matter but maybe a more stable frame rate on xsx

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018

I'm sure Sony's focus was always on being fast first and power after that.

Oct 31, 2019
Is this posted before?
ck6yrfY.mp4

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been stressed that PS5 has been built to completely eliminate load times (or have it be sub-second), while XSX hasn't so there will be some differences there. Oversimplifying the SSD and I/O solution difference, you'd expect Xbox to handle the same things in roughly 2-3 seconds. The question then, is why would Microsoft choose their first load time demo to be a game that takes 8 seconds, and Sony have one that takes 0.8 seconds. I mean it can't be that extreme surely.
Is this a serious question? Because if it is I'll tell you that the load time demo MS showed was a back-compat demo with no modification to code, meaning it was not taking full advantage of the SSD.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people get too focused on the raw speed difference and don't think enough about the IO difference.

From my understanding the IO on the PS5 is seamless, developers just ask for data and the system loads it and decompresses it straight to RAM.

They don't have to think how to use it, it just works.

Of course they need to work out situations and data sets that can make use of such high IO but I'm sure they will.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man is pretty much perfect for showing off faster streaming speed, I believe on the PS4 they cap tile loading at 20MB/s, removing that cap on a SSD is going to show huge improvements, maybe Microsoft's game isn't steamed in the same way that Spider-Man and most open world games are.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Is this a serious question? Because if it is I'll tell you that the load time demo MS showed was a back-compat demo with no modification to code, meaning it was not taking full advantage of the SSD.

I think you could create dozens of clickbait articles solely based on the FUD and misinformation that has been spread in this thread

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Microsoft does it the other way around.
Marketing and game presentation to hype the new system, and then the tech deep dive.
Sony did start with the tech deep dive.

Oct 31, 2019
OK this is big.
www.vg247.com

Developers making Xbox Series X games will learn to address PS5's SSD advantage, says ex-Xbox lead

Developers working on multiplatform games will find a way to get around Xbox Series X's relatively slower SSD compared to PS5's.
Developers working on multiplatform games will find a way to get around Xbox Series X's relatively slower SSD compared to PS5's.

Microsoft's William Stillwell, who currently manages the company's Mixed Reality program, spent years at Xbox working on backwards compatibility, xCloud, and Xbox platform services.

Stillwell was recently a guest on the Iron Lords Podcast, where he was asked about the PS5's impressive SSD tech, how faster it is compared to Xbox Series X's solution, and whether it'll even matter.
"I'll say two things with that. One, I understand that it's a marketing point and a high point – and I think I said in the last podcast we did, I'm really impressed with what they've done in the architecture with their drive and I think they'll be able to do really cool stuff with it," said Stillwell.

"I also don't think it's as impressive over what you'll be able to do [with Xbox Series X] and so I have high confidence in that team. I will also say – look I reserve the right to wake up smarter tomorrow and someone may prove me wrong and we'll learn. The one thing I have learned is [to] never underestimate game developers' [ability] to take advantage of something and work around it, but that works on both sides.
"So the ability of a game developer to look and say, 'Ok, I am building this game and I wanna have seamless transition with no loading screens on [PS5], but I am also gonna wanna sell on Xbox, what am I gonna do to manage that kinda thing?'

"Like, that will be the tricks and the techniques, so – I am just making this up – maybe there are elevators in the Xbox Series X version and not on the [PS5] version. I don't know yet how they're gonna address it, but they'll learn to address it and they will figure out ways to work around it."

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Next skyrim has elevators on the XsX ;-)

I think those developers will find a middle-ground that suits both systems.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Microsoft's State of Decay demo showed a 5x faster load while Sony's Spider Man demo showed a 10x faster load. That's pretty much what you'd expect looking at the raw numbers.

I actually really like Microsoft's demo because it shows someone loading in and playing while the One X version is loading. It still doesn't feel next gen fast but it's more of a back compat showcase.

State of decay demo don't use DirectStorage & Hardware decompression so we can except even faster load time I think.

Huh, that seems pretty late.

Yeah I just wait for their Storage/Terrain mapping efficiency solution and RT Hardware solution.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I think you could create a news station solely based on the FUD and misinformation that has been spread in this thread
I agree. So many people have been conflating SSD speed without factoring in PS5 removing bottlenecks for IO and than there's the crazy overvaluing of Teraflops. Lots of bad information all around.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I love how Sony flipped the narrative of this gen already and they haven't even shown the box. Haven't seen anyone mention 12 teraflops in a loooooong time. This gen is gonna be an interesting one
Sony didn't do anything.

They publicized a GDC talk they were going to do anyway and then after some backlash from that the dust settled and devs from all corners started to slowly explain what we were looking at.

Eventually due to the silence and stagnation we are in terms of game announcements (and for good reason) stuff like correction and people eventually understanding what Sony was trying to say had more time in the limelight.

So much time that even those that made mistakes in assuming what the PS5 could is trying to do were corrected and eventually even apologized.

Sony since that "Road to PS5" hasn't said or done anything, people just instead figured it all out and realized how interesting the PS5's I/O really is.

If the PS5 reveal shows even more amazing stuff then the UE5 demo then it will likely anchor even more into people's subconscious.

With so many praise being said about it from all directions then like the saying says if there is smoke there is a fire but a fire in the good sense in terms of positive feedback from the devs they were trying to please with their design.