tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
A good opportunity to compare that article ( and how some people reacted to regional pricing on ERA when it came to steam ) to this one in 2018 :
www.polygon.com

Steam developers speak: Maximum profits for Valve, minimum responsibilities

Valve likes to take a cut of sales, but it doesn’t like to be responsible for the store
with the reaction whe could find here
Pryme sadly didn't seem to care that much about the advatange of regional pricing at the time :'(

Lol

Funny how most of the responses here are sneering at the devs and the genuine issues they face.
The sheer amount of games coming out, the pricing race to the bottom and the lack of promotion is killing indie devs.

I hope we remember this when devs and publishers turn to MTX to survive. That's what happened with the iOS appstore.
Apparently then it was pricing races to the bottom

Oct 25, 2017
with the exception of MS Store , Do people realize that a whole continental like Africa consisting of 54 countries ( except South Africa I guess ) , and Most If not all of a Major region like Caribbean consisting of 26 countries , Got their First exposure to Regional pricing in PC digital stores from Epic Games store

Some of those comments that say " the Author should had just said Egypt " seems to me they ignore the existence that Africa and the Caribbeans and any country not fortunate enough to have regional pricing anywhere else

Last edited:

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
with the exception of MS Store , Do people realize that a whole continental like Africa consisting of 54 countries ( except South Africa I guess ) , and Most If not all of a Major region like Caribbean consisting of 26 countries , Got their First exposure to Regional pricing in PC digital stores from Epic Games store

Some of those comments that say " the Author should had just said Egypt " seems to me that they ignore that Africa and the Caribbeans exists , along with the countries that wasnt fortune enough to have regional pricing on Steam

People in this thread recognise that EGS regional prices is in more countries than Steam but it's a nuanced discussion because in a lot of the countries they are both in Steam had cheaper prices.

The title of the article is not accurate. If the author had done more research and shown how it is for different countries around the world on each storefront and fixed the headline I think there would be a different reaction in this thread. An article like that would be interesting. I mean let's not forget that if Valve didn't push for regional pricing on their store we wouldn't have seen it on the EGS (imo).

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People in this thread recognise that EGS regional prices is in more countries than Steam but it's a nuanced discussion because in a lot of the countries they are both in Steam had cheaper prices.

The title of the article is not accurate. If the author had done more research and shown how it is for different countries around the world on each storefront and fixed the headline I think there would be a different reaction in this thread. An article like that would be interesting. I mean let's not forget that if Valve didn't push for regional pricing on their store we wouldn't have seen it on the EGS (imo).

The EGS didn't even launch with regional pricing in most regions until we asked for it. Which is a pretty telling thing when you consider the head of the store is Ukrainian (so he knows that it's an important thing, and now brags about its implementation, etc) and that he'd talked about how important regional pricing is back when he didn't work for Epic (early SteamSpy days).
I've discussed my issue with the article here before. There's a lot of context that's missing. Another thing that bothers me is that only now people talk about regional pricing, but before it was an evil thing Valve did (remember the "forced discounts" claim Polygon published? I do). I'm all for better regional pricing all over the world. I live in a "developing country" and we have been able to buy lots of stuff we'd have otherwise missed out on thanks to Valve working on that.
But hey, I remember that lots of people in this forum thought it was OK to brag about buying stuff from our regional eShop without caring that Nintendo (or the publishers who do set good regional pricing here) might take issue with it and decide to just give us 1:1 US prices (like most big publishers are doing now everywhere). Seems like it's only important when it helps someone make their point in a discussion, but not when it actually affects people, right?