• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
I'm about halfway through the campaign and it's officially the best looking next-gen title I've played. Looks absolutely incredible. Some of the cleanest PQ I've ever seen, especially at 60fps.

50733406428_4574488e81_o.png

50734132691_ce8dc4e49c_o.png

Microsoft fucked up not promoting the hell out of this and making it ready for the Series X launch. This is a next-gen showcase title.
The thing is, this is how it looks if you have the TV setup. The image quality is very impressive in-game and cutscenes. No artifacting at all. It's seriously one of the best looking console games I've seen.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The thing is, this is how it looks if you have the TV setup. The image quality is very impressive in-game and cutscenes. No artifacting at all. It's seriously one of the best looking console games I've seen.
Yeah I can echo this. It's visuals, image quality and flawless performance that makes me think I'm playing on my RTX3080, not a console. It's pretty insane. The cutscenes too. And when you think these consoles have only released a month ago.. just imagine what's to come..
Is it running natively on Series X, or is it just a BC upscaled Xbox One game?
Native. Takes full advantage of XSX.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah I can echo this. It's visuals, image quality and flawless performance that makes me think I'm playing on my RTX3080, not a console. It's pretty insane. The cutscenes too. And when you think these consoles have only released a month ago.. just imagine what's to come..

Well it pretty much is the PC version running at near 4K and 60fps, the Series X hardware on paper can do that if you looking at how it runs on similarly specced PC rigs. Except for the low FoV it's still stuck at though.

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
People have to keep one thing in mind though:
This game is barely scratching the surface of what the Series X or any next-gen console is truly capable of. This is a cross-gen game!

It's almost frigthening to think about Hellblade 2 gameplay, or heck Gears 6 running on UE5... I've been saying it for a long time now, but our minds will be blown away this generation.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing this right now and just like Gears 5 before, I'm still blown away at the fidelity I'm seeing running it at near max settings (4 global illumination ray count) 60 fps with dynamic 4k with a 1080 Ti. This same PC struggles with Cyberpunk with a mix of settings at 1440p and I think Gears still looks better while running significantly better too.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard for me to play with a controller lol. It looks great on Series X, and I might have to start using k/m on that platform, or just keep playing on pc. Maxing 4k settings is pretty freaking awesome.

Oct 25, 2017
Was playing on my laptop with LG CX as monitor

Could only get 25ish FPS on Ultra @ 4k with tons of slowdowns so I had to lower it to high settings at 1440p where it runs about 60fps with lots of slowdowns =/

Wish I knew which setting to lower to get less slowdown, there are so many settings to adjust lol

I have a 2060 and i7

And the loading times really stand out after playing nothing but PS5 for a month lol, my PC games aren't on the SSD due to size

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Could only get 25ish FPS on Ultra @ 4k with tons of slowdowns so I had to lower it to high settings at 1440p where it runs about 60fps with lots of slowdowns =/

Wish I knew which setting to lower to get less slowdown, there are so many settings to adjust lol

I have a 2060 and i7

And the loading times really stand out after playing nothing but PS5 for a month lol, my PC games aren't on the SSD due to size
Have you tried using dynamic res? Works fine for me and I honestly don't notice the res drops unless I actually go looking for it

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
NX gamer shows it's rock solid 60fps locked all with ultra+ settings. Lowest res when things get most demanding is 1800p O.o that's amazing

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017

I have a 2060 and i7

Set a minimum and maximum framerate of 60 and let the game optimise resolution on the fly for you. This will get you a locked 60fps assuming your CPU is upto speed ("i7" means nothing but it isn't CPU demanding so you should be fine). If you feel this looks too soft you can always increase the sharpness slider but I doubt you'll notice the resolution drop in motion. The temporal reconstruction looks really good.

High feels like a good compromise for a 2060.

Try setting variable rate shading to balanced and disabling screen space global illumination, both should give you a good performance benefit.

Oct 25, 2017
Set a minimum and maximum framerate of 60 and let the game optimise resolution on the fly for you. This will get you a locked 60fps assuming your CPU is upto speed ("i7" means nothing but it isn't CPU demanding so you should be fine). If you feel this looks too soft you can always increase the sharpness slider but I doubt you'll notice the resolution drop in motion. The temporal reconstruction looks really good.

High feels like a good compromise for a 2060.

Try setting variable rate shading to balanced and disabling screen space global illumination, both should give you a good performance benefit.

I finished the campaign, the framerate mostly held at 60-80fps but went down to the teens every now and then, maybe it was the CPU throttling as the temp spiked up....it is a laptop after all so I know the GPU isn't the same as a desktop 2060

It still looked fantastic in 1440p with most things on high

Have they announced if more DLC campaign is coming?

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I finished the campaign, the framerate mostly held at 60-80fps but went down to the teens every now and then, maybe it was the CPU throttling as the temp spiked up....it is a laptop after all so I know the GPU isn't the same as a desktop 2060

It still looked fantastic in 1440p with most things on high

Have they announced if more DLC campaign is coming?
I'd love to play out what happens after the cut scene.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to play out what happens after the cut scene.

Yea, I was surprised it ended there

I guess I can uninstall on PC and just re-download if they ever continue

Edit - I cleaned bunch of dust out of my laptop, I'm gonna try playing at the highest settings I can hit 60fps at and see if I get slowdowns

Edit 2 - Heh, can run it from my laptop to my TV at 4k 40ish FPS on mostly high settings, no more slowdowns and pretty much no CPU throttling, game really does look super impressive in 4k

Last edited:

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I just posted to say how awesome that lava effect is. 99% of devs would just make the lava generate AOE damage and maybe leave part of the ground hot. Coalition has it cool into pumice and stay there throughout the whole level.

They really are becoming one of those devs who fill the game with ridiculously granular little details that nobody would notice if you dind't have. Not to the level of Rocksteady, but they are getting there.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything after the credits? I had to bounce before they rolled today and cut it short.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Game was good but it was obviusly last gen games with much higher settings.
On the other hand this had such a good art that it felt better than you initially think it is

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Low key? After watching Digital Foundry talk about the Gears 5 base game... I fully expected Coalition to continue to bring the hammer down with the UE4 engine and they did. Super talented devs.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Just sat and played through all of this and god fucking damn it's good looking, even on just my S