nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
OK, assume googling and reverse image search don't turn up anything odd. Now what? Don't think I didn't notice that a five paragraph post of childish sarcasm didn't actually answer my question, unless by "research" you really just meant "googling" and therefore your position is "if Google turns up nothing, you're peachy".
It depends on what you are trying to achieve, but searching for things is definitely a part of it, yes. I'll leave it at this since Gestault already gave a wholesome answer to your questions.

Are you expecting people to google everything they put up?
Why is this such an outlandish concept to some of you?

I've got a strong feeling in my gut that you only know this because someone else made the mistake first.
So in your optics, marketing is basically an exercise in trial and error? lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Context is important.

Sure, but that's not the case here. There is straight-up GamerGate propaganda in the game. "We don't adhere to this message, but we'll gladly profit from it!" doesn't sound like the most sensible message to put across.

I'm done with GOG, to be honest. And, yeah, CPDR as well. Never cared much about Cyberpunk, so no big loss.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
GOG had a misstep here and people are understandably upset about that (GOG apologised, though; and I actually think that they didn't have any evil intent, they just tried to be "edgy" with that piece of advertisement and made a mistake forgetting about wider context; but that's just my opinion), but the attacks on Witcher games in this thread are getting ridiculous.

Deleted member 11995

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
This is the kind of stunt that earns you some serious side-eye. I'm not entirely convinced that this was a completely innocent mistake. Maybe the past few years have turned me cynical.

Guess all we can do is take that apology at face value.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This is why you don't play with fire. Now you managed to put the fire out but you're tending to the burn wounds. Good luck GOG, hope it was worth it.

Jul 17, 2018
Yeah, I don't think I can support them now with a clear conscience. I like their DRM free approach but some things are more important.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I know this is a old post and that you're long gone, but I read it this morning on mobile and I was shaking my head the whole time.

Your post is the literal template for GG:

• Establish that you barely know anything about GG.
  • Start asking questions. Let us know that all your questions are legitimate.
  • Arrive at your actual point: "Isn't this really about ethics in games journalism?"
  • Bring up the unfair treatment of your fellow GG within the thread.

To the moderation: keep up the good work with this thread, I don't envy you.

Your post nails it. Thank you.

IamAToast

Apr 18, 2018
Germany
I
You don't see a problem with a game supporting a hate group, and a games portal supporting it too? Perhaps you need to visit an optometrist.
For me Postal is satire,bad jokes and everything offensive. That is the point of the game. I am not that offended by that. Maybe I dont understand that. I am not american, I dont boycott everything offensive.

Last edited:

Heroin Cat

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I appreciate the apology, but it was a deliberate move to write Games journalism on that pic. I don't buy it that it went over their heads. Whomever made the pic knew what they were doing given that GOG has never had any issues with game journos and most of the time acts professional like a company should. The question is whether someone okayed the tweet or if it was just typed and posted.

Because GOG should be better than this. I get wanting to make a meme for a controversial game but they could have done it in a better way. Hell, put DRM on the gravestone instead and it ties into GOG's whole thing.

Edit: I didn't realise that the grave was in the game, not just a mock up. Still, shame on GOG for bring attention back to Gamergate. There's a million other things in that game that would have sufficed as a 'controversial' image without relating to a hateful movement or its ideals. Hell, the game is quite racist and got deservedly banned in a bunch of countries, so it wouldn't be much of a loss to just not sell it.

But they won't, so they profit from this controversy from alt-right idiots buying the game because of the initial tweet making it seem like GOG aligns with them. Come on GOG.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I appreciate the apology, but it was a deliberate move to write Games journalism on that pic. I don't buy it that it went over their heads. Whomever made the pic knew what they were doing given that GOG has never had any issues with game journos and most of the time acts professional like a company should. The question is whether someone okayed the tweet or if it was just typed and posted.

Because GOG should be better than this. I get wanting to make a meme for a controversial game but they could have done it in a better way. Hell, put DRM on the gravestone instead and it ties into GOG's whole thing.
They didn't make that pic. It's from the game they were advertising.

Still tasteless but they didn't open Photoshop and wrote Games Journalism on the tombstone.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I know this is a old post and that you're long gone, but I read it this morning on mobile and I was shaking my head the whole time.

Your post is the literal template for GG:

• Establish that you barely know anything about GG.
  • Start asking questions. Let us know that all your questions are legitimate.
  • Arrive at your actual point: "Isn't this really about ethics in games journalism?"
  • Bring up the unfair treatment of your fellow GG within the thread.

To the moderation: keep up the good work with this thread, I don't envy you.

Yeah, one thing GG did was liberally drill their proponents in how to push the agenda while juuuuuust toeing the line to avoid comeback, banning etc. Constant advice images on the things to say, which essentially created a "very reasonable" front line of "different opinions" for which the absolute shits to engage in their nasty SJW ware from behind.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Other things I frequently see are checks for the connotiations of names, phrases, and idioms. Just to give you a cutesy example, one thing to watch out for is stuff like "To each their own". Innocent phrase, right? Yeah, sure, except that the German version is also on the door for the KZ Buchenwald, and thus has a Nazi connotiation. That cutesy little phrase, used completely innocently, can lead to a PR disaster.

Happened to Peek Cloppenburg, just this year.
To be fair, that's the first time I've ever heard of any controversy regarding 'to each their own', and I check facts, phrases and captions in UK publishing all the time. I can't find any major English dictionary/reference, online or in print, that lists a problem with the phrase, it's used all the time to pretty much shrug at the end of a discussion and say 'different people like different things, and that's OK'. 'Different strokes for different folks' is a mainly US variant. I use it all the time myself and had no idea of what Peek Cloppenburg or the phrase in German even was- they don't have shops in the UK, France, Spain or the US so I'm sure many regulars here might not either.

Looking it up, I agree that use of the specific equivalent in German by a German company 'Jedem das Seine' ("to each his own") was a huge problem for Peek Cloppenburg due to their use at the gates to the Buchenwald concentration camp, but use of the equivalent in English has no such cultural connotation I can find. Mainly due to its overwhelming historical use over the centuries as a friendly and polite resignation from a potential disagreement rooted in Latin (sum cuique pulchrum est, 'to each his own is beautiful'), which is presumably also where the horrifically cynical Nazi usage of it on such horrors comes from. None of the sub-editors I work with find a problem with it's use in English either, it's been used by columnists and writers for decades since WWII.

Agree entirely that companies should be aware when adopting slogans what that slogan, when translated into a different language or used raw, means in each market and context it's deployed in though. I don't think a UK clothing company adopting terminology from various atrocities of Empire would be a good PR move either. If a UK company wanted to put 'to each their own' on a shirt, whether they translated it or not, and sold it in Germany, that would absolutely be something a fact-checker should be looking at too.

I'm more surprised at something slipping past quality control for manufacturing for an international retailer with 14,000 staff than I am whoever is running a twitter account though. The problem with the latter is often a lack of eyeballs looking at how the company is represented, fond of the reach it gives a small PR department on a limited budget but with little quality control. That seems to be how twitter causes the end of a lot of careers, an almost unlimited capacity for damage with little oversight, due to it's nature being cheap, fast and irreverent, which is kind of social media in a nutshell and how companies want to be seen as friendly, funny and approachable, yet a single mistake by one individual can cost them dearly.

Last edited:

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Assuming the worst of everyone every time, even against their own word, is not going to make the world a livable place for anyone. If the intention of the tweet was to support GamerGate, they would have doubled down, not apologized.

Glad to see responses like this. It genuinely shocks me to see people asking for them to be fired, even after an honest apology.

We don't have to assume a double agenda everywhere, or that everyone is completely up-to-date on everything. This was just a promotional tweet for a controversial videogame, using advertising material provided by the devs themselves. I work in communications myself and I can see how you could miss a reference like this. Especially with your focus on the more obvious jab at games journalism, which you're alreday considering if it is ok or not to post. I certainly wouldn't have known about this reference.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
For me Postal is satire,bad jokes and everything offensive. That is the point of the game. I am not that offended by that. Maybe I dont understand that. I am not american, I dont boycott everything offensive.

I'm not American either, but I don't think that's a requirement to make a distinction between bad taste and dogwhistling actual hate groups. It's not even "offensive" in the traditional sense of the word, most people won't even know what's supposed to be about; I mean, that's how the whole mess started, in case you didn't notice. It's not meant to offend, it's meant to pander to actual GamerGaters; which, again, the wave of GG rage at the retraction and apology should have made plenty obvious.

Incidentally, those "it's meant to be a joke" and "don't be offended by everything" arguments are eerily similar to the excuses peddled by GG itself.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did some of you feel the same way about Destiny 2 after they removed armour that resembled KEK and explained how the graphics came about? This community embarrassed itself with 20+ pages of conspiracy theories and stating Bungie employed and defended white supremacists, aka "don't believe their investigation/lies".

Some of you do realize mistakes can happen as can no-ill intent actions? What is it with the rise of peddling conspiracy theories and the reflex to deny reality at times? It's downright embarrassing. GOG acted and apologised, there was no ill-intent, end of.

Do you really think the guy that posted in here earlier to give Era a courtesy of a direct response will want to post again on this forum after some of the replies post-explanation/apology? Get a grip on reality and stop the conspiracy theory nonsense, please.

"Their apology means nothing"

No, it clears up what happened and how they acted.

Last edited:

Baleoce

Oct 27, 2017
Did some of you feel the same way about Destiny 2 after they removed armour that resembled KEK and explained how the graphics came about? This community embarrassed itself with 20+ pages of conspiracy theories and stating Bungie employed and defended white supremacists, aka "don't believe their investigation/lies".

Some of you do realize mistakes can happen as can no-ill intent actions? What is it with the rise of peddling conspiracy theories and the reflex to deny reality at times? It's downright embarrassing. GOG acted and apologised, there was no ill-intent, end of.

Do you really think the guy that posted in here earlier to give Era a courtesy of a direct response will want to post again on this forum after some of the replies post-explanation/apology? Get a grip on reality and stop the conspiracy theory nonsense, please.

This word for word. This community needs to look at itself in the mirror.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not the whole community, but it's definitely annoying when too many rush to everything is implausible after the fact. Once something is cleared up and it's a reasonable conclusion the default shouldn't "I'll hang around and try and stir up more drama because I'm seemingly disappointed it fizzled out like this".

Why would anyone feign disappointment (or have real disappointment) this didn't lead to some uncovering of evil through the ranks of GOG? Not everything in life is some superhero movie.

Most times its best just to browse ongoings like this until a conclusion/response arises. Even then it can sometimes be frustrating to see how others respond to a conclusion to the tune of genuinely appearing to be disappointed they didn't get the drama they craved. I'd like to think the default conclusion desired would be one which shows it was a bad timing, a mistake, a coincidence, genuine ignorance or a combination. Whereas it seems some want the thing they claim they don't want just to relish in the drama?

Last edited:

Zaptruder

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): History of downplaying harmful and hateful behaviour - account still in the junior phase.
This community is filled with hypocrites. Kind of people that would thrive in fascism so long as they felt like they were on the winning team.

The world turns to absolute shit when you disallow for the possibility of human error.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Not the whole community, but it's definitely annoying when too many rush to everything is implausible after the fact. Once something is cleared up and it's a reasonable conclusion the default shouldn't "I'll hang around and try and stir up more drama because I'm seemingly disappointed it fizzled out like this".

Why would anyone feign disappointment (or have real disappointment) this didn't lead to some uncovering of evil through the ranks of GOG? Not everything in life is some superhero movie.
Or maybe, just maybe people don't like the idea that the PR rep of GoG thinks that "pissing on games journalism" is an acceptable image for a shop like GoG to be posting if the GG connotations didn't exist.

Instead of making a straw man of "look how out of hand you're getting making conspiracies" how about accepting that people do legitimately take issue with this.

Accusing people of feigning disappointment because they think differently to you is cowardly, and frankly unacceptable conduct.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Or maybe, just maybe people don't like the idea that the PR rep of GoG thinks that "pissing on games journalism" is an acceptable image for a shop like GoG to be posting if the GG connotations didn't exist.

Instead of making a straw man of "look how out of hand you're getting making conspiracies" how about accepting that people do legitimately take issue with this.

Accusing people of feigning disappointment because they think differently to you is cowardly, and frankly unacceptable conduct.

They're advertising an edgy game that aims to low ball offend. A game which as far as I'm aware pisses all over politics, social issues and so on. Journalists/journalism gets pissed on outside of GG. I'm sure you've heard of click bait before and see the nonsense some sites peddle on Facebook and so on? People make crude remarks about news outlets all the time and have done outwith GG.

I'm pretty sure no one in the UK feigns offence over people calling a few of our newspapers rags? Such as the DM, The Sun and so on. For all intents and purposes those are newspapers and journalists. Just not the kind many want to see.

If it wasn't in some way linked to GamerGate, it's not much more serious than fanboy wars around pissing on console manufacturers and nonsense like that.

But it seemingly is related to GG, so the response was to act and apologise. So it wasn't acceptable in this context so action was taken and an apology issued. But that isn't good enough for some, so what happens next? That's what my original post was about. People not able to accept something and move on when it's reasonable and in proportion. A mistake was made, it was removed and an apology issued and some appear to be disappointed GOG didn't live up to their thoughts this was a planned GG employee looking to spread their ill-intent.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of a spot-on interpretation of what happened. "The game is so crude so hey, let's go with this." Out of the two people who regularly work with our social accounts, neither of us was aware that it's far more deliberate and loaded imagery than just your run of the mill, bone-cutting, piss-on-journalism edge.

I gotta say, what gets me the hardest is stuff like "Oh, you guys took a stance but got bullied into apologizing".
I mean no – I'm sitting right here and it's not what happened, there was no stance, only a careless tweet. The outcry did make us aware of the implication. Good. Now we know and we're better for it.
It's kinda baffling that anybody in the industry is unaware of GamerGate and the fact that that sort of imagery would immediately associated with GamerGate.

I don't run GOG but if I did, whoever posted that may need to find another job. I mean, if that shit is intentional, then the person who posted it can fuck right off along with GOG. And if it isn't, as you claim, then WTF is this person doing, they're clearly not qualified to be running a social media account for a gaming-related company.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand

Everyone should read this post before commenting on any thread.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
This community is filled with hypocrites. Kind of people that would thrive in fascism so long as they felt like they were on the winning team.

The world turns to absolute shit when you disallow for the possibility of human error.
Are you gonna go on reddit and complain about era too?

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
They're advertising an edgy game that aims to low ball offend. A game which as far as I'm aware pisses all over politics, social issues and so on. Journalists/journalism gets pissed on outside of GG. I'm sure you've heard of click bait before and see the nonsense some sites peddle on Facebook and so on? People make crude remarks about news outlets all the time and have done outwith GG.

I'm pretty sure no one in the UK feigns offence over people calling a few of our newspapers rags? Such as the DM, The Sun and so on. For all intents and purposes those are newspapers and journalists. Just not the kind many want to see.

If it wasn't in some way linked to GamerGate, it's not much more serious than fanboy wars around pissing on console manufacturers and nonsense like that.

But it seemingly is related to GG, so the response was to act and apologise. So it wasn't acceptable in this context so action was taken and an apology issued. But that isn't good enough for some, so what happens next? That's what my original post was about. People not able to accept something and move on when it's reasonable and in proportion. A mistake was made, it was removed and an apology issued and some appear to be disappointed GOG didn't live up to their thoughts this was a planned GG employee looking to spread their ill-intent.
They could've chosen *any* image to advertise Postal 2.

They chosen one that directly references a set of people who cover the industry they participate in.

At the very best, it's tone deaf. At the worst *excluding GG* it reflects a hostility to the gaming media who at times have been a bit critical of GoG.

To defend the usage of the imagery as the PR person did is unacceptable to some people. That's completely legitmate to do so.

If you don't care about it, fine, don't speak for others or try to discredit them because you don't like their views.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They could've chosen *any* image to advertise Postal 2.

They chosen one that directly references a set of people who cover the industry they participate in.

At the very best, it's tone deaf. At the worst *excluding GG* it reflects a hostility to the gaming media who at times have been a bit critical of GoG.

To defend the usage of the imagery as the PR person did is unacceptable to some people. That's completely legitmate to do so.

If you don't care about it, fine, don't speak for others or try to discredit them because you don't like their views.

You're arguing past GOG. They apologised and gave this reasoning

This is kind of a spot-on interpretation of what happened. "The game is so crude so hey, let's go with this." Out of the two people who regularly work with our social accounts, neither of us was aware that it's far more deliberate and loaded imagery than just your run of the mill, bone-cutting, piss-on-journalism edge.

I gotta say, what gets me the hardest is stuff like "Oh, you guys took a stance but got bullied into apologizing".
I mean no – I'm sitting right here and it's not what happened, there was no stance, only a careless tweet. The outcry did make us aware of the implication. Good. Now we know and we're better for it.

They didn't defend the use of imagery as linked to GG. They said they used it as being "generic offensive piss-on-journalism edge". Some people in the games industry, including journalists, don't live in states of being hyper offended around every single joke or satire of themselves/their industry. Heck, I think it's probably far worse getting threats for giving Zelda a 7/10 than non-GG related jokes about journalism or objectivity/clickbait/bias/etc.

As I said, jokes and satire exist about many journalistic career paths that aren't all linked to GG or hate movements. The everyday people look up to journalists to deliver them news, info, expertise, advice and so on, so there will be arguments and disagreements at times. It's about how you conduct yourself. Postal does appear to be the gutter of joking/satire, but that's on the devs. If it wasn't GG related then it would just be your run of the mill offensive content made for reactions.

It comes back to this seeming disappointment that GOG didn't double down or declare support for GG, so some sort of other drama needs to be kicked up to keep the fire burning. At times it is okay to accept an apology and seemingly honest reasoning and move on. Or prepare yourself to move on because your initial conclusion as the story broke might have been wrong/conceived when all the facts weren't known.

Last edited:

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, sounds like someone did not really think things through when they posted it. Happens.

But the shitshow of a thread filled with people that immediately assumes the very, very worst is staggering.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
You're arguing past GOG. They apologised and gave this reasoning

They didn't defend the use of imagery as linked to GG. They said they used it as being "generic offensive piss-on-journalism edge". Some people in the games industry, including journalists, don't live in states of being hyper offended around every single joke or satire of themselves/their industry. Heck, I think it's probably far worse getting threats for giving Zelda a 7/10 than non-GG related jokes about journalism or objectivity.

As I said, jokes and satire exist about many journalistic career paths that aren't all linked to GG or hate movements.

It comes back to this seeming disappointment that GOG didn't double down or declare support for GG, so some sort of other drama needs to be kicked up to keep the fire burning.
Again, don't you dare speak for me or anyone else.

I'm not "hyper offended". I believe the usage to be wrong, and that it serves to portray GoG as fostering a negative view of part of the industry they participate in.

Guess what, I can say that without crying at the top of my voice, nor does your dismissive posting make my view any less valid because you think that by finding this objectionable that I'm sort of raving lunatic.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, don't you dare speak for me or anyone else.

I'm not "hyper offended". I believe the usage to be wrong, and that it serves to portray GoG as fostering a negative view of part of the industry they participate in.

Guess what, I can say that without crying at the top of my voice, nor does your dismissive posting make my view any less valid because you think that by finding this objectionable that I'm sort of raving lunatic.

I didn't say you were, my implication was as it's been through a few posts. Satire and jokes can exist around journalism without it always being "off-limits".

GOG can joke about the industry they are in, that's what I'm suggesting you'll have to accept? "The gaming industry" isn't some infallible God-like industry. Heck, Kaz Hirai CEO existed to lampoon the industry. It was done in a "tasteful" enough way, unlike Postal which is more of your gutter-satire and jokes.

You're seemingly implying even without the GG link, people cannot joke where they eat? That's just not true and is an entirely unrealistic proposal for an artistic medium.

Even then, advertising an offensive game isn't necessarily a personal endorsement. They're a platform holder, they'll advertise lots of games from the humorous to serious storytelling.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
GOG can joke about the industry they are in, that's what I'm suggesting you'll have to accept? "The gaming industry" isn't some infallible God-like industry. Heck, Kaz Hirai CEO existed to lampoon the industry. It was done in a "tasteful" enough way, unlike Postal which is more of your gutter-satire and jokes.

Tbh. I am not sure that it was done as a satire, knowing they hired and paid Milo for the DLC....

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh. I am not sure that it was done as a satire, knowing they hired Milo for the DLC....

I wasn't talking about the devs of Postal, but GOG.

The devs of Postal are RunningWithScissors. And before the posts in here are brought up that ask GOG to stop selling Postal, that's an entirely different conversation, I've been discussing people being able to accept an apology and an answer when it appears reasonable and honest without seemingly being frustrated more drama can't be kicked up.

edit: This is the Milo thing?

Even a younger me never played Postal. It seems to be the kind of shovelware people waste money on just for the "experience" of buying something taboo/offensive. There's always been a market for doing that, across mediums. Create something offensive or taboo, go viral and get people handing over money for complete shit, just because. People will always be parted from their money like fools.

Last edited:

Deleted member 32374

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I just want to say that I don't have any problem accepting GOGs apology and letting the matter lie for now. They're going to be watched closely for some time to come if more behavior happens like what happened in the future, which is fair and I'm sure they accept that.

As to Postal 2, actually wasn't aware that new DLC had been created or the Devs had turned from "ha ha ha funny" southpark humor to ":complain about sjw:". Well, I can't unbuy the game I bought in 2010 but I can choose not to buy future DLC.

As to suspect user groups on the platform, that's up to everyone to decide whether or not to do business with them in the future. Its a bit disappointing to see that both GOG and Steam have seemingly given up policing these groups. Steam has a whole new set of issues with its new "no curation" policy but that isn't what this thread is about.

Long story short, GOG gets a second chance but I'll be watching to see if they realize the gaming community stopped being fun and games a long time ago. If you want a depressing read, read the Gamergate article on Wikipedia.

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
...I've been discussing people being able to accept an apology and an answer when it appears reasonable and honest without seemingly being frustrated more drama can't be kicked up...

Discussing?

Looked to me like you came out swinging, shouting about conspiracy theories and people getting a grip on reality.

Maybe take your own advice and settle down for a minute. People can and will be unconvinced about how this little episode played out. It's human nature to question things, after all. If GoG totally did make an innocent mistake here, then there'll be no more drama, it'll all blow over after a time and everyone will accept that.

Skronk

Nov 22, 2017

Most of us aren't really arguing about the GG involvement anymore. If you read this thread we're arguing that they haven't apologized for their attack on journalism. That's the part they could easily clarify that would satisfy most people here.

You're the one making up conspiracy theories.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Discussing?

Looked to me like you came out swinging, shouting about conspiracy theories and people getting a grip on reality.

Maybe take your own advice and settle down for a minute. People can and will be unconvinced about how this little episode played out. It's human nature to question things, after all. If GoG totally did make an innocent mistake here, then there'll be no more drama, it'll all blow over after a time and everyone will accept that.

Yeah, I did come out swinging, but it is getting frustrating seeing the rise of conspiratorial thinking, when it's not just coming from people lauded as "right-wing tinfoil hat wearers". There was the Destiny 2 issue I related to which was embarrassing. It died eventually, but right after the answers were given around it there was a wave of "this is lies, Bungie are protecting white supremacists!". It's not as over the top this time, but it does leave a bad taste when someone from the company graces this forum to give a direct answer to the community and some posters are permanently set to "distrust everyone!".

Deleted member 11995

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Yeah, I did come out swinging, but it is getting frustrating seeing the rise of conspiratorial thinking, when it's not just coming from people lauded as "right-wing tinfoil hat wearers". There was the Destiny 2 issue I related to which was embarrassing. It died eventually, but right after the answers were given around it there was a wave of "this is lies, Bungie are protecting white supremacists!". It's not as over the top this time, but it does leave a bad taste when someone from the company graces this forum to give a direct answer to the community and some posters are permanently set to "distrust everyone!".

Well honestly, in 2018 and after the various events of the past few years, I can't really judge people for maybe overreacting a little bit when something like this happens. It's not always an honest mistake, as we've seen more than once.

That's cynical, but these times will do that to you. Hard lessons harden your outlook.

As you say though, any distrust or ill feeling will die down, if there is in fact nothing to see here. I think that's the outcome everyone would like.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
So yeah, I'm Konrad from that Reddit thread. Hello everybody!

Thanks for clearing things up. I was pretty pissed when I saw the initial tweet, so I'm glad to hear it was a case of ignorance and not maliciousness.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well honestly, in 2018 and after the various events of the past few years, I can't really judge people for maybe overreacting a little bit when something like this happens. It's not always an honest mistake, as we've seen more than once.

That's cynical, but these times will do that to you. Hard lessons harden your outlook.

As you say though, any distrust or ill feeling will die down, if there is in fact nothing to see here. I think that's the outcome everyone would like.

Cynicism can take over you and cause you to permanently view the world around you as being out to get you. It's in everyone's best interests to always try and keep a clear head and react to things both proportionately and honestly. When news like this breaks conclusions can be considered, as often what looks to be the case can end up being the case. But when answers or facts come down the line then people need the intellectual honesty to realign positions when it is probable their initial conclusion or hypothesis doesn't line up with reality.

Failure to attempt to reshift your outlook on a consistent basis is often what can lead to on-going conspiratorial thinking. No matter what conclusion or hypothesis you hold, you have to find a way to make that the reality, even if what is the reality isn't quite gelling with your personal views.

I don't blame people for the initial reactions, although I said above I will often sit things like this out till I hear a response, it's what comes after responses/apologies are made that often grinds my gears. More-so if it does genuinely seem to be the case of an honest mistake, yet a sizeable portion of people can't seem to realign their initial hypothesis as the lust for being "correct" overrules the reality.

I guess seeing a "real person" from GOG take the time to engage with Era directly, and then still seeing some of the "your apology doesn't matter" posts, amongst others, just made it a bit more... cringey? Like, cmon folks. Era ain't no collective, posters are individuals, but it's still a community interacting with someone coming on board to try and clear things up for this communities benefit. The GOG staff member does indeed need to be able to handle some public commentary, but some of the responses do verge off into the kinds of thinking I hope some do look back on weeks or months later and think "maybe I was wrong about my initial thoughts there....".

Last edited:

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Cynicism can take over you and cause you to permanently view the world around you as being out to get you. It's in everyone's best interests to always try and keep a clear head and react to things both proportionately and honestly. When news like this breaks conclusions can be considered, as often what looks to be the case can end up being the case. But when answers or facts come down the line then people need the intellectual honesty to realign positions when it is probable their initial conclusion or hypothesis doesn't line up with reality.

Failure to attempt to reshift your outlook on a consistent basis is often what can lead to on-going conspiratorial thinking. No matter what conclusion or hypothesis you hold, you have to find a way to make that the reality, even if what is the reality isn't quite gelling with your personal views.

I don't blame people for the initial reactions, although I said above I will often sit things like this out till I hear a response, it's what comes after responses/apologies are made that often grinds my gears. More-so if it does genuinely seem to be the case of an honest mistake, yet a sizeable portion of people can't seem to realign their initial hypothesis as the lust for being "correct" overrules the reality.
With respect what the hell are you going on about.

It's not a conspiracy theory to say that the posting was a not so subtle dig at gaming journalism, the PR person said as much.

You can defend the right to criticise whoever you like, including part of your own industry but that doesn't preclude criticism. You're conflating people unhappy with the PR response with people making up...what exactly?

So please, outside of this please point towards any conspiracy theories posted here considering you're decrying them here.

You keep on saying about hypothesis not meeting reality yet you make a huge amount of assumption to get there, including what has actually been said officially.

Tell me, if everyone who see the bad side in posting such an image is wrong, what is the positive argument for posting it?