• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When asked for comment on the persisting Resident Evil 4 Remake rumors that have been doing the rounds over the last year or so, Mikami told VG247 that "fans will most likely want it, and so that's a good thing." He also noted, perhaps somewhat self-depricatingly: "It would be great if Capcom could do a great job and make the story better, and put out a good product."

www.vg247.com

Shinji Mikami hopes a Resident Evil 4 Remake "will make his story better"

Should a Resident Evil 4 Remake ever happen, the game's original writer hopes it'll improve on his original story

I find that most of the issues with RE4's story are in it's dialogue and line delivery. Krouser aswell is sort of a "who is this guy?" character aswell. I will say hopefully the stories of 0, CV aswell as 5 and 6 get some major story revisions down the line when they inevitably get remade.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I dunno. Like Symphony of the Night, the cheesy line delivery is one of the reasons people adore the game. There is so much quotable dialog and wacky delivery and campy scenes. People know them by heart with the same energy as midnight viewings of cult movies. Resident Evil 4 without "hey it's that dog" or "the big cheese" or "you're small time" just reduces a lot of what makes Resident Evil 4 so fun in the first place.

I don't know if having a backstory and tender character moments with Mike the helicopter pilot is going to make the story better.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
hopefully they can make saddler's plan make sense while retaining the goofy dialgoue

Oct 27, 2017
Sure. Game won't be like the classic anyways so go ahead. Just make it good.

That being said, I much rather bluepoint style remake of 4.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I played RE4 for the first time fairly recently and came away with a bad taste for its portrayal of the President's daughter. I would hope it has a more modern view of how women and girls should be depicted in games.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
it is hilarious to me to suggest remove the cheesy/corny stuff considering RE as a whole embraced it, and they aren't gonna decide to stop doing it now.
Village is the closest we got to the RE4 tone as well, its fully of cheesy one liners.

And re7 before.. Jack... the chainsaw battle, the garage scene... so good. Adbn the DLC where you just punch everything is the icing on the cake.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Get rid of all the corniness and cheesy dialogue please

As cheesy as the dialogue is, it actually makes the game super fun.

Also, for anyone who wants to play a good looking version of RE4, there is this mod:
www.resetera.com

Resident Evil 4 HD Project 1.0 Now Available (38GB)

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW This is not a remake, it's a remaster created by fans, for fans. The "resident evil 4 HD project" is a complete graphical remaster of the entire game. It includes enhanced textures, 3D models, menus, cutscenes, prerendered videos, lighting, visual effects, and more. The...

Oct 25, 2017
RE4 is perfect just the way it is, but I have strong doubts that they'll succeed in replicating its bizarre tone in a remake. So for that reason I don't want or expect them to keep the specific brand of cheese the game is known for. Playing it straight would also be a mistake because "serious" RE stories are just a waste of everyone's time and effort. So good luck to them, I guess.

OP
OP
Cranster

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played RE4 for the first time fairly recently and came away with a bad taste for its portrayal of the President's daughter. I would hope it has a more modern view of how women and girls should be depicted in games.
But did you know the president equipped his daughter with ballistics?

Apr 3, 2020
I always believing in embracing the original vision and material when it comes to remake a game, rather trying "to fix" what actually community loved, no matter how broken it's.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
IMO the best thing they can do is just, make a completely new game leaning into and expanding on the folk-horror aesthetic of the first half.

But then again Village already did that

Dec 6, 2017
US
Every time I read anything about RE4 Remake it's

why-ew.gif

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Well there's certainly not much to grab onto in terms of the story, but Resident Evil was never along the lines of something like Silent Hill.

brannagan

Sep 16, 2021
Eh, I always like Resident Evil 4 just kinda shedding the previous games build up and layering the behind the scenes politics lightly. We were stuck in or around 1998 since the first game when 4 finally released, nine years going from July to Dec (I think that's when CV took place), with them seemingly struggling to get a substantial story movement going after.

That said, with the hindsight of where it's going, I guess they can make it fit better. I wonder if it's too much to ask for an Ace Attorney style games to fill in the courtroom fall of Umbrella in the intervening years lol

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The original will still exist. I don't mind Capcom practically turning the remake into a new game with some of the same locales, bosses and to a degree the story. Just don't pull the original from sale.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Genuinely feel for the team assigned to remake the greatest game of all time, and especially for the poor writer tasked with updating the story and dialog in a way that's more inline with modern sensibilities.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope the English dub takes a more serious approach this time around. Hot take and all that, but I'd prefer that if the remake is in the same style as the remakes of RE2 and RE3.

Krouser aswell is sort of a "who is this guy?" character aswell.
It'd be cool if they can incorporate the story content from Darkside Chronicles in some way, shape, or form.