• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right but they want to get Ashley back to America and they have a guy who wants to do that but they're stopping him, like I still really enjoy the game, but that's pretty dumb 😅 Could very likely have been a localisation issue, one of those times I'd love to speak Japanese and understand the original context which apparently isn't camp at all.

The weapon switching bit as well is something you do so often that it can be very jarring being pulled out of context so regularly (God of War 4 had the same problem, Control too with its documents).

I don't particularly believe in calling anything a masterpiece which has been improved on in so many ways by it's contemporaries. It is without a doubt one of the most influential games of our history, but say for example Dead Space tackles many of the same challenges and intentions but executed on them(like third person horror gameplay that feels great and doesn't rely on limiting player control for its scares).

One of the few games I would be on board with calling a masterpiece is Tetris. The only games that attempt and exceed the intentions of Tetris are other Tetris games, that core is so strong that it's withstood the test of time.

Still love the game, I just don't wouldn't agree on putting it on a pedestal.
"Limiting player control" is just designing a control scheme, man.

Leon can't strafe because the game would be fucking brain dead with it, and so the game is perfectly, exactly designed and paced for this characters' movements.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
ehh i don't know what's considered a high bar for RE stories, but this one always felt good/fun

I played RE4 for the first time fairly recently and came away with a bad taste for its portrayal of the President's daughter. I would hope it has a more modern view of how women and girls should be depicted in games.

see this right here should absolutely get changed, good choice

Please don't add more crazy Wesker shit.

also this, please do not add that shit here - it mostly only detracts from the series at that point

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly have no hope for current team to make a better RE4. It'll be good fan service for sure.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Right but they want to get Ashley back to America and they have a guy who wants to do that but they're stopping him, like I still really enjoy the game, but that's pretty dumb 😅 Could very likely have been a localisation issue, one of those times I'd love to speak Japanese and understand the original context which apparently isn't camp at all.

The weapon switching bit as well is something you do so often that it can be very jarring being pulled out of context so regularly (God of War 4 had the same problem, Control too with its documents).

I don't particularly believe in calling anything a masterpiece which has been improved on in so many ways by it's contemporaries. It is without a doubt one of the most influential games of our history, but say for example Dead Space tackles many of the same challenges and intentions but executed on them(like third person horror gameplay that feels great and doesn't rely on limiting player control for its scares).

One of the few games I would be on board with calling a masterpiece is Tetris. The only games that attempt and exceed the intentions of Tetris are other Tetris games, that core is so strong that it's withstood the test of time.

Still love the game, I just don't wouldn't agree on putting it on a pedestal.
They want to send Ashley back to America, but first he wants to use her for a ransom. It's in the very first meeting with Saddler, he says they need money to keep the church up and running. When the US pays them, they exchange her for the cash, then she infects all of America anyway. The story isn't good or anything, but this part is pretty well explained actually.

And we'll just have to disagree on whether or not this game is a masterpiece. I don't think many games have improved on it actually. The pacing, the feel of the weapons, the enemies encounters and most importantly, the gunplay, haven't really been topped in my opinion. Dead Space included.

I will agree on Tetris though, as it's one of my all time favorites.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
They want to send Ashley back to America, but first he wants to use her for a ransom. It's in the very first meeting with Saddler, he says they need money to keep the church up and running. When the US pays them, they exchange her for the cash, then she infects all of America anyway. The story isn't good or anything, but this part is pretty well explained actually.

And we'll just have to disagree on whether or not this game is a masterpiece. I don't think many games have improved on it actually. The pacing, the feel of the weapons, the enemies encounters and most importantly, the gunplay, haven't really been topped in my opinion. Dead Space included.

I will agree on Tetris though, as it's one of my all time favorites.

he wants to ransom her even after the american agent rescued her? the same agent who would've taken her back and accidentally helped saddler's evil plan? that's even more dumb. Shit, if they can control the president with las plagas then why not make him give you the money after ashley infects him?

and i haven't even gotten into saddler detailing his evil plan to leon and ashley for no reason.

i know re4 and the re series aren't known for having well-written stories but i dont think it's unreasonable to hope that the remake at least tries to make the main bad guy's actions make sense.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
he wants to ransom her even after the american agent rescued her? the same agent who would've taken her back and accidentally helped saddler's evil plan? that's even more dumb. Shit, if they can control the president with las plagas then why not make him give you the money after ashley infects him?

and i haven't even gotten into saddler detailing his evil plan to leon and ashley for no reason.

i know re4 and the re series aren't known for having well-written stories but i dont think it's unreasonable to hope that the remake at least tried to make the main bad guy's actions make sense.
Saddler had a plan to exchange Ashley for money, then hope she infects the US. Getting Ashley back into the US was never going to be difficult, so Leon unwittingly assisting with the plan isn't needed.

I never said they shouldn't try to improve the story. Another poster said it makes no sense that they're trying to kill Ashley if the goal was to have her infect the US. I'm merely pointing out that this isn't the case in the game. The villains only ever try to kidnap Ashley, and the goal is to use her as a ransom. This is how the villains act in the game and it's why they pick up Ashley and try to carry her away, and why they attack Leon.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Saddler had a plan to exchange Ashley for money, then hope she infects the US. Getting Ashley back into the US was never going to be difficult, so Leon unwittingly assisting with the plan isn't needed.

I never said they shouldn't try to improve the story. Another poster said it makes no sense that they're trying to kill Ashley if the goal was to have her infect the US. I'm merely pointing out that this isn't the case in the game. The villains only ever try to kidnap Ashley, and the goal is to use her as a ransom. This is how the villains act in the game and it's why they pick up Ashley and try to carry her away, and why they attack Leon.

but that still doesn't answer the question of why they don't just let the president pay them after taking over his mind?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've posted this poor take a thousand times, and it's been wrong each time. You're in an extreme minority of people, if you find RE2 remake "boring".
2c9lv2i.jpg

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
but that still doesn't answer the question of why they don't just let the president pay them after taking over his mind?
Saddler is waiting for the eggs to hatch I guess? They don't have control of Ashley yet, US medical professionals can easily remove the plagas.

I'm not dissecting the story to explain why it should win an Oscar. I'm explaining that the enemies aren't trying to kill Ashley and that they have every intention of returning her to the US.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saddler is waiting for the eggs to hatch I guess? They don't have control of Ashley yet, US medical professionals can easily remove the plagas.

I'm not dissecting the story to explain why it should win an Oscar. I'm explaining that the enemies aren't trying to kill Ashley and that they have every intention of returning her to the US.
Except the two monks driving the drill tank.

Those guys went "fuck the police."

Darkknight2149

Ban made permanent due to harassment of staff
Banned
May 27, 2020
Considering all the changes to the Resi 2 & 3 remakes made their stories worse than the originals, I wouldn't hold my breath that 4 will be an improvement. Also doesn't help thats there's almost zero consistency between the games and how the characters are portrayed.
I think there were some improvements:
  • The Kento Gun Shop scene.
  • William Birkin's portrayal in the story. In the originals, he was basically Walmart Albert Wesker.
  • Absolutely Mr. X.
I agree that not everything was better, but it did improve on a lot. Resident Evil 3 on the other hand...

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I dunno. Like Symphony of the Night, the cheesy line delivery is one of the reasons people adore the game. There is so much quotable dialog and wacky delivery and campy scenes. People know them by heart with the same energy as midnight viewings of cult movies. Resident Evil 4 without "hey it's that dog" or "the big cheese" or "you're small time" just reduces a lot of what makes Resident Evil 4 so fun in the first place.

I don't know if having a backstory and tender character moments with Mike the helicopter pilot is going to make the story better.
Yeah, this is how I feel too. RE4 is the closest thing we have in the medium to a playable John Carpenter movie in terms of tone and style. Trying to "fix" it risks taking away more than you'd add. They're welcome to try though.