--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Japan has always been a sticking point for Xbox. I've heard some people at games publishers describe the brand's fortunes in the country as 'cursed'. That seems a bit dramatic, but let's roll with it. Some argue that it all started with the name.

The DirectX box - the Xbox - was always a sort of unfortunate name in the territory. An X is a 'batsu' - a cross used to indicate you've gotten an answer wrong in a test or somesuch. You'll often see Japanese cross their forearms in an X shape at oblivious tourists doing something they shouldn't - a non-verbal way of saying 'don't do that'. This is why on earlier PlayStation consoles, X and O were reversed in Japan - O for 'OK', and X for 'Cancel', the opposite of the West. In the West, X marks the spot. At the electoral ballot box, you place an X next to the person you want to represent you. In Japan, a lot of the time, X means 'no'. The No-Box.

Even if you don't buy that cultural element, it's undeniable that Xbox has had its struggles in Japan. Even its best-selling generation, the Xbox 360, trailed all rivals by millions of units. Since then, it's only gotten worse. But this has never just been about Japan as a market to sell consoles.

This has been a problem for Xbox. Xbox has never particularly been a place to play 'games from Japan'. Some third-parties have been committed to Xbox, while others aren't. It's true that Sony 'money-hats' things like Final Fantasy to keep them off Xbox, but Xbox misses out on countless Japanese titles regardless. Smaller publishers, like Nippon Ichi, just skip the platform because it isn't worth their while. The only way to reverse that is to build an audience within your install base for those publishers to sell to - and that's where first-party output comes in. I'd argue that one point of first-party product is to set an example - and the example Xbox initially set was little output from Japan.

In the 360 generation, this changed: the company inked a range of exclusivity deals for games like Square Enix's Star Ocean 4 and Infinite Undiscovery or Capcom's Dead Rising.

It also bankrolled first-party development on games like Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon from Final Fantasy creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, or generally-forgotten but genuinely enjoyable B-listers like Musou knock-off Ninety-Nine Nights and FromSoftware slasher Ninja Blade. For two entries, Xbox was also the exclusive home of Dead or Alive, and was ahead of the fighting game guest character curve with the inclusion of one of Halo's Spartans in the fourth game. Beyond that, Xbox's relatively lax approvals process and PC-like development environment meant even within Japan it enjoyed the odd exclusive, becoming the defacto home for things like pervert simulator Gal Gun.

Then… well, who knows what happened? To put it nebulously, things just changed. Big time. After a huge influx, Xbox simply stopped publishing games from Japanese studios. By the time we got to the Xbox One, Microsoft could only count a handful of Japanese exclusives or even titles that were primarily associated with Xbox thanks to marketing deals and the like. The most prominent, Dead Rising, was a Japanese IP from a Japanese publisher, developed in Canada. That arguably speaks to where the company's commitment to Japan ended up.

Xbox had released big-budget Japanese games before, but they were almost always agreements with big publishers or independent developers. 'Xbox Game Studios Japan' developed the cult hit Phantom Dust, then closed. But Tango gave Xbox a real development foothold in Japan, with one of the country's most respected creators at the helm.

"I've talked for a long time about our desire to have more of a first-party presence in Japan," Phil Spencer said in a retrospectively toe-curling official interview to celebrate the Bethesda deal closing. "[Acquiring Tango] is a great step there. Thinking about the map of where these teams are, and talking about all the games they're working on… I can't wait to speak to the Tango team and get to know them."

Not four years later, here we are: Tango Gameworks has been shuttered. It's a gut punch.

More than anything, though, it's a gut punch because it sends a message. The wrong message, really. Xbox had one major studio in Japan - no more. Xbox is making deals with third parties and independent creators, yes - it's got something in the pipes with Hideo Kojima, for instance - but like I said, the first party is your north star. It's your best foot forward. The message becomes this: Japanese games are not a priority for us.

No amount of Spencer pow-wowing on the Final Fantasy fanfest stage with the Square Enix CEO changes that. No amount of co-marketing money thrown at Persona or Yakuza to get Xbox versions and Xbox logos on the trailers can undo that message. Publishing a Kojima game might help a bit - but not as much as having a beloved Japanese studio in your actual stable. In the end, Kojima is just a gun for hire - whatever he makes for Xbox will be compared to Death Stranding and his big new spy franchise at Sony.

This is without getting into the optics of this closure contrasted with footage of Xbox's executives lamenting the closure of Lionhead in an official 2021 documentary. "How do we not repeat the same mistakes?" Xbox's Sarah Bond says of Lionhead's demise. "You acquire a studio for what they're great at now," Spencer adds, which under the harsh light of 2024 generates a vibe more toxic than a FromSoftware swamp. "Your job is to help them accelerate how they do what they do, not them accelerate what you do."

Under Xbox, Tango Gameworks did what it did well. It released a critical darling and commercial winner, at least based on executive gloating on social media, which is about the only metric we have for Xbox publishing success in the Game Pass era. Their reward was closure - and in less than half the time it took Xbox to shutter Lionhead.

But like I said - true, fully internal, fully-owned first party is your first impression. It is where perception of your brand begins. Perception is reality; and Tango Gameworks' demise is now the banner-bearer for a particularly negative one. Xbox's leadership team has a Fuji-sized mountain to climb to dispel that.

www.vg247.com

With the closure of Tango Gameworks, Xbox sends an accidental message: it is not a platform for fans of Japanese games

No matter what Xbox leadership says in its livestreams or in statements, one thing remains true: it's relationship with Japan never came first.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Also: "Not a platform for good, creative, award-winning games, unless they sell a fuckton of copies"

Jul 26, 2018
Or Japanese creators, they really didn't think this one through imo. Burned their bridge with any of those studios over there

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Accidental implies that they didn't know they were sending the message but it's clear they were well aware of it.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
It used to be. 360 was the bomb for JRPGs and niche Japanese games. Boggles my mind how that instantly flipped after that generation ended. Xbox is really just a string of dumbfuck decisions, one after the other.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
They're literally going to to get on stage in June and talk about wanting to bolster their presence and relationships in Japan.

Just baffling

Beelzebufo

Jun 1, 2022
Canada
Not exactly a new message no matter how much Phil likes to say otherwise, but it is insane how they finally got another A+ first party Japanese release and then shut the studio down.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Xbox-Square-XIV_07-28-23.jpg

Always seemed forced

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
With all of these closures they're sending more messages than just that.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
everyone knows xbox is essentially dead in Asia. They don't need to message that.

the bigger message is 'regardless of how good your games is; if it doesn't sell, you are useless to us'.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Minus Final Fantasy, things had arguably been better than ever with regards to Japanese content on Xbox. It feels like all that effort, and also what they currently do in Southeast Asia, is now for nothing. The signal is clear, and it's a bad one.

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
With the closure of Tango Gameworks, Xbox sends an accidental message: it is not a platform for fans of Japanese games

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I think they also sent a message that Xbox is not a place where you can reliably build a career at.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
they managed to keep up the pretense to care for like 2-3 years releasing a single title themselves and trying to built relations. For a company as rich that seems like an insanely low amount of time. Should give you the same confidence in their strategy as google killing a product in 2 years time if it isn't going well.

sazz

Aug 3, 2020
London, UK
who knows what xbox is doing but the platform was never one for fans of japanese games anyway because of how many smaller titles skipped the console or were ported much later

Tony72495

Apr 26, 2019
Not exactly a new message.
I mean, that's not a new message lol

The funny thing is Microsoft actually really tried in the earlier days, it arguably affected the entire development of both the Xbox and Xbox 360, either for its benefit or....detriment in the case of the 360.

The Controller S was designed just for Japan and the Asian market, there's even Japan exclusive Xbox games like SMT Nine.

Then Microsoft thought maybe the Xbox didn't sell well in Japan because it was kind of this big bulky box, so the entire design of the 360 was ideally to make it smaller, and more curvy with swooping lines, they figured Japan would like that kind of design better.

The problem was, Microsoft loved what the design team made, but the hardware team now had the problem of getting the IBM/AMD SOC to fit inside the case and not overheat to shit. Given the RROD issues, it didn't work very well in the early days.

But yes, you could legitimately say that the RROD issue happened in part due to the Japanese market, Microsoft was so gung ho on trying to swoon the Japanese market that they arguably compromised the entire system's design and created one of the worst gaming controversies in the entire industry's history with all the unit failures, not to mention still courting Japanese developers with games like Blue Dragon.

And it still didn't work. So I guess by like 2009 they just gave up permanently.

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
Hasn't been in a long time, and even then it was on borrowed time while the competition took over.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
There is 1 platform for fans of Japanese games, and that is Nintendo.

Sony gave up years ago with their own studio closures, decision-making, and USA/UK push, and now Microsoft joins them on all facets. No more illusions.

I must say that in spite of all that, things are arguably better than ever with regards to Japanese content on Xbox. So there is that.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I will never understand huge Japanese game fans who prefer Xbox over any other platform and there are plenty here are on Era

GulfCoastZilla

Shinra Employee
Sep 13, 2022
They sent a message that the investment into their eco system is a mistake. It's not just Japanese games but I get what the author is reiterating for those late to the game in regards to the IP coming to that console.

RagingAvatar

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester
I feel like this is overstating it a bit imo. There's been a lot of bridge building with Japanese developers in recent years. I get that there are a lot of bad vibes today but this is going a bit far.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
The mask is off: they only care about money. And pray for the other studios if their titles are not profitable enough.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
The funny thing is Microsoft actually really tried in the earlier days, it arguably affected the entire development of both the Xbox and Xbox 360, either for its benefit or....detriment in the case of the 360.

Oh, I'm not saying they haven't tried to court fans of Japanese games. They just haven't succeeded. I never really thought about the connection between trying to appeal to Japan and the red ring of death stuff -- that's interesting.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... yeah?
Xbox has failed to court fans of Japanese games, as well as the Japanese market in general. The most they can do is marketing deals with Sega. "Play Infinite Wealth, Persona 3 Reload, and Metaphor ReFantazio on Xbox Series X!" "... Nah" (plays on PC or PS4/5)

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
I always found it weird that Xbox is "trying" so hard to make it relevant in Japan

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
Xbox-Square-XIV_07-28-23.jpg

Always seemed forced
I was at the Las Vegas fanfest in person last summer and man, the audience response when Phil walked on stage was.........tepid, to say the least.

It didn't help that he looked completely lost, like he stumbled into the Convention Center to use the bathroom and ended up on stage. His reading from the teleprompter was so forced and robotic, I'll never forget it. I'm super happy for Xbox fans that get to play FFXIV now, but that was such a weird moment. I don't think JP developers are ever going to fully trust Microsoft after this Tango debacle.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Probably been asked, and hopefully not too off-topic: Could how they revealed this game meant they essentially knew they were going to close the studio well before it was released?

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this is overstating it a bit imo. There's been a lot of bridge building with Japanese developers in recent years. I get that there are a lot of bad vibes today but this is going a bit far.
Is it? They shuttered their only Japanese studio right after they released an awards winning game.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo remains the only one you can count on for sure with that. It will remain that way. This isn't new or accidental.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
Minus Final Fantasy, things had arguably been better than ever with regards to Japanese content on Xbox. It feels like all that effort, and also they currently do in Southeast Asia, is now for nothing. The signal is clear, and it's a bad one.
And even with Final Fantasy, that situation has flipped - FF XIV, likely bringing a bunch of games to Game Pass next month etc. The closure of Tango was so unneccessary but I don't think the work done with Sega, Kojima, Square, repeated presence at TGS etc can be just handwaved away as it is in the article.

namerson23

Nov 6, 2017
I'm still having trouble believing that Xbox was able to get a Japanese studio in their merger deal, that Japanese studio releasing one of the best exclusives in years, and then rewarding them by shuttering the studio.