amara

Nov 23, 2021
The Series consoles are getting way more support from Japanese devs than the Xbox One did. But they could definitely do better getting smaller games on there

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
I was at the Las Vegas fanfest in person last summer and man, the audience response when Phil walked on stage was.........tepid, to say the least.

It didn't help that he looked completely lost, like he stumbled into the Convention Center to use the bathroom and ended up on stage. His reading from the teleprompter was so forced and robotic, I'll never forget it. I'm super happy for Xbox fans that get to play FFXIV now, but that was such a weird moment. I don't think JP developers are ever going to fully trust Microsoft after this Tango debacle.

I mean, besides weirdos like ourselves online, how many actually know or care who Phil Spencer is? My boss who plays FFXIV doesn't know or care and other people I know.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Tango shutting down is wild. But then we look between MS, Sony, and Nintendo and we'll notice only the latter really has their own dedicated major Japanese studio these days.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how that is news.

It's very disheartening to see they may be less of a home to small scale games though. Thank god Studio MDHR and Moon Studios are not owned by Microsoft for instance.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
The message I got from this closure is everything Xbox Executives said in the last few years about fostering creativity among their studios and giving them the budgets to thrive and prevent studio closures was lip service at best… an out right lie at worst.

This whole debacle has left me feeling pretty empty especially given I actively supported the Bethesda and Activision mergers because I actually believed their messaging and wanted there to be continued competition with Sony. Like I bought Japanese games on the Xbox I had no interest in playing in an attempt to vote with my wallet … in the hopes they'd do better to bring more Japanese games west.

But now? 🤷‍♂️
You close your only Japanese studio that produced a banger of a game? Why?
I'm questioning everything from the last four years out of Phil's mouth. And not just his statements on Japan.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
I mean, besides weirdos like ourselves online, how many actually know or care who Phil Spencer is? My boss who plays FFXIV doesn't know or care and other people I know.

It's a fanfest. I would wager the people who go to those are more in the know than the regular gaming audience
People generally seemed to know who he was. His introduction was just met with a shrug.

A quote from the girl in the chocobo hat in front of me as he walked out: "Oh...him."

Probably a more generous reaction than the one he'd receive today.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Japanese game support on Series consoles is pretty good these days, no? Getting stuff like P3 Reload day one on Game Pass is something I wouldn't have imagined even one generation ago.

The message I got this week has nothing to do with fans of Japanese games and is much more systemic in terms of core problems at Xbox.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
They've been sending that message for years, Japan's market has sent an equivalent message back:

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F5250a9c8-4abc-45e2-9e1e-9308ddb22790_1438x810.png

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox's whole message for the last few years has been "gaming for everyone" and the world's response has been "yeah, just not on Xbox."

Kagari

潜在能力解放
Oct 24, 2017
People generally seemed to know who he was. His introduction was just met with a shrug.

A quote from the girl in the chocobo hat in front of me as he walked out: "Oh...him."

Probably a more generous reaction than the one he'd receive today.
Doesn't help that his segment lasted longer than some of the expansion reveals.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The inflection point was probably with Kinect.

I did buy a 360 when they had a bunch of exclusive Japanese games, and to this day, I like those games, but I sold my 360 a year later. 2 years later, I decided to get back into HD gaming, and initially I couldn't choose because both PS3 and 360 were depressingly similar, but after paying attention to Japanese releases, I went to PS3. Why? Simple, because while it was viable to release a 360 version in the west, they wouldn't sell a 360 version in Japan. That more or less told me the direction both MS and Sony were going.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
How's MC2? Always had it in my list back in the days.

Probably pretty dated by today's standards. It's nothing incredible but it's just one of those JRPG JRPGs, you know? Trope-y story (protag has amnesia etc etc) but it's got a fun cast of characters and the battle system is really enjoyable. It's real-time but it's got really a cool link up mechanic. Also I have a soft spot for games with non-human party members lol

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Personally struggling to see who the platform is for at all.

The closures really bummed me out man.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
> Every major Atlus/Sega RPG is on Game Pass, sometimes at launch

"Wow, Xbox hates Japanese games because they closed one studio"

Does closing Tango suck? Yeah, absolutely, they deserved better. Is this article a massive overreaction unmoored from reality? Also yes.

Sep 29, 2020
Xbox really hot this gen running but emulators getting the axe was my point of no return to consoles. I'd even be surprised if we see another Xbox as MS doesn't seem that interested in consoles anymore which is understandable, everything comes to PC sooner rather than later, PC gaming is pretty simple and straight forward and PC sizes easily rival that of Pro console (easily so of we count laptops).

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022

Does closing Tango suck? Yeah, absolutely, they deserved better. Is this article a massive overreaction unmoored from reality? Also yes.
It's tricky because you want to just read the room and can tell people are just venting, but at the same time like 1/3 of my games on my Xbox are from Japan and it's the only reason I can play them.

And then you get people's whole West vs Japan thing where I'm still convinced "western" just means not from Japan to some people, because Lies of P is just sitting there like * shrug *

I'm just scratching my head at a lot of these posts.

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just like with the 360, once Xbox got the Final Fantasy ports, they didn't give a fuck about investing in Japanese games. Now that they paid Sega all the $$$ for Yakuza and Persona + other niche Sega games to be on Gamepass + ports + marketing, they don't need their own Japanese studios. They also eating good with the SE scraps... there's the Japanese support right there.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Funny because even though Sony has more Japanese games, I still feel like they don't necessarily like them either with bow theyre performing worse in Japan with every new system, along with the closure of their Japan studio. They just don't have to do anything though for devs to come to them since they're the most consistent top dog.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
The 18-6 contractor policy they have at some studios sent that message a long time ago 😔

Yeaaa, how they do some things is just insane to me. Their reliance on co-dev and finding partnering studios to do the majority of the work basically means if you're not in a senior position already, there is very little place for you at an Xbox studio, to learn and grow in your craft and discipline.

And this contractor thing as you mention, cycling so many people every 18 months on a project that lasts several years.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Still hard to believe they closed Tango. Like, I understand Hi-Fi Rush probably didn't do as well as they hoped but the game got so much love that you'd think they'd at least give them another chance.. Or at least keep them for Gamepass variety and acclaim.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
The message I got was Microsoft don't want to make games, they want to make money.
And honestly there are easier ways of making money than games so at this point I don't know why they bother.

Krazie

Jun 6, 2022
So I suppose Sony sent that same message when they closed Japan Studio, right?

Or no? I don't remember seeing that sentiment.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Yeaaa, how they do some things is just insane to me. Their reliance on co-dev and finding partnering studios to do the majority of the work basically means if you're not in a senior position already, there is very little place for you at an Xbox studio, to learn and grow in your craft and discipline.

And this contractor thing as you mention, cycling so many people every 18 months on a project that lasts several years.
Forza Motorsport likely cycled through key parts of its dev team at least twice during development, as that game entered pre-production around 2019.

That's an enormous amount of wasted time and lost knowledge on a game using a proprietary engine.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
OG Xbox and 360 had some great Japanese exclusives however anyone who bought Xbox One or Xbox Series as their only console and had more than a passing interest in Japanese games needs their head checked.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
So I suppose Sony sent that same message when they closed Japan Studio, right?

Or no? I don't remember seeing that sentiment.

With the closure of Japan Studio Playstation sends an accidental message: it is not a platform for fans of Japanese games.

People would laugh at this headline because of how ridiculous it would be.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
But i'm playing Strive, SF6 and T8 on my western machine.

Atlus even started to release their games on Series day one.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017

Do peeps just not read stuff anymore?

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
OG Xbox and 360 had some great Japanese exclusives however anyone who bought Xbox One or Xbox Series as their only console and had more than a passing interest in Japanese games needs their head checked.
Okay, but why do third party multiplatform games not count for this. A game is game, if I can manage only one console, I don't need to know it's an exclusive to feel better about it.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, but why do third party multiplatform games not count for this. A game is game, if I can manage only one console, I don't need to know it's an exclusive to feel better about it.
Of course they count, it's just that Xbox now gets *some* multi-platform support when they used to get outright exclusives from the best developers in the country: Sega, From Software, Cave, Namco, Square Enix and more.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, 360 in particular was great for fans of Japanese games. I felt like they were definitely trying for a few years, and even ended up cracking 1m in Japan and some software managing to sell 200k or so. Sadly they didn't stick with the effort and gave up on Xbox One. That also hurts their lineup worldwide since Japanese games sell plenty outside of Japan.

Oct 31, 2017
Sony isn't really doing a great job fostering Japanese games either. Sure they will moneyhat Final Fantasy, but other than that their Japanese output has been severely lacking this generation.

Not only do they continue to have good relationships with Japanese developers, but their relationships with Team Ninja and Square Enix have helped to bolster their Japanese output, not to mention their investments in India, China, and Korea to strengthen their footprint in Asia in general.

Tango shutting down is wild. But then we look between MS, Sony, and Nintendo and we'll notice only the latter really has their own dedicated major Japanese studio these days.

I know Team Asobi isn't "major" even if they're great, but Polyphony has been and still is a major Japanese studio.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Not only do they continue to have good relationships with Japanese developers, but their relationships with Team Ninja and Square Enix have helped to bolster their Japanese output, not to mention their investments in India, China, and Korea to strengthen their footprint in Asia in general.

I know Team Asobi isn't "major" even if they're great, but Polyphony has been and still is a major Japanese studio.

Oh true forgot about Gran Turismo