modiz

Oct 8, 2018
www.videogameschronicle.com

Call of Duty: Vanguard is skipping E3 as Warzone prepares for World War II | VGC

World War II-themed entry will add the most significant Warzone tie-in yet, including a new map…

Activision will not reveal its new Call of Duty game during the all-digital E3 2021 event this week, VGC understands.

Instead, the publisher has opted to reveal its next premium FPS entry later in the summer, likely via an in-game event in free-to-play Warzone, as it did last year with Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.

This year's game is called Call of Duty: Vanguard, developed by Sledgehammer Games, and is currently on track to release on current and last-gen consoles, plus PC, in November.

Vanguard will feature a campaign, multiplayer and zombies modes set in the European and Pacific theatres of World War II, with its plot centring around the birth of modern allied Special Forces.

Warzone tie in for Vanguard:
For 2021's game, Sledgehammer has had far more time to prepare for Vanguard's Warzone tie-ins and we understand it has a significant amount of content planned for the battle royale game, which will officially transition to a World War II setting, just months after shifting to the 1980s.

The plans include an entirely new Warzone map – the series' largest and most ambitious to date – this time planned to coincide with the release of the game rather than arriving months later.

The Vanguard map is said to be set in the Pacific theatre of World War II and is significantly larger than Warzone's current Verdansk environment.

New vehicles will be added to cater to the huge size of the Pacific map, we were told, as well as technology updates powered by the Modern Warfare engine (both Vanguard and Warzone will share technology, unlike 2020's Cold War).

I believe this was already said, but VGC is reiterating that every Activision studio is currently working on Call of Duty:
VGC understands that virtually every internal studio at Activision is now working on Call of Duty.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

"Activision will not reveal its new Call of Duty game during the all-digital E3 2021 event this week, VGC understands.

Instead, the publisher has opted to reveal its next premium FPS entry later in the summer, likely via an in-game event in free-to-play Warzone, as it did last year with Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War.

This year's game is called Call of Duty: Vanguard, developed by Sledgehammer Games, and is currently on track to release on current and last-gen consoles, plus PC, in November.

Vanguard will feature a campaign, multiplayer and zombies modes set in the European and Pacific theatres of World War II, with its plot centring around the birth of modern allied Special Forces."

"VGC understands that virtually every internal studio at Activision is now working on Call of Duty."

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I really can't say I'm excited for a WWII game. Hopefully at least the majority of the game will take place in the Pacific theater since the last one was entirely in Europe.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Isn't the rumor that it's an alternate timeline WWII game - as if the Axis powers didn't lose/surrender? That I can get behind as at least something new.

I'm not surprised they are skipping E3 time frame - I think a lot of the major fall games are going to wait as long as they can to show, if they are behind on their production timelines due to COVID

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Isn't the rumor that it's an alternate timeline WWII game - as if the Axis powers didn't lose/surrender? That I can get behind as at least something new.

I'm not surprised they are skipping E3 time frame - I think a lot of the major fall games are going to wait as long as they can to show, if they are behind on their production timelines due to COVID
That was the original rumor but got shot down.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very much for them working on the MW engine in vain hope they actually get a proper next gen client for Warzone. I would be very surprised if I actually bought vanguard at any point

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Good, Warzone deserves all the focus. Its potential has been untapped for too long.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
So it'll be modern Battlefield vs WW2 CoD?

Interesting...

Too make it even more funny

In 2018 we got A WW2 BF and a CoD set in the 2040's (BO4)

This year we are getting a BF game set in the 2040's and a WW2 CoD.

And both games that are set during the 2040's have no SP.

Last edited:

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
Stop trying to take BF6's shine!

But for real stop doing WW2. You have literally any time in at your choosing. Both series have done near future/future periods. It's okay.

105-Shake

Aug 13, 2020
I'm sure it'll play good and look good, since they'll be using the MW2019 engine, but I just can't get excited for another WWII game. I'll at least check out the Warzone map when it comes out since it'll be free

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
I really am not a fan of WW2 or anything not modern in COD games.. Which is funny because I find WW2 historically interesting

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting with them flipping back to WW2. Skipped Cold War entirely but played the hell out of MW. Guess we'll see for this…

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I really don't know how people will react to this. Looks like the majority plays Warzone because it's set in modern/near past times.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
Not interested in WW2 and doubly not interested in playing Warzone using the same last-gen client without any Current-gen updates.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
ugh, WW2. wish they would stop with those boring ass games, sick of that time period.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I would take this to mean that. They did the same last year for Cold War and it turned out fine.
I mean, Cold War was on fire as well for a long time, Treyarch had to repurpose their 2021 game with whatever they got and release it on 2020.

Also, it was the summer of COVID, where all announcements were delayed or misplaced, so I wouldn't read too much into Cold War being announced late in this particular case.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Good choice, I sure wouldn't bother tuning in if it had it's own livestream event like BF.

Oct 25, 2017
Activision already about to run Warzone into the ground.
People don't want WW2 COD so let's force it into Warzone.
WW2 is boring as fuck
I won't be buying a single Battlepass or Bundle for this shit.

God I hope Battlefield smacks them this year as unlikely as that is.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
"VGC understands that virtually every internal studio at Activision is now working on Call of Duty."

"It is ok to put all your eggs into one basket. It is a very sturdy basket. What could go wrong?" -publisher of Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed COD:WW2 multiplayer a lot, so I don't mind another, but shoving it into Warzone seems like a terrible idea.

People barely stomached Cold War messing with their precious Warzone, and that's basically the same game in terms of themes and setting. WW2 is just too out there for the established playerbase.

Why not keep some things separate? I'm sure they know people won't react well, did they do the math and just don't care because it'll make the most money anyway?

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Realistically this won't be worth buying until season 3 if Cold War is anything to go by. I'll probably hold off on it and play Battlefield until/if Vanguard turns into something decent. I know I said before I wouldn't buy a WW2 game again, but my COD addiction will probably overtake me. We'll see what happens.

No surprise there's no E3 reveal. Activision seem to be intent on doing reveals through Warzone.

Dust

C H A O S
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't rest until all studios on this planet are working on Call of Duty. - Albert A. Vision
AdRsFAhHIeU0Y5jxAomAS7rHtQnWF2YeFzsyawsx4O6a-vy1IyH1vhUP2KvE1zWBnqoFb5nqAlwvNrYXiwVcVBODe0D7HwDAJwCV1JLohW7AEdLDHVuDVspj0l854I0w1U8STzlEz_rDH2OrP9mUkafEVnBm1f5SpOQUoDMEkazJDP-bEig

Ghost250

Mar 19, 2018
If warzone goes full ww2 map, without the option to switch between modern and ww2, warzone is dead in the water.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Might be the first CoD I skip in years. Zero interest in a WWII game right now and the Cold War integration into Warzone was sloppy.

I also fell off Warzone pretty hard some months back. I'll check out the new map but I'm not totally optimistic for the next game.

Last edited:

BIG-JG

Oct 27, 2017
Not interested in WWII type games they are very boring. It's a shame Activision is going to ruin Warzone. Hopefully Battlefield can come through with something cool. ever played a battlefield game.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Cold War was on fire as well for a long time, Treyarch had to repurpose their 2021 game with whatever they got and release it on 2020.

Also, it was the summer of COVID, where all announcements were delayed or misplaced, so I wouldn't read too much into Cold War being announced late in this particular case.
They talked about how this is how they want to reveal games from now on. They want the current title to have attention for longer. And then when that titles 'seasons' are over they reveal the new game with some sort of Warzone event.