Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The driving in this game is some of the most fun I've had for a long time in a racer, the feeling of driving around a track on the edge is very well done. Can't disagree with most criticisms besides that though.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
Games get review bombed all the time. The issue for Sony is this is getting review bombed specifically by PlayStation and GT fans - since it's being brought on by an issue that would only impact them.

Any review bombing in a console wars sense would have happened at release.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Given the apparent updates to make it even harder to earn cars, especially after most reviews were done, I can't blame consumers for this.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
The MTX is part of the game. It's perfectly valid to slam a game with MTX for having bad MTX, being pay to win, or being patched to make the game more grindy to try to pull more money out of people who have already paid full price.
Sure but that doesn't necessarily make the game a 0.

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The game was reviewed without the ability to purchase mtx. Kind of shows they aren't needed to play and enjoy the game no? Unless I'm missing something and reviewers were given a lot more currency?

Excellent point. Had an 87 critics meta!

If this were something like 2K, and it was reviewed with them knowing the upfront micro transactions, the score would presumably be different, I agree!

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Are ppl complaining bc of mtx? I mean there are a ton of games with mtx and racing games too. Or is the complaint mainly towards low payouts? If it's low payouts/economy then ok but if it's mtx then the complainants aren't justified imo.

I have the game btw. Haven't spent a dime and enjoying it.

I'm enjoying it too, but you'll eventually get to a point where it's kind of pointless unless you're interested in heavy hours of grinding to get the racing cars that are high-end especially. And then also things like race payouts being patched lower, and then you see tires cost more than the actual race payout lol.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Just like others have said, that score is still too high. I absolutely LOVE the game, but these decisions are truly anti-consumer and so incredibly stupid. I really hope reviewers change their scores so that they reflect these terrible game implementations.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame because like a few others have mentioned, there's a lot to like about Gran Turismo 7.

Incidentally, a McLaren has just gone up for sale in game for 18x what the same car cost in GT Sport. They're really doubling down on this.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Completely deserved. Usually some outrage machine is what fuels these low rating waves, but this is one of the really rare ones where the game is just fucked at the moment. Server downtime over 24 hours for a single player game, making it unplayable, only to return to an in-game economy that is designed around you spending real money now that it scrubbed race winnings by half in a large number of cases.

It's gone from one of the most hyped games to one of the worst games I've paid for, and we're still not a month removed from the launch of it. The rocket of hype turned out to be a nuclear missile.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
The game was reviewed without the ability to purchase mtx. Kind of shows they aren't needed to play and enjoy the game no? Unless I'm missing something and reviewers were given a lot more currency?
The latest patch lowered the rate of currency you can accumulate in the game, so it's now grindier than the version reviewers played. Pair that with the newly added MTX and… it's not a good look.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like unwarranted user review bombs have really taken the wind of the sails of user review scores for games.

Hope this helps but I wouldn't hold my breath.

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played the game yet, need a PS5 first or maybe waiting for the PC port, but sounds like they are getting the score they deserve. If they are nerfing payouts than fuck em. I have never been a fan of always online DRM requirements for single player content, so fuck em on that too.

Lucky for me I guess since I couldn't get a PS5 in time for launch I get to wait and see if they fix it or if this will be the first GT I have ever skipped.

I guess I need to check out some reviews, because besides this stuff I don't even know how the single player content is. One comment made it sound like it has been scaled back from previous titles and that makes me worried.

Yeah the big problem that the reviews were done before the changes were made. Even people like me who were patient bought after release, after reviews, after user impressions, ended up in the same rough position. Even the always online, didn't realize the implications of it until the servers went down for over a day, and the game was basically not playable save for a few modes. Kind of bummed about this.

May 31, 2021
This is the most fun I had with a racer in a long time, I even spent a few hundred on a wheel because of it.

Lowering the in game payout was some BS tho. Sony needs to reverse it asap.

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Completely deserved. Usually some outrage machine is what fuels these low rating waves, but this is one of the really rare ones where the game is just fucked at the moment. Server downtime over 24 hours for a single player game, making it unplayable, only to return to an in-game economy that is designed around you spending real money now that it scrubbed race winnings by half in a large number of cases.

It's gone from one of the most hyped games to one of the worst games I've paid for, and we're still not a month removed from the launch of it. The rocket of hype turned out to be a nuclear missile.

Haha this is where I'm at too. Spent the last part of over a decade ignoring meta-user scores completely. Then I saw this article and thought for once it's actually reflected something that's happening in reality.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying it too, but you'll eventually get to a point where it's kind of pointless unless you're interested in heavy hours of grinding to get the racing cars that are high-end especially. And then also things like race payouts being patched lower, and then you see tires cost more than the actual race payout lol.
Yeah I think they just need to redo the payouts and make it much more friendlier.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like user scores, especially for exclusives, pretty much always get review bombed by manchildren. Sorta surprised this is actually the lowest, though atleast it's for a good reason for once.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the big problem that the reviews were done before the changes were made. Even people like me who were patient bought after release, after reviews, after user impressions, ended up in the same rough position. Even the always online, didn't realize the implications of it until the servers went down for over a day, and the game was basically not playable save for a few modes. Kind of bummed about this.

True. Though by the time there is a PC port, or I can easily get my hands on a PS5, I assume user reviews will give a good lay of the land in however many years from now that is. I feel for you though, because had I got a PS5 like I planned for this game I would be in the same boat as you and others.

Oct 31, 2017
Hopefully this makes them reverse course on their stupid decisions. I really love the game but lately Sony and PD are being stupid and stubborn as hell. Who's bright idea was it to make a majority of the game always online? GT Sport required online for progression but you could still play the game offline. With this game they locked 99% of the game in always online then reduced payouts from winning races while increasing the number of expensive cars to own in the game.

Bunch of idiots over there at Sony. They need to change course now and reverse whatever actions they took in the past week. The negative PR is legitimately hurting this game that is an otherwise brilliant game. I hate when good games are ruined by stupid and greedy executives at the top.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Hopefully this sends a message to PD and other developers that think this was a good idea
While GT7 is rightfully being made an example at the moment due to the recent outage and credit payout nerfs, this is very much not sending a message as other games with even worse MTX are sitting at a higher user score if it's what we're now going by lol.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
User rating is a way troll games and often a tool used by platform warriors. Why this deserves a VGC article is beyond me.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I love the game but they need to backpedal on the payout changes and always online bullshit for single player stuff.

Jan 18, 2021
Review bombing isn't as bad as waiting till reviews are out to reveal MTX prices, cutting payouts to incentivize MTX purchasing and making the game online only when it doesn't have to be. Oh and all of that in a $70 game.

I saw a bunch of memes looking at Battlefield 2042, GTA Trilogy and Call of Duty Vanguard user scores. It's not a new thing.
The only thing wouldnt be so bad if you could still play the single player portion. Forza Horizon 5 has way more online integration that GT7 but you can play it offline. You just wont get the daily/weekly live service games activites

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Haha this is where I'm at too. Spent the last part of over a decade ignoring meta-user scores completely. Then I saw this article and thought for once it's actually reflected something that's happening in reality.

I spent $90 on this fucking game. You could literally buy any sim-style racing game of the last 9 years and get a less greedy, less fucked experience.

Buying GT7 was a greater mistake than buying Sonic 06. Both are tarnished by greed, but at the least the latter has some sympathy points as deadlines that were the cause for it being terrible. All of the greed in GT7 is deliberate, which is what makes it particularly toxic. This is one of those cases where the greed is trying to be handwaved in the hopes that the game is good enough to get around it, and I hope that this is a story that ends in failure for Sony. A very hard task, as Gran Turismo is their largest IP, but all the more reason for them to be embarrassed often over this.

People should be bringing this up in interviews with PlayStation people. Have public figures be called out over this.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
None of this really helps, even if the initial intentions are good, user reviews are a prime troll gateway.

They should drop the online requirements as FIA aren't an official sponsor for the Sport mode, so cheating really shouldn't be something as excessive. If not, then don't make the purchasing of cars grind-heavy.

I'm lucky as I was busy with work while the game's servers were down but I'd also be furious if I had taken a few days off and bought the game at full price to be met with this nonsense for a mostly single-player experience. It's still a great game, all things considered, bogged down by some dumb decisions.

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Sure but that doesn't necessarily make the game a 0.

That's because a 10 point scale isn't very useful for consumers. A thumbs up or down is much better.

User rating is a way troll games and often a tool used by platform warriors. Why this deserves a VGC article is beyond me.

It can be, but it's not right now. Hence the article. This is an appropriate backlash from the people who bought the game.

May 17, 2018
Oh, so user reviews on MC are good now?

The outage was pathetic, and the mtx are fucked, but, even with lower payouts, this game isn't a fucking 2/10, give me a break,

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Oh, so user reviews on MC are good now?

The outage was pathetic, and the mtx are fucked, but, even with lower payouts, this game isn't a fucking 2/10, give me a break,
Like another user said. 10-point scale makes no sense for a consumer. Thumbs up/thumbs down does. This is an appropriate response for what's happened with GT7 even if you disagree with user scores.

Example of the new grind required

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The latest patch lowered the rate of currency you can accumulate in the game, so it's now grindier than the version reviewers played. Pair that with the newly added MTX and… it's not a good look.

To put this into context, they've just added a car to the Legends dealership that costs 18.5 million credits. It's in there for a limited time (five cars remain in the dealership until 'sold out' - they have limited stock shared amongst all players worldwide - at which point they're replaced with a different Legendary car).

The generally agreed upon fastest way to earn money at the moment is a ~4 minute race that, if repeated, gets you around 800k an hour.

So, to buy this limited time available Maclaren for 18.5 million you'd be grinding out the best-case race for 23 hours non-stop. Or, if you're running out of time and don't think you'll get chance to repeat one race over and over for 23 hours before the car 'sells out', you can simply drop $200 on topping up your virtual currency to buy it now!

Superb.

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
It's getting review bombed for the right reasons.

I love the game, I really do, but the change to the payouts for events, after the reviews, is some really underhanded stuff.

If they want always online, they need to justify it, and there's nothing in the game that justifies an "always online" model.
This! Companies releasing micro transactions and scaling back on payouts after reviews is the most underhanded think the industry does right now

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
To put this into context, they've just added a car to the Legends dealership that costs 18.5 million credits. It's in there for a limited time (five cars remain in the dealership until 'sold out' - they have limited stock shared amongst all players worldwide - at which point they're replaced with a different Legendary car).

The generally agreed upon fastest way to earn money at the moment is a ~4 minute race that, if repeated, gets you around 800k an hour.

So, to buy this limited time available Maclaren for 18.5 million you'd be grinding out the best-case race for 23 hours non-stop. Or, if you're running out of time and don't think you'll get chance to repeat one race over and over for 23 hours before the car 'sells out', you can simply drop $200 on topping up your virtual currency to buy it now!

Superb.
I said this before, but they really just gotta get rid of the cycle for Legend Cars. If you want to value a car at 20,000,000 Cr, fine. But don't put it on a timer. Make it available at all times! Give players something to work towards without crunching or being compelled into breaking out the Benjamins.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Superb.

scumbag shit

OnionPowder

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Color me dubious when this has always been the number one tool of trolls.

Do you not see the multiple page threads that have been propping up here? There's been an extremely negative backlash to the bait and switch MTX nonsense in the $70 purchase. You can hop on metacritic to check out the average Playstation release to see that they're all not red review scores.

unknown.png

If you want accurate reviews that reflect only purchasers, well blame Sony for not providing a review section like Steam does.

OP
OP
catpurrcat

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Superb.

Excellent example. Threadmarked for new folks introduced to this situation.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021

So, to buy this limited time available Maclaren for 18.5 million you'd be grinding out the best-case race for 23 hours non-stop. Or, if you're running out of time and don't think you'll get chance to repeat one race over and over for 23 hours while the car is available, you can simply drop $200 on topping up your virtual currency to buy it now!

Superb.
From my understanding, you can't sell your cars in this game so what's the point of having limited stock of that car except to give people FOMO?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the hatred of user reviews on this forum. They ain't perfect, but they are merely one imperfect tool out of many. We have had two major titles show the flaws in only relying on professional reviewers, Elden Ring and the lack of mention of technical issues and now GT7 and changes made after the normal review period.

oldyella

Oct 27, 2017

So, to buy this limited time available Maclaren for 18.5 million you'd be grinding out the best-case race for 23 hours non-stop. Or, if you're running out of time and don't think you'll get chance to repeat one race over and over for 23 hours while the car is available, you can simply drop $200 on topping up your virtual currency to buy it now!

Superb.
Based on your first paragraph, everyone can't get the car right now anyway. I don't get the point of acting like everyone should have the FOMO to try to grind for a car that will come back on sale in the dealership at a later time anyway. I mean, the game has only been out for 2 weeks. Did people really expect to be able to buy every car by the end of 2 weeks?

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
wait, they have that whole "prices according to real life!" thing going and they're technically a limited stock item, at least until they rotate back in again at an undetermined point in the future?

....were they supposed to be NFTs at one point? Like I'm just trying to imagine how this whole thing gets approved because there's the normal kind of MTX shenanigans that I've seen happened for other game series and then there's just like, the sheer absurdity of how GT7 seems to be set up in the "how did you get the expectation that people would not react negatively to this???" sense.

Deleted member 93062

Banned
Mar 4, 2021
Based on your first paragraph, everyone can't get the car right now anyway. I don't get the point of acting like everyone should have the FOMO to try to grind for a car that will come back on sale in the dealership at a later time anyway. I mean, the game has only been out for 2 weeks. Did people really expect to be able to buy every car by the end of 2 weeks?
Putting a hard cap on items in a game that doesn't even have a marketplace to resell stuff, is textbook FOMO to get people to buy MTX. The car might come back but no one knows when. It's why all in-game stores nowadays have timers on all their items in the store.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The sad thing is that this series used to sell 10's of millions per entry. They didn't need to do ANY of this to make hundreds of millions of dollars. This was just greed for the sake of greed.