• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I think maybe Microsoft should be a bit active with Overwatch tbh, maybe Diablo as well

WoW is in pretty good shape though

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Honestly I kinda would prefer someone from Microsoft take a steadier hand over Blizzard given there myriad of issues lately (especially all the sexual harassment)

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
EA says the same thing when they buy a studio. Give it a year or one bad game and the sentiment changes very quickly.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
1. That's terrible if true, considering Blizzard's work culture.

2. They already fired a shitton of employees so it's obviously not true.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Some of these posts. Lol If the article said MS was taking a hands on approach, people would be complaining about how they're meddling and should just let Blizzard be Blizzard. Every studio they acquire should have a say in what they do, at least initially. If it turns out to be a disaster, then they should step in.

100%. People would complain either way. Microsoft should let these studios explain where they are at and where they want to go and make adjustments as needed.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Honestly it's for the best for Every Redfall there's been Grounded, Pentiment, Hi Fi Rush, etc. time will tell with the other studios but almost all have been better under Microsoft ownership. They still have a cadence issue but with enough teams that can't possibly last forever.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
d4 bad, but if they let Blizzard stick with it like they did Bethesda with FO76, it might be able to turn the corner in the future.

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
From a games perspective it's whatever but uhh, you supposed to be checking on them cause of their work culture was/is super fucked???

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
From a games perspective it's whatever but uhh, you supposed to be checking on them cause of their work culture was/is super fucked???

you would hope so

I think most of the malefactors were fired but you'd want to make sure it didn't happen again. Kotick turning a blind eye is a huge part of why it got so bad at ABK

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
I mean the acquisition is still very fresh. All companies let acquired companies run like before and see how they perform before they make drastic or minimal changes. They already laid off ATB's marketing, publishing and lord knows what else department already, so I think this year's cuts are finalized. I'd be more worried about next year if they can't meet targets or get delays.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Feels like a no win scenario with Blizzard tbh. Outside of WoW which seems to be doing OK they've been all over the damn place and have burned a lot of their rep. But Microsoft don't have a great record with studios they've formed from scratch like 343i either so I dunno if them being more involved with Blizzard would even help.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
But I thought one of the main appeals of the merger was supposed to be that MS would rein Blizzard in?

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
The WoW team seems to be cooking right now.

Everyone is loving the current state and future of the game. So it ain't all bad.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Wasnt their next major project cancelled just a few months ago? I really doubt that decision was made in a vacuum without MS.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Being hands off largely hasn't *helped* MS as far as I can tell. Like, there's been cases where it hasn't actively hurt, but I feel like there's been plenty more where real 1st party oversight should probably, uh, be a thing.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Blizzard has a lot of problems but i trust the dev teams to know better than Microsoft execs. We don't need them meddling in WoW at the moment when it's starting to get it's feet back on the ground.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Kind of a funny thing to say after MS laid off hundreds of their employees but I don't expect them to publicly badmouth their new owners in an interview

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Blizzard of today is not the Blizzard that created their legacy; they're fully the product of Activision. With their egregious cash shop driven mentality, I was explicitly hoping MS would come in and shake up their fleecing schemes of $25-30 pricetags for a single armor skin and $70 sticker for a horse skin disguised as a "bundle" with a paltry amount of currency thrown in. The total amount of cosmetics on sale has to be in the thousands, and they use every psychologist-developed, FOMO inducing, manipulative trick in the gatcha game book, while these armors could instead be in-game rewards for players.

It's really disgusting, and I'm disappointed MS isn't going to end it.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Who's the bitch here referring to? I will throw forum hands for Holly Longdale.

Holly Longdale is literally just the producer for WoW. Do you think she had something to do with these layoffs? Why in the world would you call her a bitch?
I got the impression the post was telling MS to shut up because they are claiming non-interference after just firing thousands of people, which is incredibly hypercritical and awful of MS.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
this team seems pretty successful, so I don't find it hard to believe what she is saying in this case.

That being said I wouldn't expect a producer to speak "against" the company even if they were trying to change them

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
I got the impression the post was telling MS to shut up because they are claiming non-interference after just firing thousands of people, which is incredibly hypercritical and awful of MS.
Holly Longdale is the person who said they're letting "Blizzard be Blizzard", and that poster quoted that exactly before dropping a link to the layoffs and saying "SHUT THE FUCK UP BITCH". Don't know how else you can take that

Cracksun

Sep 2, 2022
Spain
It's funny reading people here that I'm pretty sure have never played a Blizzard game and don't know anything about how the culture changed in the last years.
This is a good thing if it's true but I don't believe when they canceled the Survival.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
The hands off approach hasn't really worked out for MS in this last 12 years imo, but then again there's no assurance a more hand on approach would've work better.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I have no clue how you can see what that poster wrote and thought it was aimed at any one person
Was or wasn't aimed at any one person?

Edit - I initially assumed it was charged, nebulous venting at a faceless corporation, but the all caps shouting is in direct response to the statement of a woman. It's pretty gross.

Yahsper

Oct 29, 2017
One could argue that this is not an improvement judging by how they've been struggling with Overwatch 2
How has OW2 been struggling under Microsoft? They finally gave up on the silly single player idea and committed to the core PVP, made the heroes free for everyone and just announced a bunch of improvements like no more FOMO for mythic skins, a higher tempo for new map releases and reworks, more options for playing with friends regardless of your rank difference and more finetuning for avoiding specific players. The bad position OW2 was in was entirely Blizzard's fault under previous leadership.

edit: lots of people still ignoring that the mass layoffs were already planned under Blizzard too. Calling someone a bitch over a decision she didn't make. Slow clap, Resetera poster.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
This move will be praised right up until one of these studios trips up with something and then there will be a loud outcry that Microsoft needs to manage their studios better

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who's the bitch here referring to? I will throw forum hands for Holly Longdale.
Holly Longdale is literally just the producer for WoW. Do you think she had something to do with these layoffs? Why in the world would you call her a bitch?
I wrote(extremely tired) in response to the headline of the article. Not directed at Holly, she obviously wasn't involved in the mass firing. I'll edit my post to reflect that.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
I think being hands off is great if the studio is efficient and reliable. A developer like Obsidian for instance you would just leave be because they know what they are doing and seem to have great management. There are others who shouldn't have that sort of freedom and I would probably put Blizzard into that camp, at least based on recent history. And that is not even bringing up the general shittiness that has been reported there. Are they able to clean out the studio while being hands off? maybe I guess.