• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samurai1226

Dec 11, 2017
As if MS was good at handling studios, just look at what mess 343i and Turn 10 released after 5-6 years of development

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Wait and see I suppose. "let Blizzard be Blizzard" is maybe not what people want to hear after the "Cosby room", stealing breast milk, repeated sexual harassment and suicide due to bullying.

Though it seems possibly the people responsible for that culture are gone? (I'd need confirmation on that).

It is a weird situation as ideally if a studio "works", you leave them to their devices and if they aren't performing, then you should step in and make changes. In short - MS being hands-off should be a good thing, until it isn't.

Nyandeyanen

Apr 16, 2024
It makes sense in the context of World of Warcraft doing rather well for itself lately, but I can't help but feel like it's a very tone deaf statement what with the horrible work culture and widespread sexual abuse at Blizzard. Especially with how often such things are brushed off as "letting boys be boys."

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Going by MS Studios trackrecord and news of the studios basically having free reign.. maybe it is the rare instance where more meddling should happen

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
Good thing so are the most toxic people they had.

Fun fact, some of your favourite Blizzard games were built by some of those toxic people.
Fun fact, a lot of multimedia we've enjoyed were made by toxic people and that's never going to end.

Hayao Miyazaki is a shitty dad, Christian Bale is an asshole, Steve Jobs was a rotten individual based on his own daughter's word etc etc.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Imo that's a problem with Xbox strategy, they just let their studios do they things instead of giving some creative direction and put a roadmap of future projects in place.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Imo that's a problem with Xbox strategy, they just let their studios do they things instead of giving some creative direction and put a roadmap of future projects in place.

I personally prefer their strategy because it encourages more niche games and innovation.

Sony's strategy for the last 10yrs or so has been one word.

BLOCKBUSTER.

You are right that it then gave very clear direction to studios and tapped really well into what mainstream gamers lapped up, for the most part.

But to me, it meant their output started to look and feel the same. They also completely abandoned indies quickly after PS4 launched. Only recently have they began to court smaller devs again to any extent.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, a lot of multimedia we've enjoyed were made by toxic people and that's never going to end.

Hayao Miyazaki is a shitty dad, Christian Bale is an asshole, Steve Jobs was a rotten individual based on his own daughter's word etc etc.

The point is that it's silly to bemoan the loss of "old Blizzard" when it's apparent that much of "old Blizzard" were explicitly responsible or at least enabled the worst offenses that took place within the company. Just going "yeah well lots of things are made by bad people" is a total cop out for this specific discussion.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
I personally prefer their strategy because it encourages more niche games and innovation.
Also, I think wanting them to take more control is a slippery slope. Their approach to acquisitions now is a direct response to their own mishandling of Lionhead back in the day so I think the positives of limited integration far outweigh the negatives.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
For their successful game that's expected, you don't change a winning team. I wonder if the story is different on other teams, it definitely should be.

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
The point is that it's silly to bemoan the loss of "old Blizzard" when it's apparent that much of "old Blizzard" were explicitly responsible or at least enabled the worst offenses that took place within the company. Just going "yeah well lots of things are made by bad people" is a total cop out for this specific discussion.
Preface: I'm trying to not reply in annoyance nor vitriol.

Just like you (and the other user) I am aware of Blizzard's past troubles. Self-righteousness on a gaming forum doesn't solve anything in the past nor present. In fact, it's performative and as unconstructive, but unfortunately unconstructive performative replies are a big part of the Internet.

Derailing my point about output doesn't make you or the other person special or righteous. It just makes you both annoying. If you *genuinely* care about the topic, go donate to your local workplace protection group/program and make a post to encourage others to do the same over on off topic.

CEChristian

Sep 13, 2023
Brand power sucks, Blizzard is long dead. Having a hands off approach with them might not be the right call... give their IPs to better studios I'd say.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Preface: I'm trying to not reply in annoyance nor vitriol.

Just like you (and the other user) I am aware of Blizzard's past troubles. Self-righteousness on a gaming forum doesn't solve anything in the past nor present. In fact, it's performative and as unconstructive, but unfortunately unconstructive performative replies are a big part of the Internet.

Derailing my point about output doesn't make you or the other person special or righteous. It just makes you both annoying. If you *genuinely* care about the topic, go donate to your local workplace protection group/program and make a post to encourage others to do the same over on off topic.

lol. This is an all timer.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017

Sony's strategy for the last 10yrs or so has been one word.

BLOCKBUSTER.

You are right that it then gave very clear direction to studios and tapped really well into what mainstream gamers lapped up, for the most part.

But to me, it meant their output started to look and feel the same. They also completely abandoned indies quickly after PS4 launched. Only recently have they began to court smaller devs again to any extent.

Activision Blizzard was the most successful publisher that MS acquired, and outside of Bethesda a lot of their acquisitions were teams that probably might not even exist today because they weren't making the kinds of games that allowed them to be financially independent for much longer. It's good to want those kinds of games to be made, but as development becomes more costly and the return on investment is low or even is a net loss then something will end up changing. So the hands off approach only works when you can trust that your teams can deliver and not put themselves in the same position that were pre-acquisition.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
Personally feel most of Blizzard's games are on an upward, especially World of Warcraft, which has surpassed the upward and is rocketing towards the moon right now. So I get it's easy to be snarky about this but will see if it continues I guess.

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
Personally feel most of Blizzard's games are on an upward, especially World of Warcraft, which has surpassed the upward and is rocketing towards the moon right now. So I get it's easy to be snarky about this but will see if it continues I guess.
How is WoW these days? I've not heard a single peep about it.

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
How is WoW these days? I've not heard a single peep about it.
They've been releasing content on a cadence that I have not seen in many many many years. Supporting multiple versions of the game at once through Season of Discovery in Classic, Cataclysm Classic, standalone experiments like the Plunderstorm BR mode, and the upcoming Pandaria Remix for retail. All while Dragonflight has been very very solid and leading into a great looking new expansion with War Within. I've been playing since 2005 and besides my high school glory days this is the happiest I've ever been with the state of the game, personally.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly, I don't think that's good for Blizzard (because of the terrible studio culture + development problems they've been having for almost a decade) or Microsoft (as this "free reign" attitude hasn't worked at all and has only been the source of a lot of problems).

But hey, if they're comfortable...

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
It's not a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" -situation. There are actual nuances between completely laissez-faire hands-off approaches and complete/ overbearing micromanagement and it seems MS have yet to find those nuances in handling their acquisitions to get reliable outcomes every time.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Activision Blizzard was the most successful publisher that MS acquired, and outside of Bethesda a lot of their acquisitions were teams that probably might not even exist today because they weren't making the kinds of games that allowed them to be financially independent for much longer. It's good to want those kinds of games to be made, but as development becomes more costly and the return on investment is low or even is a net loss then something will end up changing. So the hands off approach only works when you can trust that your teams can deliver and not put themselves in the same position that were pre-acquisition.

I suppose you can argue that MS are taking steps to mitigate the types of risk associated with dev costs.

1. Not chasing the AAA banger budgets like Sony, with most of their exclusives
  2. Making more of their games multi-platform
  3. Encouraging smaller, lower risk games from their developers
  4. Making shorter, cheaper games that fit many of the AAA criteria (Hellblade 2)

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, what's wrong with Blizzard? Are they a bad company , what did I miss? (I know about Bobby Kotick but is there more?)

Wing84

Nov 21, 2022
They've been releasing content on a cadence that I have not seen in many many many years. Supporting multiple versions of the game at once through Season of Discovery in Classic, Cataclysm Classic, standalone experiments like the Plunderstorm BR mode, and the upcoming Pandaria Remix for retail. All while Dragonflight has been very very solid and leading into a great looking new expansion with War Within. I've been playing since 2005 and besides my high school glory days this is the happiest I've ever been with the state of the game, personally.
Interesting. Though I avoid the genre because of the time and emotional investment, it's cool to see WoW players satisfied again after years of not being.

It would be cool if Microsoft one day ports the game over to Xbox to get a boost of new players, which would be the financial reason to support the game even more.

Wait, what's wrong with Blizzard? Are they a bad company , what did I miss? (I know about Bobby Kotick but is there more?)

View: https://youtu.be/xchYEdQv2II?si=12itaLcF5x6rX8N8

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interestingly, I don't think that's good for Blizzard (because of the terrible studio culture + development problems they've been having for almost a decade) or Microsoft (as this "free reign" attitude hasn't worked at all and has only been the source of a lot of problems).

But hey, if they're comfortable...
For the past year multiple Blizzard teams have been working double time to course correct a lot of woes for their main games(WoW, D4, and OW2). The evidence is readily apparent that they are all on the upward swing. WoW has not seen player engagement and retention as they have now and that's a direct result of a lot of hard work on their end. I don't play D4 as much but I hear good things and I keep hearing people looking forward to the coming changes for Season 4. OW2 is a night and day difference from a year ago as well. People not liking in-game stores aside, the game has imo never been better.

So as it stands, all these teams imo are earning a chance to show what they CAN do without the presumably many constraints they were working with before(this especially applies to the OW team). Anyone who looks at WoW today cannot sit with a straight face and claim that team hasn't done a full turn around with multiple back flips in-between because they're feeling froggy.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the past year multiple Blizzard teams have been working double time to course correct a lot of woes for their main games(WoW, D4, and OW2). The evidence is readily apparent that they are all on the upward swing. WoW has not seen player engagement and retention as they have now and that's a direct result of a lot of hard work on their end. I don't play D4 as much but I hear good things and I keep hearing people looking forward to the coming changes for Season 4. OW2 is a night and day difference from a year ago as well. People not liking in-game stores aside, the game has imo never been better.

So as it stands, all these teams imo are earning a chance to show what they CAN do without the presumably many constraints they were working with before(this especially applies to the OW team). Anyone who looks at WoW today cannot sit with a straight face and claim that team hasn't done a full turn around with multiple back flips in-between because they're feeling froggy.
I mean, sure, but having to work double time just proves how their management and planning for those games just fucking sucked. I don't know if it's a waking call from the same teams that released those games, or it's just new blood that added new velocity and abilities.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lotta silly responses in this thread. I don't think Holly Longdale, the first and only female executive producer in Blizzard's history, is lamenting the days of boys club culture. The actual subtext here is that for the last decade, Activision Blizzard has been taking a larger role in Blizzard's operations, leading to a whole lot of battles that have nothing to do with the company's issues with sexism and misconduct. (I hear someone wrote a book about it.)

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, sure, but having to work double time just proves how their management and planning for those games just fucking sucked. I don't know if it's a waking call from the same teams that released those games, or it's just new blood that added new velocity and abilities.
Blizzard has had a lot of turnover over the past years that it's likely a healthy mix of both, which isn't a bad thing imo because they have been historically dysfunctional. Good riddance to whoever was holding back the WoW team so damn much.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Curious to see how this works out and if they can actually do well being more self-run. Blizzard had a long history of burning money on very long development periods, sometimes for games that would never come out (Titan, the survival game) so I could see this backfiring and MS having to get back involved, but at the least it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

So the justification of the acquisition keeps on disappointing.

There were articles about how much being merged with Activision and under their thumb harmed Blizzard. Microsoft freeing them from that relationship sounds like a good thing.

Oct 25, 2017
People are missing a thread in this story. Blizzard sees this as a good thing because before they had Activision management and Kotick mucking things up on the regular. Now they don't and people are seeing this as a bad thing because of their perception from the outside. Obviously there is a larger story going on behind the scenes that we're not privy to; has been for years.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah...that's not necessarily a positive thing. The best part about the acquisition was the ousting of Bobby and the other higher ups that cultivated a shitty culture at these studios. If we're not taking a critical look at changing these studios for the better, the benefits of this acquisition is severely lost.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...that's not necessarily a positive thing. The best part about the acquisition was the ousting of Bobby and the other higher ups that cultivated a shitty culture at these studios. If we're not taking a critical look at changing these studios for the better, the benefits of this acquisition is severely lost.
There's no reason to think these studios haven't already been doing that. The layoffs and priority shifts(game cancellations) are very much a part of that process to focus the teams better.

That's not an excuse for layoffs mind you.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Curious to see how this works out and if they can actually do well being more self-run. Blizzard had a long history of burning money on very long development periods, sometimes for games that would never come out (Titan, the survival game) so I could see this backfiring and MS having to get back involved, but at the least it'll be interesting to see how it goes.
Yeah, they probably burned some money on Project Titan. Then they turned Project Titan into Overwatch which made over $1 billion in it's first year and had 50 million players in 3 years.

So, I'm pretty sure they made the money back.

And they could probably do the same with Project Odyssey if given a chance. But, Overwatch was all Kaplan and they might not have someone like that for Project Odyssey.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Lotta silly responses in this thread. I don't think Holly Longdale, the first and only female executive producer in Blizzard's history, is lamenting the days of boys club culture. The actual subtext here is that for the last decade, Activision Blizzard has been taking a larger role in Blizzard's operations, leading to a whole lot of battles that have nothing to do with the company's issues with sexism and misconduct. (I hear someone wrote a book about it.)
Indeed. I also took it as she's primarily referring to WoW's direction, her domain, and not speaking to stuff like Odyssey being cancelled. Maybe a little tone deaf in that sense or too early but it's good to be optimistic..

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Yeah, they probably burned some money on Project Titan. Then they turned Project Titan into Overwatch which made over $1 billion in it's first year and had 50 million players in 3 years.

So, I'm pretty sure they made the money back.

And they could probably do the same with Project Odyssey if given a chance. But, Overwatch was all Kaplan and they might not have someone like that for Project Odyssey.

I don't think you can rely on taking failed projects and rebuilding their corpses into successful projects. That's a massively risky thing, because there's absolutely a world where Overwatch didn't pan out and they burned money twice over. They were an RTS and MMO studio that tried their hand at making an FPS. That's not a safe bet, even if it paid off massively this time.

Like, "dev hell for years and then try to salvage it into a different game" isn't a viable or healthy modus operandi for a studio. Ideally you'd want to have the management and structures in place that it works out the first time.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. I also took it as she's primarily referring to WoW's direction, her domain, and not speaking to stuff like Odyssey being cancelled. Maybe a little tone deaf in that sense or too early but it's good to be optimistic..

Yeah it certainly makes sense that she would personally feel good about how things are going, because WoW is her thing and it's in a very positive place right now overall. There is probably a good deal of "if it aint broke don't fix it" going on from MS, but as far as Blizzard goes it's hard to say how far that extends beyond WoW (strictly talking about development/output, not culture issues). D4 is also on an upward tick given what we've seen about the next big update, but it does still feel like they are doing a lot of figuring out what does and doesn't work instead of executing a specific, winning strategy, and I don't even follow Overwatch anymore.